PDA

View Full Version : How is a natural bristle brush supposed to leave my hair feeling like?

StellaStellitsa
October 10th, 2019, 01:01 PM
So, I bought a brush which is a mix of natural bristles and synthetic ones. How is it supposed to leave my hair feeling like? How do I understand if (mainly) the synthetic bristles in it are actually do more harm than good and damage my hair? My brush is a cheap one, it was the only one in the shop and cost me 6,80 euro. What should I expect from it if at all?

Dung Beetle
October 10th, 2019, 01:22 PM
interesting question. I have a (cheap, supposedly natural) boar bristle brush, and I hated it at first because it doesn't penetrate my hair very far and makes it sort of flatten and clump together. Now I've gotten used to it (flat, stuck together hair can be good if you're trying to put it up in a bun). I only use it about twice a day.

desisparkles
October 10th, 2019, 02:35 PM
oops forgot to answer your main ? - my hair feels smooth, silky (or silkier than the norm) and looks shiny after I use mine.

hmmm... I only have a soft pure boar bristle at the moment. Since i have wavy hair I don't brush unless it's wet UNLESS it's with my pure boar bristle when my waves/curls have mostly loosened into ocean waves.

I didn't want a mixed brush because I have a denman and couldn't imagine brushing that through dry hair but I have read that many prefer it mixed as that's the only way it would get through their thick hair. My hair is fine - I have a lot of it but if I flatten my hand on the underside of my hair, while brushing on top, the bristles go through currently.

I suppose you can monitor your hair very closely to see if there's any damage - or even experiment with just one chunk of your hair - like lets say you designate a section of hair and only use your brush on that section for a time of your choosing and see if you notice breakage or damage in comparison to the other parts of your hair?

I did splurge and order an extra firm pure boar bristle brush which is on the way - hoping that I can spread sebum that way since the one I have now doesn't get to my scalp. I'm ok with it not doing that and am tender headed so appreciate just how soft this one is but I want to see if my hair will benefit from the scalp massaging and "true" spreading of oils with the firmer one.

Groovy Granny
October 10th, 2019, 05:15 PM
I have a Vented Wet Brush with BBB and synthetic, which help the BBB's penetrate my hair shafts...and I love it; plus the brush gently massages your scalp :heart:

In the past a firmer full BBB worked pretty well, but then my hair texture changed and it didn't work as well.

I tend to use the brush in colder temps; when it is warmer my hair curls and brushing = frizz ;)
Though I will use it in spots to tame/blend new crown growth etc

StellaStellitsa
October 11th, 2019, 02:08 AM
interesting question. I have a (cheap, supposedly natural) boar bristle brush, and I hated it at first because it doesn't penetrate my hair very far and makes it sort of flatten and clump together. Now I've gotten used to it (flat, stuck together hair can be good if you're trying to put it up in a bun). I only use it about twice a day.

oops forgot to answer your main ? - my hair feels smooth, silky (or silkier than the norm) and looks shiny after I use mine.

hmmm... I only have a soft pure boar bristle at the moment. Since i have wavy hair I don't brush unless it's wet UNLESS it's with my pure boar bristle when my waves/curls have mostly loosened into ocean waves.

I didn't want a mixed brush because I have a denman and couldn't imagine brushing that through dry hair but I have read that many prefer it mixed as that's the only way it would get through their thick hair. My hair is fine - I have a lot of it but if I flatten my hand on the underside of my hair, while brushing on top, the bristles go through currently.

I suppose you can monitor your hair very closely to see if there's any damage - or even experiment with just one chunk of your hair - like lets say you designate a section of hair and only use your brush on that section for a time of your choosing and see if you notice breakage or damage in comparison to the other parts of your hair?

I did splurge and order an extra firm pure boar bristle brush which is on the way - hoping that I can spread sebum that way since the one I have now doesn't get to my scalp. I'm ok with it not doing that and am tender headed so appreciate just how soft this one is but I want to see if my hair will benefit from the scalp massaging and "true" spreading of oils with the firmer one.

I have a Vented Wet Brush with BBB and synthetic, which help the BBB's penetrate my hair shafts...and I love it; plus the brush gently massages your scalp :heart:

In the past a firmer full BBB worked pretty well, but then my hair texture changed and it didn't work as well.

I tend to use the brush in colder temps; when it is warmer my hair curls and brushing = frizz ;)
Though I will use it in spots to tame/blend new crown growth etc

Thank you for your answers and the information you provided.

StellaStellitsa
October 13th, 2019, 03:50 AM
So far I think my ends feel rough and I think there are now split ends that I'd swear they were not there before. Should I keep using it and see what happens?

spidermom
October 13th, 2019, 06:23 AM
So far I think my ends feel rough and I think there are now split ends that I'd swear they were not there before. Should I keep using it and see what happens?

No. In my opinion, you're already seeing what's happening.

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2019, 10:00 AM

Oh geez....it appears that type brush is not for you; even with my fine/wispy hair I have no splits.

Good luck going forward :cheer:

StellaStellitsa
October 13th, 2019, 12:49 PM
No. In my opinion, you're already seeing what's happening.

Oh geez....it appears that type brush is not for you; even with my fine/wispy hair I have no splits.

Good luck going forward :cheer:

Thank you for your answers. At one hand I want to stop using it and stop the damage here, but I feel bad for buying it and using it only for a few days. Maybe I could give it to my mother, grandmother, or brother since their hair is short? What else could I do with a new hair brush?

desisparkles
October 13th, 2019, 03:16 PM
if family doesn't want/need it, some people use them on their pets.

StellaStellitsa
October 14th, 2019, 01:48 AM
if family doesn't want/need it, some people use them on their pets.

Oh, we have one dog. But, she lives outside of our home and we don't brush her. Maybe I could try using it at her if she lets me.

StellaStellitsa
October 14th, 2019, 01:52 AM
The damage done by the brush could be done because the synthetic bristles are longer and the natural ones shorter? And the damage could be done by the synthetic ones instead of the natural ones? Can I hope of using a completely natural brush on my hair in the future?