PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jamaican Black Castor Oil. vs Regular Castor Oil?

BleachedBerry
October 30th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Anyone used both?

Kalamazoo
October 31st, 2019, 02:17 AM
Yes.

For me, they tend to make my hair fall out if used on my scalp. That might not be a problem for you though, because your hair's probably curlier than mine. (Castor oil seems to work better for Hair Types 3 &4, than for 1 & 2.)

I've used the black castor oil on my eyebrows & lashes successfully, though. #1, it darkens them. #2, since those shorter hairs have such a short anagen phase, it doesn't matter if they fall out, because by the very next day, my eyebrows look fuller. I don't really notice a difference on my eyelashes, though. They just sort of generally look better, but I'm not looking closely enough to quantify that statement.

I also haven't tried the clear castor oil on my eyebrows, because I really wanted my brows to darken up & be visible. I don't like having ghost eyebrows!

MissMarmiladka
October 31st, 2019, 09:32 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Jw1NvD1bL._SY450_.jpg

I have bough this one, when my hairdresser cut off my hair way to short, but to be honest I've only tried it once. And that was 4 months ago...
It does smell very nice but I don't know how to feel about as it seems not that natural to me.
I do have a use-it-up goal for 2020 so once I will finish the bottle I will tell you about my experience with it.

BerrySara
October 31st, 2019, 10:20 AM
I have used both. I have 3b/3c hair.

I don't feel a difference between black caster oil and clear caster oil except for the fact that the black castor oil darkens my hair until next wash.
That's the only reason why I switched to clear caster oil. Also they smell a bit differently.

The difference is basically down to how its processed. The black caster oil is from burning of the caster beans and using heat to extract the oil (so the smell and color is due to burnt beans/ashes). Whereas clear or yellow caster oil is extracted from cold pressing the beans (more pure).

There is a difference in acidity of the oils but not enough for me to tell any difference in my hair. So I stick to the clear one just so it doesn't darken my hair (now that's its dyed a lighter color).