PDA

View Full Version : Hair sticks and type 4 hair

MagusBride
November 4th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Does anyone with type 4 hair use hair sticks? How do you use them and keep them in? I couldn't find much information about hair sticks and type-4 hair specifically.

lapushka
November 4th, 2019, 01:44 PM
I haven't come across a type 4 that uses hairsticks before, so I would not know. The only way to tell is to try. But your hair does need to have a lot of length to it, especially if it's thick. Maybe on a blow-out or stretched style, it would be better?

BerrySara
November 4th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Does anyone with type 4 hair use hair sticks? How do you use them and keep them in? I couldn't find much information about hair sticks and type-4 hair specifically.

Yes, there are those with type 4 hair that use hair stick. I just recently noticed a review on WEII's Etsy shop by someone with beautiful type 4 hair using a hair stick. See link - If you scroll down slightly you will see her review picture https://www.etsy.com/listing/678757810/apple-berry-delight-longer-length?show_sold_out_detail=1

Also, I don't have type 4 but I do have 3b/c hair and I use hair sticks.
I believe our LHC member blackgothicdoll also has type 4 hair and uses hair sticks.

So you definitely can, its just a matter of having enough length and if you enjoy wearing them. The WEII sticks are shaped such that they stay in place due to the "humps" along the stick.

blackgothicdoll
November 4th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Yes, there are those with type 4 hair that use hair stick. I just recently noticed a review on WEII's Etsy shop by someone with beautiful type 4 hair using a hair stick. See link - If you scroll down slightly you will see her review picture https://www.etsy.com/listing/678757810/apple-berry-delight-longer-length?show_sold_out_detail=1

Also, I don't have type 4 but I do have 3b/c hair and I use hair sticks.
I believe our LHC member blackgothicdoll also has type 4 hair and uses hair sticks.

So you definitely can, its just a matter of having enough length and if you enjoy wearing them. The WEII sticks are shaped such that they stay in place due to the "humps" along the stick.

yaaay someone remembered me :D

OP, how long is your hair?

I find that hairsticks work best when hair is stretched - I live in braidouts, so may hair is always stretched. The older the braidout, the easier it is to use a stick. I can also use them very easily when my hair is flatironed, but of course I won't recommend doing that all the time!

I've seen other type 4s who wear their hair in minitwists use sticks with those. I would like to try that when my hair is longer.

For me, the thinner the stick the better it works, as thick ones are really hard to get through my dense hair. Metal forks are really good. And when my hair doesn't want to go into a bun i can do a little twist with a flexi and keep it up that way, claw clips work for that as well. Lots of possibilities!

YvetteVarie
November 5th, 2019, 12:25 AM
Autobotsattack also uses hairsticks but she's relaxed.

I have no experience with hairsticks so I'll just lurk

lapushka
November 5th, 2019, 04:38 AM
yaaay someone remembered me :D

OP, how long is your hair?

I find that hairsticks work best when hair is stretched - I live in braidouts, so may hair is always stretched. The older the braidout, the easier it is to use a stick. I can also use them very easily when my hair is flatironed, but of course I won't recommend doing that all the time!

I've seen other type 4s who wear their hair in minitwists use sticks with those. I would like to try that when my hair is longer.

For me, the thinner the stick the better it works, as thick ones are really hard to get through my dense hair. Metal forks are really good. And when my hair doesn't want to go into a bun i can do a little twist with a flexi and keep it up that way, claw clips work for that as well. Lots of possibilities!

Maybe aluminum sticks are great for you? Quattro does them, they have their basics and they are great. I use almost nothing else but aluminum 2-prong forks.

MusicalSpoons
November 5th, 2019, 07:21 AM
On the subject of thinner sticks, Ketylos might be good. Also MapleBurl, HairJems, Carnival Mefisto, Lilla Rose, and loads of thin metal ones from various makers on Etsy.

Thin-tined forks you could find from MapleBurl, Over The Hawaiian Moon, Quattro as mentioned, 60th Street, Cobra Luxe, Lilla Rose ... hmm, any others?

(I can't believe I'm including LR with some illustrious makers, but they're cheap - well, the hairsticks are anyway, can't remember about the forks - and sturdy enough at shorter lengths.)