PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for super damaged hair

Liz_H
December 8th, 2019, 11:40 PM
FINAL EDIT My friend has asked that I discontinue this discussion.

~ ETA I may have overstated the damage. I'll try to see her in the next few days. Too bad we live 45 minutes apart. ~
--------
A friend has asked for advice. Her hair looks awful, not quite straw, but close. Fortunately she wears it just below her ears. I think it's all dye damage. She's doing a test strand of a super moist henna gloss. It's the same one I used, which left my hair in super condition, much more moisture than before.

It looks like her hair needs protein and moisture. I think the moisture should be addressed first. Is that right?

What are your recommendations for improving the quality of her hair, and temporarily improving the appearance?

MamaLou
December 8th, 2019, 11:50 PM
I would start using a hair mask instead of a conditioner every time she washes her hair. I would also always apply a coney serum on the ends because that can do wonders for damaged hair. I personally would blow dry the hair with a (round) brush to get the frizz out, it is not super great for the hair but the hair is also not going to heal itself so sometimes you just got to work with what you have - also blow drying is still a lot less damaging than other heat tools. Definitely use a heat protectant when you blow dry.

Jo Ann
December 9th, 2019, 01:44 AM
I would suggest an argan oil or an olive oil deep treatment (no/very low protein!). There are some good ones (although I would suggest avoiding the Hask Argan Oil Treatment mask--it's got protein and can exacerbate your friend's hair problem). You might have some luck with the African Pride or Creme of Nature brands (you can get them at Dollar General or Wal-mart for less than $2 each)--those are low in protein. She can also try LOC/LCO (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) and ROO (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191) when she washes her hair, as well as WCC or CWC and pre-poo oiling (slather on some conditioner about 30 minutes prior to washing the hair to help the oil come out easier).

Damaged hair is usually needing moisture (from my experience) to get it back into shape. Now would be a good time to start changing up the hair washing/conditioning routine and find one that works with the hair. Moisture-rich shampoos and conditioners can be one's best friend when hair is in that condition. :flower:

0xalis
December 9th, 2019, 01:49 AM
On top of what others have said, she should give her hair a break from colouring, and slowly trim away the damage for a few months.
And introduce her to the world of vegan vegetable hair dyes that are not only vibrant but super moisturizing!

Arciela
December 9th, 2019, 09:51 AM
I would stop all heat, dyes and bleach then do an SMT. Davines io condtioner was my go to when my hair was very damaged. It helped mask it a lot! Also if your friend can stretch washes that may help also.

Seconding the advice of trimming out the damage slowly too.

giraff
December 9th, 2019, 11:46 AM
I second stopping heat, dyes and bleach. And deep moisturizing. Make sure to use a mask that says moisturizing (I used a reconstructing/protein one every week for half a year and ended up with a straw-like result). Let the mask sit for a good while, preferably overnight! Or wear it throughout the day in a protective style. Using a mask and then a conditioner also seems to help my hair.

An other thing I do, that I feel is helping, is to to scalp massages followed by brushing. This helps distribute sebum, which is the best type of oil for your hair.

giraff
December 9th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Wops! Double posting :)

lapushka
December 9th, 2019, 04:07 PM
What is her routine like? Up to the products she uses.
Does she still dye?
Does she bleach?

shelomit
December 9th, 2019, 08:27 PM
Not certain a henna gloss is the best idea straight away. Henna doesn't have protein, but it mimics the action of protein in a lot of ways. If her hair is already verging on "straw-y," thickening it up with henna might only make it more prone to snap and not be worth the conditioning effect. Plus there's all the manipulation involved in a henna application/rinse on that already fragile hair. You'd want a henna-light, super-moisturizing gloss and a lottttt of strand-testing first.

So yeah: build up some moisture immediately, then worry about thickening (whether via protein treatments, henna, or both).

Laurab
December 9th, 2019, 09:52 PM
I've heard that protein can actually make hair more brittle in some cases!
Like the idea is you can fill in the caps in the hair too much with protein, and it'll prevent any moisture from getting in.
I'm not sure how true that is, but there's not a ton of peer-reviewed scientific evidence of this stuff available en mass, so we've just gotta go with the anecdotal evidence we have.
I'd trust your instincts, if you feel like she needs mositure start with moisture.

I agree with everyone saying deep conditioner. the Garnier Fructise treats are really popular on here, and they're not super expensive or hard to find, at least where I live. That might be a good place to start.

Liz_H
December 9th, 2019, 10:53 PM
I agree with everyone saying deep conditioner. the Garnier Fructise treats are really popular on here, and they're not super expensive or hard to find, at least where I live. That might be a good place to start.

These are called one minute hair masks. Do they work better if left on for an hour or two?

Ylva
December 9th, 2019, 11:58 PM
These are called one minute hair masks. Do they work better if left on for an hour or two?

I personally don't believe in any minute recommendations. I leave mine in for as long as I can bother with, which, in my usual hair washing routine, tends to mean around 5-10 minutes. My favourite is the papaya variety.

Liz_H
December 10th, 2019, 12:52 AM
I'll try to see her in the next few days, to get a 2nd look at her hair, and ask more questions. Too bad it's a 45 minute drive over here! We didn't have much time to talk two weeks ago on Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, I'm compiling a list of some basic hair care tips. I suspect she's not enough of a nerd to spend hours poring over the LHC.

The henna gloss I use is super moisturizing. It left my hair much softer than before I used it. It's 1/3 each aloe vera powder, cassia and henna. I use no liquid, only conditioner. Will definitely strand test first. If the test strand isn't softer, we'll reconsider. I've recommended at least one moisturizing treatment first.

Not certain a henna gloss is the best idea straight away. Henna doesn't have protein, but it mimics the action of protein in a lot of ways. If her hair is already verging on "straw-y," thickening it up with henna might only make it more prone to snap and not be worth the conditioning effect. Plus there's all the manipulation involved in a henna application/rinse on that already fragile hair. You'd want a henna-light, super-moisturizing gloss and a lottttt of strand-testing first.

So yeah: build up some moisture immediately, then worry about thickening (whether via protein treatments, henna, or both).

I'm sorry to say I don't know her routine. She has stopped the dye and hasn't bleached.

What is her routine like? Up to the products she uses.
Does she still dye?
Does she bleach?

Thanks for the product recommendation. I'll suggest it along with the Garnier Fructis masks.

Davines io condtioner was my go to when my hair was very damaged. It helped mask it a lot! Also if your friend can stretch washes that may help also. Seconding the advice of trimming out the damage slowly too.

Can you or anyone else recommend a serum? I've never used one, though I would probably benefit from it.

I would start using a hair mask instead of a conditioner every time she washes her hair. I would also always apply a coney serum on the ends because that can do wonders for damaged hair. I personally would blow dry the hair with a (round) brush to get the frizz out, it is not super great for the hair but the hair is also not going to heal itself so sometimes you just got to work with what you have - also blow drying is still a lot less damaging than other heat tools. Definitely use a heat protectant when you blow dry.

MamaLou
December 10th, 2019, 12:57 AM
Can you or anyone else recommend a serum? I've never used one, though I would probably benefit from it.

I've used the inecto divine shine coconut in the past, which was okay. I'm personally not using any serum right now because my hair is so healthy that it doesn't benefit from it.

lapushka
December 10th, 2019, 05:16 AM

For me it does not work better, no. I have tested it with a regular conditioner. But YMMV, it's up to personal preference.

lapushka
December 10th, 2019, 05:18 AM
I'm sorry to say I don't know her routine. She has stopped the dye and hasn't bleached.

Oh that's too bad. Recommending things would be so much easier if we knew a bit more information. :flower: Also things can be very personal with product-use, what works for one might not work for someone else.

Obsidian
December 10th, 2019, 05:55 AM
I've always like this serum, works well and smells nice. Can find it at almost any store that had a decent hair care section.

https://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructis-Anti-Frizz-Frizzy-Unmanageable/dp/B006J44BSI

I'm going to be the odd one out and suggest a protein mask if deep conditioner doesn't help much. Bleaching breaks down the proteins in hair.
My hair normally hates protein but since I bleached it, I do need mild protein treatments periodically.

I need to try a protein shampoo and conditioner, see if that helps while I grow out the damage.

MusicalSpoons
December 10th, 2019, 09:30 AM

For me, any conditioner works markedly better after leaving it on for an hour or more. I tend to go anywhere between 2-6hours (gives me chance to recover from putting it on damp hair before the energy-drain that is showering). But other people find a significant difference after 30mins, so your friend could just experiment with leaving the same product on for different lengths of time and seeing what works best for her.

Edit: there is anecdotal evidence that if no moisturising efforts work, the hair does need protein in order to hold onto the moisture. But I'd recommend trying the moisturising first, or using a conditioner containing amino acids rather than any larger proteins.

giraff
December 10th, 2019, 10:00 AM
For me, any conditioner works markedly better after leaving it on for an hour or more. I tend to go anywhere between 2-6hours (gives me chance to recover from putting it on damp hair before the energy-drain that is showering). But other people find a significant difference after 30mins, so your friend could just experiment with leaving the same product on for different lengths of time and seeing what works best for her.

Edit: there is anecdotal evidence that if no moisturising efforts work, the hair does need protein in order to hold onto the moisture. But I'd recommend trying the moisturising first, or using a conditioner containing amino acids rather than any larger proteins.

That's interesting!

I've even left my conditioner in, without rinsing them out afterwards. It helps a lot when my hair is dry :)

Liz_H
December 16th, 2019, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies. My friend asks that I not discuss her hair, so I'll honor her request.

lapushka
December 16th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies. My friend asks that I not discuss her hair, so I'll honor her request.

If you ask, maybe the mods can do something about removing the thread? I'm unsure about the policies regarding that, so it might not even be possible; but they could lock it for you. I'd report your own first post, and explain the situation. Good luck!

MusicalSpoons
December 17th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Just shooing the gremlins else this thread will never leave my Subscriptions page ...