PDA

View Full Version : How to Prep Hair for Surgery?

BerrySara
October 25th, 2019, 09:42 AM
So I am scheduled for surgery in December. I was told that I would be going home day after surgery but would be in bed for at least a week. Recovery time about 5-6 weeks (meaning return to work).

Well during my time here on LHC I have seen posts about hair tangles during hospitalization so bad that had to be completely cut out. As well as others who lost a lot of hair.

So I am wondering what I could do to prepare my hair for this journey. I don't suppose there is much to do to prevent hair loss? Anything I can take ahead of time?

For tangles (my hair is VERY tangle prone and dries out easily - my usual pineapple would be disastrous if I don't refresh or brush my hair for a week or two) I need some way to contain my hair that would not require to have to redo or brush it for about a week since I will have very limited mobility in my upper body.

My mom will be with me to help during recovery but I think any washing will be limited to sponge baths.
It is likely that I wouldn't be able to wash my hair for two weeks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

blackgothicdoll
October 25th, 2019, 09:48 AM
I hope everything is ok and that you have a safe surgery and a smooth recovery!

Would you be against doing braids, either two dutchbraids or a couple of cornrows? I think styles for curly hair that keep the hair compact are most efficient in preventing matting. Also, cornrows expose the scalp which can allow it to be cleaned and washed. After that time has past, make sure *not* to wet them before unravelling them (it will absolutely mat). Instead, unravel them, add generous oil to manually remove shed hair, and then go back over in sections (perhaps fourths) with conditioner and repeat. After that it should be ready to wet and wash.

TreesOfEternity
October 25th, 2019, 09:51 AM
First of all I hope you are feeling good, I'm sure it's going to go perfectly fine :flower:

Personally I would wash my hair thorougly the day before, and then apply conditioner and oil in it and do milkmaid braids, tapping them with lace if necesary so they don't slide. Then I would wear a satin scarf during those days, asking my mom to re-adjust it if it happens to be falling off.

TatsuOni
October 25th, 2019, 10:04 AM
When I had surgery I had to wash my body and hair with a special "soap" before and wasn't allowed to apply anything to my hair or body after that. It was very drying. Will you have to do that too?

Braids are probably a good idea and maybe you mum can help you to put in leave ins and such after the surgery if your hair is very dry? It should be doable to add it to a braid/braids. Like a day or two after.

A satin scarf after like Trees suggested also sounds like a good idea.

lunalocks
October 25th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Definitely try out some styles beforehand and see how well they hold. I did not do this and my taped braids fell down in recovery and the staff had no idea what to do with them. I could not use my right arm at all (shoulder surgery) for weeks and DH could not follow directions to secure a bun. So frustrating. Do you have someone who could brush and re braid your hair daily or every few days>

Cg
October 25th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Braids, for sure, and some silk scarves to go over. The braids won't completely prevent tangling but should limit the number of hairs involved, and the scarves are both protective and pretty.

BerrySara
October 25th, 2019, 12:43 PM
I hope everything is ok and that you have a safe surgery and a smooth recovery!

Would you be against doing braids, either two dutchbraids or a couple of cornrows? I think styles for curly hair that keep the hair compact are most efficient in preventing matting. Also, cornrows expose the scalp which can allow it to be cleaned and washed. After that time has past, make sure *not* to wet them before unravelling them (it will absolutely mat). Instead, unravel them, add generous oil to manually remove shed hair, and then go back over in sections (perhaps fourths) with conditioner and repeat. After that it should be ready to wet and wash.

Thank you blackgothicdoll, I'm having surgery to elevate back pain that I have dealt with most of the year from an injury, so I am looking forward to some relief once I am recovered!

I am not against doing braids but I have a lot of layers so my braids typically start shredded within a day and I am worried it wont last overnight, let alone all week. However, I think cornrows or doing 4/5 dutch braids might help contain it a lot better and last longer as well so that's a good idea. I will try it out and sleep on it this weekend to see how well it holds.

That's great about adding oil to manually remove shed hairs to prevent matting, I hadn't really considered what to do on the other end of it to prepare for washing it.

First of all I hope you are feeling good, I'm sure it's going to go perfectly fine :flower:

Personally I would wash my hair thorougly the day before, and then apply conditioner and oil in it and do milkmaid braids, tapping them with lace if necesary so they don't slide. Then I would wear a satin scarf during those days, asking my mom to re-adjust it if it happens to be falling off.

Thank you TreesOfEternity, I sure hope so and honestly so far I'm looking forward to the outcome. Nerves haven't set in yet which is good. Id rather leave that to last minute if I can help it lol.

I agree, I plan on washing my hair the day before. I am not sure what is meant by tapping the braids with lace? I did a google search but mostly got wig related info.

The satin scarf is an excellent suggestion, thank you! That's a great way to deal with the shredding and containing it longer. I will get one soon to try out and sleep in.

When I had surgery I had to wash my body and hair with a special "soap" before and wasn't allowed to apply anything to my hair or body after that. It was very drying. Will you have to do that too?

Braids are probably a good idea and maybe you mum can help you to put in leave ins and such after the surgery if your hair is very dry? It should be doable to add it to a braid/braids. Like a day or two after.

A satin scarf after like Trees suggested also sounds like a good idea.

Honestly TatsuOni, I am not really sure yet. I really hope that wont be the case for me but we will see. I have an appointment with the surgeon next Thursday to discuss details leading up to and during, recovery etc So I will know a lot more next week.

Yea I think the braids are probably my best bet and that is a good point, I can ask my mom to add leave in to the braids even if its just sitting on top. She wont be able to re-braid it for me but I'm sure she will have no problem with adding product. Thank you!

BerrySara
October 25th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Definitely try out some styles beforehand and see how well they hold. I did not do this and my taped braids fell down in recovery and the staff had no idea what to do with them. I could not use my right arm at all (shoulder surgery) for weeks and DH could not follow directions to secure a bun. So frustrating. Do you have someone who could brush and re braid your hair daily or every few days>

That's a good one, I will try some different braids over the next some weeks and see how well it holds. My hair isn't generally slippery at all but with tons of layers, they do unravel. I will see if I can secure the braids in place around my head in a comfortable way to allow me to sleep and lay in bed all week.

Unfortunately with my hair texture, its not easy to brush. Typically I have to wet it and add lots of slippery conditioner and detangle. Its too much work for someone else to do and honestly my mom's hair is 1b/c so this would be out of her element. I could probably ask her to re-braid the lower portions of the braids if they are coming apart or too dry and need to be moisturized.

Braids, for sure, and some silk scarves to go over. The braids won't completely prevent tangling but should limit the number of hairs involved, and the scarves are both protective and pretty.

Awesome, yea the braids definitely makes sense and I really like the silk/satin scarves suggestions! I hadn't thought of that at all and I really feel that would help with making the braids last longer. I will try it out ahead of time.

With potential post surgery blues, I can totally see how wearing a pretty scarf could really help feeling a little less of a mess hehe.

Hasse
October 25th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Good luck with your surgery, I hope all goes well.

On top of what the others suggested, it might be a good idea to deep condition your hair during a few washes leading up to the surgery. That way your hair will be quite moisturized going into it and maybe dry out less quick. Leave-ins are a good idea, maybe a bit of oil on top.

BerrySara
October 25th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Good luck with your surgery, I hope all goes well.

On top of what the others suggested, it might be a good idea to deep condition your hair during a few washes leading up to the surgery. That way your hair will be quite moisturized going into it and maybe dry out less quick. Leave-ins are a good idea, maybe a bit of oil on top.

Thank you Hasse :) Makes sense to go in with well moisturized and conditioned hair. I shall do so, thank you.

embee
October 25th, 2019, 04:27 PM
I would seriously consider lengthening time between washes ASAP, to at least a week or 10 days. That should take care of the worst of that. Then braids or topknot would be my choice, although our hair types are very different.

There is always "dry shampoo" and I used it once when I had a hospitalization. Can't say it did much except make me feel better about my hair. I was just *so grateful* to have the mess combed out and the worst of the blood clots removed. Ugh. (... aftermath of a wreck, not head surgery)

FrayedFire
October 25th, 2019, 09:41 PM
I would aim for at least 8 braids, if not more. As many as possible. And I would avoid dry shampoo unless you have experience with being unable to wash it out for weeks, cause that can get itchy and gunky fast... not sure about the leave in but be careful with that near your scalp. Best of luck!