PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of "Long hair don't care"?

Kalamazoo
November 30th, 2019, 02:10 AM
What does "Long hair don't care" mean?

OK, maybe I'm trying too hard to figure it out. I mean, I was the kind of child who used to love reading the dictionary.

But still, Don't care about what? I mean, I know my hair's not long by LHC standards, but maybe that's how come I still care about a lot of things?

Or is it just a piece of nonsense rhymery on the order of "Jabberwocky"?

lapushka
November 30th, 2019, 02:16 AM
About all the nasty comments probably. LOL!

0xalis
November 30th, 2019, 02:32 AM
I think for some people, it's just "ooo it rhymes!"
But I agree with lapushka, for some people it's about the nasty comments.
Believe it or not, there are seriously people out there who are vehemently against long hair! Even on women! They think anything past shoulder is "dirty" or "matronly" or whatever.
And then there's all those people who think you NEED to donate your hair to Locks of Love...

lapushka
November 30th, 2019, 03:21 AM
Yes, especially "dirty" or unkempt or something like that.

So... we don't care! There.

Kalamazoo
November 30th, 2019, 08:31 AM
Thank you!

I guess it could mean whatever you want it to. Maybe, "I've got my long hair that I've always dreamed of, so all is well in my own little world, despite whatever else isn't going right."

But it's good to see written out, what other folks think of when they see that. Thank you

Sarahlabyrinth
November 30th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Long hair, don't care (what anybody else thinks about it). That's the way I see it.

*Wednesday*
November 30th, 2019, 08:43 AM
I may be wrong, but I thought it was relating to growing or keeping hair long. I've heard someone use it with regard to growing hair. Her hair was chin length an she grew it to shoulder. She cut it back to chin again and she said, "long hair don't care." Unless this phrase is used interchangeably?

jane_marie
November 30th, 2019, 09:12 AM
I've only ever heard men with longer hair use this. I always assumed the "don't care" part was about society's expectations about male hair length. :shrug:

AmaryllisRed
November 30th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Yeah I've always wondered too. I really think people just say it because it rhymes without thinking too hard about what they mean by it.
I've also seen "long hair DO care" meaning they have long hair and they take good care of it.
And there's "messy hair don't care," which my daughter had on a PJ shirt and was very appropriate for her. ;)
I've posted pics on IG with the tag "messy hair DO care" because I don't like when my hair style turns out messy and I was going to fix it right after I posted the picture.

Kat
November 30th, 2019, 09:44 AM
I never considered it to be just something used in the longhair community, so I always assumed it meant a carefree type of person-- you know, like a free and breezy hippie or something.

littlestarface
November 30th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Its just something that rhymes, trust me. Iv'e seen it used with short hair,colored hair,grey hair, its just cuz hair rhymes and they put whatever before it. I think its so cringe.

lapis_lazuli
November 30th, 2019, 10:51 AM
I never considered it to be just something used in the longhair community, so I always assumed it meant a carefree type of person-- you know, like a free and breezy hippie or something.

Yes this is how I've seen it used. Long hair meaning a type of upbeat, carefree person who doesn't take people's opinions in general (not really about long hair).

Zesty
November 30th, 2019, 11:08 AM
I take it to mean that you don't care about other people's opinions.

Robot Ninja
November 30th, 2019, 11:20 AM
I take it to mean that you don't care about other people's opinions.

I think this is what people who use the phrase want you to think. Although, it seems to be mostly used by people who very clearly DO care about other people's opinions but are pretending not to, because caring is uncool and you can't have people thinking you're uncool.

Zesty
November 30th, 2019, 11:24 AM
I think this is what people who use the phrase want you to think. Although, it seems to be mostly used by people who very clearly DO care about other people's opinions but are pretending not to, because caring is uncool and you can't have people thinking you're uncool.

Well whether or not it actually fits a particular situation, I cannot say. :p I occasionally use long hair *do* care as a hashtag on Instagram, but the saying isn't really my "thing."

Arciela
November 30th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Long hair, don't care (what anybody else thinks about it). That's the way I see it.

I agree with this :flower: I think this is what it is meant to be said :D

Kalamazoo
November 30th, 2019, 10:53 PM
I think for some people, it's just "ooo it rhymes!"
But I agree with lapushka, for some people it's about the nasty comments.
Believe it or not, there are seriously people out there who are vehemently against long hair! Even on women! They think anything past shoulder is "dirty" or "matronly" or whatever.
And then there's all those people who think you NEED to donate your hair to Locks of Love...

I think the neatest thing about LHC is how everybody encourages everyone to listen to one's own voice, to heed one's own wisdom, which results in an ability to stand up to the onslaught of the world's opinions.

Kalamazoo
November 30th, 2019, 10:56 PM
I may be wrong, but I thought it was relating to growing or keeping hair long. I've heard someone use it with regard to growing hair. Her hair was chin length an she grew it to shoulder. She cut it back to chin again and she said, "long hair don't care." Unless this phrase is used interchangeably?

Meaning, she didn't care to keep it long? She didn't care for long hair (at least on her own head)?

Kalamazoo
November 30th, 2019, 11:00 PM
I've only ever heard men with longer hair use this. I always assumed the "don't care" part was about society's expectations about male hair length. :shrug:

Actually, I've never heard anybody say it IRL. I've only seen the couplet online. It makes sense as an attitude for a long-haired man, but the first place I ran into it, it was attached to photos of women's hair.

So much variety! It seems to be an intentional nebulosity to keep everybody guessing ~ sort of like wearing your hair down & hiding behind it. Sometimes words conceal more than they reveal...

lithostoic
November 30th, 2019, 11:13 PM
Phrase comes from the U.S. where complete strangers will approach you and say "you need a hair cut". Long hair, don't care about your opinion.

Kalamazoo
November 30th, 2019, 11:41 PM
Phrase comes from the U.S. where complete strangers will approach you and say "you need a hair cut". Long hair, don't care about your opinion.

The art of self-defense...

spidermom
December 1st, 2019, 11:34 AM
The first time I ever saw a phrase like this was when long, straight hair parted down the middle was in style. Then there was an actress who had short hair, and the phrase was "short hair, don't care," which to me meant that she didn't care what was in style. I feel the same about the phrase "long hair, don't care." I don't care what's in style; I'm wearing it long.

Stray_mind
December 1st, 2019, 01:15 PM
Okay, after a bit off good ol' google searching i found out that the phrase was widely used in the 60's and early 70's in support of the hippie movement.
It is a saying that goes against the widely spread opinion that long hair=unkempt life style.

Siv
December 1st, 2019, 01:58 PM
Oh that's so cool @Stray-mind! Great find! Personally I've been using that hashtag on instagram, and took it to mean that I've long hair and I don't care if someone else doesn't like that. Cool to hear about its origins though!!

leayellena
December 3rd, 2019, 09:24 AM
long hair don't care... about damage, because hehe long hair must definitelly be damaged. so anything beyond shoulder length is damaged (aka ripped off trough tangles, split ends and dry and bend because of braids and/or updos)

MusicalSpoons
December 3rd, 2019, 04:21 PM
Okay, after a bit off good ol' google searching i found out that the phrase was widely used in the 60's and early 70's in support of the hippie movement.
It is a saying that goes against the widely spread opinion that long hair=unkempt life style.

That's so interesting to know its origins! I've been baffled every time I've seen the hashtag, and this thread shows there's evidently no uniform meaning to it at the moment - though 'long hair don't care about other people's opinions' seems to be the majority. I guess that works with any other adjective in place of long, too - especially if it's growing out natural colour or texture, going against the industry saying hair has to be xyz perfectly styled

Stray_mind
December 5th, 2019, 04:08 AM
That's so interesting to know its origins! I've been baffled every time I've seen the hashtag, and this thread shows there's evidently no uniform meaning to it at the moment - though 'long hair don't care about other people's opinions' seems to be the majority. I guess that works with any other adjective in place of long, too - especially if it's growing out natural colour or texture, going against the industry saying hair has to be xyz perfectly styled

Yeah, well the meaning that one doesn't care about other people's opinions seems to be generally correct, since that's what the phrase is used to express.

Simpscone
December 5th, 2019, 05:13 AM
This is so interesting! I've used this phrase myself, but not the long hair version. I remember saying things like "blue hair don't care" when I would change my hair to blue and post a picture. I didn't think into it at the time, but I think my past-self was also alluding to the "not caring what society thinks" or how it was "different" or "weird" to have neon blue hair :lol:

hannabiss
December 5th, 2019, 06:42 AM
I always took it as meaning you dont care what trendy styles are in you're wearing it long. A lot of people think shorter hair is more professional... But I never really used it myself. I thinknits up for personal interpretation at this point.