PDA

View Full Version : Another Mason Pearson thread w/ questions - wavy/curly hair

alys
October 22nd, 2019, 06:52 AM
Hi Everyone. It's been a long time, it's so nice to get back into the community.

I've searched the forum and archives and read up as much as I can about Mason Pearson brushes. I have some questions and was hoping there might be some folks out there not too 'over it' to chat about these brushes :o

Dunno if my hair type in siggy is 100% accurate. My hair is SL, dry, I don't have a lot of strands but the ones I have are coarse, wavy/curly and of medium thickness. Poofy and dry, although not so much frizzy. Some scrunching out of the shower and my hair is spirals. Allowed to dry in a bun and it's wavy. My pony tail can be scrunched down to the diameter of about a nickel on my full head of hair. HTH.

I would love to hear form anyone, but especially those with wavy/curly hair. Specifically have you noticed a difference in your hair's health and condition after implementing an MP brush? I plan to use mine to spread oil at nights before bed and for overall scalp health/stimulation. Not using it as a styling tool at all.

Have these brushes fallen out of favor? I sometimes wonder if much of their popularity was based on hyperbole and tradition vs. actual efficacy. I'm excited to try mine and (hopefully) not be let down? Thanks much!

desisparkles
October 22nd, 2019, 08:29 PM
Wavy here! I just got my MP BBB so have only used it a few times.

I was using it from roots to tips but after searching on the forum about it - I read how another wavy (WildcatDiva) doesn't brush it all the way to the ends to prevent damage and I've also started doing that.

It is def getting my scalp and I'm very tender headed but I enjoy it.

I haven't had mine long enough to comment on the effects tho.

SpottedBackson
October 22nd, 2019, 11:36 PM
I can attest to the fact that Mason Pearson brushes are very, very worth it. I first got one when I started water-only washing. At some point it was stolen and I was soooo upset about it. I got a new one and demonstrated to my father, who knows nothing about hair, why it was worth the money. He agreed that he could see a massive difference in shine after just one brushing.

I have a nylon/boar bristle brush which works much better for me than a standard boar bristle-only brush though I have not tried a Mason Pearson bristle-only brush.

Now, all that said, I have straight/wavy hair. A Mason Pearson brush might not be the right thing for curly hair. From what I've heard brushing and even combing is generally not recommended for curlies but wavies might get away with it.

alys
October 23rd, 2019, 03:27 PM
Thank you for the info! I will keep those suggestions in mind. My ends are very sad and don’t need any more agitation.

alys
October 23rd, 2019, 04:21 PM
Thanks, I've imagined that it won't be great if I want to wear my hair curly. I rarely do that, I put it up and train it to be straight/wavy. I was planning on using the brush for scalp massage and oil dispersion rather than a styling tool. I'm sorry yours got stolen, they aren't cheap :(