PDA

View Full Version : Up vs Down for Hair Growth

hennalove
November 4th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Oiy! My hair is now long enough to sit on which means anytime I am doing anything other than sedentary activity, I have it in a bun simply because it gets in the way. I think that is fairly consistent with what others are doing here. Yesterday, I stumbled upon a YouTuber who insists that the best way to wear your hair for growth is down. Note that this is for growth not hair length retention but she didn't really make a distinction. She made a rather compelling argument for not always wearing your hair up if you want to maximize growth. She has gorgeous hair and she did have a lot of very useful tips but this is the first I've heard advocating for wearing hair down. What say you all?

jane_marie
November 4th, 2019, 01:56 PM
That's kind of weird... do you have a link to the video? I'd like to see it. :)

hennalove
November 4th, 2019, 02:16 PM
That's kind of weird... do you have a link to the video? I'd like to see it. :)

Sure,

This is the first of her videos I watched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Ukt5-5OkQ leaving hair down starts at 7:45

She has a lot of videos and in all I've watched has said the secret to growing hair is leaving it down.

MusicalSpoons
November 4th, 2019, 02:22 PM
I can't watch the video right now but does she by any chance say it's because gravity helps it grow? ;)

akurah
November 4th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Up is only a problem for growth if you're putting up your hair so tight you're going to get traction alopecia.

This lady is full of crap

spidermom
November 4th, 2019, 02:34 PM
I can't wear it down very often; it bugs the hell out of me tickling my neck and getting in my face.

AmaryllisRed
November 4th, 2019, 02:42 PM
She says her hair is the proof that she knows what she's talking about. Um its pretty, but it's like waist length and she said her ends are 10-15 years old. Yeah that's not fast.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 4th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Sure,

This is the first of her videos I watched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Ukt5-5OkQ leaving hair down starts at 7:45

She has a lot of videos and in all I've watched has said the secret to growing hair is leaving it down.

Only because using elastics to bun it causes damage - but there are so many protective safe ways to wear it up - and the ends get protected that way, too.

TreesOfEternity
November 4th, 2019, 03:10 PM
"The tools that we use to pull our hair back, like elastics, can be very very harsh on the hair". She basically says that wearing hair down is better than using elastics which I agree. Obviously using gentle hair accesories to make protective styles is way better than wearing hair down, but she doesn't consider that option.

lapushka
November 4th, 2019, 03:18 PM
I think she doesn't know that much about long hair, not the way we do, like wearing it in updos with sticks and such. She has it styled, so there is that and it also isn't that long!

She has a few good tips, but... oh well. She is also pushing product! Like it says in the comments, it's like one big Briogeo ad.

I don't think it is an exemplary video at all. But that's my opinion.

MusicalSpoons
November 4th, 2019, 03:33 PM
We could all go over and (nicely) spread the gospel of hairtoys ... :grin:

(Kidding. Kinda. :p)

hennalove
November 4th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Thanks ladies!

I think what really got me was that she was saying to wear your hair down as much as possible for fast hair growth not only on this video but several of her videos. It's the first time I actually heard that recommendation so of course I'm thinking maybe I'm doing things wrong. In fairness, if you look to Asian cultures many of the women have super long hair and it's always down so on first appearances her advice made sense. What I found even more interesting was she mentioned being in Canada and as a Canadian with long hair, I would not wear it down exposed to winter elements but that might be just me. I just know even if I could get faster growth which I very much doubt at my age by leaving it down, I still couldn't function well on a daily basis with my hair down all the time. So it's still a trade off. I'm going to err on the side of caution and continue to wear it up for the most part.

hennalove
November 4th, 2019, 04:09 PM
I think she doesn't know that much about long hair, not the way we do, like wearing it in updos with sticks and such. She has it styled, so there is that and it also isn't that long!

She has a few good tips, but... oh well. She is also pushing product! Like it says in the comments, it's like one big Briogeo ad.

I don't think it is an exemplary video at all. But that's my opinion.

She has a lot of videos but not all pushing a product so I don't think that's it. Perhaps she is more misinformed than anything because some of her advice is spot. A lot of folks with long hair don't use elastics especially to hold buns either. It's just this pushing the idea that your hair grows faster if left down that got to me especially since it is a re-occuring theme in her videos.

desisparkles
November 4th, 2019, 04:16 PM
k when she says her ends were at her scalp 10/15 years ago, i'd bet my house that's not true.

until i joined this forum I had no clue about tracking my hair growth and I'm guessing she doesn't either that's why she threw out that extreme number.

I think her hair is lovely and I have only heard good things about briogeo - maybe one day I'll try it.

I agree bad hair ties are worse than down tho, lots and lots of women wear their hair down where I live and it's at extreme lengths and looks pretty damn healthy and gorgeous to me - granted I'm not inspecting their hair either tho. *plus for all I know they are wearing their hair up the other 99% of the time*

I know for my fine texture -
down = tangles and knotting in the wind so I wear mine up mostly and always have.

SpottedBackson
November 4th, 2019, 05:17 PM
I think updos help you grow longer hair. If you left it down all the time you'd be so irritated by it getting in the way everywhere you'd probably cut it off into a bob or a pixie. Not to mention the mechanical damage that rubbing against seats/clothes/backpacks. Hair sticks are supposed t be very gentle on hair.

lapis_lazuli
November 4th, 2019, 06:34 PM
I think what really got me was that she was saying to wear your hair down as much as possible for fast hair growth not only on this video but several of her videos. It's the first time I actually heard that recommendation so of course I'm thinking maybe I'm doing things wrong. In fairness, if you look to Asian cultures many of the women have super long hair and it's always down so on first appearances her advice made sense. What I found even more interesting was she mentioned being in Canada and as a Canadian with long hair, I would not wear it down exposed to winter elements but that might be just me. I just know even if I could get faster growth which I very much doubt at my age by leaving it down, I still couldn't function well on a daily basis with my hair down all the time. So it's still a trade off. I'm going to err on the side of caution and continue to wear it up for the most part.

Oh God, no. As much as I love our winters...my hair doesn't need to be any part of that :lol:

As for this video... I get her point about reducing strain on the hair by avoiding those pulling styles, but there're lots of ways to make gentle updo's that won't damage your hair.

The best way to grow your hair long is by retaining length, and the best way to retain length is by protecting the ends in a bun. Wearing hair down does nothing at best, and causes breakage at worst.

Ligeia Noire
November 4th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Man.... even using elastics would be more proactive to let hair grow than letting it down all the time...The only downside to wear buns all the time is the weight after a certain length but with hair that short, I do not see the issue?
It would be nice if forks, sticks, even claw clips made their way into the mainstream, so many people would have such an easier time with them.
I see all these girls and boys with their hair all matted into a top bun that would benefit from a simple clip or stick, sigh....

Andthetalltrees
November 4th, 2019, 07:42 PM
I think updos help you grow longer hair. If you left it down all the time you'd be so irritated by it getting in the way everywhere you'd probably cut it off into a bob or a pixie. Not to mention the mechanical damage that rubbing against seats/clothes/backpacks. Hair sticks are supposed t be very gentle on hair.

That's not true at all, I find having my hair down and "in the way" as a sort of comfort in a way. I despite wearing my hair UP more than down, if I had to wear it up 24/7 I'd cut it off.

That being said I've always worn my hair down the majority of the time and I average above normal hair growth, I don't think there's anything but correlation there. Some people think wearing it up makes it grow faster, some think leaving it down does the exact same and in the end hair is going to grow no matter what so you can make whatever belief you want :cool:

Dark40
November 4th, 2019, 08:39 PM
I can wear mine down very often. My hair grows better that way. Because, every time I put my hair up in a soft scrunchie, and take it out I find some broke hairs. So, I agree with wearing your hair down it grows better.

The-Young-Maid
November 4th, 2019, 10:15 PM
I can't wear my hair up. I just can't. Updos cause too much pain and will BREAK my hair. Yes. This is a fact for me. Doesn't matter how often I change buns. My hair is just too fine to hold up it's own monstrous weight. So I only ever wear it loose or braided. But that doesn't mean it grows faster.

If my hair is going to break/split somewhere I'd prefer it to be at the ends not midshaft.

I'm more surprised about her throwing out "10-15 years" for her ends... bruh what? :confused:

paulownia
November 5th, 2019, 01:02 AM

I couldn't help smiling!;) Waist long hair and " it isn't that long":D it can only happen on LHC! You guys are just wonderful:laugh:

Ylva
November 5th, 2019, 05:34 AM
I haven't watched the video, but the comments in this thread give me a good idea of what it contained and what her claims were.

I think my hair somehow magically "grew faster" prior to me becoming "hair aware", but that's not because of how I wore it but because I was so oblivious to my hair and its length. ;) I mostly wore it in a braid and would love to do so now but I suck at braiding myself, and I admit that in the winter my hair is better off not rubbing against all the heavy winter clothing. Like pretty much everyone here, I agree that how you wear your hair won't make a difference in growth speed.

lapushka
November 5th, 2019, 06:17 AM
I couldn't help smiling!;) Waist long hair and " it isn't that long":D it can only happen on LHC! You guys are just wonderful:laugh:

Yes thankfully you guys know what I mean. ;) :p

paulownia
November 5th, 2019, 07:16 AM
Yes thankfully you guys know what I mean. ;) :p
Good old LHC-itis;)