PDA

View Full Version : Wood and Boar Bristle Brush

FrayedFire
October 25th, 2019, 09:51 PM
I'm surprised this isn't a thing I've been able to easily find... is there a brush out there that has wooden bristles (not nylon!) and boar bristles (preferably soft)?

Belle03
October 25th, 2019, 10:01 PM
I'm surprised this isn't a thing I've been able to easily find... is there a brush out there that has wooden bristles (not nylon!) and boar bristles (preferably soft)?

Hello, I use a Tek brush. It's a wooden brush with wood pegs. They have brushes with standard length pegs, and another with long pegs. My hair is 4b, and I enoy using this brush.

FrayedFire
October 26th, 2019, 07:37 AM
Hello, I use a Tek brush. It's a wooden brush with wood pegs.
I'm looking for ONE brush that has BOTH wooden pins AND boar bristles.

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2019, 10:39 AM
I would think wooden bristles would have to be much thicker than the boar bristles so it would be a bit odd, and probably why they're not widely made (if at all). What are you hoping to use it for exactly?

SleepyTangles
October 26th, 2019, 11:41 AM
I think that itīs not a frequent combination, because itīs not convenient to have wood pegs (detangling) and animal bristles (smoothing, massaging, spreading scalp oils) on the same tool. The bristles would get in the pegs way, most likely. The wood pegs have to dig into the hair to work the tangles outs, while the bristles are more for surface working and polishing.
I know that many commercial brushes have a combo of plastic pegs and nylon bristles, and I have to say that my experience with these is AWFUL: my knots just get torn apart. An hairstylist used one of these on my (long, waist length, and fine) hair and I do NOT have a pleasant memory of that salon visit.

Groovy Granny
October 26th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I have sandalwood brushes and BBB/nylon bristle Vented Wet Brushes and love them both :heart:
The Wet Brush does fine detangling but both distribute sebum/serum/oils well.

FrayedFire
October 26th, 2019, 02:26 PM
I have sandalwood brushes and BBB/nylon bristle Vented Wet Brushes and love them both :heart:
The Wet Brush does fine detangling but both distribute sebum/serum/oils well.

I have the wet brush and it was great at first but the nylon got all rough after a few months and does more damage than not. I've tried using a bristle boar brush and a regular brush together, like I take a lock of hair, trap it between the two brushes and slide down like one would with a flat iron, but I can't do that on my scalp. I find that just boar bristles don't go through. Basically I'm looking for something like the wet brush that has wood instead of plastic combined with the boar bristles. I don't brush my hair until it's mostly detangled anyway, I want it more for the digging in action so I can go from scalp to ends with ease.

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2019, 03:12 PM
For the digging in action you'd need stiff, long boar bristles :)

Groovy Granny
October 26th, 2019, 06:04 PM
I have the wet brush and it was great at first but the nylon got all rough after a few months and does more damage than not. I've tried using a bristle boar brush and a regular brush together, like I take a lock of hair, trap it between the two brushes and slide down like one would with a flat iron, but I can't do that on my scalp. I find that just boar bristles don't go through. Basically I'm looking for something like the wet brush that has wood instead of plastic combined with the boar bristles. I don't brush my hair until it's mostly detangled anyway, I want it more for the digging in action so I can go from scalp to ends with ease.
Wow...I have had my brushes for YEARS with no change in their condition....regular and BBB mix :hmm:

For the digging in action you'd need stiff, long boar bristles :)
Yes, BBB brushes only POLISH the top sections of your hair, spreading natural sebum, oils, serums etc from scalp down the length.
That's why I like my BBB mixed bristle Wet Brush with it's dual action....but then again my hair is very fine and wispy and the brushes penetrate my hair easily.

Good luck in your search; I'd be interested in trying such a product too if it is available. :cheer:

Kalamazoo
October 26th, 2019, 07:59 PM
Maybe this is your calling to invent the world's first Wood and Boar Bristle Brush. Who knows? Maybe you'll get rich!

Elodea
October 26th, 2019, 11:23 PM

I tried a BBB somewhat recently and couldn't get it to work for me. Aside from it causing massive amounts of static electricity, I also found that it just wasn't working through all of my hair -- I think the bristles were too dense and my hair is too thick (medium strand thickness and ii/iii) for it to work effectively.

Then more recently, I got a wooden comb which I found to be a large improvement over the BBB. I use the comb after detangling with a regular brush. The comb teeth can get through a section of my hair from scalp to ends relatively easily and don't cause static electricity. The comb I have is a regular comb, although I think it might be interesting to try a wide-tooth wooden comb too. So I'd suggest you try to use a wooden comb and forget about the boar bristles.

FrayedFire
October 27th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Maybe this is your calling to invent the world's first Wood and Boar Bristle Brush. Who knows? Maybe you'll get rich!

Maybe I should invent it! I love bristle boar brush, I have one hard and one soft, and the wet brush was initially nice but I really do want something similar made with wood. I've been using boar brush along with a regular brush for years, does what I want except I can't do it on my scalp, just the length. The wet brush was good for my scalp at first but then idk it just got like... melty plastic and rough and I am afraid to use it.

barnet_fair
October 28th, 2019, 04:10 AM
I like to use a wooden brush* followed by BBB: finger-detangle, then use the wooden brush to massage the scalp, and then brush through with BBB in sections . I'd buy FrayedFire's and Kalamazoo's wood and boar bristle brush! Perhaps with wooden bristles of about the same length as, but thicker than, the boar bristles?

*I asked my mother for a BBB as a Christmas present and she got me the a "woodyhog" (https://kentbrushes.com/woodyhog) brush thinking it was a BBB - but it turned out to be a very nice brush for massaging and soothing the scalp. I couldn't resist getting a Denman BBB (https://www.denmanbrush.com/product/d82m-medium-boar-bristle-grooming-brush.html?r=1048) as well later on!