PDA

View Full Version : Supplementing with oils?

MagusBride
October 14th, 2019, 02:02 PM
My hair problems are dryness, frizziness, and brittleness. My scalp doesn't naturally produce much oil at all. I apply external oils to my hair on a daily basis, such as olive oil, otherwise I get "scarecrow hair".

However, I am considering taking oil as an internal supplement in the hopes of boosting my body's natural production of its own oil for the scalp. I have combination-leaning-dry skin on my face, too, so I wouldn't mind producing more natural oils in general, which I hope taking oils internally will help me do.

For example, a teaspoon of camellia or coconut oil per day, or taking fish oil from a dropper bottle (I know there are companies out there who sell oil supplements in capsule form, especially fish oil and coconut oil, but I've read that liquid delivery is more effective than capsules in general - and I don't mind the taste).

Has anyone else here supplemented with pure oils? What oil did you use and what results did you get (particularly if you had dry hair beforehand)?

I don't know which oil I want to use yet. I'm considering camellia oil, coconut oil, evening primrose oil (liquid dropper bottle), or fish oil but am open to other suggestions as well. Hopefully this discussion is helpful to others also :)

Ylva
October 14th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Instead of supplementing, I would just recommend eating real fatty animal foods like salmon or red meat.

You'll get the same stuff in a lot more bioavailable form.

renaatijs
October 15th, 2019, 05:55 AM
I recently started adding table spoon of coconut oil to my smoothie, I am noticing softer skin , can't tell benefits for hair yet...

Nox_Inber
October 15th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Supplements and dietary changes take a while to see noticeable changes if it's regarding hair or skin. A balanced diet is definitely important but don't worry if you aren't seeing immediate results. Also, oil technically doesn't impart moisture. It helps to lock in moisture but it's not a source of it. I think a deep condition would be a good start if you're wanting faster results :) Also, what kind of shampoo are you using? It might be too stripping for your scalp and hair needs.