PDA

View Full Version : I'd love some ideas for layer friendly updos.

jane_marie
October 16th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Just before I decided to start growing my hair out I had some pretty intense layering and thinning done. My overall length was maintained but I had about 1/3 of my volume cut out through layers and thinning shears.

Basically, I ended up with something like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/84/f8/46/84f84674478336cada7f521d84298b98.jpg

Well, I liked it but soon after decided that I'd like to grow my hair out.

Now, every time I try to bun or braid I have massive fraying that makes it look sloppy. The only exceptions are a sort of diagonal french twist, a sock bun using a doughnut form, and occasionally a french braid.

It's going to be a long long time until my layers are grown out. In the meantime I'd like to still wear my hair up in attractive protective styles.

Does anyone know of any "layer friendly" updos?

Thanks.

Edit - If it helps, right now my length is around mid back (2-3 inches above waist) and my shortest layers are hovering just below chin length.

lapushka
October 16th, 2019, 02:59 PM
I have layering starting at around hip going all the way down to classic (compact cut / layered home cut). I just do a LWB (lazy wrap bun) or a Nautilus. Nautilus is preferred ATM. Both buns are amazing to do on layered hair, IMO. But the chin length layers might have to be left out.

jane_marie
October 16th, 2019, 03:16 PM
I have layering starting at around hip going all the way down to classic (compact cut / layered home cut). I just do a LWB (lazy wrap bun) or a Nautilus. Nautilus is preferred ATM. Both buns are amazing to do on layered hair, IMO. But the chin length layers might have to be left out.

I can't seem to get a nautilus or an LWB to work. I'm not sure why...It just falls out. It might be that my hair is too short still, has too much slip or maybe both.

Here's my last length check.
https://i.imgur.com/tBrXbeA.jpg?2

Do you think it's just too short still?

I'm so frustrated.

lapushka
October 16th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Oh now I see you're iii! OMG, no it's too short! I could start wearing a LWB at around waist/hip, more hip length (comfortably).

Lady Stardust
October 16th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Could you do it in sections? So make a LWB half up, and then wrap the rest of the hair around the base?

jane_marie
October 16th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Oh now I see you're iii! OMG, no it's too short! I could start wearing a LWB at around waist/hip, more hip length (comfortably).

Yeah, I just double checked and my ponytail circumference is at 5. Which makes me wonder how it's going to be when the intense thinning grows out. Seriously... I have hairs that are 4 inches due to the thinning shears. :rolleyes:

So... no LWB? That sucks. I'm getting tired of this french twist and pulling all my hair into a doughnut on top of my head gives me a headache.

Could you do it in sections? So make a LWB half up, and then wrap the rest of the hair around the base?

Maybe... I haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip. :)

Milady_DeWinter
October 16th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I suggest a disc bun. Have a great hold and is awesome for shorter lenghts!

Groovy Granny
October 16th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I just double checked and my ponytail circumference is at 5. Which makes me wonder how it's going to be when the intense thinning grows out. Seriously... I have hairs that are 4 inches due to the thinning shears. :rolleyes:

So... no LWB? That sucks. I'm getting tired of this french twist and pulling all my hair into a doughnut on top of my head gives me a headache.

Maybe... I haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip. :)

WOW...a 5" circ....and you still need your layers to grow out....mine is 2.5" fine and wispy :thud: lol

I had to be WL before I could do a LWB.... and Hip + for a Nautilus ...with a short/shrinking torso.

Patience my dear ;)

With that thickness, you will need much longer lengths I think....but in the end....WOWSER....enviable locks :shocked:

jane_marie
October 16th, 2019, 04:08 PM
I suggest a disc bun. Have a great hold and is awesome for shorter lenghts!

I wish. Anything with loops shreds terribly. :(

Edit- Just tried it. Those two loops end up looking like giant spikes. lol

Lady Stardust
October 16th, 2019, 04:16 PM
If you can do a French braid, then double French braids (one each side) would probably be even more likely to contain the layers.

Think positive, and have a look at the hairstyle of the month threads. Give everything a whirl and see what works :)

jane_marie
October 16th, 2019, 04:18 PM
WOW...a 5" circ....and you still need your layers to grow out....mine is 2.5" fine and wispy :thud: lol

I had to be WL before I could do a LWB.... and Hip + for a Nautilus ...with a short/shrinking torso.

Patience my dear ;)

With that thickness, you will need much longer lengths I think....but in the end....WOWSER....enviable locks :shocked:

Thanks GG.

Honestly though I'm not sure if I'll ever manage growing the layers out. I always end up getting them cut in in the summer because It's hot.

We'll see. I guess I might have to keep doing my little twist while I wait... a couple years or more.

I love your hair by the way. It's absolutely ethereal. :)

lapushka
October 16th, 2019, 04:20 PM
What about a simple peacock twist? Easy, elegant, and it tided me over from APL to hip (when I couldn't yet do a bun). I'm 4.25 in circumference so you are going to be even waiting longer to do a bun!

Groovy Granny
October 16th, 2019, 05:16 PM
oops...forum glitch

jane_marie
October 16th, 2019, 05:17 PM
What about a simple peacock twist? Easy, elegant, and it tided me over from APL to hip (when I couldn't yet do a bun). I'm 4.25 in circumference so you are going to be even waiting longer to do a bun!

Yeah, that would certainly be an option. I try to avoid it because it was my go to hair style ages 12-22 but maybe I can mess with and figure out a way to make it look a bit more grown up.

Thank for your help. :)

Groovy Granny
October 16th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Thanks GG.

Honestly though I'm not sure if I'll ever manage growing the layers out. I always end up getting them cut in in the summer because It's hot.

We'll see. I guess I might have to keep doing my little twist while I wait... a couple years or more.

I love your hair by the way. It's absolutely ethereal. :)

Thank you :flowers:

Well hide the scissors and do your twists when the weather warms up ;)

And while waiting you can do cinnamon buns with claw clips ...and whatever fluffs out...act like it's intentional :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBcPGkpUW8Y&list=PLDA03AB32F365334D&index=2

It is great for any length/type...just vary the size/style of the claws to bling it up...or not.

You'll get there....enjoy the journey :cheer:

AmaryllisRed
October 16th, 2019, 06:48 PM
I love that haircut. I had something similar years ago. But I wore mine down or ponytails all the time.

What about something with those barrettes that are so popular right now?

jane_marie
October 16th, 2019, 07:38 PM
I love that haircut. I had something similar years ago. But I wore mine down or ponytails all the time.

What about something with those barrettes that are so popular right now?

What barrettes? I'm pretty out of the loop. haha

AmaryllisRed
October 16th, 2019, 09:49 PM
These! (https://youtu.be/wx5tVhNsd4Q)

She doesn't do much in the way of updos in the video but you can get a good look at the barrettes I'm talking about.
I think they're really cute and you could probably use them to secure some of the shorter pieces that won't stay in an updo.

Milady_DeWinter
October 16th, 2019, 11:19 PM
I wish. Anything with loops shreds terribly. :(

Edit- Just tried it. Those two loops end up looking like giant spikes. lol

Lol you made me giggle :rollin: Then I can only suggest you braided styles... I also got very thick hair (5 1/2" circ) and bunning was a pain still after passing waist, even layered. But my layers weren't as short... I think french or dutch braids might help you

desisparkles
October 16th, 2019, 11:47 PM
These! (https://youtu.be/wx5tVhNsd4Q)

She doesn't do much in the way of updos in the video but you can get a good look at the barrettes I'm talking about.
I think they're really cute and you could probably use them to secure some of the shorter pieces that won't stay in an updo.

oooh how adorable! I didn't know clips were a thang!!!

unheardletters
October 17th, 2019, 04:58 AM
Yeah, that would certainly be an option. I try to avoid it because it was my go to hair style ages 12-22 but maybe I can mess with and figure out a way to make it look a bit more grown up.

Thank for your help. :)

What do you use to hold the peacock twist? I’ve tried so many claw clips that claim they are for thick hair but I can’t find anything that is actually big enough.

lapushka
October 17th, 2019, 05:14 AM
What do you use to hold the peacock twist? I’ve tried so many claw clips that claim they are for thick hair but I can’t find anything that is actually big enough.

I had a big one, and it worked for me. I spent 1 euro on it in a discount shop, and the type of claw is nowhere to be found on Google, but it is a big claw clip.

If a claw doesn't work, try a flexi8 or Ficcare. They come in big enough sizings. A regular barrette never worked for me, as I could not fit all of my hair into that.

jane_marie
October 17th, 2019, 07:05 AM

I always just used whatever. Then again I have always had heavily cut in layers that were attacked with thinning shears as it was a way for me to cope with heat and humidity. Those layers result in my hair being relatively thin on the lengths and as an unintended consequence made/make claw clips and oversize barrettes more manageable.

spidermom
October 17th, 2019, 07:09 AM
You could do more than one bun. When my hair was collarbone length and layered, I'd do 3 buns lined up down the center back of my head.

Rowdy
October 17th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Maybe I missed it, but did you say where on your head you are wearing your buns? Top of head? Low by the neck?

eta: My sister has thick layered hair (about 4.5 - 5 right now with an big undercut) that she likes to keep short. Freshly cut usually has chin layers down to APL. My go to for containing that when she asks is 2 upside down dutch braids ending in ponytail base buns, usually baby cinna-twist things that i pin down with bobby pins to the hair tie. This ends up much neater as the bottom layer of hair is much longer that the canopy layer so it covers up the others.

jane_marie
October 17th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Maybe I missed it, but did you say where on your head you are wearing your buns? Top of head? Low by the neck?

eta: My sister has thick layered hair (about 4.5 - 5 right now with an big undercut) that she likes to keep short. Freshly cut usually has chin layers down to APL. My go to for containing that when she asks is 2 upside down dutch braids ending in ponytail base buns, usually baby cinna-twist things that i pin down with bobby pins to the hair tie. This ends up much neater as the bottom layer of hair is much longer that the canopy layer so it covers up the others.

It seems like no matter where the bun is placed I have the same issue. That said, you make a good point about hiding the layers within the length. I think that's why the twists, french braids and sock bun work so well.

I'll definitely look into things that take advantage of the length at the bottom.

On the plus side, I think that my thickness might be helpful because I have enough hair to hold those layers down.

2gaits
October 17th, 2019, 08:02 PM
It is so strange that I was going to post almost the exact same question on the forum! My hair is bsl now with some layers and I'm struggling to do anything but wear it down. Peacock twist doesn't look right as there is almost too much length. Buns hurt and pieces fall out or stick out strange. Tired of braids and I'm struggling to look professional and my age with braids. I feel your pain. I think I'm going to start a thread for people to post their bsl styles if there isn't already one.

jane_marie
October 17th, 2019, 08:12 PM
It is so strange that I was going to post almost the exact same question on the forum! My hair is bsl now with some layers and I'm struggling to do anything but wear it down. Peacock twist doesn't look right as there is almost too much length. Buns hurt and pieces fall out or stick out strange. Tired of braids and I'm struggling to look professional and my age with braids. I feel your pain. I think I'm going to start a thread for people to post their bsl styles if there isn't already one.

If you like, I can post how I do my diagonal twist. It's pretty easy and looks very polished. I started doing it at bsl. It's the best solution I have found to deal with my layers in a way that it pretty and put together.

Here is an example:
https://i.imgur.com/sNZLGz8.png
At the time I wasn't using a hair stick. This was, clearly with a chopstick but it works well with forks and thinner sticks as well.

The Lizard Wife
October 17th, 2019, 09:41 PM
For a variation on the peacock twist idea, maybe a folded braid? It has just recently occurred to me that this is roughly the same idea as the peacock twist that people swear by but which fails me every single time...except it's braided. I do an English braid because I don't have my scalp trained properly for an all-day French braid (but that would help contain layers), and I attempt to tuck the tail under to hide it or let it stick out the bottom. I think it looks very polished when held with a flexi-8 or a hair slide (or presumably a ficcare? I've never used one).

Kalamazoo
October 17th, 2019, 10:11 PM
Princess Leia wore a bun over each ear. :luke:

Or maybe Milkmaid Braids?

Wildcat Diva
October 20th, 2019, 08:57 AM
I think the sectioning advice about a half up bun and then two other buns clustering next to the the first half up bun is great advice by other posters here. That just might be a way to do it. You can nautilus the smaller, longer sections.

FWIW I could LWB ALL my hair at APL at 3 inch circ. Sectioning should work.