PDA

View Full Version : I now have to wash my hair every day. How to protect it from hygral fatigue?

esfand
October 22nd, 2019, 03:33 PM
I am in the military and in order to keep my (almost classic length!) hair in regs, I use a lot of oil, hair lotion/conditioners, and then finish it with gel. I hate having to sleep in all this gunk, so I inevitably hit the shower and wash it off. I usually wash my hair every 2-3 days with shampoo, but now it seems I better wash it every day. I am not worried about protecting the scalp because it's healthier when it's washed often, but the length itself? What are the means to protect it from hygral fatigue?

Here is my game plan:
Keep using oil so it works as a pre-wash treatment before washing hair
The conditioner I use to style my hair can sort of act as the conditioner portion of CWC method (?)
Use Olaplex shampoo to help with the disulfide bonds
Use the blow dryer on cool/warm setting to prevent hair from being wet any longer than it has to (plus I hate having wet hair for hours)

Any other ideas? Or am I freaking out over nothing?

honeybee93
October 22nd, 2019, 04:10 PM
While I cannot speak to your other points, I will share that the other day I was searching the forum for threads on wet bunning. I read that someone's friends, also in the military, ended up with moldy hair because they never dried it properly. They had to do big chops! I think it's wise to use the blow dryer as an aid so that you don't keep your hair too wet for too long, as you said.

Congratulations on being classic length, and I send all my best to you. I do not know if you are in the U.S. military but if you are, thank you for your service.

blackgothicdoll
October 22nd, 2019, 04:18 PM
While I cannot speak to your other points, I will share that the other day I was searching the forum for threads on wet bunning. I read that someone's friends, also in the military, ended up with moldy hair because they never dried it properly. They had to do big chops! I think it's wise to use the blow dryer as an aid so that you don't keep your hair too wet for too long, as you said.

Congratulations on being classic length, and I send all my best to you. I do not know if you are in the U.S. military but if you are, thank you for your service.

I would take that with a grain of salt. In order to get my hair in regs I had to wet it every morning, then apply my leave ins, heavy gel, top it with oil. My hair band could get a little smelly so I'd suggest using the plastic type without the cloth cover, and using a mesh donut instead of a sock if you're using one of those.

Other than that, my hair never experienced mildew or hydra fatigue, and it was wet the entire time. I would suggest using products with protein to fortify your hair, since you can definitely get moisture overload from this as well.

honeybee93
October 22nd, 2019, 06:03 PM
I would take that with a grain of salt. In order to get my hair in regs I had to wet it every morning, then apply my leave ins, heavy gel, top it with oil. My hair band could get a little smelly so I'd suggest using the plastic type without the cloth cover, and using a mesh donut instead of a sock if you're using one of those.

Other than that, my hair never experienced mildew or hydra fatigue, and it was wet the entire time. I would suggest using products with protein to fortify your hair, since you can definitely get moisture overload from this as well.

Thanks for your feedback blackgothicdoll! :)

esfand
October 22nd, 2019, 06:53 PM
I will share that the other day I was searching the forum for threads on wet bunning. I read that someone's friends, also in the military, ended up with moldy hair because they never dried it properly. They had to do big chops! I think it's wise to use the blow dryer as an aid so that you don't keep your hair too wet for too long, as you said.

Lol thanks and yes, US military. We also heard that story in boot camp as a warning to let your hair dry before bunning it, otherwise you'll get sick.

I don't think a little bit of spritz will harm hair (and I do it all the time), but it's another story if your hair is soaked/damp from a full on shower. That's what the story was about - some girl didn't let her hair dry after showering and would just bun it, even going to sleep in it instead of letting her hair down. This went on for days, and one day turns out her hair was growing mold and she had to cut it off.

Did you shower every day when you served? How long was your hair? I am sure the other girls wash their hair every day, but they also don't have hair as long as mine. It takes much longer for long hair to dry (in my experience) and accumulated damage shows more in long hair. It's possible the other girls go to sleep with gel still in their hair, but I just cannot!

I think the gel will help with the protein department. I noticed that my hair feels stronger and softer after using gel and then washing it off.

blackgothicdoll
October 22nd, 2019, 07:02 PM
Lol thanks and yes, US military. We also heard that story in boot camp as a warning to let your hair dry before bunning it, otherwise you'll get sick.

I don't think a little bit of spritz will harm hair (and I do it all the time), but it's another story if your hair is soaked/damp from a full on shower. That's what the story was about - some girl didn't let her hair dry after showering and would just bun it, even going to sleep in it instead of letting her hair down. This went on for days, and one day turns out her hair was growing mold and she had to cut it off.

Did you shower every day when you served? How long was your hair? I am sure the other girls wash their hair every day, but they also don't have hair as long as mine. It takes much longer for long hair to dry (in my experience) and accumulated damage shows more in long hair. It's possible the other girls go to sleep with gel still in their hair, but I just cannot!

I think the gel will help with the protein department. I noticed that my hair feels stronger and softer after using gel and then washing it off.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that - I would wet my hair every day in the shower with conditioner. I have type 4 hair, it is most malleable when wet so this was necessary to get the hair tamed. My hair was a bit past SL. In the Navy, we must cut out hair above the collar when first joining, so bunning is only permitted and necessary after boot camp. It would be wet until the evening, damp on the inside the next morning when it was time to wet it again.

Most products have preservatives so I'm u sure what caused her hair to mold, but I did this for over a year without my hair molding so who knows.

esfand
October 22nd, 2019, 07:13 PM
In the Navy, we must cut out hair above the collar when first joining, so bunning is only permitted and necessary after boot camp. It would be wet until the evening, damp on the inside the next morning when it was time to wet it again.

Most products have preservatives so I'm u sure what caused her hair to mold, but I did this for over a year without my hair molding so who knows.

I am not sure if Navy still does that, I hope not. When I was at MEPs, I stayed at a hotel with a girl joining the Navy and she had very beautiful glossy brown hair down to her back and we were wondering if the Navy still makes people cut it.

Hair being a bit damp next morning doesn't sound bad. I am guessing you co-washed?

Did you do anything to protect it before the wash? I am guessing we kinda don't have to "prepare" for it if our hair already has oils and proteins from styling products.

blackgothicdoll
October 22nd, 2019, 07:27 PM
I am not sure if Navy still does that, I hope not. When I was at MEPs, I stayed at a hotel with a girl joining the Navy and she had very beautiful glossy brown hair down to her back and we were wondering if the Navy still makes people cut it.

Hair being a bit damp next morning doesn't sound bad. I am guessing you co-washed?

Did you do anything to protect it before the wash? I am guessing we kinda don't have to "prepare" for it if our hair already has oils and proteins from styling products.

I forgot things might have changed, it always feels like a couple of weeks ago that I was there haha. It wasn't a big deal, it seems like everyone's hair grew back so fast after, some even preferred the short cut since it was easier to maintain and shortened the morning routine which was already a time crunch. The cutting of hair to join the service was symbolic, I wasn't and still am not against it. It is a volunteer service after all.

Yes, I cowashed and never really prepped for it. Whatever was in my hair the night before was whatever was in when I cowashed. I'd shampoo and deep condition at the end of the week, I think by then there was plenty of product to buffer that. Now I'm not saying this was an awesome routine, I didn't care about my hair and it grew just fine either way. Just saying my hair was almost always damp and never molded. Lol

AutobotsAttack
October 22nd, 2019, 07:38 PM
Don’t know how many times I’ve said this, but I guess I’ll say it again :
Unless you are keeping your hair constantly wet (like sopping wet) for weeks on end, it’s nearly impossible to experience hygral fatigue. If your hair is allowed to dry to any certain extent, for a reasonable amount of time you’ll be fine. Even if you keep your hair damp bunned, your ends are still nowhere near as wet, or contain the same amount of water as they would if you actively in the shower under running water, or got out of the shower while your hair was still completely wet.

desisparkles
October 22nd, 2019, 08:33 PM
I don't have experience with it myself but I can say that I washed my hair every few days then immediately bunned for years - went to sleep with wet hair and woke up with wet hair and my hair flourished, never molded and grew to hip.

It did smell a lil funny sometimes though.

Also, thank you for your service.

I love seeing mil women with those big beautiful smoothed buns because I could never get mine that sleek - like not even once - that takes SKILLS!

akurah
October 22nd, 2019, 11:20 PM
Unless you are keeping your hair constantly wet (like sopping wet) for weeks on end, it’s nearly impossible to experience hygral fatigue. If your hair is allowed to dry to any certain extent, for a reasonable amount of time you’ll be fine. Even if you keep your hair damp bunned, your ends are still nowhere near as wet, or contain the same amount of water as they would if you actively in the shower under running water, or got out of the shower while your hair was still completely wet.

Came to say this, glad to see it said. I'd also like to add that if your hair is on the straighter side, like 2b or less, the odds of hygral fatigue are usually lower.

Hasse
October 24th, 2019, 01:41 AM
What does keeping your hair in regs mean? I'm not familiar with (US?) military hair rules. And I'm not from the US either.

honeybee93
October 24th, 2019, 02:18 PM

Thank you, this is news to me and is reassuring. I'd like to damp bun my hair every day but have been too scared to try.

LittleHealthy
October 24th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Many women with long manes wash daily and always have! I think, and hope, it would be just fine :) especially considering you're oiling the hair and caring for it so well in other ways too :)

blackgothicdoll
October 24th, 2019, 03:48 PM
What does keeping your hair in regs mean? I'm not familiar with (US?) military hair rules. And I'm not from the US either.

Short for regulations. Depending on branch, there are a number of rules that the hair must follow to look in regulations. The term 'in regs' for hair mostly refers to being properly groomed (no fly-aways) and in a permitted hairstyle.

jane_marie
October 24th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Short for regulations. Depending on branch, there are a number of rules that the hair must follow to look in regulations. The term 'in regs' for hair mostly refers to being properly groomed (no fly-aways) and in a permitted hairstyle.

Sorry, I find this fascinating. What are the permitted styles for long hair?

lapushka
October 24th, 2019, 03:52 PM
I think you'll be fine. Also agree with getting it dry within a couple hours. I typically leave mine in a towel for 30-45min., then airdry for 2-4H and then diffuse for 5min. as that's all that it needs to get dry at that point. But you could air dry for say 1H or 2 and then dry it.

I think there is nothing whatsoever wrong with washing it daily. But that's me. Just use a good conditioner, and a deep conditioner once in a while and you'll be fine!

blackgothicdoll
October 24th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Sorry, I find this fascinating. What are the permitted styles for long hair?

It differ from branches. In most branches hair must always be above the collar, so long hair is considered hair past the collar, which must be in a bun. No foreign objects, so no buns with hair sticks. Any sort of twists and braids have to be symmetric, so if you do a braid on one side of the head you have to do a braid on the other side. The bun can't extend a certain amount of inches out past your collar horizontally (can't remember how many off the top of my head) and can't pass the width of your head either.

Copy-paste from Army to be even more precise:

Female soldiers will ensure their hair is neatly groomed, that the length and bulk of the hair are not excessive, and that the hair does not present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. Likewise, trendy styles that result in shaved portions of the scalp (other than the neckline) or designs cut into the hair are prohibited. Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows lie snugly on the head, and any holding devices comply with the standards. Dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts of hair) are prohibited in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair will not fall over the eyebrows or extend below the bottom edge of the collar at any time during normal activity or when standing in formation. Long hair that falls naturally below the bottom edge of the collar, to include braids, will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned, so no free-hanging hair is visible. This includes styles worn with the improved physical fitness uniform (IPFU).

Styles that are lopsided or distinctly unbalanced are prohibited. Ponytails, pigtails, or braids that are not secured to the head (allowing hair to hang freely), widely spaced individual hanging locks, and other extreme styles that protrude from the head are prohibited. Extensions, weaves, wigs, and hairpieces are authorized only if these additions have the same general appearance as the individual’s natural hair. Additionally, any wigs, extensions, hairpieces, or weaves must comply with grooming policies.

Females will ensure that hairstyles do not interfere with proper wear of military headgear, protective masks, or equipment at any time. When headgear is worn, the hair will not extend below the bottom edge of the front of the headgear or below the bottom edge of the collar.

Hair-holding devices may be used only for securing the hair. Soldiers will not place hair-holding devices in the hair for decorative purposes. All hair-holding devices must be plain and of a color as close to the soldier’s hair as is possible or clear. Authorized devices include, but are not limited to, small, plain scrunchies (elastic hair bands covered with material), barrettes, combs, pins, clips, rubber bands, and hair bands. Devices that are conspicuous, excessive or decorative are prohibited. Some examples of prohibited devices include, but are not limited to, large, lacy scrunchies; beads, bows, or claw clips; clips, pins, or barrettes with butterflies, flowers, sparkles, gems, or scalloped edges; and bows made from hairpieces.

Due to the larger presence of non-white people with hair that genetically doesn't quite listen to these rules, Navy came out with additional regulations. Locs are permitted, the term dreadlocks is prohibited due to the disparaging tone, regulations were created for afro's, ponytails are permitted (or puffs, though of course all the straight-haired girls walk around in ponytails now and look silly to me), and symmetrical braids like the crown braid shown in the .pdf are allowed too. Single twists are allowed too, they previously weren't (even though single braids were, could never wrap my head around that one).

https://www.navy.mil/ah_online/documents/FemaleRegsPrint.pdf

Jo Ann
October 25th, 2019, 02:19 AM
Back in the 1970's, when I was in the US Air Force, I wore my BSL hair in a peacock twist secured with a barrette; one lady I was stationed with in then West Germany had classic length hair and she wore hers in a crown braid when she was in uniform. Some wore buns, some wore braids secured with hairpins, and others wore twists of some type--it all depended the lady's preference.