PDA

View Full Version : Favorite leave-in conditioners

Wravyn
September 26th, 2019, 06:58 PM
I've been on the hunt for a good leave-in for quite a while now and still haven't found anything worth buying again. I'd really like something that helps to soften and protect my waves from frizzing out on me half way through the day.

I've tried Garnier's Whole Blends with coconut oil and cocoa butter, which left my hair very greasy and none the softer.
Hask's Cactus Water 5-1; it claims to detangle as well as condition. It does detangle well, but it also has a sticky feeling to it.
I've tried Cake Beauty's Mane Manager 3-in-1, which smells great and starts off feeling great but once it dries my ends feel like the moisture was sucked out of them.

What's your favorite leave-in?

ExpectoPatronum
September 26th, 2019, 07:05 PM
It's a little pricey, but I love Kinky Curly's Knot Today. I'm almost done with my third bottle! It's moisturizing enough that I can get away with just using that and a few drops of oil in my curls - no other stylers needed.

Dark40
September 26th, 2019, 09:14 PM
My favorite leave-ins are Isoplus Wrap Lotion and Garnier Fructis Leave-in Conditioning Cream. They both leave my hair feeling very soft and well-moisturized.

Arciela
September 26th, 2019, 09:39 PM
My favorite is biolage ultra hydrasource condtioner. Its really moisturizing and makes my ends soft.

TreesOfEternity
September 27th, 2019, 05:55 AM
I will keep an eye on this thread :)

lapushka
September 27th, 2019, 07:12 AM
The JBCO (Jamaican black castor oil) leave-in by Shea Moisture. I use about a coin size (dollop), about a euro to 2 euro's worth for my whole head. I have classic length, and I scrunch it in. Don't use more or it will weigh the hair down!

ETA
I just wanted to add the Frizz-taming smoothie by Shea Moisture. Technically it is a "curl cream", but to me it is more like a leave-in. And it smells deliciously of a salon/spa. It lingers all week for me! Heavenly! You don't hear this one talked about a lot. I slightly fear they might have discontinued it.

pisinoe
September 27th, 2019, 07:17 AM
The only one that worked for me so far is the Garnie Aloe Air Dry Cream. Doesn’t make my hair silky, but it’s as good as it gets.

Wravyn
September 27th, 2019, 12:05 PM
The JBCO (Jamaican black castor oil) leave-in by Shea Moisture. I use about a coin size (dollop), about a euro to 2 euro's worth for my whole head. I have classic length, and I scrunch it in. Don't use more or it will weigh the hair down!

ETA
I just wanted to add the Frizz-taming smoothie by Shea Moisture. Technically it is a "curl cream", but to me it is more like a leave-in. And it smells deliciously of a salon/spa. It lingers all week for me! Heavenly! You don't hear this one talked about a lot. I slightly fear they might have discontinued it.

I was actually considering trying the JBCO next but I read some recent reviews that the formula was changed and it doesn't work like the original (and it smells bad). Since I wouldn't have anything to compare it to, I would have tried it if not for multiple reviews saying it smells awful.

Groovy Granny
September 27th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Biosilk 17 Miracle is a wonderful leave in that I use all the time now....or I apply a dab of the conditioners/masks used in the shower :heart:

A little goes such a long way (3 squirts = pea size) for each half of my hair parted down the middle, and for the price has lasted a long time for me.

desisparkles
September 27th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Another fan of kinky curly knot today.

I did just buy Giovanni’s direct leave in and I have high hopes bc I love Giovanni but can’t confirm yet.

Also, I know flax seed gel isn’t technically a leave in but it’s very moisturizing if you’ve never tried it, I made some last night, added in a few drops of lavender, coconut oil and kinky curly knot today and I’m excited to try it out later.

lapushka
September 27th, 2019, 01:57 PM
I was actually considering trying the JBCO next but I read some recent reviews that the formula was changed and it doesn't work like the original (and it smells bad). Since I wouldn't have anything to compare it to, I would have tried it if not for multiple reviews saying it smells awful.

The original formula was said to smell bad already (like play-doh). I don't smell play-doh, I smell a really nice vanilla.

Wravyn
September 27th, 2019, 02:56 PM
It's a little pricey, but I love Kinky Curly's Knot Today. I'm almost done with my third bottle! It's moisturizing enough that I can get away with just using that and a few drops of oil in my curls - no other stylers needed.

Another fan of kinky curly knot today.

I did just buy Giovanni’s direct leave in and I have high hopes bc I love Giovanni but can’t confirm yet.

Also, I know flax seed gel isn’t technically a leave in but it’s very moisturizing if you’ve never tried it, I made some last night, added in a few drops of lavender, coconut oil and kinky curly knot today and I’m excited to try it out later.

I haven't tried anything specifically for curly hair... I do get some wide ringlets if I don't brush my hair after showering, but they never make it to a second day. By day two, it's more beach waves than curly. Do you think getting something like that would even make a difference for me?

The original formula was said to smell bad already (like play-doh). I don't smell play-doh, I smell a really nice vanilla.

Hmmm, okay. I would enjoy a vanilla scent lol

lapushka
September 27th, 2019, 04:12 PM

You'd really have to smell it for yourself (try it in store!) because it appears there's a divide between those of us who smell vanilla and those who smell play-doh! LOL!

desisparkles
September 27th, 2019, 05:51 PM
I haven't tried anything specifically for curly hair... I do get some wide ringlets if I don't brush my hair after showering, but they never make it to a second day. By day two, it's more beach waves than curly. Do you think getting something like that would even make a difference for me?

I would give the flax seed gel a go because it is so dirt cheap to make (only need 3 T and 1.25 c water) and can't get more natural than that. If you aren't trying to wear it wavy you could try adding the flax seed gel then brushing without scrunching after? maybe? I brush mine through then scrunch but I want more wave.

#5 is the basic recipe no add ins -

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html

TreesOfEternity
September 28th, 2019, 04:48 AM
The only one that worked for me so far is the Garnie Aloe Air Dry Cream. Doesn’t make my hair silky, but it’s as good as it gets.

Oh i tried this one not long ago, not sure if it is just for curlies but it felt good on my hair. Smells nice.

I am back to using my old favorite, klorane desert date leave in cream. It smells amazing and a little goes a long way. Being a cream i only use it post wash on damp hair though, I would like to find a nice leave in spray to use between washes, something light that does not build up on my hair.

Panthera
September 28th, 2019, 05:50 AM
I love Kinky curly Knot today too. Best conditioner I've ever tried. It has great slip, helps with frizz, it's not very heavy so it doesn't weigh my hair down.

bokeh
September 28th, 2019, 06:31 AM
I love Kinky curly Knot today too. Best conditioner I've ever tried. It has great slip, helps with frizz, it's not very heavy so it doesn't weigh my hair down.
I'm another fan of KCKT for all the same reasons. Just bought another bottle.

Wravyn
September 28th, 2019, 07:58 AM

I'm another fan of KCKT for all the same reasons. Just bought another bottle.

...seems to be popular. Might have to give it a try then :)

I would give the flax seed gel a go because it is so dirt cheap to make (only need 3 T and 1.25 c water) and can't get more natural than that. If you aren't trying to wear it wavy you could try adding the flax seed gel then brushing without scrunching after? maybe? I brush mine through then scrunch but I want more wave.

#5 is the basic recipe no add ins -

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html

Great, TY :blossom:

LoversLullaby
September 28th, 2019, 01:03 PM
I love the Shea Moisture Silicone Free Leave-In Spray (in the purple and pink bottle). It keeps my hair very soft. I spritz some into my hand and then apply it to wet ends every time I wash my hair!

Mariekeeee14
September 28th, 2019, 01:48 PM
I’ve not used it a lot yet, but I got it as a recommendation somewhere here: Cantu shea butter leave in. SOFT hair:)

ravenheather
September 28th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Kinky curly knot today works on me and my daughters. Textures are from 2a-3a.

lithostoic
September 28th, 2019, 07:28 PM
I am silicone free so I reaaaally love Shea Moisture's silicone free miracle detangler. I also like their 100% coconut oil leave-in spray.

p3anutbuttercup
December 20th, 2019, 10:18 PM
I really love the its a 10 miracle leave in. Might have to try some of the ones recommended in this thread.