PDA

View Full Version : Least damaging type of hair tie?

MagusBride
November 3rd, 2019, 10:45 PM
What is the least damaging type of hair tie one can use for frizzy, dry, curly hair that gets caught on things easily? I like to wear buns daily as a protective style, but want to use the least damaging type of hair tie possible. Thanks.

Joules
November 4th, 2019, 12:22 AM
Why do you need hairtie for buns? You don't do those messy bird's nest buns, do you? Cause they're damaging no matter what.

About hairties: silk scrunchies and Invisibobbles ("telephone cord" hair ties) are the safest.

Begemot
November 4th, 2019, 02:09 AM
Seconding Joules :thumbsup:

Tinyponies
November 4th, 2019, 02:19 AM
Not sure if your hair is long enough for sticks or forks at 16 inches and ii/iii? Is that about collarbone length?
The ties mentioned above are good, but yeah the sooner you can get away from ties altogether the better if you’re wanting to maximise protection.

Panthera
November 4th, 2019, 02:19 AM
If you don't like hair toys you could try spin pins, they are definitely less damaging option for buns than hair ties

Kalamazoo
November 4th, 2019, 05:32 AM
Maybe try a knee high (sock) that looks like regular panty hose (when worn as a sock), & tie it around once? I'm talking about hosiery sold at Walmart for 50 cents a pair. I think I read that tip when I was reading about "pineappling".

eresh
November 4th, 2019, 06:42 AM
I use these mini elastics for the end of my braid (no iron, terry cloth material)
https://www.zenner.nl/product/10x-elastieken-badstof/

https://i.imgur.com/m8aB1Ral.jpg

And if I do a ponytail or a sockbun, I use cut off "rings" of pantyhose :o
You can decide what thickness works best.

https://i.imgur.com/vvaNYiGl.jpg

But for buns I always use sticks, forks or Flexi's.
Unless it's a sockbun, to secure the hair covering the donut.

sailormars
November 4th, 2019, 11:01 AM
I use silk scrunchies that I got on amazon. They're the light pink color ones. I have dry hair as well and I found the silk ones are really gentle on my hair especially my ends

soldierssong
November 4th, 2019, 12:17 PM
I use really wide cloth elastic ones for my braids, but honestly, if you're doing buns every day ( i do too) then I recommend bobby pins, claw clips or even pencils.

Reyn127
November 4th, 2019, 12:31 PM
I use these mini elastics for the end of my braid (no iron, terry cloth material)

I like using the same ones as eresh uses on the ends of her braids, but the larger diameter version so it can be used for a ponytail as well. They are fairly soft, very stretchy, and if my hair does wrap around it, it doesn’t tangle as badly as other things.

Pantyhose works very nicely, but for me it stretched out too fast.

The telephone-cord type of hair ties were a disaster for me personally.

jane_marie
November 4th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Like Reyn I had had some disasters happen with the telephone cord looking ones. When I need to bun in a hustle without a stick I use silk or satin scrunchies and don't find them to be the least bit damaging.

Ylva
November 4th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Same here regarding telephone cords. I only dare to use them to tie braid ends, no further up than that.

Groovy Granny
November 4th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I use the phone cord ties all the time for ponytails; small/thin for low/loose and the thicker kind for more secure....and have had no issues with my fine/wispy silver :shrug:

Then I have the 'no damage ties', ribbons, knit ties, scrunchies....all for different options.... some just last better than others but none do harm to my hair with how I use them.

When used for a bun it starts with a ponytail, then I do a Nautilus which is self secured.

Loose/messy buns secured with a hair tie though = tangles and snarls and damaged hair :thud: :tmi:

My most comfy and 'go to' ties recently are the small/thin phone cords; very helpful for a sensitive scalp :heart:

Arciela
November 5th, 2019, 06:16 PM
I use a hair stick for my buns...its so much better then a hair tie!

If I have to use one..I use a satin scrunchie :flower:

SleepyTangles
November 6th, 2019, 05:51 AM
I like both fabric-covered elastics, elastic ribbons and InvisiBobble.
Invisibobble has the best grip, and I actually always carry a slim chrome one always at wrist: it can pass for a regular bracelet and I just canīt stand when fabric hair-ties gets wet while washing hands. But actually, the grip is so good that I fear it puts too much stress over my roots, so I use it casually: for a gym session, or to tie back my hair during lunch, or any emergency.
Elastic ribbons and fabric-covered elastics are not foolproof, sometimes hair can slip. But they donīt pull and donīt stress mechanically the roots, so I prefer them if I have to do an updo or a braid. The former kind is probably slightly better than the latter, but I find little difference.
Satiny scrunchies are gentle (grip varies depending on the elastic underneath, so from brand to brand and piece to piece), but they are more decorative than strictly functional. I like then on buns but not braids.

Barrettes can also be a gentle option for a low ponytail :)

Positivitea
November 6th, 2019, 06:34 AM
I am curious why some of you had bad experiences with the telephone-cord ones. I use these every day, but now I think about it, sometimes when I take them out there can definitely be a good couple of hairs in there... So maybe it is tugging on the hair.

Of course it is not a type of hair tie but I think hair sticks are the least damaging.

Ylva
November 6th, 2019, 06:53 AM
I am curious why some of you had bad experiences with the telephone-cord ones. I use these every day, but now I think about it, sometimes when I take them out there can definitely be a good couple of hairs in there... So maybe it is tugging on the hair.

I do think they are, of course, less damaging than regular hair ties with metal bits or similar, but they have a tendency of tangling in my hair if I take them high up.

Seeshami
November 6th, 2019, 07:06 AM
I have pony os coming in the mail. Will update if I remember!

Kalamazoo
November 6th, 2019, 09:44 AM

Um, ur, I beg to differ. Barrettes have cut my hair as though they were scissors. Perhaps the ones I had were of low quality, but I've avoided them like the plague for half a century now.

Linden
November 6th, 2019, 04:41 PM
When I braid my hair for sleeping I use sections I cut off a pair of tights (the thin see-through kind). I cut a tube 2-3" long off one leg and use it like an elastic. I haven't noticed any damage on my hair.

Groovy Granny
November 6th, 2019, 04:52 PM
I like both fabric-covered elastics, elastic ribbons and InvisiBobble.
Invisibobble has the best grip, and I actually always carry a slim chrome one always at wrist: it can pass for a regular bracelet and I just canīt stand when fabric hair-ties gets wet while washing hands. But actually, the grip is so good that I fear it puts too much stress over my roots, so I use it casually: for a gym session, or to tie back my hair during lunch, or any emergency.
Elastic ribbons and fabric-covered elastics are not foolproof, sometimes hair can slip. But they donīt pull and donīt stress mechanically the roots, so I prefer them if I have to do an updo or a braid. The former kind is probably slightly better than the latter, but I find little difference.
Satiny scrunchies are gentle (grip varies depending on the elastic underneath, so from brand to brand and piece to piece), but they are more decorative than strictly functional. I like then on buns but not braids.

Um, ur, I beg to differ. Barrettes have cut my hair as though they were scissors. Perhaps the ones I had were of low quality, but I've avoided them like the plague for half a century now.

I use them all the time for half ups and ponytails,and my hair is fine/wispy silver.
I have no damage from them at all because I make sure they are FRENCH clips.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/127949800/the-genuine-french-barrette-clip-vs-all?ref=shop_home_active_1&cns=1

This shop has high quality barrettes, and I have bought a fair share of gemmed barrette minis on Amazon.

YMMV :shrug:

I love the phone cord ties; small for looser ponytails and thicker for firmer hold.

Cloth covered and ribbon ties are used now and then, but I really like the small knit ones for my sleep braids.

Scrunchies are a favorite of mine for many styles ~ thermal/cotton/velvet/satin.

Kalamazoo
November 6th, 2019, 06:27 PM
I have no damage from them at all because I make sure they are FRENCH clips.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/127949800/the-genuine-french-barrette-clip-vs-all?ref=shop_home_active_1&cns=1

This shop has high quality barrettes, and I have bought a fair share of gemmed barrette minis on Amazon.

Wow! That just might make all the difference in the world! Thanks, GG!

jane_marie
November 6th, 2019, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the link GG! For some reason I really like French barrettes now. I wonder why....:hmm:

Zesty
November 7th, 2019, 08:23 AM

I use these too for braids, but I couldn't ever find a pack that was all black so I have a bunch of funny colors. They work well for the purpose.

If I want to do a ponytail I use a velvet scrunchie.

I wouldn't know where to begin making a *bun* with an elastic of any sort. I use sticks or clips for that.

Kalamazoo
November 7th, 2019, 10:24 AM
I use 1-bump bobby pins (They seem less grabby to me than the regular 3-bumpers.) & the EZ Comb look-alikes from Walmart. (I tried the cheapest ones off from eBay, but their teeth weren't long enough to keep the combs in my hair.)

MagusBride
November 7th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Thank you for so many replies! I've actually decided to stop using hair ties altogether, because they were tearing off the ends of my hair and I don't want to continue taking the risk for convenience. Instead, I've started using duck bill clips. It will take time to get used to it, but they're easy enough to use on a daily basis and don't break off any hair when I remove them carefully (they're the slippery silver kind).

Kalamazoo
November 7th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Can you show us a picture? I'm curious!

MagusBride
November 7th, 2019, 01:16 PM
All I did was the style pictured on the bottom-right corner of the photo below.

https://i.postimg.cc/mDZvgJ78/51-hyrk-Lo-YL-SY355.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

MusicalSpoons
November 7th, 2019, 01:36 PM
All I did was the style pictured on the bottom-right corner of the photo below.

https://i.postimg.cc/mDZvgJ78/51-hyrk-Lo-YL-SY355.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Nice! Welcome to the world of hair toys ;)

Kalamazoo
November 7th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Very lovely. Quick to do, too!

Seeshami
November 7th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Pony o has arrived.

Initial observations

It is a silicone covered metal bit that "pinches"
There are little nubbins on the inside.

The upping of a pony is much easier as there is only one loop through.
The squishing to pinch seems fine.
The bending of the edges under to created to loops may be the most damaging possibility of the contraption. More study is needed.

The strength of upness will be tested tomorrow at work and yoga. More news to come.

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the enabling Seeshami ;) LOL

I bought a PONY-O (small), a bling ring to go over it, and their bun bar.
I hope I like them and can't wait to see how you make out :cheer:

I have other bun makers and this one is similar to what I have, but it looks a bit gentler and easier to use; plus the pony-o will give me some volume hopefully.

It seems like a handy set to throw in your purse :shrug:

Seeshami
November 8th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the enabling Seeshami ;) LOL

I bought a PONY-O (small), a bling ring to go over it, and their bun bar.
I hope I like them and can't wait to see how you make out :cheer:

I have other bun makers and this one is similar to what I have, but it looks a bit gentler and easier to use; plus the pony-o will give me some volume hopefully.

It seems like a handy set to throw in your purse :shrug:

Oh my Darling you should have waited. I am so sorry. So terribly sorry.

Work day and a Yoga review of Pony O.

They weight of my hair drags the O down and maximum upness and gravity defining high pony is most certainly not happening.
No pinching or facelift pulling hairs that annoy scalps.
After playing and fiddlefaddiling I am not so sure it is metal? I am not sure at all as to what black magic makes the stiffness. I am not yet satisfied with the results or the experiments and before I cut one in half for science I have a few more days of curiosity to satisfy before I lose my ability to contain my destructive need to KNOW WHAT MAGIC (or not magic) THIS IS.

All current experiments have been conducted with the "wide" model. I believe I understand the "thin" model is the newer version. Old verse new will be experimented before dissection investigations.

I think the figure 8 around the stick wrap the length around the base is called a Chinese bun. Pony O is not Chinese bun approved by the naughty mess science institute. the current rating of mess containmentability for the pony o is a meh out of FFS are you kidding me?

No Mess was harmed in the science of this experiment. Yet.

The Naughty Mess says, "I actually give it a get this crap off of me out of do you want me to kill you in your sleep rating."

No one wants to know about your jail breaks and desire to be free range, non gmo, rampaging, holistic, and homicidal Mr. Mess. Or would it be... never mind just keep your snaggles off the keyboard.

Edit:

All Experiments were done with a combination of bun. Current experiment is pony only.

Seeshami
November 8th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Maximum uppness failure has been achieved.

I was sitting, cutting my nails and filing them. Nothing active.

Groovy Granny
November 8th, 2019, 09:30 PM
LOL ~ no worries; this is on me!
Time will tell....my poor, wispy, short, head of hair will never measure up to the gorgeous length and thickness of your 'Mess' :bowtome:

I agree their bun is our 'Chinese bun' for sure :thumbsup: though it looks like it could be more secure with this bar vs a stick in my hair.

The other bun makers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX9HV46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I have are a stiff metal that work one way only, and curl up just looking at them :doh:
They can be tough to use some days, so this one looked to be more gentle/flexible for whipping up a donut bun.

The pony-o will be another story; my hair isn't heavy...and I wondered how it would hold yours.
Though God knows with my hair tie/scrunchy collection I did NOT need to try another version, but it humors this old bird :lol:

Mine will arrive this week :mail:

Natalia_A00
November 9th, 2019, 10:02 AM
Scrunchies (the ones that were popular in the 80s) but I have too much hair and they don't work very well when I'm trying to do a ponytail, it's like they don't retain my hair well.

The-Young-Maid
November 9th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Anything without metal and with a wider surface area is probably your best bet. I use satin and velvet scrunchies from Amazon because they have lots of cute colors and both came in packs of 40. So yes I currently have over 80 scrunchies.:rolling:

Seeshami
November 9th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Update!

Guess who didn't follow the directions! This dumb girl. Experiments will be adjusted accordingly. Pony o sent me a review email with instructions on it. LOL!

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Scrunchies (the ones that were popular in the 80s) but I have too much hair and they don't work very well when I'm trying to do a ponytail, it's like they don't retain my hair well.

Try using 2 at a time; that seems to give a former hold.
I have done that with both the small and regular sizes with good results.

Anything without metal and with a wider surface area is probably your best bet. I use satin and velvet scrunchies from Amazon because they have lots of cute colors and both came in packs of 40. So yes I currently have over 80 scrunchies.:rolling:
I LOVE mine from Amazon; just got satin and velvet :heart:

And yes, my collection is extensive as well...plus I crochet them from scrap sock yarns to make a set when I wear my Birkenstock clogs :lol:

Update!

Guess who didn't follow the directions! This dumb girl. Experiments will be adjusted accordingly. Pony o sent me a review email with instructions on it. LOL!

LOL it happens.....looking forward to your results :popcorn:

You DO have a lot of hair; I haven't seen any reviews with the same stats TBH....so that will be a real test of their product for sure.
IF it works, you should send in a video review...or written....just saying ;)

Joyful Mystery
November 9th, 2019, 03:49 PM
I’ve developed a bit of a scrunchie addiction this year, lol. I use them when I wear my hair in a low ponytail and to secure the ends of my braids.

Groovy Granny
November 9th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Yup, I love them for comfy ponytails, and to decorate/secure donut buns :heart:

Groovy Granny
November 12th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Update!

So how did you make out? :popcorn:

Mine came and I like it :thumbsup:

I bought the 'cinnamon' color, but it is more of a dark taupe vs a reddish color :hmm:

The pony-o is very easy to use and has amazing hold; comfy but secure.

The bun bar works better then other bun bars I have, probably because it is moldable vs other very hard metals that bend in only one direction and you must fight with the coiling action:slap:

The bling ring is very nice, but you must fiddle with your pony circ to be sure it stays on; I can also use it for a bun decoration.

I am happy with my purchase and would buy it again.

Of course my hair is fine/wispy so for other hair types..... YMMV :flower:

Seeshami
November 12th, 2019, 09:09 PM
I watched videos I tried tips. No dice. Still creeps down my hair because he has no texture other than jerk face.

The naughty mess says, "well, you could have Skyped them"

...... Yes, their customer service does offer Skype lessons and while I am direction following impaired I am pretty sure one out of the many time I could have figured it okay right at least once. But, because we found a good car replacement for me, 12 months ahead of plan, I cannot throw away $20 on experiments and cut one up. So sadly returned they are like a normal person instead of a mad scientist.

Groovy Granny
November 12th, 2019, 09:36 PM
That's too bad, but not surprising with all your hair; they need to come up with something that can handle longer/heavier lengths!

Seeshami
November 13th, 2019, 05:19 PM
They are in Conifer. So I could always go for a field trip if they asked me.

Normally when I drop the "my hair is calf length" mic people go NO HUH IT IS NOT.

And I defiantly drop the bun and try really hard not to snarkily say well it's only attached to my head so you'd guess I would know.

Alexandrina
November 19th, 2019, 02:21 PM
I'm sorry the pony o didn't work for you Seeshami! I saw one for sale recently and was debating trying it, but if it slips and pulls, no way.

I was actually considering it for trying to sleep with it, since scrunchies, clips, pins, etc, pull and yank since I am a restless sleeper, and I end up removing them halfway through the night.

One day I will find something!

jane_marie
November 19th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Has anyone tried anything like this as an alternative to hair ties?

https://i.etsystatic.com/6012994/r/il/79b653/1083825603/il_794xN.1083825603_apfi.jpg

I like the look of them and I've been thinking about trying them out. my length to thickness ration makes all but three buns an unreliable pain but I'd still like something sleek and non-damaging to secure braids. :neutral:

Groovy Granny
November 19th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry the pony o didn't work for you Seeshami! I saw one for sale recently and was debating trying it, but if it slips and pulls, no way.

I was actually considering it for trying to sleep with it, since scrunchies, clips, pins, etc, pull and yank since I am a restless sleeper, and I end up removing them halfway through the night.

My Pony-O does not slip, and because it is so secure I believe it would pull if worn to bed.
This is not something that would be comfortable for sleep unless you used it in a top knot....possibly ....I cannot do top knots period so I can't answer that.

My sleep is undisturbed with twin English braids from the ears down; as I turn I unconsciously move them side to side behind me.

0xalis
November 19th, 2019, 04:49 PM
I prefer claw clips all the way, even for ponytails. It's best to find one that is seamless or at the very least has relatively smooth seams. Cheap plastic ones with obvious seams that are a bit scratchy when you run your finger over them can rip your hair :(
In terms of actual hair ties, definitely silky/satiny scrunchies, no competition.

MusicalSpoons
November 19th, 2019, 04:56 PM

This might be a really stupid question, but even satin scrunchies? Have you tried putting them round one time less so they're looser? You'd probably have to do that just before you lay down though, and it might fall out depending on how loose :hmm:

cjk
November 19th, 2019, 09:21 PM

I like the look of them and I've been thinking about trying them out. my length to thickness ration makes all but three buns an unreliable pain but I'd still like something sleek and non-damaging to secure braids. :neutral:

No, but I'm in love with the look. I'm familiar with the hairglove, marketed mostly to motorcycle riders. But what is this? I'm not even sure how to structure a search.

Nineteenbirds
November 19th, 2019, 10:20 PM

I would love to know where to get one of those. Where did the photo come from?

I thought that tying my braid off with a suede thong (left over from a craft project) would be a good idea but it kept getting tangled up in my hair. After the 3rd or 4th try I gave up. And, going way back to page 2 of this thread, any hair clip that has metal parts slices through my hair. Actually, metal flexis do the same thing. I've been using those tiny elastic bands (they look like the rubber bands that orthodontists give to people for their braces), but they're only slightly less damaging than regular elastic hair ties. So, satin scrunchies, but they just look so '80's to me.

Nineteenbirds
November 19th, 2019, 10:37 PM
I prefer claw clips all the way, even for ponytails. It's best to find one that is seamless or at the very least has relatively smooth seams. Cheap plastic ones with obvious seams that are a bit scratchy when you run your finger over them can rip your hair :(
In terms of actual hair ties, definitely silky/satiny scrunchies, no competition.

I like claw clips for half-ups but I only use Parcelona Clips (https://www.parcelonaclips.com/). They're expensive, but they're worth it.

dyna
November 19th, 2019, 11:26 PM
Problem seems to have been solved for the OP bun issue. I (being male) am a novice at buns, but the one kind I know to make, a few pins, a scrunchie, or a stick should work fine, without damaging hair. As to barrettes, the better ones have shrink-tubing (or some other padding) over the clamping metal part, to soften it. You could put your own shrink tubing (it's plastic tubing that as the name implies, can shrink) over the clamp of a cheaper one. Slide over, then heat with ideally a heat gun (an industrial-strength hair dryer), but a lighter or gas stove will work if you're careful and keep moving the heat around, and don't set it on fire, to shrink the tubing to fit.

0xalis
November 19th, 2019, 11:41 PM
Those look gorgeous, Nineteenbirds! I may invest in one when I have enough hair to use it...

Siv
November 20th, 2019, 03:19 AM
I like claw clips for half-ups but I only use Parcelona Clips (https://www.parcelonaclips.com/). They're expensive, but they're worth it.

I couldn't find shipping information on their website, do you know what the shipping price is? Though, I'm over in Europe so it's probably different... Oh well.

As for the OP question, phone cord ties work fine for me in low ponytails, but high ponytails and hairdos where I fold the hair over are a no-go. Scrunchies are my favourites, but they don't hold buns. Sometimes I use "regular" hair ties (without metal) or "regular-but-wider" hair ties. Little itty-bitty regular hair ties for securing braids.

For buns: hair claws, hair sticks, hair forks, or spin pins.

Nineteenbirds
November 20th, 2019, 02:01 PM
I couldn't find shipping information on their website, do you know what the shipping price is? Though, I'm over in Europe so it's probably different... Oh well.

I notice that the Parcelona website is down for maintenance, but I don't remember shipping as being terribly high. It does specify that they ship worldwide. I say, go for it!

Siv
November 20th, 2019, 04:21 PM
You're right, I'll try to check back in tomorrow for the shipping, hopefully they're up and running again. The onyx designs are just stunning!

jane_marie
November 20th, 2019, 07:00 PM
No, but I'm in love with the look. I'm familiar with the hairglove, marketed mostly to motorcycle riders. But what is this? I'm not even sure how to structure a search.

I would love to know where to get one of those. Where did the photo come from?

I thought that tying my braid off with a suede thong (left over from a craft project) would be a good idea but it kept getting tangled up in my hair. After the 3rd or 4th try I gave up. And, going way back to page 2 of this thread, any hair clip that has metal parts slices through my hair. Actually, metal flexis do the same thing. I've been using those tiny elastic bands (they look like the rubber bands that orthodontists give to people for their braces), but they're only slightly less damaging than regular elastic hair ties. So, satin scrunchies, but they just look so '80's to me.

It's from an etsy store. Here's a link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/VACATIONHOUSE?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=463087538

Nineteenbirds
November 20th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Thanks, jane_marie!

shterntikhl
April 23rd, 2021, 07:53 PM
I don't use any tie at all for braids, as the curly texture is enough to hold them. Hair sticks pull hair and straighten some of the curls so that it doesn't look nice when I take them out. Jaw clips have worked much better; so has tying one strand around the rest for a ponytail. But then I found a Fakkare (like a Maximas but with no teeth) that changed my life and am now trying to figure out if the teeth on the real Ficcares are going to be a problem.

fdyorhruzz
June 13th, 2024, 03:42 AM
bobby pins is best

Haziel
June 13th, 2024, 09:42 PM
I have used a round shoe lace
Wrapped around like 80 times tightly & square knoted for braid ends & only wrapped twice or thrice & square knoted for ponytails
I started using it for nerd reasons & found it was both more comfortable & less damaging

ETJ CURLS
June 13th, 2024, 11:02 PM
I lose little to no hairs at all using silky/satin scrunchies. They make them in a lot of sizes now so I have some really big ones, some regular and some small. I use them literally all the time and have not noticed any adverse effects. :D

Priska
July 20th, 2024, 02:00 AM
I wonder if these ball hairties work good with mini pigtails for long hair? Because you can just wrap the tie around the pigtails without having to pull the pigtails through the hairties many times, that really causes knots. You also get these hairties open so easily. It's a shame that it's hard to find these old fashioned hairties anywhere anymore. I find them really cute with high pigtails!

I need to make this hairdo with hairties to get the pigtails visible, mini claw clips pull my hair too far behind my head due to my head shape and hairline.
https://img.aijaa.com/t/00576/15260049.t.jpg (https://aijaa.com/ikbVo3)

TheWhiteRabbit
July 21st, 2024, 10:07 PM
@priska I’ve lost lots of hairs to those types of hair ties when I was a child

Priska
July 23rd, 2024, 05:50 AM
Oh man:( I wonder which hairtie wins this competition, I must just try myself...

femmefatale
July 23rd, 2024, 10:39 AM
https://i.ibb.co/t3ZHJDb/Whats-App-Image-2024-07-23-at-22-08-01-216c0343.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

i saw an ad on this and im curious on how this would affect hair damage wise

LadyLongLocks
July 30th, 2024, 09:39 AM
I have been using 2 metal free elastics for years. Now I combine 1 or 2 hair elastics with 1 small hair scrunchie.
I kind of weave them together.

shelomit
July 31st, 2024, 01:30 PM
For me, panty-hose-type elastics like this kind (https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-nylon-terry-hair-ties/ID=300399819-product) are perfectly serviceable. There's still noticeable compression and I'd presume they cause some degree of damage, but less so than other elastic types and without the fiddliness of ribbon/thread. I do use ribbon for some applications, though.

Priska
August 8th, 2024, 12:39 PM
My diy bobble hairtie (you really can't find these any where here) :
https://img.aijaa.com/t/00497/15264664.t.jpg (https://aijaa.com/XXLUbZ)

:lol:
I see I still need to practice, but for me this was WAY easier to loosen from half up pigtail than basic hairtie.. Not one single hair was torn off. I didn't keep it long, but basic hairtie makes nightmarish knots to my half-ups right away. With my hair even satin scrunchies make evil knots with half-ups.

PWild
October 12th, 2024, 03:16 PM

I wondered about that. As a guy, there are few options for barrettes that I would wear in public (although I'm close to throwing in the towel and just do it) but it does seem that it puts less stress on my head. The one I use now (in public) is from this place - just a basic black leather barrette with silver rivet-like things.

https://platypusmax.com/collections/mens-unisex-barrette-styles/products/black-barrette-hex

SandyBottom
October 13th, 2024, 07:26 AM
I wondered about that. As a guy, there are few options for barrettes that I would wear in public (although I'm close to throwing in the towel and just do it) but it does seem that it puts less stress on my head. The one I use now (in public) is from this place - just a basic black leather barrette with silver rivet-like things.

https://platypusmax.com/collections/mens-unisex-barrette-styles/products/black-barrette-hex

Those are really nice, but is the metal clip part of the barrette damaging? As in, are the edges sharp when the hair is compressed? Another option that might be good regardless of gender is a leather slide with a stick. I used to have one as a kid and loved it.

PWild
October 13th, 2024, 08:28 AM
Regarding damage from the metal clip, I'm not sure, but I see more stray hairs caught up in any type of elastic band I use than I do when I use the barrette.

paulownia
October 13th, 2024, 08:50 AM
I use scrunchies or banana clip all the time;)
No damage detected.