PDA

View Full Version : Winter 2019

longhairdreamee
October 17th, 2019, 07:21 AM
What are you planning to do to protect your hair this winter? Wanting to get an idea of what most do in the winter months to maintain moisture and health. First winter season actually trying to care for my hair so it continues to grow. :joy:

Hasse
October 17th, 2019, 07:37 AM
I want to make or buy a silk beanie liner, so I can protect my hair when it gets really cold. Haven't thought yet about how to moisturize my hair better during the next few months.

MusicalSpoons
October 17th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Honestly, nothing special! But the parts of my routine that I think help most keeping hair moisturised are:

- wearing it in buns, always, with only very rare exceptions
- double-conditioning; for me that's CWC but I put the first C on for *at least* an hour before I get in the shower
- rinse-out oil on the lengths between shampoo and conditioner
- oiling overnight before washing
- scalp washes for when my lengths don't need a wash but my scalp does
- sleeping on a satin pillowcase, wearing a satin bonnet with my hair bunned underneath :grin:

I haven't found a hat that definitively doesn't dry my hair out at all but I do have a soft, stretchy hat which will fit over my bun. Braids dry my hair out like nobody's business, unless my hair is very heavily oiled. On the rare occasion I wear a braid I will run a light coating of oil over it and a bit more on the tassel, then pamper my hair within the next day or two to make up for it.

Edit: this is the very first year we have central heating so I will be alert in case I need to tweak anything in my routine, if the air is drier for instance.

MoonRabbit
October 17th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Humidifier. That's the only thing I do differently in winter.

Groovy Granny
October 17th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Normally I switch to heavier conditioners, but since the New Year I have evolved into more oil based products and serums (Ors/Biosilk/Neutrogena Triple Moisture) so I don't expect to do need to do that this Winter.
When I spot extra dryness, I do ROO or add a bit of oil to damp hair before my leave in.

Plus I use serums often during the week, before/after bedtime braids.
Biosilk 17 Miracle leave in conditioner can be used on wet/dry hair and is also very nice for poast shampoo or quick touchups.

In cold/dry weather when my hair is sleek/wavy, I love my Vented BBB Wet Brush am/pm to detangle; it helps distributes sebum, oils, and serums down the length.
But not in humid weather when I have my curl explosions; brushing = FRIZZ :tmi: lol

Typically in very cold/wet weather I wear hoods or hats and put my hair in a bun.

If I am indoors, I enjoy wearing my hair down, and even when the weather is milder to keep my neck/back warm:heart:

Ylva
October 17th, 2019, 11:45 AM
I will continue to do my WCC + leave-in cream + oil/silicone serum routine, as well as wear my hair mostly in a bun as to not let it take a beating from heavy winter clothes.

MusicalSpoons
October 17th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Oh yes, wearing my buns higher so they don't rub on collars!
Usually I prefer my buns to be mid-low on my head but the pressure of a college pushing up underneath (even if it's not touching the gun) will loosen the bun, even to the point of it falling out! I don't go out much so I tend to forget each winter until it's happened a few times - trying to remember from the start, this winter!

Lady Stardust
October 17th, 2019, 12:14 PM
I need to find a way to protect my nape hairs this winter. They rubbed on the collar of my coat last year as they were too short to reach the bun. This year it’s just the baby hairs but I will want to protect them because I can see last year’s damage.

The only thing I can think of is wearing a silk/satin scarf or headband under my hat.

unheardletters
October 17th, 2019, 12:42 PM
I don’t change my hair routine from summer to winter, my curls loosen up in winter though. I do want to get some silk to line my hats.

Arciela
October 17th, 2019, 12:49 PM
I'll continue with cowashing, just try to wash less since I feel colder with wet hair..it takes forever to dry..at least the entire day. Probably will just wear my hair up more is all really!

I use a humidifier also.

Tinyponies
October 17th, 2019, 01:13 PM
I need to find a way to protect my nape hairs this winter. They rubbed on the collar of my coat last year as they were too short to reach the bun. This year it’s just the baby hairs but I will want to protect them because I can see last year’s damage.

The only thing I can think of is wearing a silk/satin scarf or headband under my hat.
Thank you for reminding me of this! Last year i wore a folded up silk scarf tied snugly around my neck and I thought it really helped, it kept those nape hairs going up the right way and away from my collars.

Nox_Inber
October 18th, 2019, 06:47 PM
This thread makes me thankful that I don't live anywhere with super cold/dry winters. But I've had some low humidity days lately and used Freya's and Samhain Spell as a pre-poo. It seems to be helping :D

C_Bookworm
October 18th, 2019, 07:01 PM
I’ll switch to night washes instead of morning washes when it gets really cold. I don’t enjoy my hair drying going past about the 2 hour mark. Aside from that, not much changes. Like Nox_Inber, winters aren’t bad here.

AmaryllisRed
October 18th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Yeah I've gotten lazy about washing at night and have been washing more often in the afternoon before going somewhere. It's getting cold enough now that I need to make sure I'm washing at night.

I generally use a little more conditioner in the winter. I only just realized I need less in the summer and now it's getting colder and drier again.

I've been wearing a lot of braided buns but they're not going to look good frizzed up by a hat. I don't have one that's satin inside.:/

LadyCelestina
October 19th, 2019, 12:31 AM
I just use a richer, thicker conditioner, even as a leave-in, and wear my hair either braided, or tucked underneath a hat. Then trim a little bit in spring.

Tinyponies
October 19th, 2019, 12:46 AM
Yeah I've gotten lazy about washing at night and have been washing more often in the afternoon before going somewhere. It's getting cold enough now that I need to make sure I'm washing at night.

I generally use a little more conditioner in the winter. I only just realized I need less in the summer and now it's getting colder and drier again.

I've been wearing a lot of braided buns but they're not going to look good frizzed up by a hat. I don't have one that's satin inside.:/

I made a kind of snug fitting hat out of a cotton T-shirt that I can wear under my hat. It’s soft and holds everything together. It’s warm too. Maybe this kind of thing would work for you too?

GeoJ
October 19th, 2019, 05:23 AM
The winter doesn’t bother my hair too much, I just need a bit of extra oil and I wear a hat (especially if it’s not fully dry, to avoid water in the hair freezing). The texture of my hair changes in winter. It becomes thinner feeling, smoother, and less wurly & wavy. I also am prone to dandruff in winter.

AmaryllisRed
October 19th, 2019, 08:13 AM
I made a kind of snug fitting hat out of a cotton T-shirt that I can wear under my hat. It’s soft and holds everything together. It’s warm too. Maybe this kind of thing would work for you too?

Ooh, tell me more!

Tinyponies
October 19th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Ooh, tell me more!
Ok here goes - I cut open a T-shirt and took the bottom hem as the part of the hat that goes around my hairline.
I stretched that around my head to measure how wide I’d want the hat to be (T-shirt material gives quite a bit with this kind of use so I started rather snug). Then sewed that into a straight tube like a buff, slightly longer than I’d need, folding in the edges and sewed the seams (can elaborate if you’re interested).
Then I took the tube and put it on my head over my bun to identify how long the longest part would need to be, and trimmed and then sewed a curve across the top to make it like a super simple beanie. I like mine a bit long so I’ve got a bit to fold up or pull down onto the top of my forehead.
I left the seam at the side but on the next one I’m gonna put the seam at the back.
Tada! Hat liner.
Happy to write out a tutorial with photos if anyone’s interested :)

Nox_Inber
October 19th, 2019, 12:56 PM
I’ll switch to night washes instead of morning washes when it gets really cold. I don’t enjoy my hair drying going past about the 2 hour mark. Aside from that, not much changes. Like Nox_Inber, winters aren’t bad here.

Gotta love that about California winters! :D I remember washing my hair during winter when I lived in northern Tennessee and I swear my hair wouldn't dry for at least a day. One time I made the mistake of walking outside in the snow with damp hair - yeah that froze very quickly lol. I looked ridiculous :lala:

Ylva
October 19th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Good point about the wash times. In the winter, I also need to make sure that my hair is dry by the morning, so I usually end up washing it earlier in the evening rather than almost just before bed.

Hasse
October 19th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Maybe a bit offtopic, but if you let your hair dry overnight, how do you wear it to bed? I always go to bed only when my hair is dry, because sleeping with wet or damp hair sounds uncomfortable.

AmaryllisRed
October 19th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Ok here goes - I cut open a T-shirt and took the bottom hem as the part of the hat that goes around my hairline.
I stretched that around my head to measure how wide I’d want the hat to be (T-shirt material gives quite a bit with this kind of use so I started rather snug). Then sewed that into a straight tube like a buff, slightly longer than I’d need, folding in the edges and sewed the seams (can elaborate if you’re interested).
Then I took the tube and put it on my head over my bun to identify how long the longest part would need to be, and trimmed and then sewed a curve across the top to make it like a super simple beanie. I like mine a bit long so I’ve got a bit to fold up or pull down onto the top of my forehead.
I left the seam at the side but on the next one I’m gonna put the seam at the back.
Tada! Hat liner.
Happy to write out a tutorial with photos if anyone’s interested :)

Thank you! I think I get what you mean. I'm not the best at sewing but I might give it a try.

Ylva
October 19th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Maybe a bit offtopic, but if you let your hair dry overnight, how do you wear it to bed? I always go to bed only when my hair is dry, because sleeping with wet or damp hair sounds uncomfortable.

I lay it beyond my head over the bed (well, "bed", since I sleep on a mattress on the floor), or just behind my head somehow depending on what position I'm sleeping in. I do that regardless of whether it's wet or dry. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember.

AmaryllisRed
October 19th, 2019, 03:52 PM

I drape it over the pillow and mattress next to me. Takes a little extra maneuvering when I turn to the other side.

Tinyponies
October 19th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Thank you! I think I get what you mean. I'm not the best at sewing but I might give it a try.
You’re welcome :)

Reservechic
October 20th, 2019, 09:14 AM
I don't have plans to change up my haircare regimen a whole lot this Winter. The regimen I have right now can honestly work well for me all year round. However, once it gets cold around ever I live, I think I'm going go shampoo my hair less, and do more. O-washing instead. I don't plan to incorporate any styling creams, butters into my regimen after the cold weather hits, only because I've finally come to realize that they're just to heavy for my hair, they aren't very kind to my acne prone skin, and quite a number of them take a while to fully absorb into my hair. Plus, my hair takes longer to fully air dry with a cream or butter in it, than it dies with just gel. Also, my hair needs more hold than what they can provide. So, I plan to just stick with the styler that I currently use, Ecoslay Orange Marmalade Flax Seed And Aloe Curl Definer, and continue to rock with it through the rest of this year and beyond.

I plan to continue to deep condition using heat and continue using only sulfate free cleansers on my hair only. For my hair, I've learned that minimalism is definiyeky best. Now, I may start back to wearing my SLAP CAP in the Winter. Because right now, it is too warm for me to wear, as it makes my head feel hot and become sweaty Outside of that, my regimen for the Fall and Winter months, will continue to be almost the sane as it is now. Very easy breezy!

Begemot
October 20th, 2019, 09:32 AM
My routine should stay pretty much the same but I'll try to find new ways to keep my hair protected. I think I need a silk beanie this winter. I wear beanies and hats all year around but I'm going to try wear all of my hair under said beanies and hats more often. I'll probably use more leave-ins and do hot oil treatments here and there. I suspect I might have to blow-dry my roots more often than during summer. I also need to keep close eye on my scalp.

MusicalSpoons
October 20th, 2019, 11:21 AM

Draped up over my pillow and off the end of my bed. If I didn't have space at the top end of my bed it would be off to the side.

That is an excellent point about washing early enough to make sure it dries overnight. I don't leave the house very often and I sleep for a long time, but if I have a morning appointment the day after washing I will have to try to remember to take longer drying time into account. Last washday I actually woke up in the afternoon with it still slightly damp :bigeyes: and that's with the heating on and it's nowhere near freezing yet!

ExpectoPatronum
October 20th, 2019, 11:31 AM
I'm going to make it a point to deep condition my hair often, if not every wash. My hair is dry and loves being deep conditioned regularly. I'm also going to try oiling it overnight every other wash day. I've already started wearing it up but I'm going to continue that habit throughout the winter.

Zesty
October 20th, 2019, 12:17 PM
My routine has been winter-proof in the past so I'm not planning on changing wash routine or anything. I'll need to wear my buns higher to avoid scarves and higher collars, and I want to get old-fashioned over-the-head ear muffs so that my ears can be warm without having to wear a hat or maneuver something under my bun.

longhairdreamee
October 22nd, 2019, 07:12 AM
Honestly, nothing special! But the parts of my routine that I think help most keeping hair moisturised are:

- wearing it in buns, always, with only very rare exceptions
- double-conditioning; for me that's CWC but I put the first C on for *at least* an hour before I get in the shower
- rinse-out oil on the lengths between shampoo and conditioner
- oiling overnight before washing
- scalp washes for when my lengths don't need a wash but my scalp does
- sleeping on a satin pillowcase, wearing a satin bonnet with my hair bunned underneath :grin:

I haven't found a hat that definitively doesn't dry my hair out at all but I do have a soft, stretchy hat which will fit over my bun. Braids dry my hair out like nobody's business, unless my hair is very heavily oiled. On the rare occasion I wear a braid I will run a light coating of oil over it and a bit more on the tassel, then pamper my hair within the next day or two to make up for it.

Edit: this is the very first year we have central heating so I will be alert in case I need to tweak anything in my routine, if the air is drier for instance.

For the CWC, do you wet your hair for the first condition?

longhairdreamee
October 22nd, 2019, 07:21 AM
Also, any specific rich conditioners? It's only just gotten cold here in Iowa, and my hairs already a lot dryer. I am using the Garnier Nourishing Hair Mask every wash, and using a teeny bit of sweet almond oil between washes, but I find that even that is sometimes too heavy.

MusicalSpoons
October 22nd, 2019, 08:30 AM
For the CWC, do you wet your hair for the first condition?

Yep :)

characters