PDA

View Full Version : Should I wash my hair like an expert? [video]

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 04:58 AM
I have thought about my washing technique and wondered if I'm doing it "right", is my hair and scalp actually left dirty, could I do something differently etc. Came across this video and this looks so rough?? I imagine a hairdresser would want to be able to do their job as quickly as possible but the whole sink is shaking when she rubs the friend's hair. And she says she's not really scrubbing her length... while scrubbing her length?
So, share your thoughts and opinions on this video and hair washing techniques, all tips and advice are greatly appreciated!

Disclaimer: somewhat rough handling of hair. Hair washing starts at 1:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKiJxW1LbvY

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 05:00 AM
OT random hair thought but it gives me anxiety how her hair clogs up the sink... I don't know if I can let my hair be washed that way in a sink ever again :rolleyes:

AmberWillow
October 30th, 2019, 05:44 AM
I wonder if it's really as aggressive as it looks, she does specify using finger pads rather than finger nails... although it's a bit strange how she shampoos the whole length of the hair, I've seen some of her YouTube videos before and she says you only need to shampoo your scalp. (she also says you should be gentle with your hair...) Yeah it's a bit confusing to me. I wouldn't wash my hair like that personally, it's too fragile and I'd snap it and tangle it. I've never had any scalp problems so I don't see how my scalp could still be dirty...

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 06:03 AM
I wonder if it's really as aggressive as it looks, she does specify using finger pads rather than finger nails... although it's a bit strange how she shampoos the whole length of the hair, I've seen some of her YouTube videos before and she says you only need to shampoo your scalp. (she also says you should be gentle with your hair...) Yeah it's a bit confusing to me. I wouldn't wash my hair like that personally, it's too fragile and I'd snap it and tangle it. I've never had any scalp problems so I don't see how my scalp could still be dirty...

True, I guess the speed of the washing process just surprised me :D

lapushka
October 30th, 2019, 07:47 AM
I think her method of "wetting" aka getting it "in" with the hand is good - I do that too. How she disperses the shampoo on the scalp is also good - I do that too. To me she's a tad "fast" aka rough with it, and that rubbing the ends motion like that is totally not on. She's rubbing the scalp a liiiiitle too vigorously for my liking. I prefer to spend more time lathering and massaging, but... I massage, I don't "scrub" roughly. Her ways of getting all the nooks & crannies, I do too. Also she seems to be out of shampoo at the nape area. That is a big no-no for me. I need to *clean* my hair. LOL!

Yeah, not too bad!

lapushka
October 30th, 2019, 07:53 AM
Also, there is NOoooo way in hell I can get away with that little amount of conditioner. :lol:

But I don't think it's a bad technique; the big outline is there. I see no issue with anything. :shrug:

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 08:04 AM
Thanks for your reply and thoughts, lapushka! :o

MusicalSpoons
October 30th, 2019, 08:36 AM
My head hurt just watching :headache: I gave up after a couple of minutes because it was genuinely making me so uncomfortable it *hurt*. The principle (apart from lathering the lengths) was okay, but yeowch, I'm sure she didn't need to be quite so rough.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 30th, 2019, 10:25 AM
That looks so rough and painful - there's no way I would wash my hair like that, I just massage the scalp really gently and let the suds through the length. Nor do I wash it twice. I prefer to treat my hair like antique, fragile lace. I cringed watching this.

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 10:45 AM
My head hurt just watching :headache: I gave up after a couple of minutes because it was genuinely making me so uncomfortable it *hurt*. The principle (apart from lathering the lengths) was okay, but yeowch, I'm sure she didn't need to be quite so rough.

I guess she is trying to appear efficient :hmm: but who does that to their own hair! I have never been in such rush that I would have had to shampoo like that.

That looks so rough and painful - there's no way I would wash my hair like that, I just massage the scalp really gently and let the suds through the length. Nor do I wash it twice. I prefer to treat my hair like antique, fragile lace. I cringed watching this.

Sorry for the cringe content! I was really surprised watching the video, just the speed... I do sometimes wash my hair twice but it's rare, not a regular wash thing.

MusicalSpoons
October 30th, 2019, 11:12 AM

And that would be why yours is so magnificent :heartbeat

I guess she is trying to appear efficient :hmm: but who does that to their own hair! I have never been in such rush that I would have had to shampoo like that.

Sorry for the cringe content! I was really surprised watching the video, just the speed... I do sometimes wash my hair twice but it's rare, not a regular wash thing.

I actually use two or three small/medium globs of shampoo as necessary, with lots of water added to the first lather (after the first blob) to make sure it's spread really well. It's kind of a middle-ground between washing once with a big glob of shampoo, and shampooing multiple times - I'm not against washing twice if I feel it truly needs it, as my scalp really is oily and it only gets a full wash once a week. Nor am I super gentle at massaging but I'm also nothing like the video! I mean, it has to be thorough enough to properly cleanse my scalp, but thorough doesn't necessarily require it to be vigorous. Even so, I'd venture that the video goes beyond vigorous :bigeyes:

ReadingRenee
October 30th, 2019, 11:18 AM
I actually watched this video when it came out and then decided to try it. I felt like I got my hair and scalp really clean! I can't do that every time though and I am sure I was not able to be quite as vigorous as the hairstylist is in this video. I think for clarifying and stuff this method works well for me, but I can't do it every time. If I used a bunch of product in my hair all the time though, maybe I would want to wash my hair like this more often.

Joules
October 30th, 2019, 11:22 AM
OMG I thought I was rough with my scalp, but this is on the whole new level. I could justify this method of washing only maybe if your client works in a coal mine.

Most people don't know how to properly wash their hair

Including you, Brittney. Including you.

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 11:23 AM

I actually use two or three small/medium globs of shampoo as necessary, with lots of water added to the first lather (after the first blob) to make sure it's spread really well. It's kind of a middle-ground between washing once with a big glob of shampoo, and shampooing multiple times - I'm not against washing twice if I feel it truly needs it, as my scalp really is oily and it only gets a full wash once a week. Nor am I super gentle at massaging but I'm also nothing like the video! I mean, it has to be thorough enough to properly cleanse my scalp, but thorough doesn't necessarily require it to be vigorous. Even so, I'd venture that the video goes beyond vigorous :bigeyes:

That sink shaking around got me worried lol! Maybe it's not secured very well.

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 11:27 AM
I actually watched this video when it came out and then decided to try it. I felt like I got my hair and scalp really clean! I can't do that every time though and I am sure I was not able to be quite as vigorous as the hairstylist is in this video. I think for clarifying and stuff this method works well for me, but I can't do it every time. If I used a bunch of product in my hair all the time though, maybe I would want to wash my hair like this more often.

Thanks for your insight, Renee :) Makes sense, this would be difficult to do for yourself (as vigorously and quickly) and for someone this style could work just fine.

ZoeZ
October 30th, 2019, 11:29 AM
A big Nope! from me! That hurts just watching it.

Panthera
October 30th, 2019, 11:32 AM
I couldn't watch the video :scared:

jane_marie
October 30th, 2019, 11:42 AM
I really don't understand why this girl has decided to encourage people to wash their hair like this. This is not how you are taught to wash hair in cosmetology school. It looks damaging and like you could risk hurting your client's neck. Maybe this is one of those videos that was purely made for the views. :rolleyes:

Sarahlabyrinth
October 30th, 2019, 11:43 AM

Awww, thanks! My hair is fine, so I try to be as gentle as possible with it, always - particularly as I'm trying for extreme lengths. Maybe some hair can take "vigorous" but not mine.

Cg
October 30th, 2019, 12:04 PM
It looks like major overkill to me unless someone's hair has lots of gunk in it. A short burst of that technique is fine even for my fragile babyfine hair, but certainly nothing this prolonged. I don't put products on my hair, though, so maybe it's different for those who do.

It also looked like an unconscionable overuse of water unless you live in a place where it rains 360 days/year.

TatsuOni
October 30th, 2019, 12:04 PM
I only watched the beginning. My hair would break and tangle like crazy if I was half as rough as her!

Elodea
October 30th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Oof. I only watched the first 5 minutes or so because it seemed like the rest of the video would be more of the same. Who ravages their scalp like that to wash their hair?!

I never go at my scalp/hair that roughly/vigourously when I wash it. I wash my hair in the sink and I do scrub/lather my scalp a bit with the shampoo, but more gently compared to the woman in the video. I personally don't even scrub my ends, I just let them swish around in the water. My hair seems to get cleaned well enough from what I've been doing, so I don't think I'll try this washing method from the video (ETA: even though it may work for some)...

ETA: mildly off-topic, but I kinda wish it wouldn't be weird if I went to a salon just to get my hair washed (by someone else, since that can feel relaxing) and not have it cut or styled or anything like that, but I don't really think that's a thing people do... I do wonder what they'd charge at a salon if this were a common service to offer (wash only, nothing else)?

Groovy Granny
October 30th, 2019, 12:23 PM
OMG :thud:

I would have a migraine...and it would be a rats nest :tmi:

lapushka
October 30th, 2019, 12:42 PM
I suffer from SD, to be clear; and I need to get my scalp squeaky, so I massage and lather thoroughly. Now I may not rub as vigorously as her (Oh God no), but her "way" of going through the scalp is very recognizable to me.

So I wouldn't just condemn someone's video like that just because one's methods are different.

Stray_mind
October 30th, 2019, 12:50 PM
I actually would like someone to "scratch" my scalp like she did. I usually am pretty vigorous when washing too. Otherwise my scalp itches after. It almost felt good to me watching the video. :shrug:

nycelle
October 30th, 2019, 01:03 PM
I wash my scalp like that, just not as fast.
Doesn't hurt my hair, and gets my scalp clean. To each their own.

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 01:18 PM
I didn't mean to imply that the hairdresser's washing style is wrong. Makes sense that some would benefit from it! I kind of have an issue with her claiming it to be the "right" way to wash hair. Anyway, I'm probably overthinking the whole thing but would still like to hear how LHC-ers wash their hair and if they have their own techniques or something :D

leayellena
October 30th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Cringe-worthy video.
1. I never trust ANYONE with hair shorter than hip-length.
2. That was my mom style of washing my hair when I was a child. No wonder I learned how to... rip my hair off my scalp. That's how I got from 6 to 8.50 cm ponytail circ.
3. The fast forward editing is not helpful at all. It doesn't show the reality of washing hair.

lapushka
October 30th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I didn't mean to imply that the hairdresser's washing style is wrong. Makes sense that some would benefit from it! I kind of have an issue with her claiming it to be the "right" way to wash hair. Anyway, I'm probably overthinking the whole thing but would still like to hear how LHC-ers wash their hair and if they have their own techniques or something :D

Oh I didn't take it that way. I just think that some comments are a bit out there, after all it is content posted by *someone real* that we are commenting on. I hate the we're just all safe to comment behind our keyboards thing.

Stray_mind
October 30th, 2019, 02:21 PM

Well, it seems like a lot of people usually do the "lathering" part and claim it as washing, while, as the stylist said, it actually leaves the scalp dirty. That's why she said to scrub the scalp thoroughly After massaging the shampoo in to create the lather.
She mentioned people in the comments under her other videos asking for the correct way to wash the hair and she showed it.
She also said her friend's scalp isn't sensitive. She probably acts more gently towarfs people with sensitive scalp.

Begemot
October 30th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Oh I didn't take it that way. I just think that some comments are a bit out there, after all it is content posted by *someone real* that we are commenting on. I hate the we're just all safe to comment behind our keyboards thing.

True, let's try to express ourselves kindly :thumbsup:

Well, it seems like a lot of people usually do the "lathering" part and claim it as washing, while, as the stylist said, it actually leaves the scalp dirty. That's why she said to scrub the scalp thoroughly After massaging the shampoo in to create the lather.
She mentioned people in the comments under her other videos asking for the correct way to wash the hair and she showed it.
She also said her friend's scalp isn't sensitive. She probably acts more gently towarfs people with sensitive scalp.

Agreed, the friend didn't seem to be bothered at all. She must be satisfied with the wash routine since she comes back. I guess my reaction to the video revealed me as someone with sensitive scalp :D that kind of fast scrubbing surprised and intimidated me.

truepeacenik
October 30th, 2019, 04:07 PM
If by expert, you mean wash your scalp well, then yes.

My sense is that hair stylists are clarifying off anything that might be on the hair before they start. Smart, given how much of the salon work at one of my sites is color. S, it’s not a “daily” or usual wash. It’s clarifying. Especially the lengths.

I scalp wash, allow the suds to slide down the length, and condition the length.

desisparkles
October 30th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks for sharing!

I enjoyed it. I've never had a wash like that or washed my hair so thoroughly in my life. I will take tips from this as to up my shampoo massage time and will try the double washing too.

I also put wayyy more condish in (and will continue to do so - condish is magic to me) but I will stop putting so much near the scalp. I'm def guilty of that.

I, like Sarah, also have very fine hair so I'm careful to be gentle with it while handling as it can break and tangle soooo easily. I will attempt this but in a fashion that works with my fine strands.

AutobotsAttack
October 31st, 2019, 03:57 AM
Hair washing is really up to the texture of your hair. Not everyone can wash their hair with the same technique, or should for that matter. The video didn’t really look different to me than the hundreds of other videos I’ve seen of people shampooing hair at a salon. If that lady were to have washed my hair, like she did her client, my hair would be a matted tangled mess at the roots. I can’t wash my hair in the sink like that, and I can’t wash my hair without washing in sections. So again, washing technique comes down to the individual and their specific hair type and length.

Kalamazoo
November 5th, 2019, 08:42 PM
I found a Brad Mondo video, "Hair Washing Hacks That Will Save Your Hair" on YouTube. I think his technique sounds gentler by far than this thread's initial offering. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nchrj-dzVgs (He doesn't demonstrate, only verbally describes it.) I think I picked out a change or two that I could make...

Kalamazoo
November 6th, 2019, 03:22 AM
Like not putting wet hair up in a turban, &, well, also, about massaging the scalp, Mr. Brad says to do it in straight lines, because massaging in circles will cause tangles. Here on LHC, I've seen advice to massage in circles. I've been massaging in straight lines because it just felt more natural to me, & because I thought it didn't matter. I mean, I figured scalp circulation would be increased by rubbing, regardless of what stirring pattern was used. Surely the massaging pattern isn't different because of having shampoo present? I was also surprised by the news that bubbles don't clean anything.

TatsuOni
November 6th, 2019, 03:52 AM
Like not putting wet hair up in a turban, &, well, also, about massaging the scalp, Mr. Brad says to do it in straight lines, because massaging in circles will cause tangles. Here on LHC, I've seen advice to massage in circles. I've been massaging in straight lines because it just felt more natural to me, & because I thought it didn't matter. I mean, I figured scalp circulation would be increased by rubbing, regardless of what stirring pattern was used. Surely the massaging pattern isn't different because of having shampoo present? I was also surprised by the news that bubbles don't clean anything.

I've never massaged or washed my hair by moving my fingers in circles. Only straight lines. Because my fingers would get stuck in tangles if I tried to moved them in circles.

SleepyTangles
November 6th, 2019, 05:38 AM
I personally like when my hairdresser massages the scalp like that. Is quite vigorous, but I feel like it improves blood circulation and acts like a scrub: afterward my scalp is stripped clean by all flakes and grimy little imperfections.

I surely won´t do it more than... once a month. My sensitive scalp feels unusually bare and usually either: a) needs extra days to recover from the trauma and start producing sebum at its normal pace; b) gets freaked out and produce SO much sebum to overcompensate the sudden stripping... that I´m usually forced to wash the day after, or at most the second day :ponder:
So, for me it´s good but I consider it like a face scrub or a peeling, not like washing. Just as I do for my skincare, every now and then is good and probably is also functional to hair growth. Too much is wrecking the balance of your natural oil production and your skin regeneration pattern. Or at lest that´s how I feel :shrug:

Positivitea
November 6th, 2019, 07:00 AM
I guess it depends on your scalp and hair type. Personally, I have a very oily scalp so I need to shampoo twice. Apparently, the first shampoo mostly loosens and dissolves the dirt while the second washes it away (or something like that). Also, my hair never has tangles even though I don't condition, so scrubbing it like that wouldn't really knot my hair. I pretty much wash my hair the same way except I do it less fast.

nycelle
November 6th, 2019, 07:38 AM
I don't get tangles from rubbing my scalp in a circular motion, and I also wash twice.
But I use sulfate free shampoos and love a very clean scalp, so it requires a bit of extra work without sulfates.

Kat
November 6th, 2019, 11:42 PM
I have thought about my washing technique and wondered if I'm doing it "right", is my hair and scalp actually left dirty, could I do something differently etc. Came across this video and this looks so rough?? I imagine a hairdresser would want to be able to do their job as quickly as possible but the whole sink is shaking when she rubs the friend's hair. And she says she's not really scrubbing her length... while scrubbing her length?
So, share your thoughts and opinions on this video and hair washing techniques, all tips and advice are greatly appreciated!

Disclaimer: somewhat rough handling of hair. Hair washing starts at 1:00

If you don't feel your hair is left dirty, then it probably isn't. Just because someone tells you that you're doing something wrong, or that their way is better, doesn't mean that's true for you or even true at all. Go with what works for you and your hair, not what works for someone else and their hair, or what someone tells you should work for you and your hair.

You *do* wash your hair "like an expert"-- like an expert on your hair.

I suffer from SD, to be clear; and I need to get my scalp squeaky, so I massage and lather thoroughly. Now I may not rub as vigorously as her (Oh God no), but her "way" of going through the scalp is very recognizable to me.

So I wouldn't just condemn someone's video like that just because one's methods are different.

Then it should be presented as a technique for washing hair with SD, not for washing non-problem hair in general.

I was also surprised by the news that bubbles don't clean anything.

They don't. Surfactants and/or detergents clean. The bubbles (foaming agent) are just there so you feel like it's getting clean (sometimes it's literally added for your psychological benefit). To a certain extent, they can signal that your hair is getting clean-ER-- for example, if mine is very oily, there isn't much foam with the first lather but there is with the second, because the foaming action isn't being counteracted by the oil as much. But that doesn't mean the shampoo isn't doing its job the first time just because there's less lather.

lapushka
November 7th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Then it should be presented as a technique for washing hair with SD, not for washing non-problem hair in general.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Massaging your scalp is a universal idea. I can't begin to show you all the videos of people who wash in the shower, put shampoo on the top of their head and just go over that area and then already let the suds travel down, and they then totally forget to put some on their nape and massage well there. It's not put shampoo on the top of your head and let the suds run down, no, it is put shampoo all over your scalp area and massage thoroughly and I think that that is what she wanted to get across. General idea.

Mariekeeee14
November 7th, 2019, 10:49 AM
I learned something from this video, thank you! I’ve implemented the zigzag motion for massaging the scalp, as I did not massage it before. My scalp is not finicky or sensitive at all btw.

I think it sounds rougher than it is. When I do it with my SLES shampoo, it sounds rough cause of the suds and the hair structure.

Oh and shampoo on the lengths? Only dripping down please:)

Kat
November 7th, 2019, 08:30 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true. Massaging your scalp is a universal idea. I can't begin to show you all the videos of people who wash in the shower, put shampoo on the top of their head and just go over that area and then already let the suds travel down, and they then totally forget to put some on their nape and massage well there. It's not put shampoo on the top of your head and let the suds run down, no, it is put shampoo all over your scalp area and massage thoroughly and I think that that is what she wanted to get across. General idea.

But a large number of people felt she was being overly rough-- and that's certainly not something I'd want done to my head on a regular basis (even with SD). That wasn't massage, that was intense scrubbing. It was "massage" in the same way as the massage lady who was jamming her elbows so hard into me that I'm pretty sure she literally bruised my kidney. Not something I'd do every day, especially without reason.

And, again, if their method works for them? Then they can wash any way they want, with or without massage or scrubbing or scraping their scalp with a wire grill brush or whatever tickles their fancy. This method is not for everyone and should not be sold as such.

jane_marie
November 7th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Then they can wash any way they want, with or without massage or scrubbing or scraping their scalp with a wire grill brush or whatever tickles their fancy. This method is not for everyone and should not be sold as such.

Oh my gosh I'm dying. :rollin:

zanelle
November 8th, 2019, 02:24 AM
I had to stop the vid at 2.20 when she starts applying shampoo because it's so obviously wrong! She uses a HUGE amount. You only need to shampoo your scalp and it takes one portion the size of a dime for the front, and one portion for the back, that's all, no matter the length of your hair. Here's what I think makes more sense:
https://youtu.be/Nchrj-dzVgs

Ylva
November 8th, 2019, 04:26 AM
I had to stop the vid at 2.20 when she starts applying shampoo because it's so obviously wrong! She uses a HUGE amount. You only need to shampoo your scalp and it takes one portion the size of a dime for the front, and one portion for the back, that's all, no matter the length of your hair. Here's what I think makes more sense:
https://youtu.be/Nchrj-dzVgs

The amount of shampoo which you describe would never suffice for me. I need a handful for my scalp alone, and another handful if I'm washing my lengths as well.

It's best to use whatever amount works for you rather than what someone says is correct.

Ligeia Noire
November 8th, 2019, 06:45 AM
I am not watching the video but I second what Yvla said. I use shampoo for my scalp. A or two pump. And another one or two for my length and, sometimes, I even pile it on top of my head to help it to suds up. *SHOCK*
As always, if what you are doing has worked for you just keep doing it.

lapushka
November 8th, 2019, 07:44 AM
But a large number of people felt she was being overly rough-- and that's certainly not something I'd want done to my head on a regular basis (even with SD). That wasn't massage, that was intense scrubbing. It was "massage" in the same way as the massage lady who was jamming her elbows so hard into me that I'm pretty sure she literally bruised my kidney. Not something I'd do every day, especially without reason.

And, again, if their method works for them? Then they can wash any way they want, with or without massage or scrubbing or scraping their scalp with a wire grill brush or whatever tickles their fancy. This method is not for everyone and should not be sold as such.

I did say so that I massaged and didn't do it like she did. Right? ;)

Linden
November 8th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Just looking at that scrubbing makes my sensitive scalp hurt. :(

Also, I see that my fear of going to a salon because my hair will go in the drain is probably justified. *shudder*