PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends!!!

Stardreamer
November 15th, 2019, 01:24 AM
I was doing a no-trimming until 2020 challenge, but I have discovered that I have more than a few split ends. I'll be looking at my hair in the car, find a few split ends then get home, get my scissors out and I can't find those splits, lol. I S&D my hair pretty regularly.

I'm currently at almost 7 months without cutting or trimming my hair, which is almost 28 weeks :O
My last cut was on the 21st April, have not trimmed even since then.

I like to reach 6 months of solid growth before cutting or trimming. This time I wanted to reach 2020 with no trims but that's not possible now. I still want to reach 7 months, and I will do. It will feel like reaching a personal milestone.

Seeing split ends is hideous. I am going to trim my hair after I reach 7 months of growth. Do you guys have any thoughts? Split ends freak me out so much!! How much should I trim off to get rid of my split ends? How long before they will come back again? Plus, the ends of my hair are a little dry and tangled.

I want to add that I am currently between Shoulder Length and Armpit Length. My final goal is Mid-Back Length for now. I should be at APL soon, and I want to keep as much length as possible. I have curly hair so cuts/trims always make my hair look a lot shorter. Curly hair is so difficult to manage. Will managing it get harder as I grow my hair longer?

Jo Ann
November 15th, 2019, 02:07 AM
Weird double post...

Jo Ann
November 15th, 2019, 02:10 AM
With my hair, I find a 1/2" trim every six months takes care of almost all of my split ends.

What I would suggest is try oiling the last couple of inches of your ends when you notice them getting dry and start brushing/combing your hair from the bottom up to work out the tangles. As you find tangles, start separating them gently hair by hair--usually, you'll find a piece of lint is causing your tangles.

LittleHealthy
November 15th, 2019, 04:32 AM
It's really tricky managing split ends before the hair is long enough to easily see and perform S & D trimming. I only ever trim when absolutely necessary and tend to try and avoid it (just giving background to my suggestion), I would wait. Naturally we do get split ends, it's just something that happens. If there are only a very small amount, if it were me I would hold out, maybe do a full trim in 2020 if you found a whole heap of splits, but if only a few, if it were I, I would hold out until things were getting to be more than just a few splits here and there.
Don't forget there are many women who have long hair and rarely give it a second thought. It will grow nicely and healthily, even if a few splits jump on and sneak along for the ride :)

Dark40
November 15th, 2019, 10:38 AM
I agree with both Jo Ann and LittleHealthy. If you have dry ends put some on them. You gotta keep the hair, scalp, and ends moisturized if you want to grow long healthy hair. That's what I do when I'm experiencing dry ends. But if I were you, I would wait until 2020 to give myself a trim.

Kalamazoo
November 15th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Some folks say that dragging plastic combs/brushes through one's hair causes static electricity, which in turn causes splits, frizz, etc. Personally, I ditched my plastic & bought combs made of either wood or ox horn on eBay. I also bought an acetate cellulose comb, which is also anti-static. My favorite combs are made of either cherrywood, lignum vitae, black sandalwood, or neem.

MusicalSpoons
November 15th, 2019, 02:36 PM
^ I'm not sure that static causes splits (though if it causes tangles it could) but plastic combs *are* more likely to have seams which can damage your hair over time.

How are you wearing your hair in the daytime and at night? What kind of pillowcase do you use?

Spikey
November 15th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Personally, I'd wait. Splits are just a fact of life when you're a curly longhair, those ends will never be perfect. I just accept it, S&D when I can, and keep a nice hydrating conditioner (or an SMT, which really helps!) on hand for when my ends feel dry. 2020 is super close anyway, and as long as you're keeping it up and being nice to it it's probably just fine to wait :)

Stardreamer
November 15th, 2019, 05:16 PM
With my hair, I find a 1/2" trim every six months takes care of almost all of my split ends.

What I would suggest is try oiling the last couple of inches of your ends when you notice them getting dry and start brushing/combing your hair from the bottom up to work out the tangles. As you find tangles, start separating them gently hair by hair--usually, you'll find a piece of lint is causing your tangles.

I could put oil on the ends - I will put argan oil on today. I always really brush from the bottom of my hair up, the only time I don't is when I comb my wet hair after the shower (or if I'm in a hurry/can't be bothered/mad at my hair). I get fluff in my hair every now and then. And I think I will trim off half an inch then.

It's really tricky managing split ends before the hair is long enough to easily see and perform S & D trimming. I only ever trim when absolutely necessary and tend to try and avoid it (just giving background to my suggestion), I would wait. Naturally we do get split ends, it's just something that happens. If there are only a very small amount, if it were me I would hold out, maybe do a full trim in 2020 if you found a whole heap of splits, but if only a few, if it were I, I would hold out until things were getting to be more than just a few splits here and there.
Don't forget there are many women who have long hair and rarely give it a second thought. It will grow nicely and healthily, even if a few splits jump on and sneak along for the ride :)

I can *just* pull my hair over my shoulders to see it better. The only reason I would hold off trimming is to get some more growth. I really feel like my hair needs to be freshened up a bit, too. I guess it can still grow while having a few dry, split ends but it would be much better (and feel better for me) being healthy and soft all over.

I agree with both Jo Ann and LittleHealthy. If you have dry ends put some on them. You gotta keep the hair, scalp, and ends moisturized if you want to grow long healthy hair. That's what I do when I'm experiencing dry ends. But if I were you, I would wait until 2020 to give myself a trim.

Thanks for your input :) I have yet to make up my mind (I really wanna trim my hair ASAP - and also to freshen up my look if that makes sense) but I'll consider waiting..

Some folks say that dragging plastic combs/brushes through one's hair causes static electricity, which in turn causes splits, frizz, etc. Personally, I ditched my plastic & bought combs made of either wood or ox horn on eBay. I also bought an acetate cellulose comb, which is also anti-static. My favorite combs are made of either cherrywood, lignum vitae, black sandalwood, or neem.

I use plastic hairbrushes and combs

^ I'm not sure that static causes splits (though if it causes tangles it could) but plastic combs *are* more likely to have seams which can damage your hair over time.

How are you wearing your hair in the daytime and at night? What kind of pillowcase do you use?

Hmm. I use a cotton pillowcase. And I wear my hair either down, in a low ponytail, or a half-pulled through ponytail-bun. I sometimes have Dutch braids. At night, I have my hair in a high half-pulled through ponytail bun (actually a bun) which might rub against the pillow. It gets loose. Or I wear my hair in one Dutch braid. I've slept with my hair down a few times.

Personally, I'd wait. Splits are just a fact of life when you're a curly longhair, those ends will never be perfect. I just accept it, S&D when I can, and keep a nice hydrating conditioner (or an SMT, which really helps!) on hand for when my ends feel dry. 2020 is super close anyway, and as long as you're keeping it up and being nice to it it's probably just fine to wait :)

Oh okay, thanks, I was freaking out. Maybe I'll reconsider :thumbsup:

Joules
November 16th, 2019, 02:33 AM

I agree. I think it's impossible to have zero splits with long hair, and just a few doesn't even count :D if it doesn't make your ends behave like velcro I'd say forget about them.

ExpectoPatronum
November 16th, 2019, 09:00 PM
Seconding what others have said - I'd wait to trim. A few split ends won't be the end of growing out your hair. It's almost the end of 2019 anyway. As long as you take care of your hair (maybe oiling the ends), I think you can make it to the end of the year without trimming. Then you can trim for the new year and start 2020 off with fresh ends!

Just be careful of not getting stuck in the cycle of trimming your hair every time your ends start to split. I got stuck in that cycle and my hair never grew past MBL. I've learned to accept that my ends are never going to stay perfectly soft if I'm growing my hair long.

Stardreamer
November 19th, 2019, 12:49 AM
I'll just trim every 6 months - confident I can make it to MBL. Thanks, and I did trim :)