PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for a protective hairstyles routine

Vulgaris
November 9th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Hey peeps! :)

I never heard about protective hairstyles until last summer and it's all new to me. A year ago my go-to hairstyles were wearing hair down or in a ponytail and at home and sleeping I keep it in a high ponytail were I left the last pull-through half away (I don't know what it's called, for me it's a "man bun" because it's so easy and simple :D). The "man bun" was quite protective when my hair was collar bone length but nowadays my APL hair gets in the way when I wear it. Luckily I learned to do other hairstyles such as french and dutch braid(s) and I can make a decent bun when I have a good hair day and oily hair.

Now I feel a little bit of torn. I've heard a bun is the best protective style you can do. BUT I also know hair ties are bad for your hair and hair sticks and forks are your best friends. So here is my problem:

I can do a secure cinnamon bun when I use phone cord hair ties. It's the only way I feel comfortable when I go outside the house
My bun only lasts when it's dirty enough (3-4 days after wash)
It's getting chilly in my homeland so I need to wear beanie very often and my best beanies (the ones that keep my ears protected from the wind when I'm biking which is five days a week) don't have the room for the bun

I used to stretch my washes once a week instead two times a week. However, now that winter is coming I fear it gives me a dandruff :doh:(or makes it worse I don't know). So that reason I feel better washing my hair twice a week. Since I do that this gives me only one day a week to do a "perfect" protective style - the bun (did I mentioned it needs to be tied with hair tie instead of hair stick?).

What I've done so far, I favor a simple English braid (instead wearing my hair down like a used to few months ago) when it's my first and second day after hair wash. On the third (and dirt :p) day I do double French or Dutch braids if I got the time and energy. On the fourth day I wear a bun with a phone cord hair tie.

Is this routine protective enough or should I modify it? All help and tips are highly appreciated! :flower:

Siv
November 9th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Sounds good tbh. Personally I don't really get mechanical damage from hair ties - but I know it's a common problem. All I mean is, your milage may vary: using hair ties, as long as they have no metal parts, may work just fine for you.

As for the hat problem: either do a braid and use your beanie, or do a higher bun and wear a headband.

If you're interested in hair sticks, there are tutorials on YouTube for doing stick updos with shorter hair like APL :)

cjk
November 9th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Now that my sides are finally long enough to get caught in the braid, and can remain kinda' protected, I've been keeping mine in double braids much of the time. The additional length is starting to make sectioning more difficult for me, as is evidenced in these photos. Not my best work. But it's adequate.

I use infant-sized hair ties to terminate the braids. UT Longhorns orange, today.

https://i.imgur.com/aJMJSBE.png

https://i.imgur.com/pNyL6JZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/UDaEtna.png

Vulgaris
November 10th, 2019, 03:37 AM
Sounds good tbh. Personally I don't really get mechanical damage from hair ties - but I know it's a common problem. All I mean is, your milage may vary: using hair ties, as long as they have no metal parts, may work just fine for you.

As for the hat problem: either do a braid and use your beanie, or do a higher bun and wear a headband.

If you're interested in hair sticks, there are tutorials on YouTube for doing stick updos with shorter hair like APL :)

I haven't noticed mechanical damage either. I use phone cord hair ties and also hair ties made of towel cloth material (and sometimes scrunchies - they don't hold very well on my hair). When I braid my hair I wear most of the times the towel cloth ties. I hope my hair doesn't mind.

I used a headband this fall but I think when it's getting colder I need to cover my whole head. I get chilly so easily (I should've never been born in this cold country :lol:). So braid and beanie it is. :D

I watched a several hair tutorials on YouTube that I found from here in LHC. They are great but I'm still learning to do them. One day my hair stick bun holds pretty well and one day it gets easily loose and I have to redo it all the time. I guess it acts out because my hair is a little slippery. I also like to use my dirt hair day for double French braids because I really like the way they look on me. :D Those I can wear two days in a row if I want to so it's great low manipulation, too. I can't sleep a hair stick in my head.

Siv
November 10th, 2019, 03:25 PM
I use infant-sized hair ties to terminate the braids. UT Longhorns orange, today.

Yay, hook 'em horns! :rockerdud

I haven't noticed mechanical damage either. I use phone cord hair ties and also hair ties made of towel cloth material (and sometimes scrunchies - they don't hold very well on my hair). When I braid my hair I wear most of the times the towel cloth ties. I hope my hair doesn't mind.

I used a headband this fall but I think when it's getting colder I need to cover my whole head. I get chilly so easily (I should've never been born in this cold country :lol:). So braid and beanie it is. :D

I watched a several hair tutorials on YouTube that I found from here in LHC. They are great but I'm still learning to do them. One day my hair stick bun holds pretty well and one day it gets easily loose and I have to redo it all the time. I guess it acts out because my hair is a little slippery. I also like to use my dirt hair day for double French braids because I really like the way they look on me. :D Those I can wear two days in a row if I want to so it's great low manipulation, too. I can't sleep a hair stick in my head.

I have a few (!) jackets/coats with big hoods so that I can wear them up and still fit a bun under them during winter... lol! I personally prefer bun, headband and hood. I've slippery hair and get massive braid shred, and buns are more protective than braids... but I definitely do braid+beanie too! (+braid under coat+hood up+massive scarf wrapped around my face)

lapushka
November 10th, 2019, 03:58 PM
I would get yourself some claw clips, much "nicer" on the hair than elastics and those elastic-buns (don't do those!). I would try wearing a peacock twist with a claw clip, it's a very easy style to do, you can do it with a claw, or with a flexi-8 or regular barrette and it doesn't pull at the hair at all.

I wore a peacock twist from APL all the way to waist/hip, with a claw clip.

Vulgaris
November 11th, 2019, 08:29 AM
Now that my sides are finally long enough to get caught in the braid, and can remain kinda' protected, I've been keeping mine in double braids much of the time. The additional length is starting to make sectioning more difficult for me, as is evidenced in these photos. Not my best work. But it's adequate.

I use infant-sized hair ties, too when I wear double braids. :) I feel double braids at this length are semi-protective.

Vulgaris
November 12th, 2019, 05:59 AM
Yay, hook 'em horns! :rockerdud

I have a few (!) jackets/coats with big hoods so that I can wear them up and still fit a bun under them during winter... lol! I personally prefer bun, headband and hood. I've slippery hair and get massive braid shred, and buns are more protective than braids... but I definitely do braid+beanie too! (+braid under coat+hood up+massive scarf wrapped around my face)

I haven't find a jacket with a hood that can actually stay on my head. If I'm riding a bike it's really difficult to make the hood stay on it's place because the wind. So that leaves me beanies. Also I find beanies warmer than hood + headband (of course this depends what kind of hood you have, mines are pretty thin.)

Siv
November 12th, 2019, 06:21 AM
I haven't find a jacket with a hood that can actually stay on my head. If I'm riding a bike it's really difficult to make the hood stay on it's place because the wind. So that leaves me beanies. Also I find beanies warmer than hood + headband (of course this depends what kind of hood you have, mines are pretty thin.)

I've a fleece coat, two puffer jackets, and a wool coat all with big hoods in the same material, so they're quite toasty. I have a couple without hoods and then I use infinity scarfs and pull them over my head, but this isn't as warm. When it's -30*C and below out I usually do braid+hat+scarf+puffer jacket hood :laugh: But it's quite protective for the hair actually! The cold usually dries my hair out but when I keep it under the coat it stays warmer.

I just remembered I have a yearly "tradition" over on my private instagram of taking a selfie during the coldest period of the winter... It's always a laugh! (Last year I saw someone bike with ski-goggles...)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39039&d=1573564534

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39040&d=1573564552

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39038&d=1573564517

Arciela
November 12th, 2019, 09:16 AM
I would get yourself some claw clips, much "nicer" on the hair than elastics and those elastic-buns (don't do those!). I would try wearing a peacock twist with a claw clip, it's a very easy style to do, you can do it with a claw, or with a flexi-8 or regular barrette and it doesn't pull at the hair at all.

Seconding this :) I've been doing this for a while too! Normally I do LWB but need to wait until my hair is near waist. Peacock twist is great.

Vulgaris
November 13th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Seconding this :) I've been doing this for a while too! Normally I do LWB but need to wait until my hair is near waist. Peacock twist is great.

Claw clips really hurt my scalp. I never got used to them. I also worry I break them. With a hair tie I don't have to worry. A hair tie is easier to carry around, too so that's a big plus. When I put my hair up, I like that I can to something active or lean my hair against the car seat/sofa/floor but if wear a claw clip I have to be careful not to break it.

Vulgaris
November 13th, 2019, 06:54 AM
I've a fleece coat, two puffer jackets, and a wool coat all with big hoods in the same material, so they're quite toasty. I have a couple without hoods and then I use infinity scarfs and pull them over my head, but this isn't as warm. When it's -30*C and below out I usually do braid+hat+scarf+puffer jacket hood :laugh: But it's quite protective for the hair actually! The cold usually dries my hair out but when I keep it under the coat it stays warmer.

I just remembered I have a yearly "tradition" over on my private instagram of taking a selfie during the coldest period of the winter... It's always a laugh! (Last year I saw someone bike with ski-goggles...)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39039&d=1573564534

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39040&d=1573564552

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39038&d=1573564517

Wow, those hoods are warm! :grin:

aenigmatica8
November 13th, 2019, 07:04 AM
Sometimes I can get away with making my hair stick bun very low and put hats on a little lower on my forehead and higher in the back. I’m not sure how long your hair is, but a low ponytail might be fine if you have straight hair that’s not coming down onto your back. It’s really all about what things it may rub against and how much tangling it will do. Good luck!

Vulgaris
November 13th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Sometimes I can get away with making my hair stick bun very low and put hats on a little lower on my forehead and higher in the back. I’m not sure how long your hair is, but a low ponytail might be fine if you have straight hair that’s not coming down onto your back. It’s really all about what things it may rub against and how much tangling it will do. Good luck!

My hair is APL. Do you mean the bun would be left outside of the hat? I don't like low buns, it feels uncomfortable when there's something right against my neck. I don't have any problems with tangles when I have my hair on braids. And I think the rubbing is minimal since my hair isn't that long.

CopperButterfly
November 17th, 2019, 10:46 PM
when I was APL I would do cinnabun with several little claw clips or spin pins. I've never liked buns with elastics. Little claw clips distribute the weight better than using a single claw clip, and I didn't have trouble with pulling. They also don't stick out much or get in the way.

Braids are probably your best bet for under your hats.

Vulgaris
December 16th, 2019, 12:06 PM
when I was APL I would do cinnabun with several little claw clips or spin pins. I've never liked buns with elastics. Little claw clips distribute the weight better than using a single claw clip, and I didn't have trouble with pulling. They also don't stick out much or get in the way.

Braids are probably your best bet for under your hats.

I totally missed this! I guess I could try little claw clips if I could find some. :) But when I need a beanie, I'll do a braid. Now the weather has been pretty ok so I've got away with a head band. I just hope bun with a elastic is better than no bun at all...

Groovy Granny
December 16th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Scrunchies would be even better....and I love claw clip buns too :)

Zesty
December 16th, 2019, 12:34 PM
I totally missed this! I guess I could try little claw clips if I could find some. :) But when I need a beanie, I'll do a braid. Now the weather has been pretty ok so I've got away with a head band. I just hope bun with a elastic is better than no bun at all...

In my experience (and hearing from others) most buns secured with an elastic are not hair-friendly. The typical way people do them can wear away at your ends like none other. A scrunchie might be okay, like GG said. Claw clips are user-friendly and worlds better for buns than an elastic IMO.

Vulgaris
December 17th, 2019, 12:29 PM
In my experience (and hearing from others) most buns secured with an elastic are not hair-friendly. The typical way people do them can wear away at your ends like none other. A scrunchie might be okay, like GG said. Claw clips are user-friendly and worlds better for buns than an elastic IMO.

After this comment I started to fear I'll never have a long hair (for me long is TBL). :-( I use scrunchies but if I want a secure bun I need to make a ponytail before I do a bun and then I put the scrunchie to hold my bun. My hair tie is a phone cord tie or a metal-free elastic when I do the ponytail.

Zesty
December 17th, 2019, 12:40 PM
After this comment I started to fear I'll never have a long hair (for me long is TBL). :-( I use scrunchies but if I want a secure bun I need to make a ponytail before I do a bun and then I put the scrunchie to hold my bun. My hair tie is a phone cord tie or a metal-free elastic when I do the ponytail.

Oh don't despair, that wasn't my intention! That doesn't sound too damaging if you're careful with the ponytail base. I was just afraid you were mashing everything up and then wrapping an elastic around your ends like I see all the time. A scrunchie is much safer.

It wouldn't hurt to try new ways to wear your hair up, but I think tailbone is perfectly possible without too much effort.

Groovy Granny
December 17th, 2019, 12:48 PM

Oh that's fine IMHO...I actually do the same at times and got my fine/wispy silver to TBL....you'll get there too :thumbsup:

Never fear...HAPPY GROWING....enjoy the JOURNEY...bling it up at every stage and try new styles :cheer:

Vulgaris
January 1st, 2020, 02:12 PM
Oh don't despair, that wasn't my intention! That doesn't sound too damaging if you're careful with the ponytail base. I was just afraid you were mashing everything up and then wrapping an elastic around your ends like I see all the time. A scrunchie is much safer.

It wouldn't hurt to try new ways to wear your hair up, but I think tailbone is perfectly possible without too much effort.

Oh, I see what kind of elastic bun you mean. More like a messy bun, right? No, I don't do those. Mine is a neat cinnamon bun. I understand why messy buns can be bad for your ends.

I actually got a new hair clip from my mum for christmas present so now I can do comfortably a French twist (the clip is quite flat so it's much nicer than the typical clip claws I saw in the stores). At the moment I'm wearing my hair up with a stick (a pencil bun). I try to use more hair stick but it isn't stable enough if I want to go outside the house. I hope it get's easier as my hair grows longer.

Oh that's fine IMHO...I actually do the same at times and got my fine/wispy silver to TBL....you'll get there too :thumbsup:

Never fear...HAPPY GROWING....enjoy the JOURNEY...bling it up at every stage and try new styles :cheer:

Thank you both for your input! :)

Vulgaris
January 1st, 2020, 02:13 PM

Oh, I see what kind of elastic bun you mean. More like a messy bun, right? No, I don't do those. Mine is a neat cinnamon bun. I understand why messy buns can be bad for your ends.

I actually got a new hair clip from my mum for christmas present so now I can do comfortably a French twist (the clip is quite flat so it's much nicer than the typical clip claws I saw in the stores). At the moment I'm wearing my hair up with a stick (a pencil bun). I try to use more hair stick but it isn't stable enough if I want to go outside the house. I hope it get's easier as my hair grows longer.

Thank you both for your input! :)