PDA

View Full Version : What is this? Should I flat iron so I can see what's going on?

jane_marie
November 5th, 2019, 06:49 PM
I had a funky cut done just before I decided to grow my hair out. It was heavily layered and heavily razored. I didn't notice anything weird a few months ago but I've been taking length shots for a bit and now I keep seeing a big spot on my right side of the back of my head that either has a weird wave or has been chopped entirely out. :(

I'm thinking of straightening it so I can figure out what I'm working with.

Here are my length checks. What I'm talking about is circled.

https://i.imgur.com/vWkeluE.png

For reference, here it is without the circles.

https://i.imgur.com/s6S21Du.jpg
Does that look like a spot where my wave goes in or where there is a chunk gone? It could maybe be from the way I always wear my hair. Either way I'm really perplexed by it.

Should I flat iron so I can see what's happening? I haven't flat ironed in awhile but I really want to know what is happening back there. It wasn't in the first shot so I'm pretty suspicious...

Kat
November 5th, 2019, 07:00 PM
I would think you could just grab a section of that hair, and hold it up next to a section of the hair that doesn't look like that, and see if it is shorter?

Is it possible that hair there just grows more slowly? I once went to my hairdresser after not having a trim for a while, and she told me she cut 3" more off the right side than the left side to make it even-- and no, I don't think it was because she'd cut my hair unevenly the previous time! (Apparently I am "right-haired"??)

jane_marie
November 5th, 2019, 07:07 PM
I would think you could just grab a section of that hair, and hold it up next to a section of the hair that doesn't look like that, and see if it is shorter?

Is it possible that hair there just grows more slowly? I once went to my hairdresser after not having a trim for a while, and she told me she cut 3" more off the right side than the left side to make it even-- and no, I don't think it was because she'd cut my hair unevenly the previous time! (Apparently I am "right-haired"??)

You would think so... I've tried that though (last month upon noticing it) and there were at least enough part of it that were even that I didn't notice.

I suppose it is possible that that section just doesn't grow as fast but if that's the case it almost looks like that part hasn't grown at all since the first picture. :(

Kalamazoo
November 5th, 2019, 07:15 PM
If you part your hair down the center in back & bring it all around to the front, Cousin It fashion, you can look at it in the mirror or take a selfie, without having to flat-iron it.

AmaryllisRed
November 5th, 2019, 07:20 PM
I think it's just the wave. It looks like the shorter top layer does the same thing. Just curves to the left.

jane_marie
November 5th, 2019, 07:42 PM
I think it's just the wave. It looks like the shorter top layer does the same thing. Just curves to the left.

I'm leaning toward that being the case. I just realized it doesn't look like that in the photo of my half up in my siggy. It's strange though because I can't seem to get a photo of it not doing that. :neutral:

So you think as it grows out that wave will lessen a bit?

lapis_lazuli
November 5th, 2019, 08:30 PM
Could you get a better idea for it while your hair's wet? I'm imagining your waves would be weighed down enough to tell if it's just that or an uneven hemline.

jane_marie
November 5th, 2019, 08:57 PM
Could you get a better idea for it while your hair's wet? I'm imagining your waves would be weighed down enough to tell if it's just that or an uneven hemline.

Oh my gosh that's so obvious. I can't believe I didn't think of it!

Thank you so much. I really didn't want to have to flat iron and I think just photographing it wet will show the same thing anyway!

*hug*

lapis_lazuli
November 5th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Oh my gosh that's so obvious. I can't believe I didn't think of it!

Thank you so much. I really didn't want to have to flat iron and I think just photographing it wet will show the same thing anyway!

*hug*

Hahaha no problem :o I hope you get an answer!

SleepyTangles
November 6th, 2019, 01:09 AM
My hair grows in a very whirly pattern, so it can look very wonky. When I trim my hair I double and triple check it, just because once it's dry I get all sorts of doubts.

I also suggest that you may have a shoulder blade or a part of your back muscles that sticks out more than the opposite side. The human body is always a bit asymmetric. I definitely have a shoulder slightly higher than the other.

jane_marie
November 6th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Hahaha no problem :o I hope you get an answer!

Thanks again for this suggestion. This morning I photographed while wet after washing and it looks like the taper isa even on both sides.

I'm so happy there was a solution other than flat ironing to see what was happening. Honestly I was about to cut back to APL to fix it. :neutral:

lapushka
November 6th, 2019, 11:08 AM
I think it's just how it lays; try fluffing it up especially on the right side next time you take a picture. I kind of wanted to start a whole thread on it, but it didn't seem that popular. ;) Here it is, titled "your hair is never the same":
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145752

ETA/ Look at this, for example, I seem to be able to have the same thing going on:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145752&p=3527137&viewfull=1#post3527137

jane_marie
November 6th, 2019, 12:05 PM
I think it's just how it lays; try fluffing it up especially on the right side next time you take a picture. I kind of wanted to start a whole thread on it, but it didn't seem that popular. ;) Here it is, titled "your hair is never the same":
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145752

ETA/ Look at this, for example, I seem to be able to have the same thing going on:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145752&p=3527137&viewfull=1#post3527137

That is such a helpful thread! I wish I would have seen it before I got all worked up. I might have to add a photo or two for illustration as well.

Thanks!

Nox_Inber
November 6th, 2019, 12:26 PM
My hair does this a lot. I have days where one side looks longer because of my wave pattern, or it just wants to disappear entirely lol. I have noticed that my hair gets straighter-ish the longer it gets, so as you gain length it might become a nonproblem eventually :D

lapushka
November 6th, 2019, 01:16 PM
That is such a helpful thread! I wish I would have seen it before I got all worked up. I might have to add a photo or two for illustration as well.

Thanks!

I'm glad it helped! Take LOTS of pictures. That's what we do here. You think my hair lays "properly" like on the get-go. Heck no!!! :lol: The pictures I have with gaps and hair laying in a W or some odd form... OMG. I can't count those!

jane_marie
November 6th, 2019, 01:30 PM
I'm glad it helped! Take LOTS of pictures. That's what we do here. You think my hair lays "properly" like on the get-go. Heck no!!! :lol: The pictures I have with gaps and hair laying in a W or some odd form... OMG. I can't count those!

Yeah, it's crazy how much the photos can vary. I took this one after my hair dried and that weird chuck is completely gone.

https://i.imgur.com/wpdD9je.png

I think for me it likely has to do with the way I wear my hair. For now the only way I can keep it up is a weird french twist which might be curving that side of my hair under. I guess I need to do length checks only after wash day from now on so I can really see what's happening. :shrug:

lapushka
November 6th, 2019, 03:57 PM
jane_marie, I am SO glad that got resolved!!! I mean think what you might have done otherwise (maybe snipped a bit off)... and for no reason! It looks great! :D

jane_marie
November 6th, 2019, 07:48 PM
jane_marie, I am SO glad that got resolved!!! I mean think what you might have done otherwise (maybe snipped a bit off)... and for no reason! It looks great! :D

Honestly, I was pretty close to cutting back to APL to "fix" it. Thank goodness you all stepped in and helped before that happened.

lapushka
November 7th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Honestly, I was pretty close to cutting back to APL to "fix" it. Thank goodness you all stepped in and helped before that happened.

Awesome, that is what we're all here for! :D