PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends

longhairdreamee
November 27th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Went on an S&D mission today, since it was wash day yesterday, and I allow my hair down a little bit once a month after wash to cut the splits. I noticed I have them further up the hair shaft... and some multiple splits.. Is it time for a hair cut or is this pretty normal?

Zesty
November 27th, 2019, 11:57 AM
To some extent it's normal. Not many people are blessed with hair that doesn't split at all at longer lengths.

I would just S&D. If it's further up the shaft then what good will cutting the ends do, you know? If it's really awful and your hair is wrecked that's a different story, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. :flower:

shelomit
November 27th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Some people find a catnip rinse/dip works well to lessen splitting, but tbh what you're describing sounds pretty typical to see develop over a month. Trim if you want your hemline to be even, but otherwise, S&D should be sufficient.

TreesOfEternity
November 27th, 2019, 02:34 PM
Most of the splits I find are like that.

I have dye damage and my hair is very sensitive to mechanical damage, my theory is that most of those broken hairs are not splits that have traveled up but hairs that did break mid-shaft for some reason.

I can see a change in thickness along some hairs as if they were about to split at the middle, don’t know if that’s your case as well.

MusicalSpoons
November 27th, 2019, 06:32 PM
To some extent it's normal. Not many people are blessed with hair that doesn't split at all at longer lengths.

I would just S&D. If it's further up the shaft then what good will cutting the ends do, you know? If it's really awful and your hair is wrecked that's a different story, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. :flower:

Indeed, this sometimes can be really annoying. *If only* a trim would get rid of all of my splits!!

lapushka
November 28th, 2019, 07:54 AM
You would need a pretty hefty trim if it's that far up.

Maybe just S&D. :)

longhairdreamee
November 28th, 2019, 08:08 AM
When i got the implant birth control it wrecked havoc on my hair. My hair was suddenly breaking off, thinning, and just weak. Id assume this is left over bad hair from it. Ill just leave it be and one day the newer really healthy shiny growth will be my whole length. No big chops for me lol!

lapushka
November 28th, 2019, 08:30 AM
When i got the implant birth control it wrecked havoc on my hair. My hair was suddenly breaking off, thinning, and just weak. Id assume this is left over bad hair from it. Ill just leave it be and one day the newer really healthy shiny growth will be my whole length. No big chops for me lol!

Did you heat style in any way? Because it's often difficult to pinpoint what exactly did it. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
November 28th, 2019, 09:07 AM

Birth control is notorious for messing with hair, but usually in terms of shedding or growing in fragile/dry/etc. Other than shedding, it wouldn't affect the hair that was *already* on your head straight away because once it's grown, nothing internal can affect the structure of it (e.g. making it weak or strong, making it break, etc.). [It's the same with vitamins - people take them and think their hair is suddenly stronger and thicker, but it would take months for any real difference to show in new hair that's growing.]

lapushka
November 29th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Birth control is notorious for messing with hair, but usually in terms of shedding or growing in fragile/dry/etc. Other than shedding, it wouldn't affect the hair that was *already* on your head straight away because once it's grown, nothing internal can affect the structure of it (e.g. making it weak or strong, making it break, etc.). [It's the same with vitamins - people take them and think their hair is suddenly stronger and thicker, but it would take months for any real difference to show in new hair that's growing.]

Really? Is that a thing?

Because I am on oral BC pills and have never had any odd side-effects from it. But that's me. I realize other people can have different experiences, I just wasn't aware it was a "thing". :hmm:

MusicalSpoons
November 29th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Really? Is that a thing?

Because I am on oral BC pills and have never had any odd side-effects from it. But that's me. I realize other people can have different experiences, I just wasn't aware it was a "thing". :hmm:

Going by what I've read on here, yes. Of course different types and different people will have different exact reactions - it's also notorious for messing with skin and mood until people find the right one for them :shrug:

Ylva
November 29th, 2019, 09:27 AM
I think it's normal to experience a shed after coming off of estrogen-based birth control. It's been so long since I was on such that I don't remember if I had any hair-related symptoms upon stopping it, but my hair looks pretty thick in photos from the time when I was on it. :shrug: