PDA

View Full Version : After hip, before classic length...

Cherriezzzzz
October 25th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Anyone else dealing with this odd length? It seems like it's a LONG wait to classic, but I'm wondering even what will I do once I'm THERE also?! Braids look horrible they never stay smooth. A ponytail is a joke! I'm always in a bun of some sort. Any tips on how to keep my hair manageable? I'm using a high quality serum and moisturizing organic shampoo and conditioner. My hair itches me if I leave it down and perpetually gets in my way; bend down to help one of my children and I become Cousin It. I want my hair longer. Will I get used to these issues or "this too shall pass?" I've been annoyed with my hair before while growing it out, but eventually the problem, well grew out haha! My hair is thick, fluffy, and "big." Any helps to get me over this stage?!

MoonRabbit
October 25th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Well there is bcl and tbl milestones to look forward to until classic. As for managing it, you do get used to the length after awhile but to be honest it becomes harder to wear down. Being classic myself and even before then it seemed impractical to have loose. Keep it up and out of the way and try to find a new bun or practical style you can enjoy to wear.

lapushka
October 25th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Anyone else dealing with this odd length? It seems like it's a LONG wait to classic, but I'm wondering even what will I do once I'm THERE also?! Braids look horrible they never stay smooth. A ponytail is a joke! I'm always in a bun of some sort. Any tips on how to keep my hair manageable? I'm using a high quality serum and moisturizing organic shampoo and conditioner. My hair itches me if I leave it down and perpetually gets in my way; bend down to help one of my children and I become Cousin It. I want my hair longer. Will I get used to these issues or "this too shall pass?" I've been annoyed with my hair before while growing it out, but eventually the problem, well grew out haha! My hair is thick, fluffy, and "big." Any helps to get me over this stage?!

I even thought TBL to classic was long enough!

Hip to classic took me from November 2016 to March 2018 without a trim, and my hair grows on average 1/2inch a month. Just to give you a broad idea.

lapis_lazuli
October 25th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Just to commiserate about the wait: Yeah, I remember the time to classic felt like agony, seemed to be the hardest milestone for me to reach. I would probably advise my past self, and you, to just let your hair exist in the background of life as much as possible, and to not preoccupy yourself too much with it. During my hip-tailbone-classic phase, I was measuring every month, and 9/10 times would feel so discouraged when I saw little progress. Quit habits that leave you feeling worse. Time can crawl so slowly, but it needs this time, and really will be worth it :)

As for ways to wear, there's always new buns to learn to make your current length more exciting. I don't like to wear my hair up all the time either, so sometimes I do a half-up bun (essentially wrapping a normal bun but not to completion - I let some length hang down).
It might be overwhelming now, but I do think you can get more used to your current length and longer, maybe with the help of new styling methods. It took me a while to figure out what suited me.

Anyway, the main thing is that this "awkward" stage will pass and you have lots to look forward to. :)

Cherriezzzzz
October 25th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Well there is bcl and tbl milestones to look forward to until classic. As for managing it, you do get used to the length after awhile but to be honest it becomes harder to wear down. Being classic myself and even before then it seemed impractical to have loose. Keep it up and out of the way and try to find a new bun or practical style you can enjoy to wear.

BCL! THAT'S where I am... I didn't think if the right name!

Cherriezzzzz
October 25th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Just to commiserate about the wait: Yeah, I remember the time to classic felt like agony, seemed to be the hardest milestone for me to reach. I would probably advise my past self, and you, to just let your hair exist in the background of life as much as possible, and to not preoccupy yourself too much with it. During my hip-tailbone-classic phase, I was measuring every month, and 9/10 times would feel so discouraged when I saw little progress. Quit habits that leave you feeling worse. Time can crawl so slowly, but it needs this time, and really will be worth it :)

As for ways to wear, there's always new buns to learn to make your current length more exciting. I don't like to wear my hair up all the time either, so sometimes I do a half-up bun (essentially wrapping a normal bun but not to completion - I let some length hang down).
It might be overwhelming now, but I do think you can get more used to your current length and longer, maybe with the help of new styling methods. It took me a while to figure out what suited me.

Anyway, the main thing is that this "awkward" stage will pass and you have lots to look forward to. :)

I'm not to concerned with getting to classic. My hair grows very fast... it's that my hair is interfering with my life haha! I'm not pining after a length, hating the in between. I feel like I'm living my life and suddenly BAM my hair attacks! ;)

The reason I wrote this post...

My cat litter box is in my laundry room. I was taking clothes out if the dryer and one item fell on the floor. I naturally bent down further to grab it up, my hair fell into the litter box :/

So I just don't know how to live with this beautiful beast I've created!

lapis_lazuli
October 25th, 2019, 08:47 PM
I'm not to concerned with getting to classic. My hair grows very fast... it's that my hair is interfering with my life haha! I'm not pining after a length, hating the in between. I feel like I'm living my life and suddenly BAM my hair attacks! ;)

My cat litter box is in my laundry room. I was taking clothes out if the dryer and one item fell on the floor. I naturally bent down further to grab it up, my hair fell into the litter box :/

Yep, been there. My hair has lost most its privileges to be loose - in the bun it stays :lol:
So it's the time to look into new styles to get at least some of it out of your way. You need to tame this beautiful beast now; it will only get stronger :D

C_Bookworm
October 25th, 2019, 09:28 PM
I feel ya. Classic seems like it’s ages away. I’m at sit length while wet, but I think I’ll wait for dry to call it. And as I primarily wear my hair down, I keep finding new ways to tangle it in things :rollin:

Elodea
October 25th, 2019, 10:17 PM
I'm also at this odd length. I consider my hair to be somewhere past tailbone length but not quite at classic yet. Based on some rough calculations, I think I will be at classic by the end of the year, but the current in-between phase is indeed somewhat annoying and I do have the problem with my hair dragging on the floor/ground if I bend down while it's loose. I'm also wearing buns the majority of the time, although sometimes I do switch things up and wear a braided style for a few days and just don't worry about it not looking smooth after the first day.

I haven't entirely decided yet if I want to keep growing past classic (to fingertip/thigh/maybe even knee length?) or once I get there, cut back to waist or hip and be able to wear my hair loose more easily. Seeing as it'll be a gradual change to grow to classic, I guess it won't feel all that different in terms of living with it, but then at least I can say that I reached that milestone, and I'll decide what I want to at that point.

I haven't really tried half-up styles at this point, but I think they could help with keeping the front section of hair back and out of the way while the lower section is still loose, and it'd be a bit of a change of pace from a regular bun.

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Yep, been there. My hair has lost most its privileges to be loose - in the bun it stays :lol:
So it's the time to look into new styles to get at least some of it out of your way. You need to tame this beautiful beast now; it will only get stronger :D

Seconding this. With extra length comes extra styles you can probably do, and as your bun grows you may also need longer/larger hairtoys. Enjoy learning new styles, and enjoy growing/upgrading your hairtoy collection if you do continue growing :D

A crochet braid is excellent for eating up length of you don't want to wear a bun, though in all honesty I do not know whether it would be possible yet at your length with iii hair :hmm: if not, then many-strand braids or braided braids should eat some length.

MoonRabbit
October 26th, 2019, 09:03 AM
BCL! THAT'S where I am... I didn't think if the right name!

I had a difficult time adjusting to the new length at bcl. Growing past your upper body changes so much it literally feels like you sprouted another appendage you have no control over. Then I had to get used to it all over again when I hit classic!

spidermom
October 26th, 2019, 09:29 AM
I truly expected classic length to be a lot more fun than it was. Truth be told, it was pain in my ace most of the time, or maybe I should say pain in my head because I had to wear it up all the time, and up-styles can become very uncomfortable over time. Mine tended to sag unless it was a braided bun, then it tended to pull. It was such a relief to get it cut shorter, but it must be said - I see pictures of my classic-length hair, and it looks so beautiful that I miss it.

The-Young-Maid
October 26th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Yeah classic is taking forever. I don't wear my hair up at all because it's too heavy and pulls on my scalp/sags no matter what style I try. So it's either down or braided everyday. I have a couple toys for doing half ups but only if I'm going out.

Cherriezzzzz
October 26th, 2019, 11:48 AM
I had a difficult time adjusting to the new length at bcl. Growing past your upper body changes so much it literally feels like you sprouted another appendage you have no control over. Then I had to get used to it all over again when I hit classic!

This is such new territory for me. I had it in my mind to grow it out to fingertip length (mid thigh) but knee, even calf is very tempting... but that's like going from having one kid to having 5.

Cherriezzzzz
October 26th, 2019, 11:49 AM
I truly expected classic length to be a lot more fun than it was. Truth be told, it was pain in my ace most of the time, or maybe I should say pain in my head because I had to wear it up all the time, and up-styles can become very uncomfortable over time. Mine tended to sag unless it was a braided bun, then it tended to pull. It was such a relief to get it cut shorter, but it must be said - I see pictures of my classic-length hair, and it looks so beautiful that I miss it.

This is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of. All this getting long and I never got to the "I'm so happy I'm at goal!"

barnet_fair
October 28th, 2019, 09:46 AM

I'm nowhere near classic but I just love the way you phrased this!

TatsuOni
October 28th, 2019, 10:41 AM
I never like to wear my hair loose at any length, more than on a few special occasions. So I was very happy when I could finally put it up!

After reaching classic (now mid thigh and still growing) I could finally do a coronet braid. Just pinning a braid around my head and it's such a quick, easy and comfortable way to get rid of the hair when I'm exercising, doing chores or just laying on my back, reading. Milkmaid braids are also nice, but not as quick to pin as a coronet braid.

Taped braids, are also really nice and comfortable!

And my braids have always shred, at any length, but it's okay.

Cherriezzzzz
October 28th, 2019, 12:04 PM
I never like to wear my hair loose at any length, more than on a few special occasions. So I was very happy when I could finally put it up!

After reaching classic (now mid thigh and still growing) I could finally do a coronet braid. Just pinning a braid around my head and it's such a quick, easy and comfortable way to get rid of the hair when I'm exercising, doing chores or just laying on my back, reading. Milkmaid braids are also nice, but not as quick to pin as a coronet braid.

Taped braids, are also really nice and comfortable!

And my braids have always shred, at any length, but it's okay.

Yes that's a dream of mine, to be able to pin up my hair at all. I've very thick, full hair. Some people can have thick hair but it's not bushy (like asain or indian hair types) Even if I've gotten it up, it didn't stay long. Plus my ends are SO thick there's no blending them into my head, like tucking them.

Panthera
October 28th, 2019, 12:15 PM
It's interesting how different it is for everyone. I'm wearing my hair down and braided a lot more because buns have become too heavy and my hair toys are too small too. I can no longer use just one hair stick but I only have two pairs. :hmm: I don't know how long my hair is at the moment (no length check challenge), the bun situation was fine when I hit tbl and it was not a long time ago. Maybe I got a growth spurt or something.

Sofialu
October 29th, 2019, 05:28 AM

I have this same problem, I go to pick things up and my hair ends up in things I'd rather it didn't!! Mine is BCL and I am useless at up-dos but my hair is thick, wavy and poofy so I find buns very difficult to keep in but then the hair makes me so hot sometimes. I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I feel your pain!

SwanFeathers
October 29th, 2019, 04:47 PM
I'm having similar problems at almost-hip. My hair is not iii but it isn't ii either and it fights its way out of most buns at this length. It's wavy and bits are curly if I style it with the CG method, but it's just so much work and product to style loose. to do almost any bun styles I like I've estimated that I might have to be mid-thigh (I'm short) and I'm already totally disenchanted with my hair when it's down as it breaks and snags in everything. :(
So no solutions here but commiseration.

Jo Ann
October 29th, 2019, 10:34 PM
What I've usually done was wrap my hair around my neck or gather it together and toss it over one shoulder to get it out of the way when I'm picking up something off the floor--think about how you get it out of your way when you go to the bathroom...