PDA

View Full Version : Self Trim Tips?

Atrocia
November 23rd, 2019, 08:03 PM
I have stick straight, fine, but fairly thick hair that’s about BSL. I tried a self trim today. I thought I did okay, but when I checked from the back, I had one spot that looked about a half inch longer. I don’t know how to even it out, because when I pull it to the front it looks fine. Since my hair is so straight, it’s not very forgiving of minor imperfections. Any tips on how to do a better job?

I tried asking my boyfriend, “Can you cut a straight line?” He said, “Is this about your hair? It would be one thing if you didn’t care about your hair. But you really, really, really, really care about your hair. I’m not touching it.” LOL

shelomit
November 23rd, 2019, 09:05 PM
Your boyfriend sounds like a wise fellow ( ;

Did you use the method where you divide your hair into two sections (/ponytails/braids), pulling them up front, and trimming the ends? I've found with that method that there's often a "disconnect" between the length of the two halves, so that both of them will look even by themselves but one will be a bit longer at the inside edge, where it meets the other section when combed back. A good way to fix that is to divide your hair unevenly (e.g., 2/3 on one side, 1/3 on the other), pull the two sections up front again, and look for any uneven spots. Even up if needed, then divide it with the larger section on the other side and repeat the process. Hopefully that explanation makes sense?

With thicker hair you might also be having trouble getting it to lie evenly enough to give you a nice surface to trim. Trimming wet and combing very thoroughly has helped me with that, though I know some people's hair won't be resilient enough to do that.

enting
November 24th, 2019, 04:17 AM
It's going to be harder with stick straight hair. I've never used the creaclip method, but I wonder if that would make it easier to get everything straight across?

SleepyTangles
November 24th, 2019, 04:41 AM
Are you going for a V or a U shape? Or straight across?
Feye's or Creaclip?

Usual suspects:
- a hidden tangle that left a strand longer than the rest
- your part was not right in the middle

My tip is: Don't freak out. Put the scissors down and the hair up. Re-evaluate after a week both with wet and dry hair.

lapushka
November 24th, 2019, 04:48 AM
Have you tried Feye's method.

Look at this, very carefully. You might need to do some additional steps, but be *very* very conservative with what you cut off!

https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

MusicalSpoons
November 24th, 2019, 10:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSOGwE8Nf1M From about 7 minutes in she's tidying up the hemline. I don't know how BSL hair behaves, whether you can get it all round to the front or not, but if you can then the principle of what she's doing in the video might be helpful for you.

But obviously, Very carefully and Very slowly - dusting the uneven bit, basically, not changing the rest of the hairs that are already fine.

Cg
November 24th, 2019, 11:35 AM
I use Feye's on my stick-straight fine hair. At your length, I advise asking someone else to even that last spot. No matter what you do, there isn't sufficient length yet to keep it even when you turn or twist it. I think MBL or WL was when it became possible alone. You'll get there soon.

Atrocia
November 25th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Thank you so much, everyone! I was using CreaClip and going for a U shape. I think I’ll try Feye’s method next time. I’m the meantime, I’m just going to leave it alone for a while. I’m afraid I’ll end up taking too much off trying to even it out, and I wear it up a lot anyway. I might try to see if my mom will snip that last spot for me when I’m there for Thanksgiving.