PDA

View Full Version : Help me hair type

giraff
December 5th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Hi all,

I need some help figuring out what hair type I have. I've looked at the example photos, but have no idea of whether I'm 1b, 1c, 2a or what.

Here is a picture of my hair after drying from completely wet, no brushing or towelling.

https://i.imgur.com/2I9CyNA.jpg

Zesty
December 5th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I'd say 2a, from that picture.

Ylva
December 5th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Looks 2a-ish.

Lady Stardust
December 5th, 2019, 11:22 AM
I would say 2a as well.

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I agree, 2a :)

giraff
December 5th, 2019, 11:37 AM
All right! Seems like everyone agrees :laugh: Thank you so much!

lapushka
December 5th, 2019, 03:24 PM
I think about 2a as well, if it still matters, maybe 1c/2a, but it seems a little too "stringy" for that, so yeah, 2a'ish.

giraff
December 5th, 2019, 04:10 PM
I think about 2a as well, if it still matters, maybe 1c/2a, but it seems a little too "stringy" for that, so yeah, 2a'ish.

I'm excited to see if it will change once my hair gets a bit longer. I sort of remember that it would lay a bit more flat at apl/bsl, but it's been some years!

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2019, 04:15 PM
I'm excited to see if it will change once my hair gets a bit longer. I sort of remember that it would lay a bit more flat at apl/bsl, but it's been some years!

Depending on what your routine has been like up until this point, you might even find more texture if your routine becomes more moisturising ;)

giraff
December 5th, 2019, 04:17 PM
Depending on what your routine has been like up until this point, you might even find more texture if your routine becomes more moisturising ;)

Good to know! What would that entail? Creams? No sulfates?

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2019, 04:32 PM
Good to know! What would that entail? Creams? No sulfates?

It really depends on your hair. Double-conditioning is always a good place to start, CWC or WCC. You may benefit from oiling, leave-ins, rinse-out oil (ROO, during a wash) but you don't *have* to try everything - and only make one change at a time to see if it makes any difference, or enough of a difference to be worth the effort. Double-conditioning is a simple and easy place to start because you don't need to buy anything else or make any huge changes to try it.

You could try sulphate-free, or even just milder shampoos (only containing SLES instead of both SLS and SLES), but if your scalp isn't happy with a change then make sure to go back to what you know works for it. If your scalp requires harsher shampoo then give it what it needs, and you can usually make up for it on your hair with conditioning methods.

I personally CWC and benefit from leaving the first C on for a few hours before getting in the shower - I also pre-poo with oil and ROO but honestly that extra time for the first conditioner made a huge difference that was immediately noticeable (even though I was already doing ROO in my routine as well). Even now, if I haven't left it on for long enough by my hair's standards, despite the rest of my wash routine being moisturising my hair still lets me know :lol:

giraff
December 5th, 2019, 04:39 PM
I personally CWC and benefit from leaving the first C on for a few hours before getting in the shower -

My hair doesn't really get greasy before 5-6 days in, so I could definitely try a milder shampoo. Do you put the first C in dry hair? Thanks for taking the time to write out all of that! I'll give it a try!

0xalis
December 5th, 2019, 05:36 PM
We have very similar waves, so I definitely agree with 2a. My hair gets straighter when it's greasy or long with no layers, too.
But at your length it's always undeniably wavy when freshly washed, just like that!

giraff
December 5th, 2019, 06:50 PM
We have very similar waves, so I definitely agree with 2a. My hair gets straighter when it's greasy or long with no layers, too.
But at your length it's always undeniably wavy when freshly washed, just like that!

Twinsies! I'm looking forward to seeing your wavy hair! How does your hair work with shorter looks? My hair was all over the place when I had a pixie cut. I basically had to wash it/put water in it every day, in order to make it lay sort of flat.

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2019, 07:26 PM
My hair doesn't really get greasy before 5-6 days in, so I could definitely try a milder shampoo. Do you put the first C in dry hair? Thanks for taking the time to write out all of that! I'll give it a try!

No worries! I dampen my hair before the first C.

any of these methods out; the intention is just to make you aware of several options so you can choose whether to try any of them or not :)]

giraff
December 5th, 2019, 07:32 PM
No worries! I dampen my hair before the first C.

any of these methods out; the intention is just to make you aware of several options so you can choose whether to try any of them or not :)]

Cool! No worries, I'm just in a phase where I'd like to experiment and explore to see if anything works better than my current routine :)

Dark40
December 5th, 2019, 08:42 PM
I also think it's 2a too.

0xalis
December 5th, 2019, 08:49 PM
Twinsies! I'm looking forward to seeing your wavy hair! How does your hair work with shorter looks? My hair was all over the place when I had a pixie cut. I basically had to wash it/put water in it every day, in order to make it lay sort of flat.

Yep! Buzzed was easy, until it grew out about 2 inches. Then I started getting crazy cowlicks lol.
It just looks super messy most of the time when it's short. But Its suits me haha. And yeah definitely water to keep it neat when necessary.
At this length, it stays pretty straight a lot of the time. The wave comes out most when freshly washed,
but not so obvious as when It's chin length or longer. Mostly just flippy or curled in ends.
When my hair is shoulder to APL that's when I think the waves are the most impressive.
Sometimes it spirals around itself, especially in a high ponytail, and it's so cute!

lapushka
December 6th, 2019, 06:32 AM

I tried going sulfate-free or sulfate-mild (Urtekram brand) a long long time ago, but my scalp protested, so keep a good look out for any flakes or dandruff-type signs. For a lot of people kicking out the sulfates is a worthwile thing to do. My scalp was difficult and would have none of it. LOL!

Try "shifting" your routine one change at a time, so you still have an overview and know what works and what doesn't!

MusicalSpoons gave some good recs! :D :o At least some of it works very well for me (my routine is in my signature + links, should you be interested).

giraff
December 6th, 2019, 07:41 AM
I tried going sulfate-free or sulfate-mild (Urtekram brand) a long long time ago, but my scalp protested, so keep a good look out for any flakes or dandruff-type signs. For a lot of people kicking out the sulfates is a worthwile thing to do. My scalp was difficult and would have none of it. LOL!

Try "shifting" your routine one change at a time, so you still have an overview and know what works and what doesn't!

MusicalSpoons gave some good recs! :D :o At least some of it works very well for me (my routine is in my signature + links, should you be interested).

I've read several posts on here about people not liking the Urtekram-products.. Do you know of any other brands?

MusicalSpoons
December 6th, 2019, 08:06 AM
I've read several posts on here about people not liking the Urtekram-products.. Do you know of any other brands?

Sulphate-mild or sulphate-free? Also, it would help to know where you are in the world because the markets are quite different in different continents :)

giraff
December 6th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Sulphate-mild or sulphate-free? Also, it would help to know where you are in the world because the markets are quite different in different continents :)

Both! Scandinavia :)

lapushka
December 6th, 2019, 08:29 AM

Where in the world are you, exactly?

If you are in the US, it is so easy to find sulfate-mild and sulfate-free products in the drugstore. L'Oréal Eversleek, HASK, Maui Moisture, Shea Moisture, Raw Sugar, Not your mother's to name some of them. I'm sure there's more.

Urtekram is a more EU, European thing.

giraff
December 6th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Where in the world are you, exactly?

If you are in the US, it is so easy to find sulfate-mild and sulfate-free products in the drugstore. L'Oréal Eversleek, HASK, Maui Moisture, Shea Moisture, Raw Sugar, Not your mother's to name some of them. I'm sure there's more.

Urtekram is a more EU, European thing.

I'm in Norway :) I've seen Maui Moisture around here, but none of the others.

Ylva
December 6th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Well, I personally love Urtekram shampoos! So not everyone has had negative experiences with them. :)

MusicalSpoons
December 6th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Well, I personally love Urtekram shampoos! So not everyone has had negative experiences with them. :)

They use coco-sulphate as well, like your Natura Siberica shampoo IIRC? [Purely an observation.]

I actually can't think of any other than Natura Siberica - some are sulphate-mild, some are sulphate-free. Dr Organic, maybe? I don't know if it's available Europe-wide. Hmm. The Scandinavian hair-care thread might have some brands mentioned :)

Ylva
December 6th, 2019, 10:01 AM
They use coco-sulphate as well, like your Natura Siberica shampoo IIRC? [Purely an observation.]

I actually can't think of any other than Natura Siberica - some are sulphate-mild, some are sulphate-free. Dr Organic, maybe? I don't know if it's available Europe-wide. Hmm. The Scandinavian hair-care thread might have some brands mentioned :)

Indeed they do!

Another great, sulfate-mild shampoo that uses SCS is the Frantsila Birch & Peat Shampoo (https://frantsilankehakukka.fi/product/38512/frantsila-koivu-turve-shampoo-200-ml). It is one of my absolute favourites but quite expensive at €9.99 per 200 ml (11.95 on their website), and likely available in Finland only.

Ammonium lauryl sulfate is another harsh cleanser my scalp really likes.

giraff
December 6th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Natura Siberica was sold in many stores in Denmark, but I haven't seen it in Norway. I've found a site I can order it from, though. Dr Organic is actually in some health shops here. But they are easily three times the price I pay now.

MusicalSpoons
December 6th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Natura Siberica was sold in many stores in Denmark, but I haven't seen it in Norway. I've found a site I can order it from, though. Dr Organic is actually in some health shops here. But they are easily three times the price I pay now.

Hmm, it might be worth seeing about buying internationally, just to see if even with postage it might be cheaper. I don't know, I seem to recall reading Norway was expensive for buying online but it's still worth finding out for sure.

Dr Organic is the only thing my scalp *likes* (sigh) but I still only buy it when it's on offer. I would hope you can find something cheaper to start your experimenting!

The Scandinavian thread is probably your best bet for recommendations :)