PDA

View Full Version : How to combat that “dirty scalp” smell?

sonic_goose
October 28th, 2019, 05:02 AM
So I don’t think the smell is truly “dirty” scalp, but that’s all I could think to call it. My mom always describes it as “tête sale,” meaning “dirty head.” That sort of musty smell the scalp and roots of hair develop after a few days of not washing. Since I only shampoo around once a week, I feel like my scalp does often have this smell. It’s not particularly strong or offensive, but it’s also not the typical floral shampoo smell that people come to associate with “clean hair.” Does anyone have any ideas on how to freshen the smell of your scalp/hair between washes?

lapushka
October 28th, 2019, 05:11 AM
Maybe some dry shampoo, if in a pinch?

I know they sell hair "perfumes" specifically for this but there might be more drying alcohols in there than in dry shampoo.

I am a once a week washer as well, and my hair doesn't get that until late Friday, Saturday; and Sunday it's wash day anyway, so... I don't mind to stretch that bit.

MusicalSpoons
October 28th, 2019, 05:21 AM
Maybe some kind of spritz with essential oils in? I'm thinking along the DIY lines here (though it's possible there might be something appropriate commercially available); though with the usual caveat to patch test anything you might make before spraying it on all of your scalp. Or even just a drop or two of EO on your fingertips patted or rubbed onto your scalp but ONLY IF you know your skin/scalp can tolerate that kind of thing.

lapushka
October 28th, 2019, 05:23 AM
EOs can cause contact dermatitis, and they do not mix with water, so you'd have to at least put some distilled water, some conditioner in there, so the EOs can "absorb" into something. Just FYI.

MusicalSpoons
October 28th, 2019, 05:31 AM
EOs can cause contact dermatitis, and they do not mix with water, so you'd have to at least put some distilled water, some conditioner in there, so the EOs can "absorb" into something. Just FYI.

True, I should have clearly mentioned that! There are other emulsifiers, not just conditioner, but I don't know what exactly (which is why I stopped short of even attempting to give any kind of recipe :))

lapushka
October 28th, 2019, 06:26 AM
True, I should have clearly mentioned that! There are other emulsifiers, not just conditioner, but I don't know what exactly (which is why I stopped short of even attempting to give any kind of recipe :))

No worries, MusicalSpoons. The thread is only just starting out; plenty of time. ;)

SleepyTangles
October 28th, 2019, 01:05 PM
I know that smell your mum is referencing to, waxy and acidic. Your scalp has (natural) bacteria and this is the smell it produces, together with transpiration and sebum production... like the underarm pits!
My personal opinion: if the scalp smells musty or unpleasant to your own nose, it´s the signal that it´s time for a wash. Trust your senses, just like you would with food and water... or your armpits, again!
Unless you just started stretching washes, that´s it. Then it´s natural a bit of imbalance. If this is the case, I just recommend a lot of patience, and maybe a more gradual transition.
A little trick: washing scrupulously the ears (front and behind) with soap and a muslin cloth does magic. Sometimes it is all we needed, without even knowing. Our grandmas were wise, they never forgot their ears.

My scalp is very sensitive, so I´m not a fan of dry shampoo or products. In time I found that a gentle wash is more delicate on my scalp than building-up products to mask the smell. Everyone is different, tough, so YMMV :flower:

spidermom
October 28th, 2019, 02:20 PM
I've been using dry shampoo to freshen my hair. I'm trying not to wash it more than twice a week, but I'm also increasing my exercise and sweating. What I've been doing is either letting the sweat dry in my hair or using a blow dryer. If I notice a less than fresh smell, I spritz a bit of dry shampoo and comb through. It helps me maintain my chosen washing schedule without unpleasant odors.

Kalamazoo
October 28th, 2019, 02:42 PM
I found an aftershave that I think is pretty close to natural, Captain's Choice 45th Parallel. I really like the cherry scent. So I put a few drops on my scalp, hair, wooden comb. (It's cherrywood.) I also smear a little cocoa butter on the comb, so it winds up smelling like chocolate-covered cherries.

Yes, the aftershave contains alcohol, but I'm under the impression that it's a humectant type, not isopropyl.

I imagine a few drops of perfume or cologne would work, too; just so long as you like the smell. And make sure the alcohol in the formula isn't the bad kind for your particular hair type.

Kalamazoo
October 28th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Having said that, I'd like to share a quote from Homemade Shampoo A Complete Beginner’s Guide to Natural DIY Shampoos You Can Make Today by Jane Aniston:

•Fragrance/“Parfum" – A catchall for unknown chemicals like phthalates. Fragrance has been proven to cause dizziness, headaches, asthma, and even allergic reactions in some unsuspecting victims.

I say that because I'm allergic to a lot of things, & there are people (like guys who took me out, or the person sitting next to me in a theater or at church, or friends who needed me to give them a ride in my car) who were wearing fragrances, perfumes, aftershaves, what-have-you, that made me violently ill. It can create awkwardness if somebody who wants to be close to me is wearing something that gives me an asthma attack or a violent sneezing fit.

SpottedBackson
October 28th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Well, two things...

1) Your head not smelling like shampoo doesn't mean it smells bad. When I didn't wash my hair at all it had a hair smell which my tactless father said was unusual but not unpleasant. Actually, if we all stopped washing our hair it wouldn't even be unusual.

2) Scented dry shampoo. It will perfume your hair, soak up oil and extend time between washes. Fat and the moon, Nightblooming and Lulu Organics look like they are all good options.

Kat
October 28th, 2019, 09:33 PM
My personal opinion: if the scalp smells musty or unpleasant to your own nose, it´s the signal that it´s time for a wash. Trust your senses, just like you would with food and water... or your armpits, again!
Unless you just started stretching washes, that´s it. Then it´s natural a bit of imbalance.

I kind of agree with this. I am always wary of trying to cover up an unpleasant odor (whether some sort of body odor, odor in clothing, or just a bad odor in the air) with something else... I have heard too many people say behind someone's back that it doesn't cover up the smell, it's just that they then smell like the bad smell + the good smell (think the stereotype of hippies who smell like B.O. and patchouli, or people who burn incense to try to cover up their pot smoking but in reality you smell both weed and nag champa...). When I notice I smell/my clothes smell/my house smells, I know it's time for a shower/the washing machine/opening some windows and some cleaning, unless there is some reason I can't do that (I sweat during the day, spill something on my clothes, etc.). Because I know it's possible I will have no idea what other people can smell and that I might not be covering up a bad smell as well as I think I am... (I admit I'm also somewhat paranoid about this, but... there've been instances when I've found out I got used to a smell but other people still notice, and I've known of other people who may think they don't smell but actually do.)

I had a very hard time in Thailand, for example, with the smell of my hair. Apparently if I sweat into my hair, it smells very very bad. And it does not easily wash out, even if I lather up 2-3 times. I would wash my hair 3-4 times a week-- 2-3 of those times after workouts when I got quite sweaty-- and I could still smell sweat/oil in my hair if I put my nose close.

cjk
October 28th, 2019, 09:40 PM
I know that smell your mum is referencing to, waxy and acidic. Your scalp has (natural) bacteria and this is the smell it produces, together with transpiration and sebum production... like the underarm pits!

It must vary from person to person. Just like body odors; some are almost pleasant, others quite offensive.

I use a deodorant crystal for my underarms. It is literally a mineral salt crystal, water soluble, that you apply to your underarms while still damp from the shower, the microscopic amount of salt is apparently toxic to bacteria.

It's available as a liquid roll on which is, quite literally, a specific recipe of that salt in water.

I'm wondering if using it as a "salt spray" on the hair, and even the scalp, would prevent any bacterial odors? If they can't grow, they won't stink.

EdG
October 28th, 2019, 09:48 PM
i find that the mild waxy odor is not offensive. It is not very noticeable, and when it is, it smells somewhat like candles.

In my experience, bad/strong odors are caused by mold/bacteria growing in matted hair. Old polyester lint caught in the hair also has an odor. Keeping the hair tangle-free eliminates these odors.
Ed

sonic_goose
October 29th, 2019, 03:37 PM
The salt spray idea is interesting. I wonder if this would dry out my scalp/hair, though. I have the frustrating problem of dry scalp and (sometimes) oily roots.

lapushka
October 29th, 2019, 04:52 PM
The salt spray idea is interesting. I wonder if this would dry out my scalp/hair, though. I have the frustrating problem of dry scalp and (sometimes) oily roots.

Do you have a scalp condition? Like SD (seborrheic dermatitis), psoriasis, eczema, or something like that?

CuteCrow
October 29th, 2019, 05:25 PM
1) Your head not smelling like shampoo doesn't mean it smells bad. When I didn't wash my hair at all it had a hair smell which my tactless father said was unusual but not unpleasant. Actually, if we all stopped washing our hair it wouldn't even be unusual.
I couldn't agree more with this, I've seen a lot of people saying that their scalp smells bad after a couple of days without washing it but it's actually just the natural smell of your body not a bad odour. We are so used to smell ourselves so perfumed that any body odour is straight out perceived as bad.
So first of all I would determine if it actually smells bad or just musky/not perfumed. If it's the first as others have said it's time to wash it, doesn't matter if it's just been two days since your last wash, also I would check you don't have any yeast infections or any scalp condition, because real bad scalp smell is not that comom and often points to something going wrong.
If it's just the musky-not-floral smell that bothers you I'd say you will get used to it, and I assure you almost nobody really notice it (and often those who do are those who already know our "smell"). I think most options for refreshing are somewhat damaging, but that's just my opinion you could try any of the suggestions on this thread and tell us how it goes :)

MusicalSpoons
October 29th, 2019, 06:58 PM

Do you have a scalp condition? Like SD (seborrheic dermatitis), psoriasis, eczema, or something like that?

The good news is that if it never gets inflamed then it's unlikely to be a scalp condition. With oily roots - well, what do you call oily? How quickly do they get greasy? True 'dry scalp' does not produce much oil; do you shampoo once a week because your hair is greasy or for another reason? (If your scalp does produce sufficient oil then any 'dryness' would probably be dehydration - unless it gets inflamed.)

The salt spray is an interesting idea. Of course the problem with ordinary salt (sodium chloride) is that it draws water out, dehydrates - but the salt deodorants are a different type of salt altogether; potassium alum, I believe? There may possibly be others, I'm not sure. You'd have to look carefully into how it interacts with the skin before trying it of course, but don't be put off just because it's called a salt. was 'ooh yikes, not a salt spray!'.]

cjk
October 29th, 2019, 08:05 PM
The good news is that if it never gets inflamed then it's unlikely to be a scalp condition. With oily roots - well, what do you call oily? How quickly do they get greasy? True 'dry scalp' does not produce much oil; do you shampoo once a week because your hair is greasy or for another reason? (If your scalp does produce sufficient oil then any 'dryness' would probably be dehydration - unless it gets inflamed.)

The salt spray is an interesting idea. Of course the problem with ordinary salt (sodium chloride) is that it draws water out, dehydrates - but the salt deodorants are a different type of salt altogether; potassium alum, I believe? There may possibly be others, I'm not sure. You'd have to look carefully into how it interacts with the skin before trying it of course, but don't be put off just because it's called a salt. was 'ooh yikes, not a salt spray!'.]

Potassium Alum is the most common one, yes, but there are a few variations. I've been using it for decades, started right after high school, and it's never lost efficacy.

https://i.imgur.com/IrhWqjD.png

It's a rock. Literally. And such a minute amount is used daily, that it literally lasts me a year.

There is a liquid version, seen below, which is a chip of salt crystal dissolved in water.

https://i.imgur.com/CDeCK2W.png

But looking at the ingredients it's the potassium alum salt, water, and some preservatives are added as well.

macyann
October 29th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Rosewater might help, since it is antibacterial and also smells nice. Let us know what ends up working for you/what you try!

Kalamazoo
October 29th, 2019, 11:56 PM
Potassium Alum is the most common one, yes, but there are a few variations. I've been using it for decades, started right after high school, and it's never lost efficacy.

https://i.imgur.com/IrhWqjD.png

It's a rock. Literally. And such a minute amount is used daily, that it literally lasts me a year.

There is a liquid version, seen below, which is a chip of salt crystal dissolved in water.

https://i.imgur.com/CDeCK2W.png

But looking at the ingredients it's the potassium alum salt, water, and some preservatives are added as well.

Um, ur, potassium alum is aluminum. The "health food" industry has been tricking us for years on this point! However, there are plenty of natural herb-based things that one can make for next to nothing. Example: coconut oil + a few drops of essential oils. The essential oils are optional. The coconut oil itself is antibacterial, so if you kill the bacteria that cause the smell...

WellnessMama has some good recipes: https://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/

lapushka
October 30th, 2019, 04:28 AM

I was asking the OP directly, MusicalSpoons. You don't know this either just from guessing, right? ;)

cjk
October 30th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Um, ur, potassium alum is aluminum.

Who said it isn't???

milosmomma
October 30th, 2019, 06:28 AM
I feel like every time I come on I suggest an apple cider vinegar rinse, but when I dont use one I seem to get a greasy scalp sooner. Lately, with wearing hats because of the weather, I find I really get that extra day with the rinse as opposed to when i dont use the acv. It might keep that sebum smell away a bit longer .

Suortuva
October 30th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Who said it isn't???

The pictures :p literally, both bottles says: NO aluminum.

cjk
October 30th, 2019, 07:36 AM
The pictures :p literally, both bottles says: NO aluminum.

You have to read all the words. No aluminum chlorohydrate.

MusicalSpoons
October 30th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Um, ur, potassium alum is aluminum. The "health food" industry has been tricking us for years on this point!

Potassium alum ≠ aluminium chloride / chlorohydrate.

I've personally not investigated whether the usual aluminium salts are indeed harmful, but here's an interesting explanation about the differences https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/beauty-hub/blog/faq-how-does-potassium-alum-differ-from-aluminium-salts

I was asking the OP directly, MusicalSpoons. You don't know this either just from guessing, right? ;)

I know, I was simply expanding on your comment to give the OP a bit more info/context :)

You have to read all the words. No aluminum chlorohydrate.

I really, really wish we had a like button at times like this!

zmirina
October 30th, 2019, 10:00 AM
I would say just wash it, though it is against the orthodoxy on this forum. Why are we trying to reenact the less attractive aspects of medieval life again?

The-Young-Maid
October 30th, 2019, 10:55 AM
I would say just wash it, though it is against the orthodoxy on this forum. Why are we trying to reenact the less attractive aspects of medieval life again?

Same. Staying home is a different story but assuming you'll be going out... Lots of people just can't smell themselves. I work with lots of people everyday and when I see oily hair I cringe because that means I'll smell them.

Maybe spritz some perfume on your scalp? Idk I guess it's better than nothing but that's debatable.

Also, I'm not saying you need to smell like a flower garden:rolleyes:, I just don't want to smell YOU.

MusicalSpoons
October 30th, 2019, 11:02 AM

:rollin: true! For me I assumed there was a specific reason OP shampoos once a week, but if it's not a problem to wash more often (even just a scalp wash) then yeah that'd be simpler :lol:

lapushka
October 30th, 2019, 12:45 PM
:rollin: true! For me I assumed there was a specific reason OP shampoos once a week, but if it's not a problem to wash more often (even just a scalp wash) then yeah that'd be simpler :lol:

Errr, I wash once a week, and I can assure you I don't smell.

My mom washes once every 2/3 months and nope: no smell at all.

Things like this differ for everybody but just to assume that washing less means a bad smell is going a bit too far, IMO.

MusicalSpoons
October 30th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Errr, I wash once a week, and I can assure you I don't smell.

My mom washes once every 2/3 months and nope: no smell at all.

Things like this differ for everybody but just to assume that washing less means a bad smell is going a bit too far, IMO.

Wait, what? I did not intend to imply that washing once a week automatically means smelling!! Not at all - I only mentioned the frequency because that's what OP wrote; OP also wrote that they've been told their hair smells after a few days. That certainly doesn't mean it applies to anyone else regardless of washing frequency.

FWIW my hair gets a scalp wash if I need to look presentable between full washes or if my scalp tells me it needs it, but my main shampooing is also once a week. I do get a mild sebumy smell if I have my hands on my scalp for any length of time (absentmindedly scritching or massaging or whatever) but I don't think it's particularly unpleasant and nobody else has commented on it. I'm not sure how close someone else would have to get in order to smell it.

[The :rollin: in my previous comment was because it tickled me that it was such an obvious solution that hadn't occurred to me at all prior to it being mentioned.]

Kalamazoo
October 30th, 2019, 01:38 PM
:tmi: :rolling: :violin:

The-Young-Maid
October 30th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Lapushka, where did anyone say that?

OP is complaining about scalp odor. The best way to get rid of odor is to wash. We weren't talking about washing frequency being a determining factor.

So no, nobody is "assuming" that.

lapushka
October 30th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Wait, what? I did not intend to imply that washing once a week automatically means smelling!! Not at all - I only mentioned the frequency because that's what OP wrote; OP also wrote that they've been told their hair smells after a few days. That certainly doesn't mean it applies to anyone else regardless of washing frequency.

FWIW my hair gets a scalp wash if I need to look presentable between full washes or if my scalp tells me it needs it, but my main shampooing is also once a week. I do get a mild sebumy smell if I have my hands on my scalp for any length of time (absentmindedly scritching or massaging or whatever) but I don't think it's particularly unpleasant and nobody else has commented on it. I'm not sure how close someone else would have to get in order to smell it.

[The :rollin: in my previous comment was because it tickled me that it was such an obvious solution that hadn't occurred to me at all prior to it being mentioned.]

Oh OK, duly noted! :thumbsup:

sonic_goose
October 30th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Oh, just to clarify, no one has said my scalp smells other than myself, haha! I don’t think the odor is strong enough for anyone else to smell it. I’m fact I only usually smell it after a scalp massage, but it makes me paranoid that other people are going to think I have smelly hair.

Kat
October 30th, 2019, 07:18 PM

Yeah... I tried stretching washes back in my early 20s. We're talking, I'd go like a month in between, at least. Let's just say my hair didn't get used to it. And finally one day we went for my mom to get a haircut (I used the same hairdresser, but wasn't getting my hair cut that day) and she and our hairdresser conspired against me and nearly bodily threw me into the washbowl. I got the message and gave up on stretching washes after that.

That's not to say it might not work for some people, but sometimes, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work, and that's okay. I've seen several instances here where someone will read X is good or Y is bad-- don't use 'cones, don't wash as often as {whatever}, always use a BBB, oil your hair, do ACV rinses, never leave it down, don't use shampoos with sulfates, etc. And even if it's not working for them and their hair, they think they need to keep {not} doing it, because that's what they read here. That's why I'm such a big proponent of "YMMV" here... sure, try new things, but don't be afraid to dump anything that's not working for you (whether it's because your hair doesn't like it as much, or because it makes your life overly difficult).