View Full Version : Interested in starting using Shikakai

Missymo
December 6th, 2019, 06:09 PM
I've being interested in trying out Shakikai powder for my hair, but I'm unsure really how to use it, where to source it, act. What are the actual benefits to using it? Most importantly, can it cause adverse effects, e.g., hair loss, skin irritation ect? And does anyone a good reliable place to source Shikakia powder within Australia?

Arciela
December 6th, 2019, 09:21 PM
I'm interested in trying the shakikai powder too but unsure where to begin. Following the thread to see suggestions! :flower:

Panthera
December 7th, 2019, 03:17 AM
We have a section about herbal haircare in the recipes, henna and herbal haircare forum, there's quite a few threads about shikakai and herb washing in general, lots of information, you might want to check that. :)

There's not one correct way of using herbs, I like to add enough water to have a yoghurt like consistency, but it can be runnier or thicker. You can rub the powder directly to your scalp if you want to. You can leave it in for a while or you can rinse it out immediately. You can mix conditioning herbs or just use shikakai if you want to. I like to mix reetha, amla, methi and hibiscus and just use the mix like I'd use a shampoo.

Please be very carefull when using shikakai and reetha, you do NOT want to get them in your eyes, they are highly irritating! Trust me, it's horrible.

I have a sensitive skin, shikakai and reetha don't cause any problems as long as I rinse them out very well, otherwise they can cause itching. Cleansing herbs are surprisingly strong and clean your hair very well. I no longer use shikakai because it's a bit too strong for me and the powder actually irritates my lungs, I had to use a dust mask when I was mixing the herbs.:lol: I hope this doesn't sound too scary, I love herb washing, my hair feels better compared to any shampoo I have ever used. It stays cleaner, it sheds less in the shower, it's less tangly too.

Fimu
June 20th, 2020, 01:29 AM
It's a strong acid just like Vitamin C or vinegar, so please dilute it properly and measure the pH beforehand! To be safe and avoid acid damage, the pH should be between 4 and 6.

(I'm speaking from my own bad experiences with too strong acidic rinses)