PDA

View Full Version : Weird combo of hair types! Does anyone have the same thing?

dianabla
November 9th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Hi!

A newbie from Sweden here! I got quite stumped by looking at the hair types. I mostly have 1b hair but then there is sections with type 4 hair. Some sections are bigger and some times there are just coily hairs mixed with the rest of the hair. I finally got a handel on my frissyness with appelcidervinager and rice water so my straigth hair is like silk now. But ofcourse this has made my coily sections stand out even more. Once a hairstylist said that these sections were this way due to a iron diffency but I've had them my hole life. My mom remembers me having them as a baby. Although they seem more or less prominent during diffrent times of my life. Why? I dont even have a guess.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has the same "problem" or the same mix of hair types? Does anyone have any tips on how to treat my hair? Or does anyone have any theories on what's going on?

// Diana

Ligeia Noire
November 9th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Welcome, yes that is more common than people think, iron deficiency, that is a new one for me...
My hair is straight down to my waist and then probably a 2b and the ends a 2c, even my individual hairs are different textures too, they are mostly thin but some are wirey and coarse..

There is also the issue of hair not being all one texture due to lack of moisture, or combing or even the way you wear it, dyes, hair dryers, gels. I have days where my hair is completely straight from being bunned, or totally wurly if I let it air dry and do not touch it... do not worry about it too much.

Enjoy your stay here.

Laurab
November 9th, 2019, 09:40 PM
I think it's pretty common. I've got really straight hair on the whole, but I've had random curls pop up, especially after swimming.
Personally if I comb everything super straight while it's still damp things even themselves out. not perfectly, but I don't mind having a little variation in my hair.
It proves that it's really your hair, not extensions or a wig.

cjk
November 9th, 2019, 09:44 PM
I have hairs that are poker straight, going down the center of helical coils, terminating in barrel ringlets.

My hair isn't bipolar, it has literal multiple personalities.

Nature can be beautiful.

Natalina
November 9th, 2019, 11:57 PM
Until I joined LHC I thought it was strange too, but when I look around here I found out that it's quite common to have multiple hair types/textures on one head.

My hair is curly and very coarse on the top half of my head, whilst the bottom half is medium-fine and straight with wavy ends. When I did half-ups the difference is very obvious.

I joke sometimes that my hair reflects my sexuality. :p

TatsuOni
November 10th, 2019, 04:20 AM
Welcome! :) As other's have mentioned it's quite common. I think that a lot of people doesn't know this because heat styling, blow drying and lots of products are so common that few people actually see their "real" hair structure often. Things like dye and bleach can also alter your hair structure.

lapushka
November 10th, 2019, 04:32 AM
It's quite common to have multi-textured hair. Have you ever thought your hair might not be straight at all, but in the wavy spectrum?

You could post a hairtyping picture, and we could figure it out for you. Just wash, condition, and then get most the water out, put a towel on it, then when you let it down, DO NOT touch it and let it dry AS IS. Take a picture of the back of your head and post it (you will need an imagehosting site for this).

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :D

CuteCrow
November 10th, 2019, 05:34 AM
Two or more texture is common, I thinking having just one texture in your whole head is the rare thing actually. But every time I heard somebody say the have such a different textures it happen to be just hair that covers 3 "levels" of the wave pattern (all the 2's or 3's or a mix between 3's and 4's.
Maybe your hair is not as straight as it seems, and the coily sections aren't so. A lot of things can change the perceived texture of your hair like your hairstyles, heat styling, products, how often you wash, general hair condition. (I just realised Ligeia Noire said exactly this before me)
I second Lapushka's idea. I think a hair typing picture would help you (and us :) ) to understand your texture better.

dianabla
November 12th, 2019, 04:02 AM
Thank you for all the replies!

I guess itís more common than I thought. I like the comment about you hair having multiple personalities.

I do have some wavy hair as well so Iíve thought about trying the curly girl method but from what I gathered I think I already do. Except for brushing after the hair is dry but if I donít my hair makes itís own dreads.

Iíll try to post a hair typing pic below.

https://imgur.com/gallery/zbLTIAF

dianabla
November 12th, 2019, 04:05 AM
https://i.imgur.com/HUIimMh.jpg

lapushka
November 12th, 2019, 05:34 AM
That looks like 1c/2a to me, more like 2a actually because I see nice individual strands. It's got a little bit of poof, so I suspect you can spruce up the waves *quite* a bit if you for instance follow a regimen of not brushing dry and only combing/brushing in the wash when conditioner is in the hair. The Curly Girl method is a great method to follow if you want to enhance the wavy texture.

Very nice!

dianabla
November 15th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Thank you Lapushka!

Yes its quite poofy! Usually I put some argan oil in it and then put in a bun or braid for a couple of hours and it’s smoothes it’s self out. It will be hard not brushing when dry but it could be a fun experiment.

MusicalSpoons
November 15th, 2019, 03:32 PM
I'm going to predict that if you wanted to tweak to a more moisturising routine (more conditioner e.g. conditioning twice, & more locking in moisture) you'll find you have much more wavy hair in a year or two, even untouched in a hairtyping picture. That kind of puffiness usually indicates hidden texture waiting to come out with more moisture ;)

Also, welcome! :)

lapushka
November 15th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I'm going to predict that if you wanted to tweak to a more moisturising routine (more conditioner e.g. conditioning twice, & more locking in moisture) you'll find you have much more wavy hair in a year or two, even untouched in a hairtyping picture. That kind of puffiness usually indicates hidden texture waiting to come out with more moisture ;)

Also, welcome! :)

Yes that's what I thought too. :) There's promise in there!

CuteCrow
November 15th, 2019, 04:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HUIimMh.jpg

Oh, by your initial description of your hair I was expecting something more like transitioning hair :lol:
It seems to me like you have coarse wavy hair, listen to the moisture advise, I would try applying some curling cream or aloe vera gel to encourage the curl. Also it seems like you have your hair dyed and that can change the texture of your hair, that could be also why it seems like your roots are "acting up" as different parts of your hair have different needs.

dianabla
November 19th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Moisture is my big mission for my hair and have been for a few years now. I use a sulphatefree schampoo then I use a deep conditioning mask for hydration that does not contain silicones, leave that for at least 10min. Then to finish i use a conditioner without silicones and leave that in for a while. After rinsing that out I do an ACV rinse. Between showers i moisturise with pure arganoil. I usualy pre-poo with jojobaoil or olaplex.

Yes I do dye my hair but my hair has been this texture all my life. My mom didn't want to cut my hair just because the hairtexture when I was a toddler.

I dont really like products in my hair, so i dont really want to start using gel. But i will gladly take any advice for adding moisture. :)

shelomit
November 19th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Dianabla, your hair texture looks very similar to mine when it's at its longest/heaviest. (I don't personally find that I have many sections of differently textured hair, but rather that strands of differing lengths differ in amount of curl.) I haven't tried apple cider vinegar rinses, so if it has worked so well for your hair, I will give it a shot!

MusicalSpoons
November 19th, 2019, 05:09 PM
Moisture is my big mission for my hair and have been for a few years now. I use a sulphatefree schampoo then I use a deep conditioning mask for hydration that does not contain silicones, leave that for at least 10min. Then to finish i use a conditioner without silicones and leave that in for a while. After rinsing that out I do an ACV rinse. Between showers i moisturise with pure arganoil. I usualy pre-poo with jojobaoil or olaplex.

Yes I do dye my hair but my hair has been this texture all my life. My mom didn't want to cut my hair just because the hairtexture when I was a toddler.

I dont really like products in my hair, so i dont really want to start using gel. But i will gladly take any advice for adding moisture. :)

Oh I see, I'm sorry, I was going by your recent join date. There are a couple of areas you could probably tweak, but overall yes you do have a rather moisturising routine already!

How often do you wash? And do you alternate pre-pooing with oil and Olaplex? (I'm sure you know Olaplex isn't moisturising, but it is of course good for dyed/bleached hair.) Have you found the jojoba oil made a noticable difference? What works for some hair doesn't always work for others, which is why I ask, but of course I'm aware you may have tried various oils and had the best result with that :)

Do you do any other deep conditioning? Again, it's not guaranteed to make a difference but some people find that leaving on a rich conditioner for an hour or more makes a difference; there's also a deep conditioning treatment known as SMT which people say works wonders, and doesn't need to be done every wash of course. There is a huge thread about it, but the basic recipe is in the first post: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Many of us have found the Rinse-out Oil method to be miraculous at retaining moisture between washes; some use it on the very ends and othrs use it for half their lengths or even from their ears down - different hair needs different things. But if you're interested, the link is in lapushka's signature or we can describe the basic method if the thread is a bit overwhelming :)

EDIT: Your hemline is awesome, by the way!

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Many of us have found the Rinse-out Oil method to be miraculous at retaining moisture between washes; some use it on the very ends and othrs use it for half their lengths or even from their ears down - different hair needs different things. But if you're interested, the link is in lapushka's signature or we can describe the basic method if the thread is a bit overwhelming :)

Yes we can always explain, in a nutshell, should you be interested or if the thread is a little too confusing or overwhelming for you. Also, just remember less is more, just a couple drops of oil (5 to 10) is more than enough for the lengths of the hair. You typically apply this after shampoo and before conditioner, but have a look see in the thread (rinse-out oil, link is in my signature).

dianabla
November 21st, 2019, 12:24 PM
Lch

Shelomit I think acv rinse does a lot for my hair, for example it is much easier to comb or brush. I use 1 dl of acv (0,5 cups) and then 6-8 dl of water (2-3 cups) and some lavender oil to mask the smell😊 I hope it works for you.

Musicalspoons donít worry about it. 🙂 Iím a new member but I been interested in hair for a long time. Not easy for you to know. But Iím truly grateful for all of your tips!

I wash my hair once a week, sometimes twice. And yes I alternate, depending on what my hair needs. I donít know if jojoba is the best for my hair. Havenít tried that many different once. Coconut doesnít work at all. I like castor oil but it is a little thick, been thinking about mixing it with another oil.

I will look in too the rinse out oil and try to find some time to leave my conditioner in for longer. And thank you for the compliment! 🙂

Lapushka
I did try not brushing this time after the shower and I also tried plopping. A lot of curls came up, unfortunately I had to go to work before it was completely dry so now it looks a little frizzy. But I am going to try again!

I guess my ďweirdĒ sections are hard to spot in that pic. They are like ďspotsĒ on my scalp that just grow different hair. Iíll post a close up here.

https://i.imgur.com/FefVbtP.jpg

November 21st, 2019, 12:31 PM
Okay... Your hair def doesn't look straight, more like wavy.

shelomit
November 21st, 2019, 12:40 PM
Lch

Shelomit I think acv rinse does a lot for my hair, for example it is much easier to comb or brush. I use 1 dl of acv (0,5 cups) and then 6-8 dl of water (2-3 cups) and some lavender oil to mask the smell😊 I hope it works for you

https://i.imgur.com/FefVbtP.jpg

That closeup photo looks veeeeeery familiar to me, lol! In my experience those sections are also much coarser than my overall fine-to-medium hair. I'll be sure to try the rinse!

MusicalSpoons
November 21st, 2019, 04:29 PM
Oh! Those different hairs aren't type 4 :p but are they coarser than the others, a bit wiry, and usually kinky/wavy/curly? If so, that's *totally* normal and many of us have them. I have a couple of spots on my scalp too that produce exclusively those hairs, as well as random ones throughout the rest of my hair. Mine are usually darker than the rest too.

Jojoba oil is very much like sebum, and the chemical composition is such that (I think) about half may penetrate the hair and about half coats the hair; some people swear by it and for others it doesn't do much. Coconut oil seems to be the Marmite of the oil world - it's a miracle product for some but for others it's the worst oil they could choose. You could try sweet almond (or just 'almond' - bitter almond oil is very clearly labelled if it's sold at all), sunflower, olive, any plant oil really but those are the cheaper ones I can think of off the top of my head, and they'd be good for mixing with castor oil too. You could even just have a look for whatever's cheap, maybe in the cooking aisle of the supermarket, and try whatever you want - the great thing with trying cooking oils is that if your hair really doesn't like it you can still use it up anyway ;)

lapushka
November 22nd, 2019, 05:40 PM
Oh! Those different hairs aren't type 4 :p but are they coarser than the others, a bit wiry, and usually kinky/wavy/curly? If so, that's *totally* normal and many of us have them. I have a couple of spots on my scalp too that produce exclusively those hairs, as well as random ones throughout the rest of my hair. Mine are usually darker than the rest too.

^^Totally agree; I have them too. I have a spot on the back of my head that grows a tiny mole and right next to it is a coarse, wiry, deep black 4c hair. No joke!

dianabla
November 26th, 2019, 11:02 AM
How funny that you have them too. I have several sections, some pretty big. But my camera and my hair did not want me to show any of them. :rolleyes:

Thank you Musicalspoons for the help. I do have some almond oil at home that I use as babyoil for my little girl, I will try it next time. I tried CO-wash last time and plopping, but I think I over moisturized because it never looked clean after and the curls were to heavy. But I will keep trying! I did get a compliment om my curls so that was fun.

I'm so glad I joined so that I can get new ideas and tips for my hair care. I love experimenting!

dianabla
November 27th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Third wash using the curly girl method. Definitely need a gel but itís crazy how curly it is now!
https://i.imgur.com/s2UGi86.jpg

shelomit
November 27th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Dramatic change, wow!

MusicalSpoons
November 27th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Wowsers! :agape: :thud: I mean, I'd have guessed your potential hairtype was around 2b, and I'm not saying that's a hairtyping pic there (depends if you styled it, I'm assuming you did?) but if that's after only the *third* CG wash, you may well end up with naturally 2c or even more texture even *without* styling, given time. What an amazing transformation! :crush:

Arciela
November 28th, 2019, 03:26 AM
That is a really dramatic change! So pretty :) Makes me want to go back to full CG again to see if it helps my wurly hair :flower:

lapushka
November 28th, 2019, 06:48 AM
Third wash using the curly girl method. Definitely need a gel but it’s crazy how curly it is now!
https://i.imgur.com/s2UGi86.jpg

That's awesome.

I usually use either a leave-in + gel + a serum or oil. Or a curling cream + gel + a serum or oil. I mostly use a serum. I don't use a lot of product per layer, just about 2 dollops (fingertip's worth when you dig in), so about 2 coin sizes flattened.

Do beware not to use more gel than cream/leave-in, because otherwise it can get crunchy, if that's not what you're going for.

Also, mix the leave-in + gel or cream + gel in the palm of your hand first. If it curdles, it's going to flake in your hair! So do that test before you put it all in your hair, because you can go re-wash if you do that!

Hedwig
November 28th, 2019, 12:33 PM
I have all kinds of textures on my head - really fine, straight hairs, very thick, straight hairs, really thick and coarse/coily hairs, you name it, I've got it! :D My doctor recently told me that my iron levels are perfectly fine, so I don't think that there's any connection between different hair structures/types and iron levels.

dianabla
November 29th, 2019, 03:27 AM
In that picture I only used a leave in conditioner and argan oil. Plopped with a t-shirt for two hours then let it air dry. But then I went to bed slept in a silkcap and in the morning it was a big heap of frizz. I didnít have any gel at home but have ordered one now and hope that helps with the hold.

Itís so crazy. My dad had 1c hair as a young man but as he got older he got almost type 3 hair. I wonder if it was that he unintentionally did the CG method because of laziness. :D His hair also turned from dark blond to black naturally. My hair has also gotten darker with age so maybe itís getting more curly as well.

Thank you lapushka! I will definitely try that before I use any new products.

MissMarmiladka
November 29th, 2019, 05:49 AM
Haha yes I do have this as well. My hair overall is 1B but sometimes I find 4B hairs wich is so strange haha