PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to cut... I need help!

krt1013
November 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I was at Great Clips the other day with my bf to moderate (I didn't want my boy coming home with a buzz cut!) and was just sitting in the chair next to him minding my own business when the stylist looked at me and said:

"I'd really like to add some layers into your hair; shorten it up a bit and give you some bangs. People won't take you seriously with hair like that..."

Funny thing is, my hair had (finally!) reached a length where I could chop off the rest of my layers last week. I cut off about an inch and was very satisfied with the thick, blunt ends that I gained at the expense of having bsl-length hair. So, I'm now just shy of bsl, but I still was very saddened by the stylist.

My hair can't look that bad, can it??? I've been trying to grow out these dang layers for over a year now, and as soon as they are gone I can't be taken seriously? He later added that blunt cuts make people look like they have a lot of split ends... but I really don't think I have a whole lot of them in comparison to most non-LHC-ers!

Help.

spidermom
November 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM
He was trying out his salesmanship skills on you. They failed. Don't give it another thought.

Copasetic
November 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
i would just ignore him. the idea that people will not take you seriously if you have long hair is silly, not to mention it is kind of an inappropriate way to get someone to cut their hair.

cosmicboogie
November 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Bah...don't let some pushy hair mangler bring you down. If you want to put layers in your hair of your own prerogative, go for it. Personally, I've had nothing but bad experiences with my local Great Clips staffers, so that makes me biased against all of them.

As for 'nobody taking you seriously', that's his snap judgment and it's probably wrong.:p

krt1013
November 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks, spidermom! I've always admired your calm, soothing presence here on LHC. Now, if only I could get my hair as long as yours!

mommy101405
November 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
First of all your hair looks great in your pic. Second its his job to cut hair. And third he works at Great Clips. Its not like the cream of the crop here. Fourth, the only person that needs to be happy with your hair is you. And of course brownie points is bf digs it too :p

I say no cut. Wait it out for a while and see how you like it without the layers.

noelgirl
November 8th, 2008, 08:26 PM
If your hair is anything like it is in your av, it looks great! What he said about blunt cuts making it look like you have split ends is total bull. The fewer layers you have, the more of a reflective surface your hair will have and the shinier and healthier it will look. As for the "people won't take you seriously" comment - he was trying to shake your confidence and convince you that you need his services. Total trick of the trade to make a sale. Don't let it get to you.

krt1013
November 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Bah...don't let some pushy hair mangler bring you down. If you want to put layers in your hair of your own prerogative, go for it. Personally, I've had nothing but bad experiences with my local Great Clips staffers, so that makes me biased against all of them.

As for 'nobody taking you seriously', that's his snap judgment and it's probably wrong.:p

Sigh. Every time I got layers, I ended up with mangled hair that was chin length on top and APL on the bottom... They say that this looks good? It really makes me look ragged and destroys my shine.

Isblå
November 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
What a rude man...

krt1013
November 8th, 2008, 08:33 PM
First of all your hair looks great in your pic. Second its his job to cut hair. And third he works at Great Clips. Its not like the cream of the crop here. Fourth, the only person that needs to be happy with your hair is you. And of course brownie points is bf digs it too :p

I say no cut. Wait it out for a while and see how you like it without the layers.

Sad thing about that is my bf kinda agreed. He said he thinks that short hair is "easier and more professional" now that we're getting closer to the end of our undergraduate days. I think short hair makes my face look chubby, lol.

Nevermore
November 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm with everyone else, not only was he rude, the only person who needs to like your hair is you. It looks fantastic in your picture.

purplebubba
November 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Why do they have to include an insult to get their point across?

Offering to give you a new style was one thing but having to finish it with the insult was another.

If it were me and someone used that tactic and I was in the mood for a change I'd say "Hey that's a good idea" and then ask another of the stylists there to do it to or go somewhere else and come back later to show it off. Or anything but letting that stylist touch me. Or somehow make the point to him that they may have had me as a customer but they blew it with the insult.

purplebubba
November 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Just think if other places used these sales tactics.

Giving out samples at the grocery store of a Light or Diet food: "Would you like to try some of our ______? You could stand to lose a few pounds"

Car sales: "This new car would suit you well. Better than that piece of junk you came in with."

spidermom
November 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks, spidermom! I've always admired your calm, soothing presence here on LHC. Now, if only I could get my hair as long as yours!

It will. Just stay away from scissor-happy, rude stylists.

MandaMom2Three
November 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
That makes me very angry. Very angry indeed. I shall blast him with my death ray! (does my best Marvin the Martian impersonation)

Tressie
November 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm with the rest of gang! Noelgirl hit it on the head when she said he was trying to shake your confidence.

If everyone did their own trimming and conditioning and had as much style input & support as we give each other here on LHC, the salons would pretty much have to close up shop!

Let's face it we are a threat! Read my lips rude stylist...:bigtongue:

30isthenewblack
November 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Are you kidding me? Your hair looks great in your avatar. Just ignore the hairdresser - he's just trying to drum up more business at your expense.

GlassEyes
November 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I think of spidermom's words as more blunt and refreshing rather than calm, but meh.

I agree with her. I probably would've told him that no one would take male hair stylist seriously as revenge. D< *stabby rip stab stab*

BlackfootHair
November 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
... minding my own business when the stylist looked at me and said:

"I'd really like to add some layers into your hair; shorten it up a bit and give you some bangs. People won't take you seriously with hair like that..."
Help.

What a jerk!! No business whatsoever telling someone their hair style will not have people taking them seriously! Whatever. I would just ignore it. I'm sure there are people who fancy a buzzed cut on everybody who would prefer everyone shave their head. I wouldn't value this hairdresser's opinion. :)

ole gray mare
November 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM
How messed up is that?

Here let me insult you.
You in turn reward me with your business and money.

Always feel free to retreat to the safe arms of LHC!!

Arielle8960
November 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Sad thing about that is my bf kinda agreed. He said he thinks that short hair is "easier and more professional" now that we're getting closer to the end of our undergraduate days. I think short hair makes my face look chubby, lol.

I don't understand why this idea is so pervasive! I am in college and already I'm getting pressured to cut my hair. I've also had several friends who cut their hair shorter upon graduation and really regretted it (and on several occasions their "more professional" hairstyles were disasters!). Most employers probably care more about your hairstyle being clean and neat, and yours most certainly is, and it is very pretty as well. If you're happy with it, don't change it, especially not because of a mean comment from a rude stylist. Best of luck to you!

Melisande
November 8th, 2008, 10:37 PM
To be taken seriously - what is better? Be intimidated into submission by a scissor-crazy stylist or flaunt your own style? :)

I'm amazed at the impertinence of people. Don't let it nibble at your self confidence. Your hair looks beautiful.

Lisa-Maria
November 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Of course hair stylists don't like blunt cuts as it's a stlye people can maintain themselves without much hassle :)

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Hey take no notice he just wants to justify why he went to hairdressing college, your hair is lovely take it with a pinch of salt!

mew
November 9th, 2008, 08:12 AM
oh you poor thing, i hope you won't take this too hard. "Professional" to me means skills and attitude, not hairstyles. This world is a strange place sometimes.

Carolyn
November 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I find it beyond rude that the stylist would have even spoken to you not knowing if you were to be a client or not :shocked: All he wanted to do was get you as a client and change your hair to a style that meant lots of return visits from you for upkeep. He didn't really give a rat's ass if you were taken seriously or not. It was all about him gaining a new client who would be coming in for lots of maintenance. Of course your hair didn't look bad. It looked like you were a person who didn't have to go to a salon very often. Forget what that moron said. He was only after a new client.

Arctic
November 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I agree with posters above, he was try to get you in his chair and take your money.
He also was very rude and his aesthetical views differens from yours, which is reason enough to choose different stylist incase you want to trim/cut. Also I feel it is part of stylists job to make the (possible) client feel good about themselves, not like crap.

purplebubba
November 9th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I'd rather not be taken seriously for my long hair than to be not taken seriously for saying stupid and rude things to my potential customers.

DaveDecker
November 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I don't understand why this idea is so pervasive!

Because some of your peers haven't had the courage to resist the pitch. Then, add a dose of "misery loves company" (they are now vainly seeking validation of their choice by getting other people to make the same mistake choice).

purplebubba
November 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM
As for the temptation to cut ask yourself if you were even thinking about a change before this stylist said something?

There are a lot more options than just what he suggested if you were wanting a change.

frizzinator
November 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM
You already knew what you wanted, so don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. I don't understand why your bf would think an insult was good advice.

An updo is probably more professional looking than layered hair. As you know, it is frustrating to grow-out layered hair, but when it is long it is nearly maintenance free and it's so easy to wear it up.

When most folks see an updo, they never think about it being long hair. When people always see you wearing an updo, it completely shocks them when they see it down! Nothing is more entertaining than to see them drop their jaws!

You will never regret growing-out your gorgeous hair.

misstwist
November 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have three standard answers for unsolicited advice, depending on how obnoxious the advice was and how important it is to not be rude.

1. "That's an interesting thought."

2. "I don't recall asking your opinion."

3. "Bite me."

A stylist I didn't know trying to sell me on his services by insulting me would rate "Bite me."

ChloeDharma
November 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I've not read through all the replies, so at the risk of repeating points already made....

Completely ignore him! Your hair is absolutely stunning....like....a sheet of satin it's so smooth and shiney! I can honestly say that so-called "stylist" really needs to shut his mouth up chatting BS like that!
As for your B/F, it sounds like he might be saying that just because he's heard that kind of comment before and doesn't know any better, have you asked him what he thinks of your hair disregarding any consideration of what he thinks other people will consider professional? I hope for your sake he likes it long, if not then i guess you need to have a conversation.
But if a hairdresser comes out with that kind of thing again tell them to get stuffed.

frizzinator
November 9th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Misstwist, I like your standard answers, but I've always been too timid to say "bite me", because I'm afraid they will!

misstwist
November 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
When most folks see an updo, they never think about it being long hair.

This is funny, I see women with short hair wearing an updo and I think they are trying to pretend they have long hair.

Guess it depends on your perspective. :D

DarkChocolate
November 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Ignore him:)
I think your hair looks great the way it is:)
Long hair makes you unique:)

Tangles
November 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Ick, how tacky! If being professional means having short hair, well, I don't want to be professional.

Lara1
November 9th, 2008, 09:49 PM
He was rude. He just tried his sales pitch on you and I hope it didn't work.
You have a very nice hair on your avatar and it is not true that you will not look professional with long hair. He is just trying to make some money on you. Don't cut it off. You should cut it only if YOU want to cut and not because someone said to do so.

sneakybea
November 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I think he was just trying to talk you into a higher maintenance cut. Your hair looks very pretty!
As far as looking professional, a lot of students do get haircuts for that reason when they graduate, but I think that it any length can look professional if it is tidy and well cared for.

Sammybunny711
November 10th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Trust me, if your goal is long hair (a deep dream of yours) DON'T CUT IT! That is what I did in September and I honestly regret it EVERY day but I know that I will get that length back in a few months...(HOPEFULLY!)

joyfulmom4
November 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Just think if other places used these sales tactics.

Giving out samples at the grocery store of a Light or Diet food: "Would you like to try some of our ______? You could stand to lose a few pounds"

Car sales: "This new car would suit you well. Better than that piece of junk you came in with."

LOL! This is so funny. Some people have a lot of nerve. Years ago when my brother was waiting tables in a fancy restaurant, he served a customer who was a plastic surgeon. The surgeon had the gall to suggest to my db that he could "make him look much better" by "taking off a bit of his chin" and "lifting his eyelids a bit". Geesh! What kind of obnoxious, self-centered person thinks the world needs his opinions and has skill to fix others up to their standards. Argh!

krt1013, please don't let this stylists comments get to you. He was out of line. He never should have said that to you. His opinion was not requested and therefore he should have kept it to himself.

Remember, we all have different ideas of what is beautiful and professional and attractive. We don't all dress in the same styles and we don't all prefer the same hairstyles. That was his opinion. You are entitled to your own. And as far as professionalism is concerned, long hair can be styled in beautifully professional ways. Or you can buck convention and wear it down, as I do. And I am a professional. It hasn't seemed to hurt my career any.

lora410
November 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Wow, that is some nerve. He was just trying to cut yet another lovelies hair. I would have told him to goto h&#37;ll. Who does he think he is to say that about you. What a jerk!

missbexy
November 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM
That is so stupid. You're hair looks beautiful. I know how you feel though, I spent about two years trying to grow out layers between I was 14-16, somehow managed to end up with them back. Spent the last two years growing them out again (almost gone) and people always tell me i'd look better with layers, no-one really has one length hair (much less frequently said since Avril Lavigne suddenly had long, one-length blond hair)
Just ignore people who mistakenly judge you and tell you your best look. The best look on anyone is the one they want.

burns_erin
November 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Man not only was it rude an uncalled for and wrong but that has got to be an idiotic stylist. No rational human being should let somone who treats them like that work on their hair. I have only let one hairdresser cut my hair after a comment. What she said was, you have great hair, it looks so thick and healthy, if you are looking for a change we could ........to get rid of some of the weight and add some movement. I was ready for a change and I let her, and she was right. But she was very nice and respectful and had a sound reason for making her suggestions with no insults and she asked instead of told, and as you can see, I DO have alot of hair.

Your hair on the other hand looks like it has plenty of life to it already, it is lovely and shiny. So I say don't cut.

*BelievingAgain
November 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Oh, please please please ignore him. He doesn't know you, of course people will 'take you seriously' with your hair however it is, when YOU are happy with how your hair looks, then that confidence will shine through, and THAT'S what people will notice first of all. And as you say, the difference between a blunt-cut on a non-LHC can be completely different to the same cut on someone who really knows how to care for their hair. You keep your beautiful hair just the way it is :flower:

MsBubbles
November 11th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Wow how incredibly rude and unprofessional. When I take my son to Great Clips I don't give anybody there the opportunity to even consider saying anything to me about them cutting my hair any more (they used to do it all the time, just trying to make more money or rope another victim in). I go in there with my hair up, and a steely glare, and announce that I need ONE haircut today for my son, thank you (and point to my son).

And regarding life changes and haircuts: Graduating college is just that, not a mandate to chop off your beautiful shiny hair! Funny how people associate various important milestones by cutting off all their hair...

I got married...better cut off all my hair now

I had a baby...better cut off all my hair now (ok I did that one!)

I changed jobs/boyfriends/countries...better cut...etc etc...ad nauseam

purplebubba
November 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Just think if this forum had trims with every milestone hit. People would be rebelling against those.

Kiraela
November 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
You know, it's just my opinion of course, but layers seem to take away a lot of shine, and give me the impression of splits and breakage - why would that make you be taken more seriously than healthy, gorgeous, blindingly shiny hair? This guy's an idiot - that's all I can figure.

Euphony
November 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah I kinda like "Bite me" personally :D

The other night I was running into the store after work, I'd washed my hair that morning, combed it in the shower, plopped it while putting on make-up and didn't comb it again that day. I'd been busy, wasn't terribly concerned with my appearance, it was hubby's birthday and I was trying to get some last minute things done.

In getting to the sidewalk of the store this woman was getting a cart, she yelled "you have absolutely amazing hair". I thought that was so sweet, caught me off guard since I'd even forgotten my hair was down. I thanked her.

I thought about it later, I'm a very round woman (100 pounds overweight), I'm sure my distinguishing feature used to be my weight - you know "the heavy woman over there" now I'm thinking my most distinguishing feature is no longer my weight, I'm likely "the woman with the long hair over there".

This is the same hair I had cut into a longish pixie type cut, it's the same very wavy, very thick hair though I didn't used to henna. Now my hair is a couple of feet longer, still very wavy, still very thick - but now it's "absolutely amazing", while before it was invisible.

If "professional" requires invisible hair, pop it in a bun adorn it with a toy or not and you've got invisible allbeit pretty - to the unknowing eye it could be invisible.

wizzel
November 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Do what you want with your hair if you want layers then great if on the other hand you don't please please don't cut it. It sounds like you have spent a great deal of time growing out your hair take some time tothink about it before you do anything I can tell you from experionce that a mistake like that takes a while to fix.