PDA

View Full Version : New here! Protein damage, sticky & oh so dry! Please help!

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 12:31 AM
Hi!

I’m new to this board, to post anyway, I’ve been reading posts for ages! I love that there is a community for long hairers!

I think I’ve read all the info on protein damage, but I’m hoping someone can give me something I’ve missed, or some tips as I’m starting to panic!

I have waist length, ginger hair and it’s always been in pretty good condition, I’ve never had a reaction to anything. I was using Nexxus range (I’m in the UK) and then stupidly swapped to Mane & Tail deep conditioning. This made my hair feel a bit weird, kind of like a barbie doll when you washed their hair. So I swapped to Maria Nila range from the salon and my hair got even worse! From root to tip it was stiff, crackly and felt nothing like my hair! Loads has fallen out, loads broken off (I have a lot of hair but still!) and my waves completely dropped out when it dried.

I did loads of googling (how I found you guys!) and got rid of all my products that contained protein (almost all of them, and swapped to L’Oreal Botanicals range for dry hair (the orange/brown one). I’ve been using it for a week and a bit and my hair still feels strange when it’s wet. Kind of squeaky, kind of matted but separated. It dries better but it’s SO dry. It’s like none of the conditioner is getting into my hair and I’m using the deep conditioner every wash.

I drink loads of water, take fish oils, eat my good fats so I’m really worried I’m doing something wrong. I’ve started added some oil, the Aussie range, when it’s wet and again the next day when it’s dry and it’s helping it feel less dry but is that just pretend?

Any advice would be amazing! Thank you! X

The-Young-Maid
November 8th, 2019, 01:03 AM
I think you just need to go back to using Nexxus. Mane n Tail was definitely too much protein(I can't use the conditioner or my hair gets totally matted). But all this product swapping isn't helping. They're probably building up on each other which is why your hair still feels weird. Both the oils and deep conditioners are likely causing buildup on top of the protein overload.

I suggest using a clarifying shampoo a couple times or until your hair feels more... manageable. Then go back to just Nexxus. No new oils or deep conditioners until your hair feels normal again.

Also, welcome to the forum! Hope this helps:wink:

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 01:54 AM
Hi,

Thanks! I did go back to Nexxus but it didn’t help at all, and from the ingredients list it seems to have a lot of protein in it? I thought it would be best to get rid of the protein?

X

Lady Stardust
November 8th, 2019, 03:13 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum! Waist length ginger hair sounds beautiful :) I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve been having though.

I’m in the UK too. Do you have hard water where you are? I wonder whether there is mineral build up, in which case a chelating shampoo would help. They’re often called sun and swim shampoos. I used the Aveda one in the past and found that it wasn’t too harsh, but I bought it years ago and I don’t know if the new formula is the same. I think there’s a Tresemme one? I’ve read good things about the Bumble & Bumble Sunday shampoo too.

It’s worth seeking out a protein free conditioner, by the sound of it. I use Noughty Wave Hello conditioner and add a drop of oil and a blob of aloe vera gel. A heat cap really helps the conditioner to take effect.

There are other things you can do as well, such as an oil rinse or pre-wash oiling, but it’s best to try one thing at a time so you know what is working.

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 03:55 AM
Hi,

What’s a chelating shampoo?

I’ve lived in the same area for over 10 years so although I did consider the water, I discarded it because it just sort of came from nowhere so I assumed it was more the products than anything else.

The L’Oreal Botanicals range is protein free, I hope, I have the conditioner and the mask and neither seem to be giving me much moisture back into my hair at the moment. It is getting some waves back, but it still doesn’t feel like my hair if that makes sense.

When you say you add a dollop of oil, what do you mean? What kind of oil? X

Lady Stardust
November 8th, 2019, 04:39 AM
A chelating shampoo removes mineral build up. It’s worth a try if you live in a hard water area, even if nothing about the water has changed. It helps to “reset” your hair.

If you want to try an oil rinse (known as ROO here) have a look at this thread which will give lots of information about which oils people are using
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191

I use a drop of oil, not a dollop :) (A blob of aloe vera gel though...please excuse the technical terms!)

I use avocado oil or jojoba oil when I do an oil rinse, or when I add it to conditioner. You could just try a couple of drops of something that you have at home already, like sunflower oil or olive oil. I would stay away from coconut oil at the moment because that can make hair feel crunchy (for some people, but as far as I remember it’s more likely to make your hair feel crunchy if it’s sensitive to protein).

Sarahlabyrinth
November 8th, 2019, 04:47 AM
You have been given good advice here so I'll just say welcome to the forum! :D :waving:

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 04:53 AM
Ha! Sorry! I don’t know where I saw dollop! I have olive oil, but I could get some avocado oil too. And just add it to my normal conditioner?

Thank you so much for all your help! I love this site! X

MusicalSpoons
November 8th, 2019, 07:25 AM
Afaik Mane and Tail also contains silicones in the shampoo, which is not necessary for most people with virgin hair. What shampoo are you using at the moment?

The Garnier Fructis hair food masks are protein-free and apparently pretty conditioning. How long do you leave conditioner on? How long do you leave a hair mask on? If you're needing moisture back, the longer the better - not just a few minutes or half an hour, but you can even leave things on for an hour or more.

Once you've found some products your hair likes, you could also start double conditioning, CWC or WCC. [I CWC, with the first C at least an hour before I get in the shower, though it usually ends up more like 4-6 hours before getting in the shower. My hair loves it :D But that's just illustrative, to show that leaving things on for so long can be fine. What actually works for you and your hair may very well be different.]

lapushka
November 8th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Are you sulfate-mild or sulfate-free? It might just be build-up.

The advice is great. Either chelate or clarify wash your hair; this means a harsh sulfate shampoo. And massage it through the scalp and also lengths well (yes put shampoo on the length for this). Then give your hair a nice deep conditioning.

See what that does.

And welcome to the forum.

Lady Stardust
November 8th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Ha! Sorry! I don’t know where I saw dollop! I have olive oil, but I could get some avocado oil too. And just add it to my normal conditioner?

Thank you so much for all your help! I love this site! X

I only bought avocado oil because it is supposed to be suitable for hair that gets build up easily, but actually I don’t know how much difference that makes. I’m not sure whether I’ll buy more after I use mine up, or go onto something else.

Yes you can just add a drop to your conditioner, if you’re doing a long conditioning session. The oil rinse/ROO method is probably a good place to start though. Shampoo and rinse, then add a few drops of oil to the ends/lengths (not near your roots), add conditioner, leave it on for however long, and rinse it out. Somehow this method stops the oil from building up too much or attracting bits of lint. It makes my hair feel softer and it seems to keep it more moisturised.

The advice everyone has given, to remove build up, and double condition, will help a great deal, I’m sure. You might not even need to add oil.

MoonRabbit
November 8th, 2019, 08:23 AM
My hair had recently begun to reject protein. Totally sucks to deal with. I found a great protein free deep conditioner that really helped put my hair back to normal. If you're interested in giving it a look over.

Mielle Organics
https://mielleorganics.com/products/protein-free-hydrating-conditioner-w-mongongo-oil?nosto=frontpage-nosto-1

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 08:53 AM
Sarah - Your hair is AMAZING!!

@MusicalSpoons - I'm using the matching shampoo, L'Oreal Botanicals the Argan and Safflower range, is that ok to use? I can't get over how much the Mane & Tail affected my hair, I've used the normal range before, stupidly I assumed the deep conditioning would be better!

I have heard about the Garnier hair food masks, the banana one I've read about, but then if you read too many things (damn google!) you come across people saying it dried their hair out, and of course, one negative post....! I tend to leave the conditioner on for around 15-20 mins, so maybe I need to do it for longer, do you still wash it first then put the conditioner on and leave it?

@Lapushka - thank you! I'm so scared to clarify as my hair is really broken and dry, I'm worried that will cause more damage.

@Lady Stardust - I will try that method today, thank you so much.

@MoonRabbit - thank you, I'm UK based and want to try things that I can get my hands on fairly fast.

Thank you for all your advice, please feel free to keep it coming! Do you think, eventually, the protein will leave my hair and it'll start to come back to life? I want to avoid getting it cut, because I have broken bits that are SO short, nape of the neck, and a few sticky up bits around the roots, but I've definitely lost a lot of hair from whatever the hell happened. So, the more I can keep hold of, the better! I even bought a silk pillowcase!

xx

MoonRabbit
November 8th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Thank you for all your advice, please feel free to keep it coming! Do you think, eventually, the protein will leave my hair and it'll start to come back to life? I want to avoid getting it cut, because I have broken bits that are SO short, nape of the neck, and a few sticky up bits around the roots, but I've definitely lost a lot of hair from whatever the hell happened. So, the more I can keep hold of, the better! I even bought a silk pillowcase!

xx

Hair needs a balance of protein and moisture. If you are in protein overload all you have to do is moisturize moisturize moisturize. It may take a few weeks of deep treatments but you will certainly see results.

TatsuOni
November 8th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Welcome! :) You've already been given good advice :)

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 09:52 AM
I realised, as soon as water hits my hair it changes texture. Between wetting my hair and applying conditioner it’s so matted, rough and feels awful, is that because of the protein damage or something else? It feels completely stripped of any kind of moisture.

TatsuOni
November 8th, 2019, 09:58 AM
I realised, as soon as water hits my hair it changes texture. Between wetting my hair and applying conditioner it’s so matted, rough and feels awful, is that because of the protein damage or something else? It feels completely stripped of any kind of moisture.

My hair feels quite dry too when I wet it, if I don't use a deep conditioner or such before. It tangles easy too, if I do too much with it before applying conditioner. (I don't use shampoo). So it doesn't have to be anything wrong. Is your always like that or is it a recent thing?

Jo Ann
November 8th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I would definitely try clarifying your hair, followed by a deep conditioning treatment. It sounds like you have quite a bit of build-up and clarifying would remove a lot of that build-up, if not all of it. IMHO, if that build-up is not removed, no matter what you put on your hair to try to moisturize/condition it, will not be as effective until the build-up (which is causing a "barrier," if you will) is removed.

Think of a dirty, dusty table you found in your attic. You wouldn't put polish on it right away--you would remove the dust and dirt first, so the polish would be better able to do it's job.

MusicalSpoons
November 8th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Sarah - Your hair is AMAZING!!

@MusicalSpoons - I'm using the matching shampoo, L'Oreal Botanicals the Argan and Safflower range, is that ok to use? I can't get over how much the Mane & Tail affected my hair, I've used the normal range before, stupidly I assumed the deep conditioning would be better!

I have heard about the Garnier hair food masks, the banana one I've read about, but then if you read too many things (damn google!) you come across people saying it dried their hair out, and of course, one negative post....! I tend to leave the conditioner on for around 15-20 mins, so maybe I need to do it for longer, do you still wash it first then put the conditioner on and leave it?

@Lapushka - thank you! I'm so scared to clarify as my hair is really broken and dry, I'm worried that will cause more damage.

@Lady Stardust - I will try that method today, thank you so much.

@MoonRabbit - thank you, I'm UK based and want to try things that I can get my hands on fairly fast.

xx

Yep, the L'Oreal looks good :) Thread about the Garnier masks here https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145438

I dampen my hair (well, wet but squeeze as much water out as possible) for a pre-wash conditioner, then shampoo later, then condition again. I actually do ROO between W and C as well, so another vote here for that! 15-20mins is a good length of time actually, though if you feel like trying out longer then your hair will tell you if it's worth it or not :)

Clarifying sounds scary, but honestly it could be the best thing for your hair right now. It doesn't have to be a harsh, stripping shampoo necessarily, just one without film-forming ingredients*. As long as you're gentle when you shampoo the lengths (and I recommend letting it sit for a couple of mins as well) and have a nice conditioner ready to go afterwards, it should be okay. You may even need to do it for a few wash days to get all the gunk off. As long as it doesn't make your hair feel *worse* you don't have to worry :) Jo Ann's illustration explaining the 'barrier' is excellent!

*Tresemme do a Cleanse and Replenish shampoo NOT the 2-in-1 which might do the trick, or Noughty do a detox shampoo, or even just a bog-standard, clear, Alberto Balsam or a basic clear own-brand shampoo or something - actually FemFresh has pretty much the perfect ingredients list for a simple clarifying without completely stripping (I'm not kidding!). Ooh, or a clear Faith in Nature shampoo, just NOT the ones featuring oils: jojoba, coconut, hemp&meadowfoam, avocado, or the Brave Botanicals. Actually when I used one of the FiN shampoos on my epic quest to find something acceptable to my scalp, my hair had The Most Volume it's ever had, which tells me it did a good job of throughly cleaning it! Unfortunately the resulting snowstorm from my spoilt brat scalp wasn't worth it, but it was fun to have to wrangle my hair into submission a little :grin:

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 10:13 AM
You don’t use shampoo at all?

No, it’s completely new to me. It’s never happened before in all 38 years of having hair! Even when I’ve coloured and stripped it, once I’ve added conditioner it’s felt better. But at the moment, nothing is working at all.

TatsuOni
November 8th, 2019, 10:19 AM
You don’t use shampoo at all?

No, it’s completely new to me. It’s never happened before in all 38 years of having hair! Even when I’ve coloured and stripped it, once I’ve added conditioner it’s felt better. But at the moment, nothing is working at all.

No I've been a CO-washer (Conditioner only) for many years.

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 12:31 PM
I’ve just had a complete meltdown - feel like an idiot but my hair is so important to me. I used a clarifying shampoo and then my mask and it feels even worse. Completely stripped, crispy, broken and dry.

I’m wondering if I should go to the hairdresser and see if they can suggest anything. I just don’t understand how this has happened in the space of a month. My hair literally went from perfectly healthy and happy to absolutely ruined. I’ve lost so much hair, it falls out/breaks off with every wash.

Will this eventually stop or is this permanent? I can’t see how it’s going to change and I’m really worried :(

X

Lady Stardust
November 8th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Don’t panic :grouphug:

Is it the L’Oreal Botanicals Argan & Safflower mask? Looking at the ingredients, I think it contains protein (soybean oil, safflower seed oil and linseed oil - I think)

Aqua / Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycine Soja Oil / Soybean Oil, Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Esters, Cocos Nucifera Oil / Coconut Oil, Sodium Benzoate, Salicylic Acid, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Linalool, Linum Usitatissimum Seed Oil /Linseed Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Carthamus Tinctorius Seed Oil / Safflower Seed Oil, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Hexyl Cinnamal, Parfum / Fragrance

What did you use to clarify?

MusicalSpoons
November 8th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Lady Stardust those aren't proteins - the oil doesn't contain protein. The beans/seeds can be protein sources but it would say either proteins / amino acids.

However coconut oil, strange beast that it is, is quite high up the ingredients for protein-overloaded hair. That *could* be a problem :hmm:

Lady Stardust
November 8th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Lady Stardust those aren't proteins - the oil doesn't contain protein. The beans/seeds can be protein sources but it would say either proteins / amino acids.

However coconut oil, strange beast that it is, is quite high up the ingredients for protein-overloaded hair. That *could* be a problem :hmm:

Good to know, thanks! I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me would look at the ingredients :) Being veggie, I saw protein sources :)

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Hi,

Yes that’s the one I’ve been using. I didn’t even consider coconut oil to be a problem!

Can anyone suggest a conditioner I can use that I can buy in the shops, here in the uk? I don’t care how much it costs at this point!

The clarifying shampoo I used was the tresemme one, but otherwise I’ve been using the same shampoo as the L’Oreal Botanicals.

This is so confusing!! (I have cried many times today!) x

Ylva
November 8th, 2019, 01:34 PM
You could get the TRESemmé conditioner of the same line (Cleanse & Replenish). It's pretty decent and doesn't contain any protein or coconut oil but does contain panthenol which is a miracle ingredient. :)

lapushka
November 8th, 2019, 01:41 PM

It may help to detangle it prior to wetting it, it's what I do and it helps tremendously. I then also *again* detangle post wash, but prior to washing is such a big big help!

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 01:43 PM
I actually have that as it was buy one get one but didn’t use it as it thought it wouldn’t be moisturising enough!

How often should I use the clarifying shampoo? I tend to wash my hair twice a week, 3 at most. But I’m aware I need to reduce that while it’s like this. Should I use the clarifying each time?

I’m honestly so grateful for all your help, everyone! X

MusicalSpoons
November 8th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Good to know, thanks! I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me would look at the ingredients :) Being veggie, I saw protein sources :)

Understandable - and yummy protein! :D

Hmm, Garnier UB Honey strengthening conditioner doesn't have coconut oil according to the Superdrug website.
Garnier Ultimate Blends Olive conditioner - oh yes, I seem to recall someone here with dry-ish lengths said this was too conditioning for them?

Based purely on ingredients lists, maybe worth considering:
Ultimate Blends Argan Oil & Almond Conditioner
Herbal Essences bio:renew Argan hair mask
HE bio renew Moringa Oil conditioner
HE Argan oil conditioner

Sadly my own personal favourite conditioners contain amino acids which are the building blocks of protein, so you probably can't risk it right now. I can't think of any more expensive ones with thoroughly wonderful ingredients lists off the top of my head :-/

EDIT: cross-posted, didn't see the most recent post. At the moment, I'd say use the clarifying shampoo each time for at least a week then see how things are. It shouldn't be any harsher than the L'Oreal, it just doesn't have the same plant oils to make your hair feel a bit nicer.
Let us know how you get on if you try the Tresemme conditioner; make sure you use ample amounts to give it the best shot ;)

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 02:16 PM
When you say the olive one was too moisturising, is that a bad thing? I feel like mine needs all the moisture it can get at the moment?

I also have the banana hair food one (I could open a bloody shop!) so I think I will try the Tresemme conditioner next time, stay away from the Argan and Safflower because of the coconut oil or should I try the olive one?

X

MusicalSpoons
November 8th, 2019, 02:40 PM
When you say the olive one was too moisturising, is that a bad thing? I feel like mine needs all the moisture it can get at the moment?

I also have the banana hair food one (I could open a bloody shop!) so I think I will try the Tresemme conditioner next time, stay away from the Argan and Safflower because of the coconut oil or should I try the olive one?

X

The remark sprang to mind when I was thinking about garnier conditioners, thinking it would probably be a good thing for your hair craving moisture. I can't give any guidance as to whether you should try the olive one or not, or which of those three would likely be more moisturising because I haven't used any of them. I do have some Ultimate Blends conditioners and masks to try at some point, but not the banana or the olive so I can't be any help there whatsoever, sorry!

Gingerella8
November 8th, 2019, 02:50 PM
No, not at all, you’ve all been amazing, thank you so much!

Jo Ann
November 9th, 2019, 01:44 AM
Coconut oil IS tricky...I can only use it on wet hair! Dry hair, and I have all kinds of problems :tmi:

I would try clarifying one more time, the next time you shampoo. I would also try a deep conditioning treatment afterward, even if it is only leaving your regular conditioner on for, say, 10-15 minutes. Clarifying can dry your hair (depending on your hair's condition), so the moisture treatment afterward is essential.

Don't give up hope yet! A protein overload can take time to ease and get your hair back into balance. Patience is the key. After you get your hair back to normal, you can try clarifying once a month or so to keep it that way--let your hair be your guide. For example, I use sulfate-free shampoo when I wash my hair (weekly, in my case) and clarify about once every four to six washes (about once a month to six weeks). It will take some time to find a clarifying schedule that works for you.

TatsuOni
November 9th, 2019, 02:20 AM
Have you tried to use aloe vera gel or something else after washing your hair, to fight the dryness? For me it's not enough to apply conditioner or a mask in the shower. I need more products afterwards, like aloe vera followed up by oil.

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 05:02 AM
Do you think it’s possible to get it back to how it was then? At the moment all I can think is that it’s never going to feel healthy again. I really don’t want to get it all cut off!

I have been deep conditioning every time I wash, to be fair I always leave my conditioner in for a while because my hair is so long - but at the moment the shampooing seems to be stripping my hair of everything, and that’s not even the clarifying shampoo, it’s like nothing I’ve ever felt before in my hair.

I’ve been using Aussie 3min miracle oil after washing just to get some kind of softness back into it.

:(

TatsuOni
November 9th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Do you think it’s possible to get it back to how it was then? At the moment all I can think is that it’s never going to feel healthy again. I really don’t want to get it all cut off!

I have been deep conditioning every time I wash, to be fair I always leave my conditioner in for a while because my hair is so long - but at the moment the shampooing seems to be stripping my hair of everything, and that’s not even the clarifying shampoo, it’s like nothing I’ve ever felt before in my hair.

I’ve been using Aussie 3min miracle oil after washing just to get some kind of softness back into it.

:(

I think that you just need to give your hair time while babying it. Don't give up on it! :blossom:

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thank you. I really hope you’re right xx

EdG
November 9th, 2019, 10:13 AM
I am going to throw in another possibility.

Sticky hair can be caused by a mixture of the waxy parts of sebum, remnants of shampoo/conditioner, dead skin cells, and lint. It can be seen as "scalp gunk" left on the comb. It accumulates in sections of hair that the comb never reaches (i.e. next to the scalp, or in hair that has become matted or twisted).

This problem is easy to diagnose because it is visible. If this is the case, the solution is to comb it out and to clean the comb frequently. The ends of the tines should cover every square centimeter of the scalp. This kind of gunk took a long time to build-up, and it will take time to remove.
Ed

MoonRabbit
November 9th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Another thing you could try is not washing your hair for a week or so. Let your natural oils moisturize your hair. Brush it once a day to get some of the oil distributed. Then when the week is up wash it but only really focusing on the scalp area. Don't lather shampoo in your length just let the suds naturally flow down during rinsing. Follow with a deep conditioner, let it sit wrapped in a baggie and towl for 45 mins.

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 10:46 AM
I am going to throw in another possibility.

Sticky hair can be caused by a mixture of the waxy parts of sebum, remnants of shampoo/conditioner, dead skin cells, and lint. It can be seen as "scalp gunk" left on the comb. It accumulates in sections of hair that the comb never reaches (i.e. next to the scalp, or in hair that has become matted or twisted).

This problem is easy to diagnose because it is visible. If this is the case, the solution is to comb it out and to clean the comb frequently. The ends of the tines should cover every square centimeter of the scalp. This kind of gunk took a long time to build-up, and it will take time to remove.
Ed

When I say sticky, it’s not sticky in the normal term, it’s actually really hard to describe. The only way I can think of is when you used to wash dolls hair and it completely changes from one texture to another. Matted, very squeaky, stiff, but doesn’t come apart, if that makes any sense. But when it’s dry, it’s nothing like that. It’s so bizarre!!

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Another thing you could try is not washing your hair for a week or so. Let your natural oils moisturize your hair. Brush it once a day to get some of the oil distributed. Then when the week is up wash it but only really focusing on the scalp area. Don't lather shampoo in your length just let the suds naturally flow down during rinsing. Follow with a deep conditioner, let it sit wrapped in a baggie and towl for 45 mins.

I’m hoping to try this for the next few days. I have work on Tuesday so I need to wash it Monday night but hoping I can go until then without washing - despite it being drier than a desert it still gets greasy roots fairly fast!

EdG
November 9th, 2019, 11:02 AM
When I say sticky, it’s not sticky in the normal term, it’s actually really hard to describe. The only way I can think of is when you used to wash dolls hair and it completely changes from one texture to another. Matted, very squeaky, stiff, but doesn’t come apart, if that makes any sense. But when it’s dry, it’s nothing like that. It’s so bizarre!!I have no experience in washing doll's hair. ;)

"Matted, stiff, but doesn't come apart" are signs of lint holding the hair together (although those symptoms persist even after the hair has dried).

You may want to try water-only washing. Warm water will loosen any waxy sebum, and accumulated sebum and lint will be apparent when the hair is combed out.
Ed

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 12:18 PM
I have no experience in washing doll's hair. ;)

"Matted, stiff, but doesn't come apart" are signs of lint holding the hair together (although those symptoms persist even after the hair has dried).

You may want to try water-only washing. Warm water will loosen any waxy sebum, and accumulated sebum and lint will be apparent when the hair is combed out.
Ed

It’s definitely not that, and it’s the water that’s making my hair matted.

MusicalSpoons
November 9th, 2019, 12:37 PM
With respect, Ed, she did say it only started after using Mane n Tail, then not being able to get her hair back to normal after that. Even if lint is somehow contributing (stuck in some buildup? I can't really think how else) it's very unlikely to be the root of the problem.

OP I had a couple of other thoughts; I can't remember if they've been specifically suggested yet or not.
Do you have honey and any reasonably pure aloe vera gel? Before your next wash you could maybe try out an SMT https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128 Basically mix conditioner with honey and aloe; the honey is used for its humectant quality so any cheap kind will do, or you can substitute glycerin for honey. Dampen your hair, put it on, and let sit for however long :)

Or, you could try pre-pooing with oil (olive works, I think you said you had that?) - heavily oil your hair the previous night, then before you come to wash dampen it, slather conditioner on, let sit for at least 30mins, then wash normally.

You can even combine the two techniques, but maybe best to wait until you know how effective they are alone first.

EdG
November 9th, 2019, 12:40 PM
It’s definitely not that, and it’s the water that’s making my hair matted.Okay, your water may be loaded with minerals. I don't have any advice for that, only that I use distilled water to dampen my hair prior to detangling.
Ed

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 01:05 PM
With respect, Ed, she did say it only started after using Mane n Tail, then not being able to get her hair back to normal after that. Even if lint is somehow contributing (stuck in some buildup? I can't really think how else) it's very unlikely to be the root of the problem.

OP I had a couple of other thoughts; I can't remember if they've been specifically suggested yet or not.
Do you have honey and any reasonably pure aloe vera gel? Before your next wash you could maybe try out an SMT https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128 Basically mix conditioner with honey and aloe; the honey is used for its humectant quality so any cheap kind will do, or you can substitute glycerin for honey. Dampen your hair, put it on, and let sit for however long :)

Or, you could try pre-pooing with oil (olive works, I think you said you had that?) - heavily oil your hair the previous night, then before you come to wash dampen it, slather conditioner on, let sit for at least 30mins, then wash normally.

You can even combine the two techniques, but maybe best to wait until you know how effective they are alone first.

Oil is ok, protein wise? I just don’t understand how my hair has got so ruined in such a short space of time. It’s like nothing can get into when it’s wet, the conditioner just kind of sits on it. As soon as it’s rinsed out it feels rough again, not as bad as after shampooing but definitely not properly conditioned. It’s like it’s coated in something, or something is blocking moisture getting in. I feel like dipping my entire head in oil! X

Ylva
November 9th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Did you try chelating yet? I kind of fell off the wagon in this thread.

SpottedBackson
November 9th, 2019, 02:04 PM
I think I've read that what's really important for hair is protein-moisture balance and it sounds like maybe yours is suffering from too much protein at the moment. Like MusicalSpoons said you could try a Snowy Moon moisture treatment, there's information about it on the newbie board. I had one on for an hour and it was almost too much moisture for me but if your hair is really dry maybe you could put on a shower cap and leave it over night.

Please don't stress out about your hair! It's very unlikely you can't save it. :flower:

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Did you try chelating yet? I kind of fell off the wagon in this thread.

Haha! That’s understandable - it’s very me me me, sorry! I bought the tresemme clarifying shampoo yes, I was praying it would make a difference in the first wash but it didn’t, still crispy, crunchy and stripped. Someone told me to do it a few more times so I will try. X

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 02:17 PM
I think I've read that what's really important for hair is protein-moisture balance and it sounds like maybe yours is suffering from too much protein at the moment. Like MusicalSpoons said you could try a Snowy Moon moisture treatment, there's information about it on the newbie board. I had one on for an hour and it was almost too much moisture for me but if your hair is really dry maybe you could put on a shower cap and leave it over night.

Please don't stress out about your hair! It's very unlikely you can't save it. :flower:

Yes, it definitely needs a tonne of moisture. I don’t have any aloe Vera gel (I have lots of honey), but I do have olive oil so I could do that instead. But I’m so worried about putting so many different things on my hair.

I’m hoping it can be saved/reversed, it just amazes me that whatever is coating/affecting it, hasn’t washed away or been replaced yet. It literally happened overnight, one or two washes and that was it, I was hoping it would be the same in reverse!

MusicalSpoons
November 9th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Oil is ok, protein wise? I just don’t understand how my hair has got so ruined in such a short space of time. It’s like nothing can get into when it’s wet, the conditioner just kind of sits on it. As soon as it’s rinsed out it feels rough again, not as bad as after shampooing but definitely not properly conditioned. It’s like it’s coated in something, or something is blocking moisture getting in. I feel like dipping my entire head in oil! X

Oil is fine, no protein in it - the only kind of exception is coconut oil, which still doesn't contain protein but it tends to make protein-sensitive hair crunchy (and some not protein-sensitive hair); it's just a weird one. However thinking about it, I would suggest trying the SMT first, as oil is great but by itself it's not moisture. It helps with lubrication and flexibility but that's no use if you still need hydration (those are the three basic components of 'moisture' for skin and hair).

The thing it, that still sounds like buildup or product and/or minerals, or it could just be that your hair is reeling from the protein still. The Tresemme is supposed to clarify and chelate the hard water minerals, but it's not heavy-duty chelation - but your water's not changed so that's not the main problem. At least using it a few more times you'll know that yes you have clarified and chelated so any remaining problem will probably be the protein, and hopefully it will just be a case of moisturising and babying it as much as possible until it's happy again :)

SpottedBackson
November 9th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I don't think it's unusual for protein to not wash out quickly but I'm no expert on the topic.

I think you're right to not want to put a whole lot of different things on your hair - you won't know what effect any of them have that way.

I think for the SMT you'd be better off substituting another humectant for aloe vera, rather than olive oil. Those two things have very different effects on your hair. Aloe vera (and honey) draw moisture in, olive oil locks it in (or locks it out if it's not there already). Alternatively you could just double the honey in the recipe.

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Oil is fine, no protein in it - the only kind of exception is coconut oil, which still doesn't contain protein but it tends to make protein-sensitive hair crunchy (and some not protein-sensitive hair); it's just a weird one. However thinking about it, I would suggest trying the SMT first, as oil is great but by itself it's not moisture. It helps with lubrication and flexibility but that's no use if you still need hydration (those are the three basic components of 'moisture' for skin and hair).

The thing it, that still sounds like buildup or product and/or minerals, or it could just be that your hair is reeling from the protein still. The Tresemme is supposed to clarify and chelate the hard water minerals, but it's not heavy-duty chelation - but your water's not changed so that's not the main problem. At least using it a few more times you'll know that yes you have clarified and chelated so any remaining problem will probably be the protein, and hopefully it will just be a case of moisturising and babying it as much as possible until it's happy again :)

So do you think the crunchy feeling is because it’s got no moisture in it? I was imagining the clarifying/shampooing would get rid of that feeling, and the conditioning making it, eventually, feel better.

Gingerella8
November 9th, 2019, 02:49 PM
I don't think it's unusual for protein to not wash out quickly but I'm no expert on the topic.

I think you're right to not want to put a whole lot of different things on your hair - you won't know what effect any of them have that way.

I think for the SMT you'd be better off substituting another humectant for aloe vera, rather than olive oil. Those two things have very different effects on your hair. Aloe vera (and honey) draw moisture in, olive oil locks it in (or locks it out if it's not there already). Alternatively you could just double the honey in the recipe.

So just honey and conditioner? I have read the thread and I think I’ve read so many posts I’m confusing myself. Is it instead of a shampoo, or after a shampoo? Sorry for so many questions all the time - this is so new to me, I’ve always been a wash and go person!

SpottedBackson
November 9th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Haha, no worries. There's so much info and you're probably feeling a bit stressed out. Honey and conditioner should work just fine. Make sure the conditioner doesn't have protein in it. Next time you need to wash your hair, shampoo it (only) and towel dry or air dry your hair it until it's not dripping but still wet/damp. Then apply the SMT all over and cover with a shower cap. When you've waited as long as you want rinse it out thoroughly just with water. If your hair feels more moisturised after that you could put a drop or two of olive oil in your palms, rub them together and apply it to your hair while it's still drying to lock that moisture in.

Lady Stardust
November 9th, 2019, 03:43 PM
If you feel like the conditioner is just sitting on top of your hair, it might help to use a heat cap, or at least a shower cap and/or warm towel wrapped around your head while you leave the conditioner on.

I have a Hot Head heat cap, it warms up in the microwave. It makes a big difference to how well conditioner works on my hair.

MusicalSpoons
November 9th, 2019, 03:48 PM
So do you think the crunchy feeling is because it’s got no moisture in it? I was imagining the clarifying/shampooing would get rid of that feeling, and the conditioning making it, eventually, feel better.

Not necessarily that it has no moisture, but not enough to balance out the protein overload.

I was originally thinking of doing the SMT before washing but actually SpottedBackson's comment makes more sense. That way your hair is clarified and hopefully primed to benefit from the conditioning as much as possible :)

lapushka
November 9th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Yes, it definitely needs a tonne of moisture. I don’t have any aloe Vera gel (I have lots of honey), but I do have olive oil so I could do that instead. But I’m so worried about putting so many different things on my hair.

I’m hoping it can be saved/reversed, it just amazes me that whatever is coating/affecting it, hasn’t washed away or been replaced yet. It literally happened overnight, one or two washes and that was it, I was hoping it would be the same in reverse!

Do you have color treated hair? Bleached hair? Heat damaged hair? Or is it all virgin hair?

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 12:54 AM
Do you have color treated hair? Bleached hair? Heat damaged hair? Or is it all virgin hair?

I haven’t had anything done to it for at least 4 years. So while the ends may be slightly damaged, the rest of it isn’t. I never blow dry my hair, I occasionally straighten it, but not every time.

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 12:56 AM
Haha, no worries. There's so much info and you're probably feeling a bit stressed out. Honey and conditioner should work just fine. Make sure the conditioner doesn't have protein in it. Next time you need to wash your hair, shampoo it (only) and towel dry or air dry your hair it until it's not dripping but still wet/damp. Then apply the SMT all over and cover with a shower cap. When you've waited as long as you want rinse it out thoroughly just with water. If your hair feels more moisturised after that you could put a drop or two of olive oil in your palms, rub them together and apply it to your hair while it's still drying to lock that moisture in.

How much honey should I use? Because I have so much hair, I tend to use a lot of conditioner on it. I was thinking of using the Tresemme one that goes with the clarifying shampoo as someone on here said it would be a good one as it has something in it (I want to say Parabens but I could be totally making that up!) it won’t damage my hair anymore will it, the honey? X

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 12:57 AM
If you feel like the conditioner is just sitting on top of your hair, it might help to use a heat cap, or at least a shower cap and/or warm towel wrapped around your head while you leave the conditioner on.

I have a Hot Head heat cap, it warms up in the microwave. It makes a big difference to how well conditioner works on my hair.

Does cling film work the same way? I’ve often wrapped that round my hair for a deep conditioning, then I stick a beanie hat on top!

lapushka
November 10th, 2019, 03:26 AM
I haven’t had anything done to it for at least 4 years. So while the ends may be slightly damaged, the rest of it isn’t. I never blow dry my hair, I occasionally straighten it, but not every time.

That's 4 years of growth. So should be around APL/BSL? Are the parts below that giving you issues? Because then it might just be the damaged parts acting up.

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 03:30 AM
That's 4 years of growth. So should be around APL/BSL? Are the parts below that giving you issues? Because then it might just be the damaged parts acting up.

I don’t know what those letters mean...? Sorry.

It’s all my hair. From roots to tips. Another thing I’ve noticed is when I go outside it goes so static, and I’ve never had static hair before either!

TatsuOni
November 10th, 2019, 03:50 AM
I don’t know what those letters mean...? Sorry.

It’s all my hair. From roots to tips. Another thing I’ve noticed is when I go outside it goes so static, and I’ve never had static hair before either!

APL = Arm Pit Length. BSL = Bra Strap Length.

My hair's only static when it's dry. For me it helps to add aloe vera and oil.

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 04:04 AM
APL = Arm Pit Length. BSL = Bra Strap Length.

My hair's only static when it's dry. For me it helps to add aloe vera and oil.

Ah. No, my hair grows really fast. It’s waist length. Add oil straight to the hair?

TatsuOni
November 10th, 2019, 04:12 AM
Ah. No, my hair grows really fast. It’s waist length. Add oil straight to the hair?

I first add moisture, like aloe vera, then a few drops of oil.

lapushka
November 10th, 2019, 04:45 AM

No I mean where the damage demarcation line is. After 4 years of "healthy" growth your new undamaged hair would be APL/BSL (armpit / bra strap length) the rest of it would be damaged. So what part is giving you issues?

CuteCrow
November 10th, 2019, 04:57 AM
My two cents here is don't try everything at once! You are getting a ton of advise here but if you try several things at the same time you are not going to know what actually worked.
I'd say write everything down and leave at least two weeks between trying new stuff, and only one small change at a time.

Also, some pointers, you can't wash out protein from hair, but you can balance it with moisture. If you are really having a protein overload adding moisturising conditioners/masks is your best bet.
A chelating shampoo is not to be used frequently and much less if your hair is dry, clarifying shampoos are mean to strip your hair for any build-up so it's going to dry it more. I would use it every two weeks or once a month.
As you said your roots get greasy but your lengths are dry maybe you should give a go to a boar bristle brush, it's supposed to help your natural sebum to travel down the length.

And they sell an aloe Vera gel at Superdrug that's almost pure aloe Vera, it's on the first aid section as it's supposed to be used for burns.

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 05:07 AM
No I mean where the damage demarcation line is. After 4 years of "healthy" growth your new undamaged hair would be APL/BSL (armpit / bra strap length) the rest of it would be damaged. So what part is giving you issues?

Ah I see! But still, the problem is root down. Something has affect all my hair.

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 05:43 AM
My two cents here is don't try everything at once! You are getting a ton of advise here but if you try several things at the same time you are not going to know what actually worked.
I'd say write everything down and leave at least two weeks between trying new stuff, and only one small change at a time.

Also, some pointers, you can't wash out protein from hair, but you can balance it with moisture. If you are really having a protein overload adding moisturising conditioners/masks is your best bet.
A chelating shampoo is not to be used frequently and much less if your hair is dry, clarifying shampoos are mean to strip your hair for any build-up so it's going to dry it more. I would use it every two weeks or once a month.
As you said your roots get greasy but your lengths are dry maybe you should give a go to a boat bristle brush, it's supposed to help your natural sebum to travel down the length.

And they sell a aloe Vera gel at Superdrug that's almost pure aloe Vera, it's on the first aid section as it's supposed to be used for burns.

That’s really helpful thank you, in my head I was trying to wash out the problem, but that makes more sense. Can you recommend a good shampoo/conditioner to use? I have the L’Oreal Botanicals one but it has coconut oil in it. I have the Tresemme one but that’s clarifying so now I’m a bit confused what shampoo/conditioner I should be using. :(

I’ve got the Aussie 3 miracle oil Reconstructor which my hair seems to be soaking up so I’m going to keep going with that, but I obviously want to get as much moisture in as possible. I’m a little nervous to use the SMT at the moment.

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 05:47 AM
Actually, I’ve got a Green People Aloe Vera shampoo which I think is completely protein free so I’m going to try that, plus the Tresemme conditioner which has no protein in it. And a tonne of oils. That sounds ok doesn’t it? (Does it?) x

TatsuOni
November 10th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Actually, I’ve got a Green People Aloe Vera shampoo which I think is completely protein free so I’m going to try that, plus the Tresemme conditioner which has no protein in it. And a tonne of oils. That sounds ok doesn’t it? (Does it?) x

Just remember that oil doesn't add moisture. Oils adds fatty acids and helps with keeping moisture locked in the hair. That's why I use aloe vera first, to add moisture and then add oil.

CuteCrow
November 10th, 2019, 06:15 AM

Seems good to me, I stick with my advise tho. Try first the shampoo and conditioner for a couple of weeks before adding oils to the mix. In addition to what TatsuOni said, remember you only need a couple of drops of oil ;)

lapushka
November 10th, 2019, 09:46 AM
Ah I see! But still, the problem is root down. Something has affect all my hair.

Oh brother. I thought I had it figured out. LOL! That's so odd! It's a total mystery to me.

Seems good to me, I stick with my advise tho. Try first the shampoo and conditioner for a couple of weeks before adding oils to the mix. In addition to what TatsuOni said, remember you only need a couple of drops of oil ;)

Seconding the "drops" of oil; don't overdo it.

MusicalSpoons
November 10th, 2019, 09:59 AM
The way I see it is you can choose to try one thing at a time, or you can throw a few things at it to see whether anything in there helps ... obviously that's not sustainable in the long term, so if you did that you'd then need to take a more methodical approach once your hair is happier. If your goal is to develop a better routine then you definitely need to be methodical at the start, whereas if your goal is one of rescue then you can try a few things at a time - though not everything, of course. (That doesn't apply for scalp issues however, only for hair, but as you haven't mentioned scalp issues this is just a general disclaimer!) And actually deciding which approach to take can be empowering, as it is some within your control.

It also depends what you can cope with mentally too - maybe it seems less of a monumental task to break it down into trying new things one at a time, or maybe one thing at a time feels like it's prolonging things too much. Everyone is different and it's easy to feel overwhelmed even when your hair is feeling fine, so it must be even harder when your hair is struggling. You'll get there, and we'll be here to support you :flower:

Edit: re oils, as a general rule if you're using them just before a wash you can be liberal. If you're using them as part of a wash or afterwards, definitely start with less. You can gradually work your way up to the right amount for your hair over subsequent washes if need be, but you definitely don't want to start out with too much!

Gingerella8
November 10th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Thank you everyone. Honestly, you’ve saved my sanity this week! I used (quite a lot) of oil before I washed my hair today, then used the aloe vera shampoo and Tresemme conditioner, then added a bit of oil while it was wet (the Aussie 3 miracle oil) and - touch wood - my hair feels happier. Certainly not normal levels, but better than it’s felt in the past 3 weeks! I’ve still got a lot of frizzy damage at the roots, where I think it’s broken off quite a lot, but if it keeps carrying on this way I will be so relieved!!

You’re all flipping amazing. Thank you thank you thank you xxxx

Ylva
November 10th, 2019, 01:52 PM
I'm so glad to hear your hair is feeling better! :)

Tinyponies
November 10th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Been lurkingly rooting for you, Gingerella, hope things continue to improve. You’ve had such excellent advice and support.

The only thing I can think to add is I give my hair a duvet day any time I can get away with it and leave my silk cap on all day under a beanie - hair is safe and warm and coiled and always seems to come out happier. Yours might like it too.

lapushka
November 10th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Thank you everyone. Honestly, you’ve saved my sanity this week! I used (quite a lot) of oil before I washed my hair today, then used the aloe vera shampoo and Tresemme conditioner, then added a bit of oil while it was wet (the Aussie 3 miracle oil) and - touch wood - my hair feels happier. Certainly not normal levels, but better than it’s felt in the past 3 weeks! I’ve still got a lot of frizzy damage at the roots, where I think it’s broken off quite a lot, but if it keeps carrying on this way I will be so relieved!!

You’re all flipping amazing. Thank you thank you thank you xxxx

That's great! :D

Maybe keep doing this exact routine, it might improve!

Gingerella8
November 20th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone! Me again ��

It was all going so well, then all of a sudden, after shampooing (same stuff, aloe vera from Green People) it started feeling stripped and crispy again?! It feels softer once conditioner is on and it’s not as bad as it was when it’s dry, but it’s so strange that it’s started reacting again when nothing has changed? I can’t think what else could be causing it other than the protein reaction but I’ve not used a single thing with protein or coconut oil (not even heat protection so I’ve not had heat anywhere near my hair for weeks).

Just when I thought my hair was on its way back to me!

TatsuOni
November 20th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone! Me again ��

It was all going so well, then all of a sudden, after shampooing (same stuff, aloe vera from Green People) it started feeling stripped and crispy again?! It feels softer once conditioner is on and it’s not as bad as it was when it’s dry, but it’s so strange that it’s started reacting again when nothing has changed? I can’t think what else could be causing it other than the protein reaction but I’ve not used a single thing with protein or coconut oil (not even heat protection so I’ve not had heat anywhere near my hair for weeks).

Just when I thought my hair was on its way back to me!

Do you have hard water? It could be mineral build up.

LittleHealthy
November 20th, 2019, 11:47 AM
I think you just need to go back to using Nexxus. Mane n Tail was definitely too much protein(I can't use the conditioner or my hair gets totally matted). But all this product swapping isn't helping. They're probably building up on each other which is why your hair still feels weird. Both the oils and deep conditioners are likely causing buildup on top of the protein overload.

I suggest using a clarifying shampoo a couple times or until your hair feels more... manageable. Then go back to just Nexxus. No new oils or deep conditioners until your hair feels normal again.

Also, welcome to the forum! Hope this helps:wink:

I like this advice. To clarify your hair will sort of 'reset' it, then you can move back to what you were using, or something with less protein. Perhaps there's residual product from the mane n tail in there, creating a barrier.

How often do you shampoo? Perhaps you could try some 'cowashing' (conditioner only)? Some people wash their hair with just a silicone free conditioner. Although, if it is mineral build up that wouldn't help. It rings alarm bells that your hair was totally ok before the mane n tail. My guess is that perhaps it's gone back to being crunchy because the 'damage' that's happened with the protein isn't really going to just disappear on its own. I dyed mine and it became like that, I'm still dealing with it in my ends now!
Honestly I'd just go easy on the shampoo, load up on conditioner and then while your hair is still damp I'd run a couple of drops of Argan, jojoba or almond oil through it, focussing on the ends. If that doesn't help then mineral build up might be something worth looking at!

Gingerella8
November 20th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Yes, we’re in a hard water area but we always have been, so it’s nothing new there.

Gingerella8
November 20th, 2019, 11:51 AM
I tried the Nexxus again and my hair didn’t like it, it felt separated and crispy again. That was just the conditioner, I was hoping that my hair would go back to loving it but it didn’t. This has been going on for nearly 2 months now, not sure if there could be anything left over from whatever caused it? It’s so confusing!

lapushka
November 20th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Yes, we’re in a hard water area but we always have been, so it’s nothing new there.

If it's a new problem, then what were you using *all* those previous years without any issues? Have you gone from sulfates to sulfate-mild or sulfate-free, perhaps?

Gingerella8
November 20th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Honestly, my hair used to like everything! For the past few months I’ve used Nexxus then in an emergency grabbed Mane and Tail deep conditioning and boom. Broken my hair somehow! Now it doesn’t seem to like water at all!

lapushka
November 20th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Maybe get yourself a good old-fashioned harsh sulfate (like say the Pantene volumizing: sulfates, no silicones), and try that. Pantene always works for me, but that's me.

MusicalSpoons
November 20th, 2019, 05:47 PM
Honestly, my hair used to like everything! For the past few months I’ve used Nexxus then in an emergency grabbed Mane and Tail deep conditioning and boom. Broken my hair somehow! Now it doesn’t seem to like water at all!

Bizarre, I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems. As the Tresemme doesn't seem to be cutting it, maybe it is time for something heavy-duty. Pantene is a good suggestion, or Herbal Essences if they have a 'detox' / 'deep cleanse' / volumising one.

The really weird thing is, I think Nexxus contains protein too, though there could be different versions and you used one without - which one was it you were using?

enting
November 21st, 2019, 02:09 AM
Hi, I'm late to the conversation. Something that struck me is that you said your hair goes static when you go outside and that's a new thing? Perhaps it's not just shampoos and conditioners and water to blame, perhaps the air where you are has suddenly gotten drier?
This happened this week where I live, everything went from normal moisture in the air to static everywhere and everything is super dry. I used my most moisturizing conditioner and it barely worked. No other changes happened in my routine.

I'm not sure how to work with that, my own hair is crispier from the change, but maybe with that factor in mind some further suggestions can be made?

Gingerella8
November 21st, 2019, 03:07 AM
Maybe get yourself a good old-fashioned harsh sulfate (like say the Pantene volumizing: sulfates, no silicones), and try that. Pantene always works for me, but that's me.

What will that do, clarify the hair? Do you mean the conditioner or the shampoo? (I’ve spend so much money on products the last 2 months!) x

Gingerella8
November 21st, 2019, 03:11 AM
Bizarre, I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems. As the Tresemme doesn't seem to be cutting it, maybe it is time for something heavy-duty. Pantene is a good suggestion, or Herbal Essences if they have a 'detox' / 'deep cleanse' / volumising one.

The really weird thing is, I think Nexxus contains protein too, though there could be different versions and you used one without - which one was it you were using?

Yeah it does contain protein! Which is why I find it so weird. It was perfect with the Nexxus, the M&T made it feel awful and now it doesn’t get on with anything. I wish I had never used the bloody M&T. My hair has never reacted with proteins or anything before. It’s like it’s completely coated with something. I keep saying crispy but a better word would be crunchy. When it’s shampooed it feels crunchy but dry. Think a whole can of mousse mixed with dry shampoo. That’s how it feels. ��

I’m still worried the clarifying or detoxing is going to make my hair more fragile, because I don’t know what’s wrong with it.

Gingerella8
November 21st, 2019, 03:12 AM
Hi, I'm late to the conversation. Something that struck me is that you said your hair goes static when you go outside and that's a new thing? Perhaps it's not just shampoos and conditioners and water to blame, perhaps the air where you are has suddenly gotten drier?
This happened this week where I live, everything went from normal moisture in the air to static everywhere and everything is super dry. I used my most moisturizing conditioner and it barely worked. No other changes happened in my routine.

I'm not sure how to work with that, my own hair is crispier from the change, but maybe with that factor in mind some further suggestions can be made?

I do think the cold weather has affected it but how it feels when it’s washed is something else, just wish I knew what. Thank you though.

Gingerella8
November 21st, 2019, 03:17 AM
I like this advice. To clarify your hair will sort of 'reset' it, then you can move back to what you were using, or something with less protein. Perhaps there's residual product from the mane n tail in there, creating a barrier.

How often do you shampoo? Perhaps you could try some 'cowashing' (conditioner only)? Some people wash their hair with just a silicone free conditioner. Although, if it is mineral build up that wouldn't help. It rings alarm bells that your hair was totally ok before the mane n tail. My guess is that perhaps it's gone back to being crunchy because the 'damage' that's happened with the protein isn't really going to just disappear on its own. I dyed mine and it became like that, I'm still dealing with it in my ends now!
Honestly I'd just go easy on the shampoo, load up on conditioner and then while your hair is still damp I'd run a couple of drops of Argan, jojoba or almond oil through it, focussing on the ends. If that doesn't help then mineral build up might be something worth looking at!

I just saw your message sorry. I shampoo every wash, I’m not overly sure how to was with just conditioner, especially as I get greasy roots? Does the damage ever go? Or is it a case of waiting for it to grow out? That’s a whole load of waiting! X

LittleHealthy
November 22nd, 2019, 03:08 AM
Well if it's actually damaged (rather than just feeling cruddy) then yes, you can't really 'repair' the damage but you can sort of smooth it over.
I like Lapushka's suggestion of going in with a heavy duty shampoo to clarify your hair and 'start fresh'. That might be best, and from there you could always try cowashing with a gentle conditioner.
I stand by saying that post-wash you should oil your lengths and ends, just 2-3 drops, with a softening oil like argan, jojoba or almond oil whilst the hair is damp.
Do let us know how you go with it xx!!

Ylva
November 22nd, 2019, 05:00 AM
Wrong thread :run: