PDA

View Full Version : Chelating virgin

Skunklover
September 27th, 2019, 10:06 PM
Hi!! So I'm curious since this is my first time chelating. I live in a hard water area and I went out and bought a filtering shower head because our water softener has been broke for years apparently...I want to chelate my hair of years of hard water build up and who knows what else so that way my hair gets all the benefits possible from the new shower head. My question is after I chelate, do I need to close the cuticle and if so should I use an acv rinse? My bsl tassles feel like "Velcro" on the ends and I work hard to keep my hair happy so this is upsetting. I'm hoping this helps!

milosmomma
September 28th, 2019, 12:43 AM
I havent chelated, but I often use sulfates followed by acv and find that it helps with slip, I think it will help you out. Make sure to use plenty of conditioner, oil, mask or whatever moisture between the steps because it could be drying. Another thing is to check for splits and search and destroy any you might find. Splits love to tangle! Hope it helps :)

Ylva
September 28th, 2019, 04:59 AM
I've heard that shower filters cannot soften water, they just filter out chemicals like chlorine etc.

MusicalSpoons
September 28th, 2019, 05:03 AM
The shower head will only soften the water if it's a ShowerStick, FYI. All others do filter things you might have in the water if it's icky, and neutralise the chlorine/chloramine, but they don't do anything to the mineral ions that cause the water hardness. (Edit: didn't see Ylva​'s post! Sorry for the repetition.)

As for chelating, I have only heard that it can be drying so definitely pamper your hair with whatever it loves for moisture afterwards :)

Seeshami
September 29th, 2019, 11:03 AM
So important questions and answers because I am seriously bad at paying attention here. Too much Hiatus.

Have you clarified?
No, then do so. Yes, How long ago? More than a month, do so.

Chelate- Get a swimmers shampoo and conditioner. That is their purpose. It is easier then trying to risk a recipe for your first time. My hair stylist prefers Malibu to all the others and we use it in my color adventures.

Deep conditioning after anything like this? Hell Yes!
Try to stick to more natural conditioners, maybe do an oil conditioning and then you can use the good chemicals and cones should you choose to do so.

KTHXBAI! Good luck!:toast::flower:

MusicalSpoons
September 29th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Heh, I've just realised the title meant you were a virgin regarding chelating - I thought you were referring specifically to chelating virgin hair (not that it would make a significant difference anyway) :lol: :couch: :doh:

Ylva
September 29th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Heh, I've just realised the title meant you were a virgin regarding chelating - I thought you were referring specifically to chelating virgin hair (not that it would make a significant difference anyway) :lol: :couch: :doh:

I thought that too! :rollin: