PDA

View Full Version : Why is this?

newport
November 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
When my hair is wet- I have lots of natural wave. When my hair is dry- it goes straight?

purplebubba
November 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Do you do a lot of squeezing or other touching while it's wet?

Wet hair takes the shape of things it wraps around.

Just one possibility.

Missie
November 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I'm certainly no expert on this but have you tried untangling after a wash and then leave it to dry naturally? If I blow dry my hair it straightens it. If I untangle and then ignore it mine even forms a couple of ringlets by itself once its dried

Missie
November 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
just one more thought..
when I started to add 3 drops of camellia oil to my very damp hair, it increased the natural curl..
only 3 drops warmed in the palm of my hands and applied from ears down

Kirin
November 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I have the same problem, I air dry, and dont mess with it much other than a shake, wavy when wet/damp, staightened out when dry, go figure.

purplebubba
November 8th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Are you brushing or combing your hair while it's still wet or blowdrying?

fleurdelis
November 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I was wondering the same thing..even if I do not touch my hair when wet, they do loose much of curlines...

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I know mine goes more curly, spirally if I just wash and leave it alone, no patting it dry or combing, yet if I comb it waves like my siggi x

spidermom
November 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Moisture increases the amount of natural wave/curl in your hair. I once oiled my hair very heavily, then got it wet without washing it. It dried so curly that it looked like I had 3A hair. Too bad it was so oily!

SolSara
November 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
That's just how more straight hair can behave. I go from 3B or something to 2A when my hair dries naturally. With a lot of styling or leave-in, I sometime can have hair looking like 2B, but not curlier than that. Check out the thread where some members show their hair wet (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14721). Curlies can go the other way around, being straight when wet and the curls bouncing up as the hair dries. It's quite funny when you think about how different hair behaves.. :)

Honey39
November 10th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I scrunch my hair when it's wet - upside down and gently scrunch up each section of hair. Then I flip it back and let it dry on its own with absolutely no more touching! That really encourages the curl, and I can get madly curly hair doing that.

Katze
November 10th, 2008, 04:00 AM
my hair is the opposite, straighter when wet. I always thought the moisture pulls it down, whereas when it is dry it is free to do its own thing...

Curlsgirl
November 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Curlies can go the other way around, being straight when wet and the curls bouncing up as the hair dries.

Yeah this is how mine does, much straighter when wet and then it magically curls as it dries. I have heard a lot of straighter hairs say theirs does what you said too though without even toughing it or combing it. It is a bit of a mystery!

Teacherbear
November 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Hi Newport!

I brush my hair right after I wash it (I use a Denman brush which is like a 5-7 row comb - so it is ok to use on wet hair). I then let my hair airdry. I end up with these beautiful wave/curles (Ok, *I* think they are beautiful). If I brush my hair after it is dry, I end up with just waves.

I don't know if that is similar to what you are talking about, but in my little head that matches. :silly:

jivete
November 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Do you use cones? They make my hair straighter when dry.

~GypsyCurls~
November 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I think most people's hair texture changes as it gets wet. Mine looks straight when wet, then as it dries it looks kind of frizzy, and by the time it dries it's spiral curls.