PDA

View Full Version : Egg hair mask : can you use expired eggs ?

GoldenRussian
December 8th, 2019, 11:15 AM
They've been expired for 3 days, organic range.

Ylva
December 8th, 2019, 11:17 AM
We don't even put dates on eggs, so :shrug:

Go right ahead, I suppose.

ExpectoPatronum
December 8th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Considering it's only three days, I don't see why not? Especially since you're not eating them.

I'd do it on an egg-by-egg basis. If one smells off or looks funny, I wouldn't use it.

GoldenRussian
December 8th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Thank you so much for the quick replies ♥ I will use them for my mask today

Suortuva
December 8th, 2019, 11:38 AM
If eggs have gone bad, you will know it when you open them. The smell is horrible. Otherwise they're fine to use.

Kat
December 8th, 2019, 11:46 AM
3 days after "expiration" they might even still be good to eat. Was this an actual "expiration" date-- as in, "after this date throw these out," or a "sell by" date? Eggs cam be good long after the "sell by" date-- I made something on Thanksgiving with eggs a month past the "sell by" date. They still sank in water, did not smell even a little bad, and didn't have any weird visible gunk when I cracked them open. I was fine.

As others have said, if the eggs are bad, don't put them on your hair-- simply because you won't be able to stand the smell!

GoldenRussian
December 8th, 2019, 11:48 AM
They smelled totally ok ! :) I mixed 3 eggs with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. I was going to throw them out otherwise. I only needed 2/3 of the mix (back length). Olive oil really helped to make it easier to apply.

GoldenRussian
December 8th, 2019, 11:49 AM
3 days after "expiration" they might even still be good to eat. Was this an actual "expiration" date-- as in, "after this date throw these out," or a "sell by" date? Eggs cam be good long after the "sell by" date-- I made something on Thanksgiving with eggs a month past the "sell by" date. They still sank in water, did not smell even a little bad, and didn't have any weird visible gunk when I cracked them open. I was fine.

As others have said, if the eggs are bad, don't put them on your hair-- simply because you won't be able to stand the smell!

I know that they can be kept for quite a bit of time after the date, but I mostly eat them raw so I don't know if it makes it more risky?

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2019, 12:03 PM
I know that they can be kept for quite a bit of time after the date, but I mostly eat them raw so I don't know if it makes it more risky?

Try dunking eggs in water - if it sinks, it's still perfectly fresh. If it stands up or floats just ever so slightly then it's still okay to use in cooking. If it floats near the top of the water, it's gone off.

I don't even understand how they work out expiration dates on eggs because it's so dependant on environment, how porous each shell is, etc. :shrug: Edit to explain a bit further: we keep chickens, and although we're not in the habit of keeping so many surplus eggs that they go off, under very occasional specific sets of circumstances we have experienced that eggs laid on the same day will go off at different rates.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 8th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Yes you can, unless they are rotten, and you'll know that by the smell. You can also eat expired eggs. If you are unsure, put them in water. Fresh eggs sit on the bottom, older eggs stand on their ends but are still ok to eat. If they float, they are rotten, so don't use them. I have eaten eggs weeks after their expiration date, but I do the "float test" to check if they are still ok first.

Chromis
December 8th, 2019, 01:12 PM
You could eat them raw still no prob after the date as long as they are still good. Eating them raw is more about trusting where you get your eggs from and that they were handled well. Eggs last a lot longer than those dates. I mean , by a crazy amount. Usually rotten eggs are not due to age at all, but rather because they got a tiny, tiny crack in the shell or experienced temperate extremes or shifts.

As the eggs get older, the liquid will have shrunk slightly from the sides which is why they become easier to peel when you hard boil them. The yolks will also be flatter when cracked. Fresh eggs have high round yolks that you have to thwack with the spatula when frying if you don't want runny eggs. Old eggs just go sploot and spread right out, can't get the firm "perfect" yolk then.

lapushka
December 8th, 2019, 03:33 PM

That's how we test them too! A few days past can't hurt.

giraff
December 8th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I don't know where you're based, but fun fact: Within the EU, eggs are marked with a 28 days expiration date. However, they're edible for months after that. At least if you keep them in the fridge :) I even read about someone who baked a cake with eggs that were a year old! Unless it smells rotten, you're good to go :D

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2019, 06:03 PM
I don't know where you're based, but fun fact: Within the EU, eggs are marked with a 28 days expiration date. However, they're edible for months after that. At least if you keep them in the fridge :) I even read about someone who baked a cake with eggs that were a year old! Unless it smells rotten, you're good to go :D

I *never* understood why people would keep eggs in the fridge, but just this year we've had central heating installed so now our house actually gets warm - and now I understand :rollin: we keep ours in the outhouse, and I'm not sure we would keep them in the fridge if we didn't have that, but in a house that regularly got very warm (into the mid-20s℃) it's understandable for sure.

As an aside, I looked up refrigerating eggs because I'd heard conflicting things about keeping eggs in the fridge in the past. Turns out in some countries it's necessary, and others not https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/should-you-refrigerate-eggs

Kat
December 8th, 2019, 07:09 PM
I *never* understood why people would keep eggs in the fridge, but just this year we've had central heating installed so now our house actually gets warm - and now I understand :rollin: we keep ours in the outhouse, and I'm not sure we would keep them in the fridge if we didn't have that, but in a house that regularly got very warm (into the mid-20s℃) it's understandable for sure.

As an aside, I looked up refrigerating eggs because I'd heard conflicting things about keeping eggs in the fridge in the past. Turns out in some countries it's necessary, and others not https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/should-you-refrigerate-eggs

Yes, I was surprised when I lived in Thailand that in the grocery store, eggs just sat on the shelf! (A coworker told me a Thai friend told her that the eggs won't go bad until you wash them, but I'm not so sure about that!)

Of course, there you could buy a carton of eggs as small as two eggs, which was nice for me... I don't like to eat eggs, and rarely use them for cooking, so when I do need them, I'm stuck buying a dozen and if I only need two or three, I haven't a clue what to do with the rest... (I've now set it up with a friend that on the rare occasions I buy eggs, she gets what I don't use.)

shelomit
December 8th, 2019, 08:02 PM
Whether or not you have to keep eggs in the fridge depends on the processing that's done to them prior to sale. If the cuticle has been washed off, they either have to be kept in the fridge long-term or dipped in something that will give them an artificial replacement for that membrane (like vaseline or lard). If the cuticle is intact, they should be kept at room temp. Commercially produced eggs in the U.S. always have to have the cuticle removed, or you'll get in trouble with the USDA. In many other places, it's the opposite.

As a person who grew up eating farm eggs through the winter, I'm happy to eat them unless they've frozen (messes with the texture) or actually gone rotten. An older egg will have way less "egg" to it as they dehydrate over time, but it's generally still edible. If you really need to keep eggs long-term, you can dip them in vaseline or fat as I'd mentioned above, stack them in sawdust or straw, and keep them in the root cellar. It's very rare for them to rot under those circumstances.

Ylva
December 9th, 2019, 02:38 AM
Over here, eggs sit on shelves, too; not in the fridge. Also, my mother has always told me not to refrigerate eggs. I don't know why you shouldn't do that but I've just followed her advice, she is so adamant about it. :D

Sarahlabyrinth
December 9th, 2019, 04:10 AM
The eggs in the stores here are just kept on the shelf, at home I keep them in the refrigerator, just out of habit. When I was a child we sailed around the Pacific on a yacht and on board we had eggs which were preserved in - isinglass, I think it was called? Anyway, we ate those eggs over months and months and they were fine. :)

giraff
December 9th, 2019, 05:14 AM
According to "The Information Office for Eggs and Meat" (private organization subsidized by the government) here, eggs are best kept at 8 degrees celsius/at the top shelf in the fridge. They are kept in a fridge in the store as well!

Jo Ann
December 9th, 2019, 05:33 AM
If you're ever in doubt about whether an egg is "fresh" or not, break each one, one at a time, into a saucer or bowl, and pour them (one at a time, of course!) into your mixture. The bad one(s) will reek to high heaven and you won't have to worry about contaminating your mixture :D

SleepyTangles
December 9th, 2019, 05:50 AM
Another vote for smelling them and the deciding ;)

SleepyTangles
December 9th, 2019, 05:54 AM

The Key point Is that you should not store them in the fridge, then at room temperature, then in the fridge again. They can form a humidity condensation and get spoiled.
I

SpottedBackson
December 9th, 2019, 02:32 PM
You can totally use them but they may stink to high heaven.

MusicalSpoons
December 9th, 2019, 02:38 PM
You can totally use them but they may stink to high heaven.

I wonder if the rotting is because of the breakdown in proteins, so they'd actually be smaller proteins and therefore more beneficial for the hair?! :rollin:

Arciela
December 9th, 2019, 02:41 PM
I wonder if the rotting is because of the breakdown in proteins, so they'd actually be smaller proteins and therefore more beneficial for the hair?! :rollin:

I was going to ask the same :agree: I'd use fresh ones just to make sure!

lapushka
December 9th, 2019, 02:46 PM

Our house has had Central Heating since the 70s, since it was built, and we always keep eggs in the cupboard, never the fridge. We eat eggs that are a few days over date perfectly fine (dad applies the sink/swim trick). You don't need to panic if it's a few days past its date at all. Even when you don't keep them in the fridge. Eggs aren't that fickle. ;)

lapushka
December 9th, 2019, 02:47 PM

That is going a bit too far for me. Applying rotten eggs to the hair? What the heck for?! :eye: :justy:

MusicalSpoons
December 9th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Our house has had Central Heating since the 70s, since it was built, and we always keep eggs in the cupboard, never the fridge. We eat eggs that are a few days over date perfectly fine (dad applies the sink/swim trick). You don't need to panic if it's a few days past its date at all. Even when you don't keep them in the fridge. Eggs aren't that fickle. ;)

Eh, it was just something that occurred to me - I don't know many people who have very hot houses or keep their eggs in the fridge. Also, ours don't have expiry dates because our chickens are certainly not that advanced :p The mental image of the chickens date-stamping the eggs is certainly hilarious though, kind of Chicken Run-esque, in a way :laugh:

That is going a bit too far for me. Applying rotten eggs to the hair? What the heck for?!

Because the proteins might be smaller having been broken down and thus be more beneficial ... and it was said in jest! I think even straight fermented rice water would smell positively delicious compared with rotten eggs! :blueeek:

(Btw - eggs, fermented rice water and dairy are never going on my head. No chance am I risking those smells not washing out.)

lapushka
December 9th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Because the proteins might be smaller having been broken down and thus be more beneficial ... and it was said in jest! I think even straight fermented rice water would smell positively delicious compared with rotten eggs! :blueeek:

(Btw - eggs, fermented rice water and dairy are never going on my head. No chance am I risking those smells not washing out.)

Oh thank the Lord! :lol:

shelomit
December 9th, 2019, 08:42 PM
The Key point Is that you should not store them in the fridge, then at room temperature, then in the fridge again. They can form a humidity condensation and get spoiled.
I

Exactly. And if you don't know what the egg-processing methods are in your country, the rule of thumb is to store them the way that you first got them. If you bought eggs from a grocery store refrigerator unit; keep them in your own fridge; if you bought them unrefrigerated (or grabbed them from under the hen!), keep them at room temp.

trolleypup
December 10th, 2019, 12:52 AM
That is going a bit too far for me. Applying rotten eggs to the hair? What the heck for?! :eye: :justy:
Well, this is LHC! I mean, when I got really drunk and threw up and I thought, well I'll have to post about this new hair treatment!

lapushka
December 10th, 2019, 03:41 AM
Well, this is LHC! I mean, when I got really drunk and threw up and I thought, well I'll have to post about this new hair treatment!

:spitting: Oh you crack me up! :D
Thanks for that. Needed it today!!!

eresh
December 10th, 2019, 06:41 AM
LOOOOL Trolleypup!
You made my day :D

lxtcrxlly
January 19th, 2020, 12:11 PM
I use eggs for hair masks that have been a few days past their expiration date and they've still worked wonders for my hair! I guess it depends on if they are truly off, because sometimes eggs last a little longer than expiry dates.

Kat
January 19th, 2020, 06:07 PM
Eggs aren't that fickle. ;)

Ha, this is a great line.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2020, 04:15 PM
Ha, this is a great line.

I say the darndest things. :lol: ;)

WonderGirl
January 24th, 2020, 01:20 PM
They've been expired for 3 days, organic range.

Eggs would have to be outdated by 3d months before I wouldn't use them. I think it's a tactic for people to keep buying eggs but eggs stay good for a long time without dates. You can try the egg test and put them into water high enough to see if they float. floating eggs mean they're older.