PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Long Hair

Rafa
October 28th, 2019, 01:41 PM
I was curious to see how much money I would be able to save so I have been keeping track of how much I have spent on my hair as part of an experiment to see which was more expensive. I thought it would be an interesting experiment. I have also been trying to keep track of how much time I spend taking care of it as well since people continually told me how much more work long hair was going to be.

Well I am now 26 months into my long hair journey and finally joined LHC and thought you all might think the results were pretty interesting.

I made an estimate of how much I would have spent on maintaining short hair with a haircut every 6 weeks or so, though sometimes I got them more often and sometime less, or about 8 per year. I also through in the cost of a couple of bottles of shampoo and hair gel and if I still was still maintaining my previous shorthaired look it would have cost me $450 in the last 26 months with a conservative estimate.

When I add up all the money I have actually spent on my hair in the past 26 months I definitely came out ahead! I have spent $367 in the last 26 months, more than I anticipated, but I feel I need to take into account that I was going through the awkward stage and learning how to manage my hair which required trying a bunch of different products to find a routine that worked for me. I also had to buy head bands (surprisingly expensive), hair ties, a few claw clips, combs, and a nice brush, that I hopefully won't need to replace for quite some time. And I got 1 haircut to even things out which cost me a good chunk of change as well. So, while my hair getting longer definitely means I'll use more shampoo, conditioner, oils, etc. I think the average cost per month will keep coming down at least for a while, especially if I can successfully stretch my washes a bit more.

With regards to time spent I was unsurprised to see that short hair takes less time. Turns out that managing 2 inches of hair doesn't require a lot most days, especially if you a teenage boy. Comparing months 1 and 2 to that last 2 months I went from spending an average of 3-4 minutes a day to 18 minutes. But even then it really depends on the day. If I am not washing or oiling my hair then I only spend about 5-10 minutes per day now that I am solidly out of the awkward stage. Even if it does take more time it is well worth it to me as long hair fits me a lot better than short hair and I enjoy the time I put in.

Kalamazoo
October 28th, 2019, 02:34 PM
:thumbsup:

lapushka
October 28th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Especially those haircuts, once you can do your own home cuts (Feye's self-trimming method, compact cuts for layers) you will save so much more.

The-Young-Maid
October 28th, 2019, 05:31 PM
This is something I find interesting to calculate as well. Since I really don't buy hair toys I save a lot money right there. I trim my hair myself. I'm going to start using a cheaper brand (Tresemme). I have plenty of serums to use yet. I also have some shampoo/conditioner to use yet so I won't get a true cost until I've finished those.

But I think a reasonable goal for my haircare is... about $40/year?

If 28oz Tresemme is about $4.29-$4.69ish depending on the store/current sale. And a single bottle of shampoo or conditioner would probably last 3 months with daily use. Then with the current price ($4.39)x8= $35.12

Not bad. I always use coconut oil and usually a serum. But those last more like a year and half? Negligible.

Longlegs
October 28th, 2019, 06:31 PM
I have'nt been to a hairdresser in years, my husband cuts it, it's been about shoulder length and I've only recently started to grow it longer. I think having it long means I can stretch washes, I just tie it back and it's not very obvious I have oily roots. I am paying more for conditioner as obviously with more hair I need more. Otherwise I don't think it's costing me much, it's only about armpit length though so I imagine it will cost more as it gets longer but I think most people here would agree it's worth it.

FennFire911
October 28th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Hhhmmm, this would really take me some time to figure out if I wanted to know actual numbers, but I think I'm financially ahead now that I don't go to a salon anymore. It hasn't been pure savings though. I've indulged in a few pricey oils and conditioners, I now use pretty forks and sticks from Etsy instead of Scrunchies from the drug store. Overall though, yea I think it's been less expensive to have long hair rather than maintain shorter that needs frequent trims.

Shorty89
October 28th, 2019, 06:36 PM
This is interesting. I usually buy $4 conditioner for CO. I go through about one every two months or so. So, that's about $24, give or take. Then, add in the occasionally henna, that's $8 a bag, maybe 2 a year... $32. Throw in a few deep conditioners to make it $40 and maybe one new hairtoy and we'll say $70 a year. That's pretty good if you ask me. :)

MusicalSpoons
October 28th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Based on my current product usage (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146808&page=56&p=3723415&viewfull=1#post3723415) this year, I've spent under £25 on products, and that's with using up two bottles of my (relatively) most expensive, Holy Grail conditioner.

Hair toys ... I've spent more than that, but I've also sold a fair few that I no longer was using. I'm not sure the sales balanced the costs of the purchases, but those are not *necessary*, regular purchases for caring for long hair like products are (for me anyway, not everyone requires shampoo and conditioners).

No hair cuts for me, only self-trimming up until now though I plan to ask my sister to do the snip next time, so still no cost. My scissors were £20 when I bought them ... hmm, last year? which was the equivalent of two trims, for me, but nowhere near the price of a salon cut.

Oh, I also bought some coloured waxes, 5 for a total of about £13, which I expect to last indefinitely.

Rafa
October 28th, 2019, 07:12 PM
Wow! Some of you spend next to nothing! I should be able to keep my cost below $50 over the next year too though I think. Shampoo, conditioner, and oil are cheap for me and I hope to stretch my washes out a bit. I burn through hair ties pretty fast, but those are cheap.

Kalamazoo
October 28th, 2019, 08:52 PM
I haven't been to a hairdresser in 25 years. I think that's the biggest saving of all.

Elodea
October 28th, 2019, 10:11 PM
It'd probably take me a bit of work to calculate the actual cost I've spent in the last year, but I don't think it's that much. I only got one trim this year and don't plan on getting any more trims for the time being.

I don't really spend that much on products (shampoo, perhaps conditioner); I've currently been using up shampoo and conditioner I already had accumulated over the last couple of years. I've only made maybe two or three new shampoo purchases recently that I can remember and I'm guessing the total wasn't more than $20. Washing only once a week (approximately) also means a bottle of shampoo will last longer.

Probably the bulk of my spending would be on hair toys/accessories.

embee
October 29th, 2019, 05:28 AM
I haven't been to a hairdresser in 25 years. I think that's the biggest saving of all.

Exactly so! Stopped with trims and cuts in 1990. Bought maybe $100 of hair toys since then, and eventually went WO using my shampoo and conditioner for washing woolens. Later went NW/SO and am still using up the old shampoo and conditioner stash on woolen blankets every spring. :)

No idea what my savings has been but it surely has been substantial. :)

Cg
October 29th, 2019, 09:39 AM
I buy shampoo and conditioner (i bottle each) no oftener than every 15 months, rarely buy a new hairtoy, and haven't been to a salon in years. Hairtoys were my only real expense but I don't even buy those any more, just keep using what I have.

Cg
October 29th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Weird double post.

plonter
October 29th, 2019, 09:25 PM
I think about this too! When I had a pixie cut I would spend $300-$400 on hair cuts a year. So far with long hair it's been about $75 this year. I wash my hair a bit less often but use more conditioner, and was trying out more products with short hair. Re accessories: I spend about the same, I amassed a collection of hair scarves, headbands, and beanies; now its hair pins and scrunchies (still much less, dollarwise, than before though!) Overall I'm saving maybe $400 a year.

aenflex
October 30th, 2019, 05:48 PM
You guys are crushing it with frugality. My hair was more expensive shorter, but occasionally I overdo it. A new brush, some Olaplex and a couple Ficcares and now I’m telling myself to quit, already.

BeepBooop
November 3rd, 2019, 08:32 PM
Oh wow, what an interesting post! I think if one were to cut the hair themselves, they could have low cost short hair. Albeit, the style may not be what you might get at a salon.

Hair clippers - $18 (https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Color-Complete-Cutting-79300-400T/dp/B000JNQSIQ/ref=sxin_4_osp20-8fb0a3f6_cov?ascsubtag=8fb0a3f6-d122-4c01-bb86-e4892238f4f9&creativeASIN=B000JNQSIQ&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.8fb0a3f6-d122-4c01-bb86-e4892238f4f9&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=hair+clippers&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B000JNQSIQ&pd_rd_r=c2048164-7ccb-45e3-ad60-2c2b7f6e1283&pd_rd_w=5yI4n&pd_rd_wg=g95xg&pf_rd_p=53eff971-6e12-4016-9864-b6dfd929b2b3&pf_rd_r=FG42P53M313Q7XV1W1DW&qid=1572837391&tag=bestcont06-20)
Scissors - $8 (https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Barber-Cutting-Scissors-6-5-Inch/dp/B01C9E7MA0/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=hair+scissors&qid=1572837584&s=beauty&sr=1-4)
Hair thinning shears - $11 (https://www.amazon.com/Professional-ULG-Hairdressing-Texturizing-Detachable/dp/B0722K651D/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=hair+thinning+scissors&qid=1572837599&s=beauty&sr=1-4)
Total cost - $37

There are plenty videos on youtube on how to cut your own hair. I don't know if they're any good, but they're there.

It is possible to have low cost short hair, but ultimately, people should go for what makes them happiest:o

cjk
November 4th, 2019, 04:11 AM
Oh wow, what an interesting post! I think if one were to cut the hair themselves, they could have low cost short hair. Albeit, the style may not be what you might get at a salon.

https://i.imgur.com/MY2iU3V.png

That comes down to skill. Most professional barbers can't do precision clipper work as skillfully as I can. That's at least initially WHY I learned it, myself, to fix their work. The cost savings was just a perk, flattops require a LOT of maintenance.

unheardletters
November 4th, 2019, 05:14 AM
It costs me more to have long hair than to have short hair, because I cut my own hair even when it is short. But I’m not growing my hair out to save money I’m growing it out because I want my long hair back. I miss it.

SleepyTangles
November 4th, 2019, 06:00 AM
It really depends on the person.
If you want a minimalist lifestyle, all it really takes is benign neglect, a wide toothed comb and LOTS of conditioner. An oil of your choice for the ends, gentle hair-ties and you are good to go.
But if you have a penchant for hair toys... well, bad times ahead for your purse :redgrin:

I think you can customize your routine to fit your budget and your personality. I feel what you are saying, awkward hair stages are easier with some toys and products to keep you entertained.

Begemot
November 4th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Uh oh. Okay, let's see... Two trims a year makes 30 euros (my hair is so short that I don't want to cut it myself, I also just trust my hairdresser to have sharper shears). Hair toys and ties were around 50 e this year (one stick, one fork, one scrunchie, one big claw clip, some small claw clips). I don't typically buy these often at all (unless I break something and need a replacement). I have bought a ton of products though. My guesstimate is with about 100-150 euros. Olaplex costs the most but I usually look for discounts so that balances things out a little bit. With my stash I could also go without needing to buy anything more for a long-ish time, so next year could turn out less expensive.

So at least 200 euros, that's a lot for me :couch:

gossamer
November 4th, 2019, 07:15 AM
Hmm, my partner and I generally use the same shampoo, some variety of Head & Shoulders, which where we live is $7/bottle. I think we use 1 bottle every 3 months.
I also occasionally use Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo, which is also about $8 a bottle. One bottle lasts me over a year - more like 2 actually.
I probably go through about 6 bottles of conditioner per year. If I'm feeling fancy, I buy the kind of Suave that's $3.50 a bottle. My standby giant bottle of Suave conditioner is $2.50 a bottle. Let's go wild and round up to $20/year on conditioner.

Shampoo shared with partner: $28/year for both of us, so $14/year for me
Clarifying shampoo: $4/year
Conditioner: $20
Yearly product cost: $38

I S&D my own hair and when I want the length cut, my partner does it for me. Total cost: $0

Hair tools/toys - can't think of the last time I bought a stick. Maybe one from the swap board back in 2017? I think I spent $25 on it.
In summer 2018 I spent maybe $15 on long metal hairpins and spin pins, so I have lots and lots in reserve and won't need to buy any more for years.
In March 2019, I paid $15 to have my hair scissors sharpened, which was the first time I've done this.

Yeah, I think long hair is pretty cheap for me.

lapushka
November 4th, 2019, 08:23 AM

Hair clippers - $18 (https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Color-Complete-Cutting-79300-400T/dp/B000JNQSIQ/ref=sxin_4_osp20-8fb0a3f6_cov?ascsubtag=8fb0a3f6-d122-4c01-bb86-e4892238f4f9&creativeASIN=B000JNQSIQ&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.8fb0a3f6-d122-4c01-bb86-e4892238f4f9&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=hair+clippers&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B000JNQSIQ&pd_rd_r=c2048164-7ccb-45e3-ad60-2c2b7f6e1283&pd_rd_w=5yI4n&pd_rd_wg=g95xg&pf_rd_p=53eff971-6e12-4016-9864-b6dfd929b2b3&pf_rd_r=FG42P53M313Q7XV1W1DW&qid=1572837391&tag=bestcont06-20)
Scissors - $8 (https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Barber-Cutting-Scissors-6-5-Inch/dp/B01C9E7MA0/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=hair+scissors&qid=1572837584&s=beauty&sr=1-4)
Hair thinning shears - $11 (https://www.amazon.com/Professional-ULG-Hairdressing-Texturizing-Detachable/dp/B0722K651D/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=hair+thinning+scissors&qid=1572837599&s=beauty&sr=1-4)
Total cost - $37

There are plenty videos on youtube on how to cut your own hair. I don't know if they're any good, but they're there.

It is possible to have low cost short hair, but ultimately, people should go for what makes them happiest:o

There is Feye's self-trimming method, that is often used here! I'll link it for you:
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

LittleHealthy
November 4th, 2019, 09:29 AM
I've actually *never* been to a hairdresser at all in my life. My mother cut our hair and then taught me to do it. I use a Crea Clip to cut a blunt hemline now, too. I'm not discounting the work hairdressers do, but I sure wouldn't be brave enough to go to one! Last year I spent a little more than I usually would on haircare because I bought a few different conditioners in smaller, slightly more expensive bottles, but I'm back to buying big bottles now of what I love (currently pantene daily moisture renewal) so back to my low cost hair care again.

Arciela
November 4th, 2019, 09:35 AM
I stretch washes now and use a bottle of suave for cowash once a month or so. I've had my biolage conditioner (huge bottle) that I got half off on ultas sale for a year now. I dont really use gel anymore, I trim my own hair. Maybe 20$ a year? If that..haha.

bparnell75
November 4th, 2019, 10:20 AM
My long hair costs about as much for shampoo/conditioner as before. But my hobby of making hairtoys and buying a few make up for anything saved at a salon. I am however about at the end of my hair toy adventure as I have eveything I want and there is little I want to spend money on except perhaps a helix.

Ylva
November 4th, 2019, 10:35 AM
I think the cost of my hair depends mostly on how "into it" I am. I am terrible at managing my finances, and I will always find a way to spend money on something related to x, so it kind of events itself out. Now that I'm no longer spending a ton of money getting my roots done every 6 weeks, I find myself spending more on hair accessories or products. I'm stupid like that and I know it will go on and on until I absolutely ban myself from spending money on hair (which won't happen before it is absolutely necessary), or I stop being into hair.

Short hair is cheaper for me than long hair because I don't use as much conditioner on it and I can't do much with it in general. I also don't spend much money on haircuts because I would get my mother to do it, and I could never bother with the upkeep of any intricate style anyway. It's just not me.

Liz_H
November 4th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Interesting thread. I've found that I use the same amount of shampoo either way since I only lather my scalp now. Actually I use less since I can stretch my washes so long. DH & I have cut my hair for years.

I probably spend a bit less.

By the way, I was using a lot of conditioner on my long hair until I started diluting it with a bit of water before use. (In a plastic bowl, not in the bottle.) It seems to work just as well.

hennalove
November 4th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Honestly, I'm not really sure what it costs me but I know it's a lot cheaper than many who frequent salons. But, I use a lot of BAQ henna and I use Giovanni shampoo/conditioner (large bottles bought on sale). I'm likely still spending a bit more than many here.

Currently, my biggest hair expenditures would be henna at about $15/month and coconut milk at $4/month. In the beginning though, I bought a wood bristle brush, boar's bristle brush, wood comb, hair sticks, oodles of henna (my favourite is Red Raj followed by Zenia), a good pair of hair scissors, processing caps, foil caps and heated caps (gel, electric). I also use deposit only dye but found cheaper ways to buy it than ordering online. Shipping is/has been horrible for some of the things I use. I also use a lot of oils for hair care but also for other care so don't really count that cost or the cost of essential oils. I usually buy my Ayurvedic herbs from little Mom & Pop shops so that saves a lot too. I don't use much in the way of product other that Giovanni heat protectant which is always used if my hair is going to be exposed to sun.

I would guess right now, I'm in about the $25 per month range for hair care so about $300 without going to a salon. The reality is, I'm not doing this for cost savings but rather longer, stronger and healthier hair. However, it has always been my understanding that DIY hair care is always cheaper than going to the salons.

tigress86
November 5th, 2019, 07:54 AM
I haven't been to a hairdresser for almost 3 years now, I don't own any hairtoys, and I use shampoo and conditioner from the supermarket. 10 euros a month would be a rough estimate.

Positivitea
November 5th, 2019, 04:53 PM
I use a pretty cheap shampoo that's 3 euros and it lasts me about 3 months. I regularly get hair oils from my mom (she has frizzy hair and unfortunately many products are trial-and-error). I also receive hair masks and such from my grandma/aunt who are hairdressers. So all in all, 1 euro a month? But to be fair, there are some investments that I make and are only a one-time expense. For example, I recently bought two satin pillowcases which will hopefully last me a long time. Also, hair ties and such I only buy once every couple of years. Sometimes I also try out new things which might not work for me, such as new shampoos.

Laurelin
November 8th, 2019, 02:51 PM
I'd say getting INTO growing my hair was pricier than it is for me now. Buying a satin pillowcase (€20) good hair scissors (€95) trial-and-error conditioners (pricey) but I'm importing it all myself via my family in the Netherlands. Iceland just tends to make things much pricier than in other countries and doesn't sell products that work for me and that I'm not allergic to, making it very much worth it to import.

I prefer buying BIG bottles of conditioner which cost €7 each and last probably for 2 months per bottle (note; hubby uses my conditioners too)
I import on average 6-7 bottles a time which last up to a year.
Import costs are around €25 euros for this amount.
Making it €5.80 each month or €70.50 per year on conditioners for 2 people.

''Hairdresser'' is a taboo word in this house so I cut my own and hubbies hair. I carve and paint my own hairsticks from trees from my garden and nailpolish. Use oils I use for my skin anyways too. Adding in the costs for 2 boxes of hair elastics for hubby and me: €4

On average my hair costs €37,25 per year or €3,10 per month. (using 2018/2019 spendings)

Before this I boxbleached my hair 2 times a month, bought allot of product (masks, oils, shampoos, sprays, conditioners, name it) to ''fix it and make it look nice'' and had to go to the hairdresser every 3 months to get rid of ruined ends. costing me around €50 a month or €600 a year.
Growing long hair saved me allot of money. :eek:

Euro to dollar: €3 is around $3,3, €50 is around $55, €37 is around $40, €600 is around $661

Natalia_A00
November 9th, 2019, 10:07 AM
I haven't spent much on my hair lately but I used to buy tons of products, like deep conditioning masks, etc. I would say that I have spent more than 80€ since I started my hair journey last year. Some masks can be very expensive! I don't know why I bought so many, now I have products for a lifetime!
However I still buy cheap conditioers and shampoos once in a while when I run out of them. Sometimes I experiment a little bit and I buy a more expensive one if I read a recommendation than convinces me though