PDA

View Full Version : Protein-free Vo5?

sillyme
November 21st, 2019, 08:02 AM
Can anyone tell me which, if any, Vo5 shampoo/conditioners are protein-free?

I asked this question in the Vo5 thread, but didn't get any results. Can anybody here help me, please... :pray: ?

I have found out, thanks to using the Vo5 Extra Body set, that my hair doesn't like proteins. From what I've read, it may be because I have virgin hair and with very little damage. I'm not sure, but I am sure protein and my hair do not get along.:slap:

I have been using the Vo5 Strawberries and Cream shampoo and conditioner for quite a while now but have to clarify often because of some kind of build-up. I guess it's the protein (soy milk) building up? I start getting "crunchy" ends, and dried-out looking tresses, and clarifying helps reset it. I would love to have a protein-free Vo5 set so that I wouldn't have to clarify at all.

I'm wanting to stay with Vo5 because my hair doesn't like cones, and because Vo5 is cheap and available everywhere, but I'm having problems deciphering the labels. I've searched and searched for a list of protein ingredients to look for, but none of them seems to be complete.

I found the Vo5 Detox set at CVS, and have been using it for clarifying. But, CVS is the ONLY place I've seen it and they are not replenishing their stock so I can only assume it is a temporary item. Here are the ingredients. Are there any proteins hiding in there that you can find?

VO5 Detox Shampoo: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Coco-Betaine, Lauroyl/ Myristoyl Methyl Glucamide, Fragrance, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Glycerin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Biotin (Vitamin H), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil.

VO5 Detox Conditioner: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance, Glycerin, Ceteareth-20, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, EDTA, Polysorbate 20, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Biotin (Vitamin H), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil.

Thanks in advance for your help! :o

AshtangiPNW
November 21st, 2019, 08:48 AM
Hi sillyme! :waving: I'm not sure about all of the v05 conditioners, but I do know that the sunkissed raspberry conditioner is protein-free. It is usually available from CVS online. The passionfruit conditioner, however, is not protein free. Your hair might just be reacting to the proteins. My hair also does not tolerate protein well either, and I noticed a big difference between these two conditioners when I was co-washing.

This SMT recipe is a great deep treatment for extra moisture, and might help with the protein overload. It has conditioner, honey, and aloe. --> https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

:heart:

Dark40
November 21st, 2019, 03:47 PM
Hi sillyme, you might want to try the Kiwi and Lime line. They don't have any proteins in it I don't think.

MusicalSpoons
November 21st, 2019, 03:57 PM
Okay, not a complete list, but general guidelines:

Hydrolysed xyz = usually protein
Collagen, elastin, keratin, silk, amino acids = all protein
Grains/seeds are often sources of protein, *not if it's just the oil* but usually the extract will be (so wheat, quinoa, soy, oat, rice, etc.)
Amino acids are chemicals with names such as serine, valine, threonine, cysteine, etc. Though the amino acids themselves are small and generally play a role in hydration more so than a structural role like the grain proteins do.

None in the V05 you listed :) though I am surprised Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are so high up the ingredients lists - either there's a higher concentration of them than usual, or the ingredients listed afterwards are in such minute quantities they may as well not be there :lol:

sillyme
November 21st, 2019, 04:01 PM
Hi sillyme! :waving: I'm not sure about all of the v05 conditioners, but I do know that the sunkissed raspberry conditioner is protein-free. It is usually available from CVS online. The passionfruit conditioner, however, is not protein free. Your hair might just be reacting to the proteins. My hair also does not tolerate protein well either, and I noticed a big difference between these two conditioners when I was co-washing.

This SMT recipe is a great deep treatment for extra moisture, and might help with the protein overload. It has conditioner, honey, and aloe. --> https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

:heart:

Thank you so much for your input. I've thought about trying an SMT if just leaving off the proteins didn't help. It kind of makes me nervous to try it because my fine hair can't handle much moisture without looking limp and stringy. My hair looked much better today after using the Detox set I mentioned, so I'm guessing it doesn't have protein.

While in town today, I stopped at a grocery store that has the best selection of Vo5 locally. They didn't have the Sunkissed Raspberry (it sounds yummy to me because I love raspberry scents), but they did have Blackberry Sage. Do you know if it has proteins? I didn't recognize any in the ingedient list for that one. It doesn't mean it doesn't have protein, it only means I didn't see anything that screamed "PROTEIN" to me. :)

Thanks again for your help!

sillyme
November 21st, 2019, 04:10 PM
Okay, not a complete list, but general guidelines:

Hydrolysed xyz = usually protein
Collagen, elastin, keratin, silk, amino acids = all protein
Grains/seeds are often sources of protein, *not if it's just the oil* but usually the extract will be (so wheat, quinoa, soy, oat, rice, etc.)
Amino acids are chemicals with names such as serine, valine, threonine, cysteine, etc. Though the amino acids themselves are small and generally play a role in hydration more so than a structural role like the grain proteins do.

None in the V05 you listed :) though I am surprised Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are so high up the ingredients lists - either there's a higher concentration of them than usual, or the ingredients listed afterwards are in such minute quantities they may as well not be there :lol:

Thanks Dark40 and MusicalSpoons for the suggestion and the list of proteins,

I was surprised to find the "-ones" so high on the list too, but I always suspected those "good" ingredients Vo5 brags about, the vitamins and oils, were in tiny, tiny amounts. But then, that could be why my hair likes Vo5, because oils seem to scare it.

MusicalSpoons
November 21st, 2019, 05:44 PM
Thanks Dark40 and MusicalSpoons for the suggestion and the list of proteins,

I was surprised to find the "-ones" so high on the list too, but I always suspected those "good" ingredients Vo5 brags about, the vitamins and oils, were in tiny, tiny amounts. But then, that could be why my hair likes Vo5, because oils seem to scare it.

:laugh: fair enough!

sillyme
November 22nd, 2019, 02:18 PM
While looking at V05 shampoos and conditioners available at a local grocery store yesterday, I found the Blackberry Sage set. I don't see anything that looks like protein to me. Could someone that knows their Proteins take a look at the ingredients for me and see if I'm missing anything? I so hope there are no hidden proteins, because it smells so good!

Thank you so much for your help! :flower:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39134&d=1574455810

Alberto VO5 Tea Therapy Shampoo, Revitalizing, Blackberry Sage Tea

Shampoo Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polyquaternium-7, Fragrance, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Glycerin, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Blackberry Fruit Extract, Sage Leaf Extract, Polysorbate 20. Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Biotin (Vitamin H), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil, Ext. Violet 2 , Red 33, Red 40

Conditioner Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Fragrance, Glyceryl Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Disodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Blackberry Fruit Extract, Sage Leaf Extract, Polysorbate 20, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Biotin (Vitamin H)

AutobotsAttack
November 22nd, 2019, 03:14 PM
While looking at V05 shampoos and conditioners available at a local grocery store yesterday, I found the Blackberry Sage set. I don't see anything that looks like protein to me. Could someone that knows their Proteins take a look at the ingredients for me and see if I'm missing anything? I so hope there are no hidden proteins, because it smells so good!

Thank you so much for your help! :flower:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39134&d=1574455810

Alberto VO5 Tea Therapy Shampoo, Revitalizing, Blackberry Sage Tea

Shampoo Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polyquaternium-7, Fragrance, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Glycerin, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Blackberry Fruit Extract, Sage Leaf Extract, Polysorbate 20. Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Biotin (Vitamin H), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil, Ext. Violet 2 , Red 33, Red 40

Conditioner Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Fragrance, Glyceryl Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Disodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Blackberry Fruit Extract, Sage Leaf Extract, Polysorbate 20, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Biotin (Vitamin H)

I would bet that it has nothing to do with your hair being protein sensitive. And everything to do with your porosity. Since you have rather virgin hair, I suspect everywhere, but the ends of your hair, is low in porosity, meaning a decent amount of products that are cheaper in quality will end up sitting on your hair and not really penetrate. Low porosity can give the illusion of protein sensitivity. Dryness, crunchiness, etc. The product that’s just sitting on top of the hair will eventually dry, and create some sort of a cast.

VO5 is notorious for giving a lot of people that dry feeling, regardless of how much of a product based ingredient, or lack thereof is even in the product. The more hydrolyzed an ingredient is, the more it has the ability to absorb into the hair. Hydrolysis isn’t only limited to protein based products either, hence why a moisturizing treatment, or conditioner can also leave the hair feeling dry, if the molecules aren’t small enough to penetrate into the hair.

The better quality products, tend to either penetrate better, or possess qualities, that impart slip really well by imparting positively charged ions onto the hair, which in turn decreases the surface tension either between water, the brush, the comb, or your hands. That’s not to say you can’t use vO5, if you find a different formulation that works, then great, but if you’re still having issues like the one you described, perhaps using a higher quality product with serve you better. There’s no protein based ingredients in the list your provided, but again, same thing I mentioned earlier.

Case in point would be Centrimonium Chloride. Since it’s right up there at the beginning of the list, the majority of the conditioner, at least, is largely comprised of it. Centrimonium is amphoteric, so a certain degree, meaning it can act as a base or an acid, depending on what it’s mixed with. Unlike BTMS, which is amazing at delivering positively charged ions, Centrimonium can deliver positive, as well as negatively charged ions. Thing with that is, negatively charged hair can become dry, brittle, prone to static, etc. This is even more so, the more water evaporates from your hair after you get out of the shower. Hence why Centrimonium and it’s derivatives can, and typically do cause stiffness or dryness that’s often associated with too much protein.

Again, that’s not to say all products with Centrimonium or its derivatives won’t work, or that it’s bad, but it may not be the best choice for certain individuals.

And I say all of this mainly focusing on the conditioners you’ve stated that you used. I’m assuming sulfates are something you’re comfortable using.

MusicalSpoons
November 22nd, 2019, 04:08 PM
Case in point would be Centrimonium Chloride. Since it’s right up there at the beginning of the list, the majority of the conditioner, at least, is largely comprised of it. Centrimonium is amphoteric, so a certain degree, meaning it can act as a base or an acid, depending on what it’s mixed with. Unlike BTMS, which is amazing at delivering positively charged ions, Centrimonium can deliver positive, as well as negatively charged ions. Thing with that is, negatively charged hair can become dry, brittle, prone to static, etc. This is even more so, the more water evaporates from your hair after you get out of the shower. Hence why Centrimonium and it’s derivatives can, and typically do cause stiffness or dryness that’s often associated with too much protein.

Faaaascinating, I just checked five conditioners, and the three that do not much or nothing for my hair all have cetrimonium chloride high up in the ingredients (though after cetyl alcohol, which is also in the ones my hair loves). Would you mind expanding on which chemicals are its derivatives please?

sillyme
November 22nd, 2019, 06:26 PM
I would bet that it has nothing to do with your hair being protein sensitive. And everything to do with your porosity. Since you have rather virgin hair, I suspect everywhere, but the ends of your hair, is low in porosity, meaning a decent amount of products that are cheaper in quality will end up sitting on your hair and not really penetrate. Low porosity can give the illusion of protein sensitivity. Dryness, crunchiness, etc. The product that’s just sitting on top of the hair will eventually dry, and create some sort of a cast.

VO5 is notorious for giving a lot of people that dry feeling, regardless of how much of a product based ingredient, or lack thereof is even in the product. The more hydrolyzed an ingredient is, the more it has the ability to absorb into the hair. Hydrolysis isn’t only limited to protein based products either, hence why a moisturizing treatment, or conditioner can also leave the hair feeling dry, if the molecules aren’t small enough to penetrate into the hair.

The better quality products, tend to either penetrate better, or possess qualities, that impart slip really well by imparting positively charged ions onto the hair, which in turn decreases the surface tension either between water, the brush, the comb, or your hands. That’s not to say you can’t use vO5, if you find a different formulation that works, then great, but if you’re still having issues like the one you described, perhaps using a higher quality product with serve you better. There’s no protein based ingredients in the list your provided, but again, same thing I mentioned earlier.

Again, that’s not to say all products with Centrimonium or its derivatives won’t work, or that it’s bad, but it may not be the best choice for certain individuals.

And I say all of this mainly focusing on the conditioners you’ve stated that you used. I’m assuming sulfates are something you’re comfortable using.

Thank you for this information, it certainly gives me something to check out. I especially want to do some research about porosity of hair and how products affect it.

However, I still believe my problem is protein. I have kept a Hair Log for five years now. I write down every product I use and how my hair reacts to it. I have tried many, many different types and brands of shampoos and conditioners (from the cheapest to salon brands) over those five years. My hair behaves best with a strong sulfate shampoo and a lightweight, cone-free conditioner. I had used Suave Essentials, which was quite similar to the Vo5 (strong sulfate and no cones), for about three years with wonderful results, but Suave changed their formula last year. Mostly what I didn't like about the new formula was the scent change. So, that's when I went to Vo5. I started with the Strawberry shampoo/conditioner, keeping records, and saw that I was having to clarify after about every three washes. I suspected it was the soy milk protein building up. But it was when I got the V05 Extra Body with Collagen in the shampoo and conditioner, that the real problem started.

After reading everything I could about the problems I was having with my hair and deciding it was a protein problem, I followed the advice to correct the protein overload. Step 1 was to clarify. I clarified, again with a Vo5 product, their new Detox shampoo and conditioner. The crunchy ends felt much better after the first wash. I followed it up with two more washes with the same shampoo/conditioner set over the next two consecutive days, and my hair was back to its normal self; shiny tresses, and soft ends.

Step two of the instructions was to moisturize, so thinking I needed a "more natural" shampoo and conditioner for this corrective action, I bought the Maui Moisture Hibiscus set. After the first shampoo and condition with this set, my hair became very dull, dry, full of static, and quite "fluffy" in a very unattractive way. It made me think of all the more "natural" shampoos I've tried over the years. Sulfate-free shampoos are murder on my hair. I have never understood why. But, I do know that I have never had an oil that my hair agreed with either and most of the more natural shampoo/conditioners I have tried had a lot of oils. I decided to try once more with the Maui set though and had the exact same results as the first time.

I realize my hair is not "typical," in that it does much better with the cheaper products, :shrug: but I can live with it and my pocketbook even appreciates it. :)

My hair is still behaving very well with the Vo5 Detox shampoo/conditioner. The scent of this one is kind of a detergent scent, which makes sense, seeing it is meant to "detox" hair. But I love fruit scented shampoos, thus my reason for checking out the ingredients of the Blackberry Sage set. The ingredients are very similar to the Detox set, so I'm thinking I'll probably have about the same results, only sweeter. :skittles:

Thank you for answering my question about whether or not this shampoo/conditioner contains proteins. And thank you again also for these other subjects to look into.

AutobotsAttack
November 22nd, 2019, 08:06 PM
Faaaascinating, I just checked five conditioners, and the three that do not much or nothing for my hair all have cetrimonium chloride high up in the ingredients (though after cetyl alcohol, which is also in the ones my hair loves). Would you mind expanding on which chemicals are its derivatives please?

cetyl trimethylammonium, or hexadecyltrimethylammonium. There’s also Centrimonium Bromide. The first two are quaternary agents. So they behave like typical polyquats (7, 11, 15, etc.), that are also in our products.

Depending on what that ingredient is mixed with determines how my hair will behave too. I can’t always pinpoint it, but I try to see what’s either before that ingredient, or after it. Thing I notice for me personally, is if Centrimonium is behind some sort of Alcohol based ingredient, my hair doesn’t really respond well to it. If the Centrimonium is behind or followed by some sort of glycerin based product my hair tends to behave a bit better.

MusicalSpoons
November 22nd, 2019, 08:34 PM
cetyl trimethylammonium, or hexadecyltrimethylammonium. There’s also Centrimonium Bromide. The first two are quaternary agents. So they behave like typical polyquats (7, 11, 15, etc.), that are also in our products.

Thanks. I didn't see any of those in the conditioners I checked, or if they were there, they weren't anywhere near the first half of the list. Good to know when considering any future purchases though. However, considering how long my stash will last me I ought not be buying any new conditioners for quite some time anyway!

Depending on what that ingredient is mixed with determines how my hair will behave too. I can’t always pinpoint it, but I try to see what’s either before that ingredient, or after it. Thing I notice for me personally, is if Centrimonium is behind some sort of Alcohol based ingredient, my hair doesn’t really respond well to it. If the Centrimonium is behind or followed by some sort of glycerin based product my hair tends to behave a bit better.

How interesting! If it's with a glycerin based product is your hair fine with it, or just relatively better than cetrimonium + alcohol but still not good?

AutobotsAttack
November 23rd, 2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks. I didn't see any of those in the conditioners I checked, or if they were there, they weren't anywhere near the first half of the list. Good to know when considering any future purchases though. However, considering how long my stash will last me I ought not be buying any new conditioners for quite some time anyway!

How interesting! If it's with a glycerin based product is your hair fine with it, or just relatively better than cetrimonium + alcohol but still not good?

Mostly just relatively better than with it being paired next to an alcohol. If I had to choose, I’d pick the glycerin one every time.