PDA

View Full Version : Flaky scalp? Help/Advice?

mayoung04
October 25th, 2019, 10:36 PM
Hey everyone so I've had this problem for a few months now. I'm not sure what caused this but my scalp around my hairline around my face has gotten patches of flaky white skin. It scratches off very easily and it seems to be the worst right after I shower and my hair dries. I now shampoo twice a week instead of every other day but it doesn't seem to be making much difference for this. I am not sure if this is dandruff or dry scalp or psoriasis. It does ocassionally get itchy and it comes off easily. Any advice or help would be appreciated. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tLA-m_xlFaqBbnnkOWbljCIZDALAYKlfJEeBDB-LX2PGOw_RvdC8XtVmpnPla8Xj7MEJjM-1TqqkoUDfL575ALzJYvMMb9THwLx5_hDbRlN0aT0BZdMLoHmz8 xaQ2U7isb2x-Qy9NTntdeSILYal5Sh6p26IH32nOkkaVQAoB3y-le4xiepU9vnVNGF8gjoLW32yrGn41Gp275-ZLJMX3hTNI7_1qNUeESntquoQjkuBSwRly2_xta8ICe0UnN9Eh g-3aSb3-MfHgCPPnCs0-sduV0PUEtJC48a10moeZErtwLTZsillv3FW656W6EJqXUGMV5B yx8klL7FfaBmEFF81vimxYRbXwrjGYS1cZKxt_7yn5zd7VRMM-W6gILALbfm_dcVzbCqC1KMHLhr_J5DVnQQvpSCqXm8HhL0o5J3 BqwZkVLQXymy_9WsyNHeulswUqYGvl5bOhjESBkv7BcqcFqEPV rZTi9r2N18ibAc2sUIhEZ_rOiygOJvBi91PhARH_YarbwWwztq 3oBDFIaNXx5v1WJG15CZhQqsjKAvoOEmy0jBFOqS-gRJ8nHaKXaWLROs4cxogbK7ZFBjEvVLOMetwdEE3FRcHjrpwtk 7C50EkXfCp4ab4sqSJS7LHFtTlfS73EzoZraU-j0YiiHtVqJiB1H8bJAC8iWozVKHc91BIbOkDdw=w727-h969-no

Elodea
October 25th, 2019, 11:04 PM
I've had a similar problem before -- in my case, I think it was dry scalp although I'm not entirely sure. What helped for me is that I started washing my hair with diluted shampoo and not using as much directly on my scalp. Depending on the way you wash your hair, there are different methods for how to do it with diluted shampoo. Sometimes my scalp does still get flaky, but not right after it dries from a wash like it did in the past.

So it might be worth a try to start washing with diluted shampoo. Other people might have other suggestions about this though.

Ylva
October 26th, 2019, 05:33 AM
I have experienced this in the past; I used to get a patch like that very close to my widow's peak and possibly in certain other locations as well. It was dry skin just like Elodea also suspected above. I am not sure if it still appears from time to time since I haven't paid much attention to that, but certainly not to the same degree. I am not sure what has caused the change but my change of diet could play a part in it.

Natalina
October 26th, 2019, 07:34 AM
I've experienced something similar, though maybe not as severe- and it's one of the main reasons I always check the ingredients in my shampoo to this day. Silicones. Silicones in my shampoo did nasty stuff to my scalp, although silicone conditioners are fine and most welcome, so long as they don't touch my scalp.

But there could be other factors that caused your problem, for instance the change in weather/season, diet/lifestyle, or maybe it is your shampoo- have you changed it in the last few months? Perhaps the new ingredients irritates your scalp?

Maybe try diluting your shampoo first and see if it lessens the irritation like Elodea suggested, I always dilute my sulfate shampoo and only use concentrated sulfate-free shampoo (mostly because they don't lather very well), though I do it because it makes distributing the shampoo thoroughly easier but it's also a bit more gentle for the scalp.

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2019, 07:49 AM
I can't see the photo but it sounds very similar to what I used to experience. It turned out to be dehydrated skin (not truly 'dry' because my scalp produces an abundance of oil!). For me it was a case of finding the right formulation for my scalp; even most sulphate-free shampoos are too harsh. In the meantime I did find that some light conditioners were useful to keep my scalp happy enough until I found a shampoo that truly agrees with it.

lapushka
October 26th, 2019, 08:22 AM
I can't see the picture, but asking a forum for a diagnosis is a lot!

It could be anything, and the point is if you have a diseased scalp, regular shampoo is NOT going to fix that. It needs to be dealt with and for that reason you need to see a doctor, your GP can help a lot, or you could seek out the help of a dermatologist.

It could be anything ranging from SD (seborrheic dermatitis), which needs ketoconazole 2% in a lot of cases if it's bad, to psoriasis, to eczema. We can't possibly say!

So please make an appointment with your doctor!

If you leave this alone, especially with SD and don't treat it it can lead to a lot of hairloss. I speak from experience as someone who has had SD since she was wee and I'm 47 now and still have bouts of it.

Joules
October 26th, 2019, 08:53 AM
As someone with psoriasis I can assure you that if you had it you would know. Psoriatic patches are red and covered in scales, they're thicker than normal skin and they're so dry they can crack and bleed. Psoriasis is far far away from just dry skin, it looks like something you'd freak out about and run towards the nearest hospital asap, idk why it's brought up here so often in the context of "my scalp is sorta flaky".

I agree with lapushka. Just go to a doctor. You can try an anti-dandruff shampoo just for the sake of it, it definitely wouldn't hurt :shrug: just remember to leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing.

lapushka
October 26th, 2019, 09:02 AM
As someone with psoriasis I can assure you that if you had it you would know. Psoriatic patches are red and covered in scales, they're thicker than normal skin and they're so dry they can crack and bleed. Psoriasis is far far away from just dry skin, it looks like something you'd freak out about and run towards the nearest hospital asap, idk why it's brought up here so often in the context of "my scalp is sorta flaky".

I agree with lapushka. Just go to a doctor. You can try an anti-dandruff shampoo just for the sake of it, it definitely wouldn't hurt :shrug: just remember to leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing.

Oh yes, you could try that, but do leave it in a couple minutes, so it can "work its magic" on your scalp. It needs the time!