PDA

View Full Version : Is 'training' your hair a real thing?

That Purple Guy
October 10th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Hey ya’ll~

It’s almost been a month since I shaved my head and face, and just been letting everything do its thing. Apparently my beard grows faster than my head hair, hah~

When the barber shaved me bald, he mentioned something about training hair so it continues to grow in a certain direction I want it to. Like using hair gel and stuff.

Three questions:

1.) Is there a time limit between bald and ‘one inch of hair’ before it ‘sets’ in its trained path, or can I make it do whatever I want at any length in the future?

2.) Let’s say I want some kind of badass Viking dude hairstyle some years down the road. The kind that have the hair above the forehead pulled back. Should I constantly make sure my hair is going that way to make it ‘stay’ that way when it’s ready?

3.) I’m enjoying wearing my hat at work during these short length stages I’m in (and take it off the moment I get home). Is doing this gonna interfere with any hair training?

Thanks like always,
~That Purple Guy

ExpectoPatronum
October 10th, 2019, 07:50 PM
I think hair "training" can happen at any stage. Speaking of my own experiences, I went from having a defined part to having no part. It took some time for my hair to lay how I wanted it to, but eventually it got there.

Linden
October 10th, 2019, 08:29 PM
I have been able to train my hair various directions (side part, middle part, bangs, no bangs) without ever cutting it short. I don't think your hair follicle would be less trainable because it has more hair sticking out of it.

So no, I don't think it's necessary to train your hair any particular direction for now. It will take a bit of time to train it a different way, but it's totally doable.

lapushka
October 11th, 2019, 03:54 AM
To train hair IMO, you need some length to it, before that it will be springy and will do whatever it wants to do. With length you can slick it down however you want in any direction you want.

cjk
October 11th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Getting an early start is a great idea! Definitely start brushing it in the direction you want, consistently.

It's not a styling thing at Buzz cut length, it's a growth pattern thing.

And yes it does work.

You can train at any length. But there's no down side to starting it now.

Arciela
October 11th, 2019, 12:51 PM
From my experience I was able to train my hair much easier when it was longer. I tried to train my hair to have a side part but it just won't do it. Always defaults back to the middle.

Nox_Inber
October 11th, 2019, 05:03 PM
I think hair is easier to train when it's longer, very short hair is too stiff and wants to do its own thing. I used to have a lot more hair pulled to the side for my bangs than I do now, it took a few months to train it back to its original part but it was accomplished. I believe training hair is a real thing. It can be stubborn at first but we can hope that it will eventually comply :whip: :laugh:

Elizabeth E
October 13th, 2019, 09:52 AM
I've wondered about this. My part always makes weird zigzags towards the back of my head, and I want all the hair to lie flat without a part instead of falling to the sides. I'll tame it with brushes and clips for the next few months and see if it helps.

On a side note, I love the hairstyle you're going for. I'm sure it's going to look awesome once your hair gets long :)

BeepBooop
October 19th, 2019, 08:32 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question... but how do you train your hair to part in a specific way? I always thought that hair parting could never be changed and you were stuck with whatever you got.

BeepBooop
October 19th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Also, how long does it take to train?

ExpectoPatronum
October 19th, 2019, 09:04 PM
I find it easiest to train your hair while it is still wet. Simply part it the way you wish to have your part and comb it through. It can take anywhere from a few days to a month or two for your hair to be trained. It took mine a while to be able to flip it from side to side without it falling into a defined part.

BeepBooop
October 20th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Oh that gives me such hope. Ever since I can remember, my hair has always parted down the middle (not a flattering look on me). I much prefer a side part but have struggled with my hair wanting to do its own thing.