PDA

View Full Version : Slow winter growth?

jane_marie
November 30th, 2019, 09:53 AM
I'm curious if anyone has noticed that their hair grows slower in the winter than the summer.

Between August and September My hair grew 3.5" but since the weather cooled off this month it's only grown around .5". Mostly, I've been eating the same...

Is slower growth in colder months "a thing"?

Thanks

AmaryllisRed
November 30th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Seasonal variation is definitely a thing. Search "seasonal growth" and you'll get some hits. :)

jane_marie
November 30th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Seasonal variation is definitely a thing. Search "seasonal growth" and you'll get some hits. :)

Good to know it's a thing. I search using your suggested term but didn't see anything that fit... maybe I just needed to go back a few more pages? :shrug:

Anyway, I'll trust you on it.

Edit - "seasonal growth rate" seems to be pulling some results. The LHC search engine is always so temperamental with me. :)

Zesty
November 30th, 2019, 11:16 AM
It is a "thing," so it may very well be happening to you. My own hair doesn't have any seasonal variation that I've noticed (though I don't measure at regular intervals). Of course, variation can also happen at random, it may or may not be because of weather. You'd probably have to observe over a few years to say for sure.

AmaryllisRed
November 30th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Here's one:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=142324

And another:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70272

And another:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61808

I use the white search box on the top right of the desktop version of the site. It takes me to a custom Google search which seems to work much better than whatever way I was searching before.

jane_marie
November 30th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Here's one:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=142324

And another:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70272

And another:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61808

I use the white search box on the top right of the desktop version of the site. It takes me to a custom Google search which seems to work much better than whatever way I was searching before.

Okay. Thanks. Sorry. I used the advanced search and it didn't work well but when I just typed "seasonal growth rate" into the box without the advanced search it went much better.

I swear that search box has an issue with me. Sorry to be a bother.

shelomit
November 30th, 2019, 12:07 PM
When I put in henna in the spring my roots are usually only half as long, or even less, as when I do it in the fall. For me the difference is really dramatic!

Laurab
November 30th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Huh, how odd.
Is this weather related entirely?
I haven't ever paid attention to this.
But I live in Florida, so it's always warm. I don't know if I would see any difference.

Sparkles122
November 30th, 2019, 12:52 PM
I feel like mine is opposite. Way slower in the spring/summer months and way faster in the fall/winter

AmaryllisRed
November 30th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Okay. Thanks. Sorry. I used the advanced search and it didn't work well but when I just typed "seasonal growth rate" into the box without the advanced search it went much better.

I swear that search box has an issue with me. Sorry to be a bother.

No need to apologize! I just wanted to add the links because the search *is* notoriously tricky. :)

lapushka
November 30th, 2019, 02:21 PM
I think for some it's faster in winter than in summer, it varies person to person, can even vary season to season, or year to year. It depends on so many factors you can't control, environment, diet, stress factors, etc.

I mean at the last of summer I grew like an inch a month for a couple months and that has *never* happened to me since I started keeping track (sort of). I notice when I need to trim. I had to trim a lot, because I was maintaining, by God I had no idea where the hair was coming from all of a sudden.

It's slowed down now, quite a bit! Thank God! :)

0xalis
December 1st, 2019, 02:14 PM
Mine seems to just be completely random! What's up with that?

Arciela
December 4th, 2019, 12:02 AM
Mine seems to grow super fast in the summer..and slow in the winter although now it seemed to have changed. It is growing decently year round this time. It is definitely a thing though!

spidermom
December 4th, 2019, 06:12 AM
When I kept records, I noted that my hair grew 2/3 of an inch per month in summer and fall, 1/4 inch a month during the winter, and about 1/2 inch per month in the spring.

I believe that it has something to do with the increased hours of daylight in the summer but I don't know. I'm not a scientist.

M-I
December 4th, 2019, 07:18 AM
I think I read somewhere that it has to do with increased circulation, that blood flow to the scalp is more efficient when it's warm outside since the body doesn't have to work as hard to keep the body warm. Don't know if that's correct or even make sense though :shrug:

TreesOfEternity
December 4th, 2019, 10:42 AM
My growth decreases in winter indeed, but it's also the most stressing time of the year for me so maybe that contributes to the growth (or lack of) as well...

Longlegs
December 4th, 2019, 07:00 PM
I think I read somewhere that it has to do with increased circulation, that blood flow to the scalp is more efficient when it's warm outside since the body doesn't have to work as hard to keep the body warm. Don't know if that's correct or even make sense though :shrug:

I agree. I exercise more in the summer, but I'm more sluggish and cold in the winter. I don't work up a sweat and just go for a walk with my husband once a day. But in summer it's hot and light very early in the morning here and I often go for a quick walk in the morning by myself.

Stray_mind
December 5th, 2019, 03:56 AM
For me it's the opposite. My hair tends to grow like a weed in winter and slows down in summer.

LittleHealthy
December 6th, 2019, 04:29 AM
Mine definitely slowed down a lot this winter, I'm thankful it's summer here now and I can get a little more blood flowing to the scalp without actually having to do something laborious like the Inversion Method haha!