PDA

View Full Version : Best towel/cap to dry long hair?

aenigmatica8
November 13th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Hi all,

This is a question for the ladies (or gentleman!) with very long hair that won't fit into any microfiber towel turban. I know we shouldn't be using a traditional cotton towel, but that seems to be the only thing that fits all my hair. A T-shirt also is too small to wrap my hair in.

What do you put on it when you hop out of the shower? I'm looking for something that's easy to put on and I won't need a flat surface or anything other than my two hands, and that I can forget about for 15 minutes.

Thanks! :)

Zesty
November 13th, 2019, 07:47 AM
When I outgrew my Aquis turban I bought a beach towel sized microfiber towel on Amazon. They're often marketed as travel (or sports) towels. Very smooth and absorbent. I don't have the link to my particular one handy but they are easy to find if you know the search terms. Just check the dimensions before buying.

Mine is huuuge so I can flip all my hair over no problem, but it's very light. I didn't have any problem learning how to wear it, nor do I need anything special to put it on. I just wrap it around my head and then tuck it into its own base and voila. I usually wear mine for 20ish minutes.

lapushka
November 13th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Get a sport bath size microfiber towel, fold it in two lengthwise, then sew one end shut. Instant turbie. I clip it up with a claw clip (but you don't even have to do that). And it stays really well.

I have two terry cloth ones, and two microfiber ones. They are awesome. It's a little hack that's been on this forum for a while!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131097&highlight=turbie

MusicalSpoons
November 13th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Old cotton jersey material pyjama bottoms :grin: I put one leg inside the other so I have a double-layer tube. They're actually not long enough so I put my hair in a LWB held with an acrylic stick to start with and tie the material around my whole head, then after I've dried my body and dressed I take my hair out and put the lengths down the tube. I then adjust it so the ends aren't poking out (the top of the tube is just past my shoulders at the moment when I do that) and hold it in place with a clip at the top, then drape the leg over my shoulder so the weight doesn't pull it off my hair. Maybe pics would be best!

aenigmatica8
November 13th, 2019, 10:58 AM
When I outgrew my Aquis turban I bought a beach towel sized microfiber towel on Amazon. They're often marketed as travel (or sports) towels. Very smooth and absorbent. I don't have the link to my particular one handy but they are easy to find if you know the search terms. Just check the dimensions before buying.

Mine is huuuge so I can flip all my hair over no problem, but it's very light. I didn't have any problem learning how to wear it, nor do I need anything special to put it on. I just wrap it around my head and then tuck it into its own base and voila. I usually wear mine for 20ish minutes.

That sounds perfect! I’ll order one. Thanks! :)

aenigmatica8
November 13th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Get a sport bath size microfiber towel, fold it in two lengthwise, then sew one end shut. Instant turbie. I clip it up with a claw clip (but you don't even have to do that). And it stays really well.

I have two terry cloth ones, and two microfiber ones. They are awesome. It's a little hack that's been on this forum for a while!

Interesting idea! I’ll have to try this. Thanks!

aenigmatica8
November 13th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Old cotton jersey material pyjama bottoms :grin: I put one leg inside the other so I have a double-layer tube. They're actually not long enough so I put my hair in a LWB held with an acrylic stick to start with and tie the material around my whole head, then after I've dried my body and dressed I take my hair out and put the lengths down the tube. I then adjust it so the ends aren't poking out (the top of the tube is just past my shoulders at the moment when I do that) and hold it in place with a clip at the top, then drape the leg over my shoulder so the weight doesn't pull it off my hair. Maybe pics would be best!

That sounds ingenious! I have just the pajama bottoms to try this with! Might have to get a size small though to fit my head better. Thanks for sharing!

zanelle
November 13th, 2019, 11:07 AM

This sounds so nice! Really going to do this! Thank you for sharing.

doedeer
November 13th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Thank you for sharing that tip Lapushka!! I'm not very crafty though, does anyone know if there's a commercial version of this? Thank you!!

MusicalSpoons
November 13th, 2019, 12:00 PM
That sounds ingenious! I have just the pajama bottoms to try this with! Might have to get a size small though to fit my head better. Thanks for sharing!

Mine only stay on for that first bit because I put the bigger end of the tube (with the waistband) over my head and bun, then I gather the leg length, twist, and tie a knot with it and the waistband end. They certainly do not stay on with elastic :rollin: I literally wore the waistband out over maybe 10years, but the cotton is pretty much intact so I couldn't bear the thought of throwing them away. Happily hit on the idea for repurposing them, but the easist kind of repurposing with zero crafty skills involved!

lapushka
November 13th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Interesting idea! I’ll have to try this. Thanks!

You're welcome! :)

This sounds so nice! Really going to do this! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing that tip Lapushka!! I'm not very crafty though, does anyone know if there's a commercial version of this? Thank you!!

Nope, that is why we did it ourselves. There used to be someone on Etsy who made extra long turbie towels, but they're long gone. But you might check there!

doedeer
November 13th, 2019, 01:48 PM

Nope, that is why we did it ourselves. There used to be someone on Etsy who made extra long turbie towels, but they're long gone. But you might check there!

Thanks!! I'll see if my granny teaches me to use her sewing machine :)

aenigmatica8
November 13th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Mine only stay on for that first bit because I put the bigger end of the tube (with the waistband) over my head and bun, then I gather the leg length, twist, and tie a knot with it and the waistband end. They certainly do not stay on with elastic :rollin: I literally wore the waistband out over maybe 10years, but the cotton is pretty much intact so I couldn't bear the thought of throwing them away. Happily hit on the idea for repurposing them, but the easist kind of repurposing with zero crafty skills involved!

That’s very creative! Maybe one day you could do a video tutorial on this haha. :)

MusicalSpoons
November 13th, 2019, 06:58 PM
That’s very creative! Maybe one day you could do a video tutorial on this haha. :)

:lol: there's not much to it, I'll try to get pics because explaining it is more complicated than actually doing it!

SleepyTangles
November 19th, 2019, 01:41 AM
I was also wondering this since I saw an advertisement concerning a rapid dry turban called "5econds", which claims that it can dry your hair in just 5 seconds :P
I'm skeptical but... How nice would that be? *dreamy*

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 02:27 AM
I was also wondering this since I saw an advertisement concerning a rapid dry turban called "5econds", which claims that it can dry your hair in just 5 seconds :P
I'm skeptical but... How nice would that be? *dreamy*

I would love it if my hair would come out the towel dry. But I keep it on for 30-45 minutes and it comes out "just" damp enough to put my styling products in. LOL!

SleepyTangles
November 20th, 2019, 01:17 AM
Ahahah, my hair turban is the same ;)
I think I will mess around experimenting with new turbans. My old ones were very good but I've noticed that the fabric is starting to lose softness and density. If I come across any gem I will update the thread.

Siv
November 20th, 2019, 02:44 AM

This makes me want to experiment with a couple of old jersey maxi dresses that I was gonna donate, but maybe I can make them into cotton turbies

lapushka
November 20th, 2019, 12:56 PM
This makes me want to experiment with a couple of old jersey maxi dresses that I was gonna donate, but maybe I can make them into cotton turbies

Sure! Do it! It's wonderful to re-purpose things!

trolleypup
November 25th, 2019, 05:52 PM
I do a turban wrap-ish thing with an ancient bath sheet sized microfiber dog towel...gets my hair to just damp in 20 min or so. I presume you can get big microfiber towels these days that aren't labeled as dog towels. :misskim:

MusicalSpoons
November 25th, 2019, 06:53 PM

Oooh that would be cool!

I finally got round to taking pics of how I use the pyjama trousers and putting them in order with explanation https://imgur.com/a/ajqdrVM
It may warn you about adult content but I swear it's all completely innocent :rollin: the only reason I can think of is there's reference to (pyjama) bottoms and (scalp) cleavage :silly:

shelomit
November 25th, 2019, 10:23 PM
I finally got round to taking pics of how I use the pyjama trousers and putting them in order with explanation https://imgur.com/a/ajqdrVM

This method is so ingenious--thank you! My hair is currently just small enough to fit under a dollar-store microfiber turban in a bun, but I've never figured out how to keep my back dry once I let it down damp. Will have to see if I can pick up some old soft trousers at the thrift store or something. . .