PDA

View Full Version : First haircut in a year. Any advice for getting a good haircut?

stephy190
November 16th, 2019, 11:40 AM
If anyone has any advice for getting a haircut with a new hairdresser and how to communicate for only getting a tiny trim? I always seem to get too much cut off!

spidermom
November 16th, 2019, 12:29 PM
I had the same person cut and style my hair for years. This year I moved 3000 miles away, and I'm pondering the same questions. I think it's important to tell stylists what your goal is and show them with your fingers exactly how much of a trim you want. I don't think it's a good idea to tell them a unit of measure such as 1 inch because many times other people don't take what you say literally. One person's idea of an inch isn't necessarily another person's idea of an inch. Sounds crazy but it's true.

Most important, watch what the stylist is doing. If you don't want layers, don't let the stylist pull your hair out at an angle. Angles mean layers. So many people have complained here about asking for 2 inches off and ending up with 8 inches cut off. Stop the stylist before that happens.

That said, I've been putting off seeing a stylist myself and have been contemplating either letting my hair grow without trimming (fairy tale ends) or trimming my hair by myself.

ponine
November 16th, 2019, 12:33 PM
One advice I've heard is to visualize how much you want off. People might have different ideas of how much 3 cm or 1 inch is.

I recently went after one year too, I just asked to cut all dry bits of and she showed me how much she thought she should cut. I told her to go for it even tho it was some 5 cm bigger trim than I originally planned.

stephy190
November 16th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Thanks for those tips! I can remember asking for a half inch off with a junior stylist (first mistake) and she took off 2.5 inches which is so much!! I will show the amount of hair this time. I just dread the awkwardness as I'm so fussy with haircuts they probably think I'm weird for fussing so much and being so particular! Hopefully we will both get the courage up to book an appointment! I could say what's the worst that could happen but it could definitely go very wrong lol

SleepyTangles
November 16th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Before I committed to a new hairdresser, I had a consult with her. By "consult", I mean that I explained to her what I wanted in detail, expectations, concerns... everything.
I showed her pictures (I was going for a big change, not a trim). She told me the truth, that some part of what I wanted were not realistic. We talked together about the best way to bring my idea into reality, with my face and hair type.
I also told her that I do absolutely nothing to my hair (no curling, no straightening, no teasing, nothing), so the cut had to fit my texture and my routine.
I carefully observed her reactions and they were satisfactory, we also shared similar ideas regarding what makes hair healthy and how is the best way to cut it.
She also allowed me to bring my own shampoo and conditioner, because I donīt use silicones and itīs rare to find a professional line without any kind of cone.

In short: be that client. Politely. Gently. Better be regarded as "that client" (demanding, hysterical, obsessed) than setting her and yourself for failure.
Making her hyper-aware about what sheīs doing is better than having to passively cry at home or venting on her after the cut.

stephy190
November 16th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Haha that sounds good! I did that when last found a new hairdresser after a horrendous haircut I had to fix it. The last thing I wanted was a haircut making it even worse! It does work to be super fussy and obsessed as it makes them really aware and focused on getting it just right so I might take that approach :)

lapushka
November 16th, 2019, 03:45 PM
I linked Feye's self-trimming method in your other thread. Your hair is BSL? Then it is long enough to do this yourself. Plenty of us do this!