PDA

View Full Version : I successfully used a hair stick!!

tomm
March 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Today was the first day this year that temperatures went above 70 degrees. It made me realize that Summer is coming and I am definitely going to want a quick, reliable, and most importantly comfortable way to keep my hair off my neck. Elastics just seem to "pull" to much - I never have liked the way they feel.

I realized that the time has come for me stop with the excuses and learn how to use a hair stick. After LOTS of practice (no, I am not going to admit how much) my fingers finally produced this:

http://tomandeva.googlepages.com/HPIM2036.JPG

It has been holding firm for about two hours now! Now to figure out how to capture the flyaways.

hrimfaxi
March 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Woohoo! :D Lookin' good! Since I learned to bun my hair it is an indispensable skill in the warmer weather...

girlcat36
March 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Wow, tomm, that's looking good!

DecafJane
March 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Woohoo! Congratulations! :D

redcelticcurls
March 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
That looks great, I love the curls up on top.

For flyaways, I either have to put up with them, or use a bunch of gel. Putting my hair up wet takes some away too, but then it stays wet forever...

It snowed most of the day here today. Good 'Ol Easter snow. I envy your temps!

suicides_eve
March 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
I'm so jealous of those curls Tomm, your hair is really growing fast:)

Iona
March 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Congratulations on the hairstick usage!!

That looks, way better than my first hair stick bun. Buns are so fantastic in the summer, nothing better for keeping your neck cool.

Your curls are awesome!! That looks so nice with the tendrils out the top!

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Oh wow, that looks so cool! I love the curls! (yeah I am biased, my DH has them too :D) Good work!

Lisa-Maria
March 23rd, 2008, 01:24 AM
Congrats, now you'll become a hairstick addict just like the rest of us ;)

WavyGirl
March 23rd, 2008, 02:53 AM
Congratulations! That is a tough skill to master. Worth it though, that style looks great with your curls. I'd second the gel suggestion for flyaways, simple aloe vera works best for me. You'll be looking good all summer 8)

tomm
March 23rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Thank you, everyone; I was really excited when the stick finally held!

Yes, hrimfaxi and Iona, I can tell I am going to be wearing this a LOT when the the weather here hits 90+ degrees and 90+ humidity. I don't know about acquiring a large number of sticks, Lisa-Maria, but I definitely will be a regular user.

Thank you, RCC and WavyGirl, for the suggestion to use aloe to tame the flyaways. Cool aloe gel will feel really nice on my neck in the heat of a summer day.

Unfortunately, our temperatures were short-lived, RCC. When I woke up this morning, it was in the 30s, windy, and overcast.

Thank you for the wonderful comments about my curls, suicides_eve, Iona, eadwine, and WavyGirl. I do love the way they look and feel. So I won't be wearing my hair up much - but it is great to know that I can put it up with a stick when I need to.

tomm
March 23rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
I had to prove to myself that yesterday wasn't a fluke. This is my second attempt - and it only took a few tries to get the stick to hold!

http://tomandeva.googlepages.com/HPIM2039.JPG

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
YESS!! Good going :)

Xandergrammy
March 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Look at that!!! :joy: It looks great, tomm!!! As far as the flyaways, I don't think there's any way to conquer them. If you happen to stumble upon a "cure", please let me know! :gabigrin:

darkwaves
March 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Good for you, tomm! And I love those flyaway curls.

embee
March 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Dang! How did you *do* that? It almost looks like a french twist, and I can't do them at all, never could.

I love sticks, they're my main hairtoy and they work! Keep practicing. If you're like me, you'll find the best results happen around bedtime when you're not going anywhere and don't need the hair to stay up anway. Figures.

Carina
March 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Good work,tomm.Congratulations!!!!

FrannyG
March 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Very nice Tomm. Good work! I didn't know how to use a hairstick myself until I joined LHC.

I'm looking forward to all manner of new styles from you now! :grin:

florenonite
March 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Ooh, good for you! It looks great!

Wavelength
March 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
I had to prove to myself that yesterday wasn't a fluke. This is my second attempt - and it only took a few tries to get the stick to hold!

Congrats tomm! That looks like a French twist to me, and it looks great. You'll have to tell us what you did! :)

Hairsticks are like learning the piano -- you make lots of mistakes and everything you produce seems hideous at first, but practice makes perfect!

tomm
March 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
Look at that!!! :joy: It looks great, tomm!!! As far as the flyaways, I don't think there's any way to conquer them. If you happen to stumble upon a "cure", please let me know! :gabigrin:
Thank you, Xandergrammy! For now, the thought of some cool water, or aloe gel, or both on a hot summer day sounds very appealing. But if I do find a cure, I will let everyone know.

tomm
March 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Thank you, Darkwaves, Carina, and florenonite - I almost couldn't believe it when the stick finally held securely. I am glad, too, to know that flyaways do happen.

Chamomile betty
March 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
It looks very pretty. You did a good job!

tomm
March 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Wow, embee and Wavelength! It is so heartening to know that my efforts were not only successful but also recognizable! You're right - it is a French Twist, or at least what the woman who makes Mei Fa hair sticks call a french twist. She has a tutorial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KlPt81TzFn0) that was very helpful to me.

My hair is thick enough that I was barely able to make it work. I think it will be easier with more length.

tomm
March 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Very nice Tomm. Good work! I didn't know how to use a hairstick myself until I joined LHC.

I'm looking forward to all manner of new styles from you now! :grin:
Thank you, Franny. I'm not sure I will be using a lot of different styles on a regular basis - I tend to find a few things that work well for me and stick to them.

But I will probably be experimenting quite a bit until I do settle on those few styles. I promise to share my results.

tomm
March 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
It looks very pretty. You did a good job!
Thank you, Chamomile betty! I think my wife already is out looking at hair sticks for me.

Gemma
March 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Great job, tomm! It looks really good. :)

tomm
March 23rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Thank you, Gemma!

redcelticcurls
March 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I'm glad that you were able to do it again. It also looks good on you, not too "girly".

I've wondered if it is harder for guys and updos...

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I'm glad that you were able to do it again. It also looks good on you, not too "girly".

I've wondered if it is harder for guys and updos...
Thank you, RCC! I do like the fact that it is a simpler style.

Harder how?

lora410
March 24th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I remember when I first learned to use just 1 stick (I started off learning with 2). I can't tell you how frustrated I got with them :lol: It is a great feeling to use something not a huge amount of people in society use. so CONGRATS :flowers:

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Thank you, lora410! Two is the next step for me, or something like an Amish pin.

Garnet66
March 24th, 2008, 12:19 PM
That's a great updo Tomm! Looks wonderful.

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Thank you, Mikki! It is wonderful to think that now just one thin stick is all I need to get my hair up off my neck - a very necessary skill here in Southern USA.

jojo
March 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
yay Tomm, that looks great!

lora410
March 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thank you, lora410! Two is the next step for me, or something like an Amish pin.

Two is alot easier then one. Once you get that 1 to hold your hair sucessfully then you just add another stick, and voila. Getting just 1 stick to hold is hard to you did the hardest one first.

ladystar
March 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Congrats, I am still in battle with my hair stick’s, at times I can’t seem to get them to stay in. But I will keep on trying.

AutumnLeaves
March 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Congrats, Tomm! I never could get hairsticks to hold my hair long so you are ahead of the game! Next it will be hair forks! (I love hairforks!):D

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thank you, jojo! I was happy just to get the stick to hold - I just hoped it didn't look too crazy in the back. When embee and Wavelength recognized that it was a French Twist I was amazed!

This weekend I will search for a short pair of double-pointed knitting needles to practice with, Lora410 :)

And, I promise Sherry, before the end of the year - on to hair forks (or at least an Amish-type pin)

tomm
March 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Congrats, I am still in battle with my hair stick’s, at times I can’t seem to get them to stay in. But I will keep on trying.
If I can do it, ladystar, I know that you can. I can't wait to see pictures when you do!

harley mama
March 25th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Tomm, that is how I wear my stick most of the time. It is fast and easy to twist up. I like the way your curl peek out from the top. It has been fun watching your hair grow! I can not wait to see what the future brings! More knockout curl, no doubt!

tomm
March 25th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thank you, harley mama - fast and easy is definitely a requirement for me!

I do hope that you are right about more knockout curl! We'll see - I am loving the journey!

harley mama
March 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Thank you, harley mama - fast and easy is definitely a requirement for me!

I do hope that you are right about more knockout curl! We'll see - I am loving the journey!

So are we (loving the journey)! Thanks for letting us join you as you grow! I think your curl will continue to be awesome as it grows longer. You were indeed blessed with great curly hair genes!

redcelticcurls
March 26th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Thank you, RCC! I do like the fact that it is a simpler style.

Harder how?

Harder to find a comfortable updo, but still look "manly" or at least not "girly" if that is what the guy is looking for...

tomm
March 26th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I think that that is a very interesting question, RCC - worth its own thread. :) So, I start one; let's see what we find out.

DavidN
March 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM
How did I miss this thread anyway, Tomm!:surprise: Congratulations on using that hair stick, and your curls are as rocking cool as ever! One of these days, I will have to try too!

tomm
March 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Thank you, David! - Yes, you will have to try; it was such a RUSH to get it right!

I hope your hair is doing well.

whatevergirl
March 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
WoW...I am sooo impressed Tomm!!http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc263/whatevergirlspix/way2go9rw.gif

I am sooo behind on these boards, I nearly missed this!:mad:

tomm
March 28th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Thank you, whatevergirl! It gets easier all the time. A good thing; this is going to be an essential skin come Summer. There is no way I am going to go out in the heat and humidity here with hair all over my neck!

Gylfi
March 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Apparently I missed this thread, too. Congratulations tomm. I also just successfully used my first hair stick today. I wanted to try a bun, so I went outside and broke a stick in half and then created some makeshift hairsticks out of it in 5 minutes...with a swiss army knife and a file :p

http://i29.tinypic.com/2re19jk.jpg

tomm
March 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you, Gylfi! And congratulations to you - that bun and the hair sticks you made look great!

Liluri
March 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
That looks awesome Tomm, the back of your neck will thank you in the heat :)

tomm
March 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you, Liluri! The Southeastern United States specializes in high heat/high humidity in the Summer - so I am REALLY thankful for this.

Neoma
March 28th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Great job, Tomm. It's definitely a French twist. I think it looks fabulous and, as several people have mentioned, surprisingly masculine.

You have lovely curls. I can understand why you might want to tame the whispies in hot weather, but, for appearance sake, they actually look really great untamed IMHO.:flower:

Celogrl
March 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Great job! It looks like you have your technique down pat. The first hairstick 'do' is always the worst!:cheese:

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Congrats!!!
And sorry for your incoming obsession with new hairtoys.
NOT MY FAULT!!
:P

tomm
March 29th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Thank you, Neoma - you set my mind at ease. In milder weather, I will let the whispies be free. :)

tomm
March 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Thank you so much, Celogrl. I still can't rely on getting it right on the first attempt, but I am practicing so that by Summer it will be automatic (I hope!).

tomm
March 29th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Thank you, Nynaeve - I promise you, I will not hold you responsible for MY hair stick obsession. My DW's obsession, however ...

She insisted on going hair stick window-shopping last night - that IS your fault, right? :p

Neoma
March 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Apparently I missed this thread, too. Congratulations tomm. I also just successfully used my first hair stick today. I wanted to try a bun, so I went outside and broke a stick in half and then created some makeshift hairsticks out of it in 5 minutes...with a swiss army knife and a file :p

Gylfi, I love that. Not only does your updo look quite "manly," but there's a manly story behind it, as well.

Gumball
March 29th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Right on, tomm! It looks great and I'm really happy you're getting the hang of it!

levelek
March 29th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I missed this too the first time around... well done tomm!! It's looking great, I can't even do that bun!

And Gylfi that's pretty cool! Just make sure you file those sticks well ;)

aprilmay
March 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Wearing long hair up in the heat is a must unless you need to wear a sun hat and then a braid is great.

missy60
March 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I am so jealous now I think Im going to the Chinese restaurant tonight so Im going to pick up some chopsticks and give them a try. I thought the french twist would be hard to get to hold so I was going to try a bun but after seeing your I might go with the twist.

tomm
March 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Thank you, Gumball!

I looked at your photo page; WOW! I look forward to the time when I have enough length to try some of those buns.

tomm
March 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Thank you, levelek! You might have a little too much length for what works for me :)

tomm
March 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Sun hats are a must for me here in the Southeastern USA, aprilmay. I may have to be creative to find an arrangment that both keeps the hair off my neck and works with a hat.

tomm
March 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Good luck finding a nice set of chopsticks, Missy60. I look forward to reading about how you did. I am sure you will be successful.

walkinglady
April 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Great job on your hair tomm, it looks great!

Gumball
April 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Thank you, Gumball!

I looked at your photo page; WOW! I look forward to the time when I have enough length to try some of those buns.

Thanks! The time will come before you know it. Then you won't be able to go without doing something. Haha. :eek:

Lady Lilya
October 12th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Did you ever find a solution for the fly-aways?

I like those clips that you bend and they snap open and closed. I have no idea what they are called. They come in good manly colors, like different metals or tortoise-shell.

easternsunrise
October 13th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Yay...I remember my first hair stick success!:cheese: