PDA

View Full Version : Is it shedding season?

KlutzyChy1
October 9th, 2019, 03:49 PM
I've noticed for the past couple of months I've been losing more hair. I wash my hair every other day & on some wash days it has gone up to 200-300 hairs. Every wash day is over 100. I also have SD and it has been flaring up especially bad this summer & I think that's playing a part in it too. Do those of you with SD lose more hair in the summer? On non wash days I lose about 20-30 hairs. Do you think this kind of shedding will cause thinning? I know I've posted about this before, so I apologize. It's been a very stressful summer (BFS parents split up, his dad has been harassing us, we had to move out of our apartment just last week & on the very next day I had a colonoscopy), so just a little stressed out & looking for some reassurance. Thank you again ❤️

lapushka
October 9th, 2019, 04:25 PM
If I have an SD flare-up, I lose more hair. The key is to get this under control asap!!!

And it's the season as well, fall, or even spring, people tend to shed more.

I would not worry too too much. Just try and get the SD under control first.

CuteCrow
October 9th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Well, I'm with you here. I've been shedding almost 300 hairs on wash day and thinking it may be a seasonal shed. But I think in your case it's more probable your SD and stress what's causing the shed. As lapushka said, I'd try to get the SD under control first and then see if the shed continues.

SpottedBackson
October 9th, 2019, 05:15 PM
I don't have much experience with shedding but I can offer you this anecdote. I once tried Rahua shampoo and conditioner samples and found that I had much MUCH less hair falling out in the shower. I went from a clump of hair in the drain every wash to literally only one or two hairs. I know Rahua is crazy expensive, too expensive for me anyway, but there might be something you can change up in your hair routine that will help.

I have had more hair falling out when I'm stressed but so long as you eat well and look after yourself the hair still on your head shouldn't suffer!

MoonRabbit
October 10th, 2019, 08:46 AM
Ive been shedding more. But I always shed the most in summer.

ElanorWavy
October 10th, 2019, 11:23 AM
I don't notice much of a difference in any season. But a while ago I started shredding a lot when washing. It was like a hand sized hairbal every time! But I discovered it was just a small thing I did that caused it. I had been flipping my hair upside down in the shower and massaged the shampoo with my fingertips on my scalp.
The moment I stopped doing this the shredding stopped too.

MusicalSpoons
October 10th, 2019, 03:57 PM
I don't notice much of a difference in any season. But a while ago I started shredding a lot when washing. It was like a hand sized hairbal every time! But I discovered it was just a small thing I did that caused it. I had been flipping my hair upside down in the shower and massaged the shampoo with my fingertips on my scalp.
The moment I stopped doing this the shredding stopped too.

Do you still massage with your fingertips on the scalp, but the right way up? For me the manipulation [whichever way up] does cause extra shedding but it's worth it to have a clean scalp. Manipulation with dry fingertips and just my own sebum does the same thing. I do let my hair get very oily because I don't often go out, but when I wash it I want to do a proper job and make it worthwhile! ;)

Re: the OP, I don't know. It could well be seasonal, but health issues and/or stress could also be contributing. Really honestly, even if it *were* enough to cause thinning I don't know that you'd be able to do much about it other than get any issues under control, which I'm sure you're doing your best with anyway. So please try not to worry; there's probably nothing more you could/should be doing to help it, so if at all possible don't add any extra stress worrying about the shedding. It will right itself, either when the season changes again or once contributing issues are resolved.

tl;dr - I'm sure you're doing your best already so don't stress about trying to do anything extra for now :flowers:

Ylva
October 10th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Surely the hair that falls out as a result of manipulation comes from follicles that have already gone into the telogen phase. Those hairs were just waiting to fall off and finally did so due to the extra manipulation, but either way, they wouldn't have hung out there for very long. And that much less shedding could be expected for the following few days or something like that.

Arciela
October 11th, 2019, 03:43 PM
I feel like I am shedding just a little bit more. Seems like every time around this year I do then it eases up quickly :flower:

spidermom
October 12th, 2019, 07:13 AM
Yes. Every year right around the end of summer, beginning of fall, hairs start jumping off my head.