PDA

View Full Version : Scalp doesn't feel oily enough to shampoo, but the rest of my hair looks oily?

Laurab
November 17th, 2019, 05:20 PM
So, is there a non-dry shampoo way to fix this? I don't like how dry shampoo makes my hair feel.
Ever since using a boar-bristle brush I've been able to distribute the oil in my hair better, and I no longer feel super greasy at the scalp after a day.
But my hair still gets oily quick. Fine straight hair is like that.
Plus my hair looks considerably darker when it's oily, and it tends to clump together towards the front (where I touch it most/it touches my face), so I feel like it's noticable.
Is there anything else I can do to make it look better?
I've tried a co-wash, but it just makes my hair softer. It doesn't have the same lightness and shine that it does fresh after a wash.
Would attempting a silicone free shampoo help at all?
Literally the only products I use reguarly are shampoo and conditioner. I leave nothing in my hair.
Thanks!

Natalia_A00
November 17th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Silicone free shampoo and conditioner might help. Or maybe the type of silicones you're using are the ones that stay in your hair longer. Also, try using a clarifying or purifying shampoo (just once to get rid of the products) if you haven't yet. Maybe what you have it's build-up.

lapushka
November 18th, 2019, 03:38 PM
So, is there a non-dry shampoo way to fix this? I don't like how dry shampoo makes my hair feel.
Ever since using a boar-bristle brush I've been able to distribute the oil in my hair better, and I no longer feel super greasy at the scalp after a day.
But my hair still gets oily quick. Fine straight hair is like that.
Plus my hair looks considerably darker when it's oily, and it tends to clump together towards the front (where I touch it most/it touches my face), so I feel like it's noticable.
Is there anything else I can do to make it look better?
I've tried a co-wash, but it just makes my hair softer. It doesn't have the same lightness and shine that it does fresh after a wash.
Would attempting a silicone free shampoo help at all?
Literally the only products I use reguarly are shampoo and conditioner. I leave nothing in my hair.
Thanks!

I would not CO-wash if you have oily hair, it will make things even worse! Gentler ways of washing often don't help, is what I'm saying.

I use a shampoo typically without silicones, because I have oilier hair and SD (seborrheic dermatitis). Silicones can be "moisturizing" on the hair, give it more slip and may have it look more slippy/oily.

Over the years my hair has normalized, so I can go a week without washing now. But I used to need to wash it 2/3 times a week.

Any volumizing shampoo should be without silicones. And that might help loads.

You could try going sulfate-free or sulfate-mild, but that never worked for me when I needed to wash it more often still.

Laurab
November 18th, 2019, 04:59 PM
I would not CO-wash if you have oily hair, it will make things even worse! Gentler ways of washing often don't help, is what I'm saying.

I use a shampoo typically without silicones, because I have oilier hair and SD (seborrheic dermatitis). Silicones can be "moisturizing" on the hair, give it more slip and may have it look more slippy/oily.

Over the years my hair has normalized, so I can go a week without washing now. But I used to need to wash it 2/3 times a week.

Any volumizing shampoo should be without silicones. And that might help loads.

You could try going sulfate-free or sulfate-mild, but that never worked for me when I needed to wash it more often still.

Huh, y'know I've never thought about giving up silicones without giving up sulfate. They're sort of partnered together in my mind, but they really shouldn't have to be.
I also didn't even know shampoo has silicone in it, I thought that was just conditioner.
I'll check my products out and maybe try something new. It looks like there's several silicone free brands that are drugstore accessible.

Thanks!

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 01:30 AM
Huh, y'know I've never thought about giving up silicones without giving up sulfate. They're sort of partnered together in my mind, but they really shouldn't have to be.
I also didn't even know shampoo has silicone in it, I thought that was just conditioner.
I'll check my products out and maybe try something new. It looks like there's several silicone free brands that are drugstore accessible.

Thanks!

They really aren't partnered in shampoos that are sulfate-laden if you pick the right shampoo that is!

Volumizing concoctions typically don't (or should not) have them. So if you don't know your ingredients, you are pretty safe with that. I know the Pantene one is OK. I'm unsure about other brands. You can always ask here before buying anything!!!

MusicalSpoons
November 19th, 2019, 09:34 AM
What did you use to co-wash, just out of interest? Designated co-washes tend to be formulated to be moisturising because they're aimed at curlies whereas just a light, cone-free conditioner might do the job for someone whose hair doesn't need anything particularly moisturising.

The only actual solution I can think of is to stop using the BBB, tbh. I was trying to work out exactly what you mean by the hair being oilier then the scalp, and if it is what I think it is, my hair does that if I leave it long enough without washing, but by then there is no choice but to wash! It's not salvageable by any other means, for me anyway.

[A BBB only ever got the oils to neck length over the course of a few days, whereas with preening using my fingers the furthest I could get them was to around shoulder length. But I was still a total oil slick and it just wasn't something I could do if I ever wanted to step foot outside the house or even see anyone outside my family :laugh:]

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 09:44 AM
What did you use to co-wash, just out of interest? Designated co-washes tend to be formulated to be moisturising because they're aimed at curlies whereas just a light, cone-free conditioner might do the job for someone whose hair doesn't need anything particularly moisturising.

A designated CO-wash or regular conditioner both had the same effect on my hair. It might be a *tad* more cleansing if you use a designated CO-wash, but if you're oily... it really doesn't matter.

MusicalSpoons
November 19th, 2019, 09:50 AM
A designated CO-wash or regular conditioner both had the same effect on my hair. It might be a *tad* more cleansing if you use a designated CO-wash, but if you're oily... it really doesn't matter.

As always, YMMV - I've found a couple of light conditioners that left my hair fluffy and bouncy, and I am certainly oily (would need washing every 2 days if I needed to look presentable). It actually made no difference to the oiliness so it wasn't a solution, and for various reasons I couldn't keep up the co-washing, but if it had been possible, my hair would have quite liked me to continue! Incidentally the conditioners are certainly not ones that would impress our lengths, nowhere near mosturising enough for either of us :lol:

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 02:38 PM
As always, YMMV - I've found a couple of light conditioners that left my hair fluffy and bouncy, and I am certainly oily (would need washing every 2 days if I needed to look presentable). It actually made no difference to the oiliness so it wasn't a solution, and for various reasons I couldn't keep up the co-washing, but if it had been possible, my hair would have quite liked me to continue! Incidentally the conditioners are certainly not ones that would impress our lengths, nowhere near mosturising enough for either of us :lol:

You are so lucky you can use something gentler. My scalp is just having... none of it! :lol:

MusicalSpoons
November 19th, 2019, 03:50 PM
You are so lucky you can use something gentler. My scalp is just having... none of it! :lol:

Perhaps, but life would be so much simpler if I could just use a normal, cheap shampoo! :p The one I've found eventually that my scalp likes only comes in 265ml bottles from Holland and Barrett - granted, not the most expensive hair products, but even on offer I wouldn't class them as particularly cheap either. I was fortunate enough to have vouchers to use when I first bought it to try but I've resigned myself to having to pay a bit more for it in future, and if there occasionally any better deals or vouchers it will be a bonus.

0xalis
November 20th, 2019, 10:53 AM
I was having this problem too, and quite simply the solution for me was just washing more frequently. I wash every other day and I'm fine with that. Stretching washes was always torture for me, I hate the look and feel of greasy hair.
I too have fine and relatively straight hair. I wash very gently and always rinse conditioner out in cold water, my hair really doesn't seem to mind. YMMV!

lapushka
November 20th, 2019, 12:16 PM
I was having this problem too, and quite simply the solution for me was just washing more frequently. I wash every other day and I'm fine with that. Stretching washes was always torture for me, I hate the look and feel of greasy hair.
I too have fine and relatively straight hair. I wash very gently and always rinse conditioner out in cold water, my hair really doesn't seem to mind. YMMV!

If you rinse conditioner out with cold water, it's not coming out of your hair fully. Now, I don't know if that's your intention, just wanted to put that out there. The cuticle needs to be open if products are to "pass through" the hair, so warm to hot water does that, it opens that cuticle. Make it as warm as you can make it without it feeling like it's burning! Then if you want to close that cuticle, do a cold rinse *after* everything is *out* of the hair.

Laurab
November 20th, 2019, 05:32 PM

I've been thinking about this too...
I think I'm going to try a few more things to extend washes, but at the end of the day if the most damaging thing I'm doing to my hair is washing it more often that's not the end of the world.
Like, I never even blow-dry my hair, and it isn't dried out or anything.
I think I just worry about getting split ends, since I'm growing it out specifically to wear it in a wedding (though the bride MIGHT be expecting, so plans may happily change lol) and I'm already pushing the limit (If it's the month she was originally thinking anyway). I never really had issues with split ends in the past, but I'm trying to be as careful as possible.

0xalis
November 20th, 2019, 09:33 PM
If you rinse conditioner out with cold water, it's not coming out of your hair fully. Now, I don't know if that's your intention, just wanted to put that out there. The cuticle needs to be open if products are to "pass through" the hair, so warm to hot water does that, it opens that cuticle. Make it as warm as you can make it without it feeling like it's burning! Then if you want to close that cuticle, do a cold rinse *after* everything is *out* of the hair.

You're right, and I should have included that!

0xalis
November 20th, 2019, 09:36 PM
I've been thinking about this too...
I think I'm going to try a few more things to extend washes, but at the end of the day if the most damaging thing I'm doing to my hair is washing it more often that's not the end of the world.
Like, I never even blow-dry my hair, and it isn't dried out or anything.
I think I just worry about getting split ends, since I'm growing it out specifically to wear it in a wedding (though the bride MIGHT be expecting, so plans may happily change lol) and I'm already pushing the limit (If it's the month she was originally thinking anyway). I never really had issues with split ends in the past, but I'm trying to be as careful as possible.

Don't worry too much, just search your ends frequently and when you see a split, grab your sharpest scissors (best to keep a pair specifically for this job) and snip! Search and destroy!! You seem like you're being quite careful and if you've not had many issues with breakage before as long as you keep it up (eating healthy stuff and taking a multivitamin is always a bonus lol) you should be good to go!

lapushka
November 21st, 2019, 07:50 AM
You're right, and I should have included that!

Oh no worries!