PDA

View Full Version : I did something stupid

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 08:36 AM
So yesterday I decided that maybe I should give my hair a nice DEEP clarifying. And not just any clarifying, like with my clear pantene shampoo, or my biolage hydrasource that also has sulfates. A REAL clarifying. Im not really sure why I associated my dryness with build up, when the reality is the dryness is from previous bleach damage. For some reason I thought that bottle of Prell would solve all my problems. Things were going ok as I was shampooing, felt slightly drier than normal but nothing too bad. I think where I went really wrong was using a non silicone conditioner afterwards. As my hair is drying I realized I made a huuuuge mistake. I wanted to rewash it with my biolage ultra hydrasource shampoo and a nice conditioner full of silicones but I decided to wait until today as washing it twice in 1 day was not in my best interest. I feel like the almost year (it will be a year in early November) of babying my hair and trying to “heal” it has been instantly washed down the drain. I almost just want to chop all my hair off and start again, and im almost measuring 29 inches. I used the whole blends honey treasures in the ball/jar looking thing today. I know my sinuses with regret it, but that was the most moisturizing conditioner I had in the house. Can someone please help me get my hair back on track? I threw that prell in the garbage as it also made my head itch real bad

Ylva
September 28th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Just get back to your usual hair care routine that you know works for your hair, after giving it a good deep treatment. I doubt all your pampering has gone to waste, it was just one wash and there's only so much effect that will "accumulate" on the hair. Relax, everything's gonna be just fine!

Jo Ann
September 28th, 2019, 08:54 AM
When you re-wash your hair, do a deep conditioning treatment--even if it is leaving your most moisturizing conditioner on for 10-15 minutes. After you rinse out that conditioner, use that same conditioner as a second conditioner and, if you have a leave-in, use that after you towel dry your hair.

Retrieve your Prell shampoo--it's also useful for things like washing dishes and cleaning your shower!

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Just get back to your usual hair care routine that you know works for your hair, after giving it a good deep treatment. I doubt all your pampering has gone to waste, it was just one wash and there's only so much effect that will "accumulate" on the hair. Relax, everything's gonna be just fine!

Thank you. It feels awful to have worked for so long and then feel like I lost it all in 1 day. I had a few strands that were holding on for dear life that did not survive the Prell. I suppose they would have broken eventually anyway. My hair does feel much better after rewashing with some moisturizing products today.

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 09:02 AM
When you re-wash your hair, do a deep conditioning treatment--even if it is leaving your most moisturizing conditioner on for 10-15 minutes. After you rinse out that conditioner, use that same conditioner as a second conditioner and, if you have a leave-in, use that after you towel dry your hair.

Retrieve your Prell shampoo--it's also useful for things like washing dishes and cleaning your shower!

I dont have any leave-ins but at this point in my journey, if im going to keep my hair, I think I should go get some. I think whole blends has a couple that ive been looking at every time I go into the store. Good idea with the Prell, im pretty sure that stuff could clean up a toxic spill.

Belle03
September 28th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Good morning, buy a heating cap with a timer. Use the cap while deep conditioning, so it penetrates the hair better. Sit with it on for an hour, then rinse. Good luck.

Begemot
September 28th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Definitely try a leave-in! Your hair might enjoy small hydrating/moisturizing between washes. I would braid my hair or put it up if I were you. Moisturize and maybe try oiling, anything that gives slip. I would wash my hair immediately afterwards if this happened to me. Wash and condition well. I doubt you did irreversible damage :)

Dark40
September 28th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I agree with all posts. For your next wash I would use a good deep moisturizing conditioner with some slip, and after drying I would moisturize it with some type of oil.

Nox_Inber
September 28th, 2019, 12:16 PM
I did the same thing about a month ago. I clarified my hair and it ended up all kinds of weird and uncooperative and dry. I thought I had doomed my hair for good lol! Once you get another deep condition in and do your normal routine for a few weeks I bet you'll see a lot of improvement :D Just don't cut it yet!

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Definitely try a leave-in! Your hair might enjoy small hydrating/moisturizing between washes. I would braid my hair or put it up if I were you. Moisturize and maybe try oiling, anything that gives slip. I would wash my hair immediately afterwards if this happened to me. Wash and condition well. I doubt you did irreversible damage :)

I wanted to wash my hair sooo bad after this happened yesterday but thought I was cause alot more damage. I pulled it back and tried not to pay any attention to it. When i took it down for bed, my god it felt like Brillo. The honey treasures conditioner in the little ball jar really helped my hair today. Im going to get the honey treasures leave in spray that they make. Can i also use this on dry hair?

spidermom
September 28th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Yep, a deep conditioning treatment or 2 (or 3) should put things right again. Years ago I tried adding baking soda to my shampoo and DISASTER. It took 2 weeks of daily conditioner soaks for my hair to fully recover, but it did recover.

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 01:38 PM
I did the same thing about a month ago. I clarified my hair and it ended up all kinds of weird and uncooperative and dry. I thought I had doomed my hair for good lol! Once you get another deep condition in and do your normal routine for a few weeks I bet you'll see a lot of improvement :D Just don't cut it yet!

No I definitely wont cut it yet. But I was sooooo close yesterday. Dealing with bleach damage is exhausting and to grow it out for close to a year and then feel like youve wrecked it all over a shampoo is a terrible feeling.
:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

lapushka
September 28th, 2019, 01:41 PM
One wash with Prell is not going to harm your hair one bit. Just do a nice pre-poo (oil or a deep conditioner pre shampoo) and a good moisturizing mask after. It should be *just fine*! Yes, granted, it will probably feel a bit dryer now, but that can be gone the next wash! No need to do a thing, or cut!

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 01:42 PM
I agree with all posts. For your next wash I would use a good deep moisturizing conditioner with some slip, and after drying I would moisturize it with some type of oil.

I used the whole blends honey treasures mask in the little ball/jar. It definitely softened it up, cause holy word my hair was crisp. The last time I was at Sally’s they had a jar of what was called hair mayonnaise. That looked to be veryyyy moisturizing so I think im actually going to go get that for my next wash.

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Yep, a deep conditioning treatment or 2 (or 3) should put things right again. Years ago I tried adding baking soda to my shampoo and DISASTER. It took 2 weeks of daily conditioner soaks for my hair to fully recover, but it did recover.

I know never to do this again. Im not really sure why I tried to switch up my routine. I know why my hair is dry and it certainly isnt from build-up. But yet I go and put some Prell shampoo on it. :laugh:At least after the first conditioning treatment it feels much better. Ill leave it alone for tomorrow and do another on Monday.

Groovy Granny
September 28th, 2019, 01:47 PM
To think we used PRELL and BRECK for 'squeaky clean hair'....and had no conditioners to follow up with back in the 60's....then blow fried it with those heavy duty driers back then :thud:

You can do a double condition with your next moisturizing wash and many times I use a dab of the same conditioner as a leave in.

Or even (CO) condition only for a couple of washes...you'll be ok; you just have damaged hair that needs more TLC than clarifying ;)

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 01:49 PM
One wash with Prell is not going to harm your hair one bit. Just do a nice pre-poo (oil or a deep conditioner pre shampoo) and a good moisturizing mask after. It should be *just fine*! Yes, granted, it will probably feel a bit dryer now, but that can be gone the next wash! No need to do a thing, or cut!

Thank you. I feel better today than I did yesterday. I lost a few that were barely hanging on, but im sure they would have eventually broken anyway. I wont cut but was sooooo close to cutting it ALL off yesterday, like pixie style and i know I would have hated myself for doing that (I dont like short hair on myself)

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 02:01 PM
To think we used PRELL and BRECK for 'squeaky clean hair'....and had no conditioners to follow up with back in the 60's....then blow fried it with those heavy duty driers back then :thud:

You can do a double condition with your next moisturizing wash and many times I use a dab of the same conditioner as a leave in.

Or even (CO) condition only for a couple of washes...you'll be ok; you just have damaged hair that needs more TLC than clarifying ;)

Lol. Prell was an everyday shampoo in the 60s?? It definitely tore my hair up. Interestingly one side of my hair is more damaged than the other from the previous “bleach accident”. For some reason its the left side, and thats the side I lost a few casualties yesterday. I have to learn the motto if its not broke dont fix it. I had a good routine going and for some reason came up with the bright idea to REALLY clarify. It was definitely squeaky crispy knotted clean lol. It even made my 6 inches of natural hair dry, so i think I’ll just stick with my clear pantenes and biolage hydrasource and some deep deep conditioners.

spidermom
September 28th, 2019, 02:23 PM
When I was in the Air Force in the early 1970s, Prell shampoo was the only soap/shampoo allowed in our barracks because it didn't scum up the tile in the shower area. Used sparingly with a lot of water, it wasn't bad.

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 02:26 PM
When I was in the Air Force in the early 1970s, Prell shampoo was the only soap/shampoo allowed in our barracks because it didn't scum up the tile in the shower area. Used sparingly with a lot of water, it wasn't bad.

So no conditioner after?

Groovy Granny
September 28th, 2019, 05:15 PM
Lol. Prell was an everyday shampoo in the 60s?? It definitely tore my hair up. Interestingly one side of my hair is more damaged than the other from the previous “bleach accident”. For some reason its the left side, and thats the side I lost a few casualties yesterday. I have to learn the motto if its not broke dont fix it. I had a good routine going and for some reason came up with the bright idea to REALLY clarify. It was definitely squeaky crispy knotted clean lol. It even made my 6 inches of natural hair dry, so i think I’ll just stick with my clear pantenes and biolage hydrasource and some deep deep conditioners.

Actually it first showed up on the market @ 1947, but got real popular in the late 60s and 70's as I recall.

I go by the same motto...it is a good one ;)

Good luck restoring it :cheer:

renia22
September 28th, 2019, 05:54 PM
We had some members here years ago who only used diluted Prell. Dilution is supposed to help a lot if you find something to be too harsh. Although I love Prell, I always have some in my stash, but I have fine hair and icky well water, so I like the ones that don’t add a bunch of conditioning agents to them, and don’t dilute. A good conditioner should get you back on track, though.

Dark40
September 28th, 2019, 07:29 PM
I used the whole blends honey treasures mask in the little ball/jar. It definitely softened it up, cause holy word my hair was crisp. The last time I was at Sally’s they had a jar of what was called hair mayonnaise. That looked to be veryyyy moisturizing so I think im actually going to go get that for my next wash.

I'm glad the whole blends honey treasures mask softened your hair up. I also bet it did leave your hair crispy too. Oh yeah, hair mayonnaise is excellent for the hair! I bet the hair mayonnaise did look veryyyy moisturizing. Yes, I would definitely go back to Sally's, and get that for your next wash.

Jo Ann
September 29th, 2019, 12:12 AM
So no conditioner after?
Hey, it was the '70's... :shrug:

I put my hair through a LOT when I'm actively fading a semi-permanent color. Prell is one of the shampoos I use; I also use a combination of baking soda, baby shampoo and anti-dandruff shampoo (leaving that combination on my hair for 30-60 minutes at a time). Conditioning is my friend, as those combinations can really dry out my hair.

I keep some deep conditioners, hair masks and really moisturizing conditioners on hand for those occasions--it takes almost no time to get my hair back on track again.

Begemot
September 29th, 2019, 03:10 AM
I wanted to wash my hair sooo bad after this happened yesterday but thought I was cause alot more damage. I pulled it back and tried not to pay any attention to it. When i took it down for bed, my god it felt like Brillo. The honey treasures conditioner in the little ball jar really helped my hair today. Im going to get the honey treasures leave in spray that they make. Can i also use this on dry hair?

Good to hear your hair is feeling better! You can use it on dry or damp hair, experiment to see which your hair prefers :)

Arciela
September 29th, 2019, 10:32 AM
I did something similar when I wanted to remove black hair dye..haha it worked but my hair was so dry!

I did a SMT and then cowshed for a good month. My hair recovered quite well!

spidermom
September 29th, 2019, 11:47 AM
We didn't have conditioner back in the dark ages, only cream rinse, and that wasn't allowed either. Only Prell in the shower area.

Deborah
September 29th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Some years back, on this list, lots of people washed with Prell to which they added a little oil. From what I remember they mostly had great results. It was based on what most of the old-time movie stars used to wash their hair, and produced extra shiny, beautiful hair.

lapushka
September 29th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Some years back, on this list, lots of people washed with Prell to which they added a little oil. From what I remember they mostly had great results. It was based on what most of the old-time movie stars used to wash their hair, and produced extra shiny, beautiful hair.

Wasn't that the oil washing thread? Or am I mistaking that with a whole entire thread on Prell? :hmm:

Jo Ann
September 30th, 2019, 01:01 AM
We didn't have conditioner back in the dark ages, only cream rinse, and that wasn't allowed either. Only Prell in the shower area.

I remember my grandmother using Tame creme rinse after washing my hair!

October 5th, 2019, 03:27 AM
I used the whole blends honey treasures in the ball/jar looking thing today. I know my sinuses with regret it, but that was the most moisturizing conditioner I had in the house.

Aha! So I'm not the only person that actually gets sick from products! There's that baby shampoo that makes my hair look perfect and be completely tangle free but I have crazy cattarh attack for days and I just had cattarh all over the floor one day (yeah, TMI), that's when I decided that product doesn't have future in my life.

Deborah
October 6th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Wasn't that the oil washing thread? Or am I mistaking that with a whole entire thread on Prell? :hmm:

Yes, I think it was called oil washing. People tried lots of different shampoos, but many seemed particularly attached to Prell as they liked the results especially well. By itself most found Prell too drying, but with the oil added they liked it a lot.