View Full Version : What was your hair like as a child?

Spinder
December 5th, 2019, 09:40 PM
Has your hair changed, and if so, how much? Colour, texture etc?

As you can see in these photos, mine was quite blonde and straight as a kid... and rather short. As an adult I'm a brunette and definitely have a fair bit of waviness. As well as more length. :p

https://scontent.fybz2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/290968_10151006608743208_2012990083_o.jpg?_nc_cat= 102&_nc_ohc=KDHHpNg3rsQAQkazda2KNmQG7R8S-iOoqmPOVcFmcobb1laqhk_o08Y9Q&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&oh=2bb7b2101d1c22457c75ddf69f64ae0b&oe=5E72E652

https://scontent.fybz2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/51017166_10156398612198208_1988453790851792896_o.j pg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=KpCjEpn_tegAQlGTBgDRTFCUqqMlEM8-94jjW1bKBeogjJpXtlO-xSj1w&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&oh=01dab46216fdb30b671b2f467cdb6505&oe=5E76BA91

Arciela
December 5th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Pretty hair Spinder! :flower:

My hair as a kid was fine and blondette eith ringlets.

Now its auburn, thick and somewhat tangley :lol: it still has ringlets too.

desisparkles
December 5th, 2019, 11:41 PM
aww you are so cute with your furby!!

I had very light brown hair that was wavy/curly then went darker and super sleek straight around elem age.

Then it got wavy again right before high school but because I was used to it being straight I thought it still was and I was just not brushing it right :doh:

katr
December 5th, 2019, 11:47 PM
My hair was golden blonde - almost yellow! and very curly. As I got older it darkened to light brown and the curls turned into waves.

Ylva
December 6th, 2019, 01:22 AM
My hair was thicker (relatively speaking) and kept long for a good while. This picture does not display the colour realistically.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36678&d=1556577637

Then, it was cut into a bob with bangs ('polka hair' over here) out of my own desire because I was tired of tangles and really didn't care for hair at that point, never did as a child.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36685&d=1556577702

My colour has maybe become a little bit darker. I don't remember anything about my texture. My hair was always tangled but I think that was because I was a tomboy and played outdoors a lot, climbed trees etc., and liked to wear it loose. My hair is naturally not particularly tangle-prone at all, it was just a victim of the circumstances.

0xalis
December 6th, 2019, 02:14 AM
Somewhere between waist and hip, brown, worn loose almost 24/7. It was a lot straighter, too. My hair went from 1b to 2a after puberty.
I was also a tomboy. A "pretty tomboy" as my 5th grade crush described me lol. But I don't really remember it ever getting in the way too much.
My hair was very much part of my identity.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/502951766799941633/652436045496844288/unknown.png

This was 5th grade and the last school picture with long hair, before the bob.
After the bob, my hair was still part of my identity, but that identity changed.

Faraniel
December 6th, 2019, 02:20 AM
SHORT, I was not allowed to have long hair like my sister for no real reason.

giraff
December 6th, 2019, 05:13 AM
My hair was pin straight, thinner and blonder. I remember that I at 7 years old was convinced that I was a Britney Spears look-alike.. It would never hold a curl. I think it was mostly cut into a bob or growing out to apl, never had really long hair. At 9 years old, I got it cut like Amélie de Montmartre. I felt quite edgy :pegasus:

Sarahlabyrinth
December 6th, 2019, 05:21 AM
Blonde and curly, changed to waves as I got older, and of course darkened to mouse colour in my late teens.

https://i.imgur.com/TZM48G1.jpg

unheardletters
December 6th, 2019, 06:06 AM
My hair as a child until the age of 5 was pale blonde, fine, and straight, I had so much hair that my mom could not put it in a ponytail because she could not get all of my hair in one hand.
By age 6 my hair started changing. I started growing brown, coarse, wiry, wavy and curly strands and my mom thought it was damage so she plucked them all out for many years. My hair was very thinned out by the time I got to grade 8, that’s when she gave up plucking them out because she could not keep up with them and she started giving me very short pixie cuts so she didn’t have to look at my “damaged” hair.

Suortuva
December 6th, 2019, 06:25 AM
I had pretty much the same colour. But I had long hair until 7, then my mom cut it and I had nothing to say. After that I had lots of ugly hair cuts, that didn't suit me or my hair type.

TatsuOni
December 6th, 2019, 07:25 AM
The same colour as now (when not dyed) but with finer hairs. I used to be an F, until a few years ago.

Laurab
December 6th, 2019, 07:45 AM
I was blonde as a baby, it slowly darkened to ash brown with some blonde highlights in it

It's always been straight and thick, o real change in texture.

It was also perpetually tangled as a kid, I was wondering n sixth grade before I learned proper detangling.

lapushka
December 6th, 2019, 08:26 AM
I am not openly posting childhood pictures, sorry. Just trust me (lol) that I had a pageboy cut and light (straw colored) blonde hair. It grew slowly darker over 1st to 6st grade until it was the color it is now.

You hear that a *lot* a lot about childhood blondes, that they grow steadily darker.

Siv
December 6th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I don't have any childhood pictures, they're all at my parents. But I went from redhead > white > light blonde > light/medium blonde. As a redhead I had M hairs, but when I went blonde it turned into F. Still have some red hairs hiding out in there. I've always been a 1c/2a AFAIK.

Elodea
December 6th, 2019, 09:26 AM
No change in texture or thickness that I'm aware of; although I might've had slightly more sun bleaching going on as a kid than I do now, from spending more time outdoors back then.
I think I had bangs as a young kid/toddler but grew them out after that. Aside from that, my hair has pretty much stayed the same except it's now longer than ever. It gradually grew longer throughout childhood with regular trims; by middle school I had reached waist length which is about where I maintained it until joining LHC.

lapis_lazuli
December 6th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Pretty much as it is now: It was the same brown, thick, medium-textured, and wavy.
When I was going through puberty, some hairs on my head turned coarse but not the majority. I'm not sure if my hair is still just as thick as when I was a kid, or if it only feels less so being 3x longer :confused:

leafygreens18
December 6th, 2019, 10:43 AM
As a toddler/baby I had orange curls, but it grew INCREDIBLY slowly. It was pretty much a pixie cut for all of my childhood. I did cut my own hair once. I had a big bald patch. YIKES. When I got a little bit older my hair was huge and my father would brush it every morning with a boars hair brush. Talk about a hair sin.

bparnell75
December 6th, 2019, 11:13 AM
fine blond and straight. Gradually darkened to an ash/dirty blonde [as my father called it]

Dark40
December 6th, 2019, 01:14 PM
My hair as a child was brunette/dark blonde, and very thick and long. The texture was very curly. Like, 2c/3a hair type. It was almost hip length. As an adult my hair's color still stayed as a brunette or dark brown, and then length also stayed the same as well MBL but now it's at it's longest it has ever been!!! Which is 2" below my waist, and the texture is definitely changing as I am aging! It seems like it's going from 2c/3a to 2a!!!

0xalis
December 6th, 2019, 01:20 PM
My mom and dad were both born blonde and were blonde through part of their childhoods, but me?
Dark brown and kind of curly right out of the womb! Mom says I got my grandma's hair though.

Dark40
December 6th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Mine was also curly during childhood too, and it's still curly now as an adult. My mom also told me when I was a toddler my hair started going blondish. She thought that I was going to be a blonde, and both of my parent's hair is black or dark brown.

jane_marie
December 6th, 2019, 02:35 PM
My hair was a lighter brown than it is now and much straighter. My mom and dad loved long hair so they let me grow it out.

eresh
December 7th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Always long :)
Light brown and pinstraight

Begemot
December 7th, 2019, 12:40 PM
I think my hair has been the same color, texture and thickness my whole life.

lapushka
December 7th, 2019, 01:59 PM
I not only went light blonde to dark ash. I went 1b/c to 2b/c (something like that) as well. From fine and silky straight to "poof" when I was 13 or so, that is the best way to describe it. :lol:

iforgotmylogin
December 7th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Curly and auburn. Straight and dark brown now

Laur
December 7th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Curly and blonde! Curly and dark brown now :)

ExpectoPatronum
December 7th, 2019, 03:09 PM
My hair was long (waist), about a 1b/c and a golden brown color.

At some point in my teens it went curly. Now it's MBL, 3a, and dark brown. I actually miss my childhood hair color.

lithostoic
December 7th, 2019, 04:57 PM
From birth to age 8 my hair was WHITE. It was also probably 1b and very fine. Everything started changing when I was about 8. Hair started darkening and becoming less fine. The waves developed when I was a teenager. My hair is still changing.

gingerninja
December 7th, 2019, 09:37 PM
My hair used to be a much more rich copper shade of ginger now it looks more of a blonde ginger mix. The texture changed completely from 13 onwards it went from being pin straight and shiny to wavy, coarse and constantly frizzy.
It was always kept from bob to apl length as it tangled so easily and I stubbornly refused to take care of it myself.

Estrid
December 7th, 2019, 11:39 PM
It was lighter, started out platinum but got to a light blonde shade when I was around 2 and then it slowly turned to the middle blonde I have today. It was also straighter when I was a kid.

RunOnCaffeine
December 8th, 2019, 02:18 AM
A medium brown, 1b/1c until puberty. I had honey blonde hair for about six months as a toddler, and then it turned brown again. Length was about APL with a full fringe at its longest.

I did like my hair when I was younger, before I kept getting getting it in a bob (because it never sat how I expected it to!).

shelomit
December 8th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Short until around age 6-7, then long. I had ringlet curls until my hair got to waist-length or so, and still do on the lock I keep trimmed shorter at the side of my face ( ; My mother thinks my natural hair color was paler back then, but I don't know--hard to tell as it's been hennaed the whole time and there's not all that much color difference between the hennaed ends and the roots. It may well be, as my dad went from being a tow-blond kid to having matte black hair as an adult. . .

Longlegs
December 8th, 2019, 09:06 PM
It was very curly, then my Mum let me grow it long and it turned into a loose wave. I think the weight of it dragged down those curls, it got wavier when I cut it back to shoulder length but I never got those lovely curls back.

Ligeia Noire
December 8th, 2019, 09:41 PM
Me at around 8 I think....

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25425&d=1480721937

Missymo
December 10th, 2019, 11:08 PM
Mine was a serious of shades of blond. Very pale blond I think as a little child and darkening to about honey blond as a young teen. Now it's a crazy mix of sometimes honey blond, sometimes tinged red and sometimes light brown, depending on the light I'm in. It's always been a handful to manage I think and has always been fairly long. As a little girl, I believe it tasted nice, at least a few goat kids my family had thought so, as they tried eating it instead of their hay.

p3anutbuttercup
December 20th, 2019, 09:26 PM
When I was a three my hair was dirty blonde, straight, and super long. It started to become darker as the years went on. My hair however, was always knotted and I had a sensitive scalp. So my mom had our hairdresser chop it bottom of my ear length.

SnowDancer
January 9th, 2020, 07:40 PM
Golden blonde, curly and classic length. I have a pic somewhere.

But I remember getting lice, as children often do, and my mother crying as all of my hair was cut off.

hunniepie
January 9th, 2020, 08:57 PM
dark blonde, pin straight and thin. It was below my waist until I was 5, then it got cut to shoulder length due to constantly getting tangled.

Spikey
January 9th, 2020, 10:05 PM
Exactly the same as now, but a bit shorter most of the time. Kind of strange how little it's changed, now that I think of it.

Groovy Granny
January 9th, 2020, 10:06 PM
White blonde/see through as a baby, then fine light blonde as a child; it always had a wave to it and curled readily in the humidity, but sadly my hair was kept short as a child :(

Simpscone
January 10th, 2020, 06:00 AM
A lighter brown than it is now, it looks pretty redheaded in some old pictures, and super curly when I was really young - then I didn't realise I had wurls and brushed it out so it was massive hermione-style hair.

BraidedBunch
January 10th, 2020, 01:34 PM
Auburn and straight. Compared to a moused-up strawberry blonde that it grows out as now. It also got wavy as I grew up, but I dumped henna back on it and that relaxed it big time.

Natalia_A00
January 10th, 2020, 02:53 PM
My hair was slightly lighter but it hasn't changed much. I had wavier hair before, but I think that it's because I had it shorter so it didn't weight so much and I didn't use conditioners.

ArtOfNoot
September 2nd, 2020, 03:37 AM
I was a toe head with the thinnest hair on this planet of earth. I REFUSED to brush it most days so it was also a birds nest

Kathie
September 2nd, 2020, 04:00 AM
When I was a toddler I had white blond hair that fell in ringlets... as I got older it got darker and seemingly straighter.

Lucy McLucyFace
September 2nd, 2020, 04:20 AM
1a in texture, almost pitch black. It was so slippery it couldn't hold a ponytail.
Now it's a much lighter colour and a lot more coarse and with more body

Feral_
September 2nd, 2020, 05:12 AM
Dark brown and very straight. Up until age 9 it was long, around mid back length. I remember Sunday hair wash night was hell with stinging shampoo in my eyes, knots (no conditioner) and it being brushed wet with a brush that had metal teeth! My mum wasn’t great with hair :rolleyes: One day she took me to the hairdressers and they cut it off to collar bone length. My dad was sad, he loved my hair long.

Bri-Chan
September 2nd, 2020, 07:12 AM
Medium to dark brown, 1a straight, from shoulder to arm pit. It started changing (and I started wearing it longer) around age of 11.

Bat
March 11th, 2023, 11:55 PM
I had honey blond hair with whispy ringlet at three years old , it got darker and straighter as I got older

Nefcerka
March 12th, 2023, 12:23 AM
My hair was platinum blonde until I was about 6 years old and kept in a boy/bowl cut. After that it darkened a bit into a light brown and it was longer.

embee
March 12th, 2023, 07:36 AM
straight and stringy, dirty blond / light brownish, short "buster brown" cut.

Ada-banana
March 12th, 2023, 08:58 AM
Thick, black and straight.
More Asian hair.
Now: curly!! Brown with red and blonde and medium thickness

rosenester
March 12th, 2023, 10:47 AM
Platinum blonde, very fine and thin, bangs cut as a child under 10. Preteen-teen it thickened to an average thickness and I kept it middle parted and between APL-HL it was rather straight and bright light golden blonde.

It ever so slightly thickened, darkened and became more wavy from age 14 on, to my honey blonde/dark underneath waves I have now since my 20’s.

lapushka
March 12th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Like hay bales blonde. Then it got ashier with time to a mid-ash blonde when I was about 7. To my color age 12/13.

reginaruby
March 12th, 2023, 03:13 PM
I was basically bald until 2, then my hair was goldish blond, and now it’s darker and I think thicker, and definitely longer.

WednesdayAddams
March 12th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Extremely straight, not a hint of curl until approximately middle school (so around age 11, 12-ish). About a level 9 blonde with some slightly darker streaks until, again, middle school, when it began to darken very quickly. It was very very verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry baby-fine and until I was maybe 10, extraordinarily think...think Cindy Lou Who, in the book, not the movies. Like, a tiny wisp on each side of my head in tiny little ponytails.

Hormones happened and SHAAAAAAAAAAZAAAAAAAAM, I got a different head. How often does that happen...

Swune
March 13th, 2023, 05:20 AM
It was extremely thick for a child, and very brown. I would go to the Korean salon for haircuts and the woman there would struggle to figure out what to do with all of it. I think the thickness made it look kind of awkward; I was once asked whether my hair was a wig in school. Now that I’m an adult it’s pretty normal.

angel-baby
March 13th, 2023, 01:07 PM
Thick, fine textured, silky, and bone straight. I was strawberry blonde as a very little girl, and dirty blonde/blonette until I was about 10 or 11. My hair turned brown and developed waves and curls sometime between 6th and 7th grade.

caissafrass
March 14th, 2023, 01:21 PM
My hair was wavy and a VERY bright golden blonde as a child... now it's almost pin straight and tawny. It's still dense and fine as cornsilk.
(I'd kill for my 10-year-old hair)

illicitlizard
March 14th, 2023, 07:14 PM
Really enjoying reading these!

Mine was dark brown and stuck straight up as a baby (thanks double crown which resurfaced when I shaved my head). Then as a child it was blonde, straight and fine, similar to now but a lighter colour.

It was always cut short (apl to chin length bob) because it's been tangly forever and my parents didn't want to deal with it. I was always told that my hair was deceptively thick by hairdressers - I feel like it's thinned with age.
I don't mind the way my hair's changed because it makes me look like my mum which is a nice keepsake of sorts.

tsuki
March 15th, 2023, 07:46 PM
My younger self's hair is what I aspire to today- it was dense and coarse and the type of wavy that made it look straight and poofy when brushed out. And there was a LOT of it. I absolutely hated it growing up since everyone else in my family had the sleek, straight Asian hair that was easy to maintain. It was a source of massive insecurity for me in my formative years and my family regularly commented that my hair made me look like a witch. My hair was always around apl or shorter, in a feeble attempt to make it not look so unruly because there would be "less of it." The lack of weight made it look like I had a lion's mane instead :lol:

I look back after having neglected it for so long and I just want to give my little self a big hug. My hair and I have gone through a lot since then; I've lost a lot of density since I worked myself to the bone during college. However, now that I have my big girl job, things have settled down a bit and I've been able to spend the last year (come April :cool:) nurturing it as a form of self care and healing. The biggest reason I joined this community and why I got into growing long hair was so I could show my younger self that with patience and time, even our biggest insecurities can turn into symbols of our strength.

Hehe, sorry if I ended up sounding a little CHEESY at the end there :cheese:

Solgave
March 16th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Very light blonde and very fine. This is at age 12 :o

It has changed to be much thicker and and some shades darker in my late teens and into my 20s, but is still very light.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48631&d=1678997840

~MoonChild~
March 16th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Ash blonde when I was little, very fine and stringy. In my teens the color looked more golden

AspenSong
March 16th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Still totally straight, but lighter. I was born with white blonde hair that darkened a bit and then was sunbleached the rest of the time.
Never got super long, my mother forced cuts and bangs.

Lady Winchester
March 17th, 2023, 11:39 PM
Naturally curly strawberry blonde and shoulder length, like in my Grade 5 school picture:

https://i.imgur.com/PdetKyK.jpg

It's not that I wasn't allowed to have longer hair, my Mom just didn't like dealing with it. I didn't start growing it longer until I got out of high school (probably because I used to dye it in 11th and 12th grade and it was so damaged it didn't grow past my shoulders). Though I lost it a couple of years ago when I was undergoing chemo treatments, it has grown back to the length it was before I got diagnosed with breast cancer (which is mid-back range, just below my bra strap). I am now nearly four years cancer free (I count it from when I had the cancer removed, which is early October, not when I was first diagnosed, which was close to my birthday in 2019. Boy, did that birthday suck). :cry:

Brandt
March 18th, 2023, 01:23 AM
Bangs! That's how my mom always cut my hair (I didn't even part it until I was a teenager). But then that was the 1970s. Hair color was mostly dark blonde with a hint of red. It was super-straight, except apparently when I was 1, my mom said it was curly and bright blonde, but it went straight pretty fast after that.

Angelica
March 18th, 2023, 07:01 AM
Exactly the same. Thin and fine. Very poker straight. Hair that never grew up.

kikuhoshi
March 18th, 2023, 09:36 PM
My hair's texture has stayed about the same - still spiderweb-fine, still annoyingly straight - but the color did "dull" from a dark golden blonde to a light brown (with a red tint) after I had my child.

mermaid lullaby
March 19th, 2023, 09:50 PM
I had straight across bangs with bsl hair. Other than that it hasn't changed