PDA

View Full Version : How do you hold scissors for S&D?

Elodea
December 4th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Recently I figured out an efficient way of holding the hair scissors while doing S&D, but I'm curious about what other people's techniques involve. Not so much when/where you do it (like in front of the computer, or while watching tv, or outside on the porch in sunlight, etc), but how you hold the scissors.

From this other thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17958&p=3737054&viewfull=1#post3737054), here's my description of my method of holding the scissors:

I think I just figured out a decent method of holding everything while not having to pick up and put down either the chunk of hair or the scissors each time you find a split end. Let's see if I can describe it in words in a way that makes sense.

While looking through a chunk of hair and holding that in my left hand, I hold the scissors with the middle finger of my right hand through one of the holes. The scissors rest parallel to the back of my hand and the blades are pointing to the side over my ring and little finger. This leaves the thumb and index finger of my right hand free to help go through the chunk of hair and pick out individual splits to trim.

Once I find a split end, I pick it out and hold it with my left hand (while still holding the rest of the chunk of hair as well). Then I swing the scissors into position to cut (putting my thumb through the second hole), trim the split, then swing the scissors back into the resting position where they're just held by my middle finger.

The motion to swing the scissors in or out of position to cut is a bit more efficient than having to pick up and put down either the scissors or the chunk of hair each time. I hope that description of my method made sense!

I actually don't know how you're "supposed" to hold hair scissors; everything I looked up online showed ways that didn't feel natural/comfortable for doing S&D. But I guess those hand positions are supposed to be more suited for people doing conventional trims or cuts on someone else in a hair salon.

So, how do you hold your scissors while S&D-ing split ends?

Zesty
December 4th, 2019, 11:33 AM
I think I just use thumb and index finger, nothing special. I'd be interested to see a picture (or video), I think I get the idea but I'm more of a visual person.

Elodea
December 4th, 2019, 11:41 AM
I think I just use thumb and index finger, nothing special. I'd be interested to see a picture (or video), I think I get the idea but I'm more of a visual person.

Do you have to put down either scissors or the chunk of hair you're examining for split ends each time you find one? For me, I found it takes two hands to be able to pick out split ends -- one to hold the chunk of hair I'm going through and the other to grab the individual split end.

ETA: photo of how I hold the scissors (before they're swung into cutting position).
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39290&d=1575485277

Zesty
December 4th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Do you have to put down either scissors or the chunk of hair you're examining for split ends each time you find one? For me, I found it takes two hands to be able to pick out split ends -- one to hold the chunk of hair I'm going through and the other to grab the individual split end.

Not usually. Also I have filmed myself during S&D because I'm a weirdo and it appears that I hold the scissors with my thumb and *middle* finger, so I can then use my thumb and index finger to pick out a split if I need to.

This is the video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpfCS2qFFDV/?igshid=bxwliv6xzpk3

... Don't judge me. :p

Zesty
December 4th, 2019, 11:59 AM
ETA: photo of how I hold the scissors (before they're swung into cutting position).
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39290&d=1575485277

You S&D like a ninja. :p

Elodea
December 4th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Not usually. Also I have filmed myself during S&D because I'm a weirdo and it appears that I hold the scissors with my thumb and *middle* finger, so I can then use my thumb and index finger to pick out a split if I need to.

This is the video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpfCS2qFFDV/?igshid=bxwliv6xzpk3

... Don't judge me. :p

Haha interesting! (I bet that belongs in the "You know you are a long hair when..." thread.) And shiny scissors. I also hold the scissors (while cutting) with my thumb and middle finger. I tried to hold my scissors the way you did in the video, and I think that way, it's more of a twisting the wrist motion to transition between picking out a split and then cutting it.

But with my way, it's swinging the scissors between two positions (the hand stays. I personally found my way more comfortable, perhaps because I have small hands combined with the shape of the scissor grip, it's more comfortable to have them out of the way when trying to pick out a split.

trolleypup
December 4th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Thumb and forefinger. Small scissors, pointy tips, so I splay out the hair with my left hand, and then cut splits as I see them. Also, I wear reading glasses instead of my normal glasses (nearsighted) so I can actually see the splits.

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Thumb and middle finger for me, no putting down unless it's to separate an entirely new chunk from somewhere completely different (I don't do methodical because I only do very short S&D sessions). My scissors are quite slender so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Panthera
December 5th, 2019, 10:43 AM
I hold the scissors with my thumb and ring finger, when I see a split, I point the scissors up and pick the hair with my thumb and middle finger and move my wrist to cut it. No need to put the scissors down.

eadwine
December 5th, 2019, 01:06 PM
With my toes.... ;)

Arciela
December 5th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Thumb and middle finger :) Nothing fancy!

lapushka
December 5th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure there are so many ways to hold scissors. :)

Unless you want the "resting position" as is shown on the image. But, if you're not a pro at handling scissors, I would not recommend unless you want to cut yourself, and hair shears are *sharp*, mine are razorsharp, I nicked myself once. Oh boy!

FrayedFire
December 9th, 2019, 02:09 PM

I just bought those same scissors, used them for S&D twice, and then my brother "borrowed" them to cut wrapping paper!

lapushka
December 9th, 2019, 02:19 PM
I just bought those same scissors, used them for S&D twice, and then my brother "borrowed" them to cut wrapping paper!

Once is not going to kill them! Don't believe that. It is constant "other" use. Just get them away from him and hide them.