PDA

View Full Version : Dryness increases shedding? (Or: Please, please comfort me)

Heidi_234
November 8th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I managed to return to once a week shower, instead of 2-3 showers per week. It all was fine, I had been doing it before, so my hair easily slid to the lower showering rate with no distress signs at all.
But this week, I took a shower last Thursday, and this Thursday I couldn’t shower because I come over my friend’s house for an overnight. The next day my hair became exceptionally dry, and my morning oiling didn’t help it much.
Worse than that, I started to notice hair hanging out my braid, and I pulled them out since shed hair does no good hanging in there. I keep pulling out shed hairs throughout the day which made me concerned. My ends were very dry and crunchy.
When I finally got back home I made my hot oil treatment (which didn’t work as well as it did before), and I took a shower. I lost a lot of hair. It was two times bigger a hairball than usual. After the shower I kept finding loose hairs and pulling them out so they won’t tangle and ruin the hair that still attached to my scalp.
Today, my ends are dryer than they were, and they attach to each other like Velcro, as like damaged ends needed to be trimmed. And I pulled out yet another batch of tangles shed hair.
Did that extra day without a shower put my hair under stress? Have somebody else experienced this kind of thing?

missbexy
November 8th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Hmmm that's strange, I have found my hair to be unusually dry this morning with little change in routine. Maybe it's just temporary shock your hair suffered and it will return to normal once you go back to your normal routine, though I don't think i've ever heard of one day making so much difference.

Nes
November 8th, 2008, 05:28 AM
It may be that you have just started a big shed. Do you usually get one around this time of year?

It seems unlikely to me that the change in washing would have causes this effect (but i'm no expert!)

Have you made any other changes to your routine?

Strange as it sounds, sometimes having a microtrim helps control my shedding (no idea why...)

Maybe try doing a head massage to stimulate blood flow and sebum production? I find it helps with shedding too.

Hope my silly ramblings helped somehow

Nes x

Heidi_234
November 8th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I don’t know really. It’s not the first time my hair reacts badly if I go another day after a week without taking a shower. I’m pretty convinced it has something to do with the hair getting so dry. Usually, a week after I get the first hints of dryness and I know right away I need to take a shower and condition my hair the same day.
I don’t think I have seasonal shedding. I feel like I shed too much around the year, but I don’t know if it’s abnormal or not. Last week when everything seemed to be fine I had relatively very little shed. But my shed rate does jumps acutely on day 8, and I wonder why it is so.
I did tried soupnuts for the first time, but it wasn’t the Thursday before but this Friday, after I already shed a ton and after my hair got extremely dry.

BTW, what’s microtrim?

Aisha25
November 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM
My hair did this to me 2 weeks ago and I was ascared but I dont think it has to do with it being dry or anything I think it was just a big shed time it happens so no need to worry dear:flower: A microtrim is the tiniest you can cut off the ends of hair like maybe 1/4inch and it might seem small but for most it makes a big difference.

ktani
November 8th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have heard of a theory on this, that the longer you go between washes, the drier the hair can become but I really doubt that 1 day would make any significant difference.

Healthy hair sheds about 130 to 150 hairs per day. When one washes and massages the scalp, it loosens the shed hairs.

That may be what what you are noticing in your braid, shed hair that is quite normal.

I would not be too concerned. This time of year, haircare needs adjusting to the heat being on in most places and you may just need to alter your usual routine to compensate. Use more or less product, depending on how your hair reacts.

Heidi_234
November 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I know that hair sheds naturally on daily basis. But it wasn't like I had my hair up all this time, and then 8 times 120 hairs started to show up when I finally did put it down. I usually bun it for work, get home put it down to enjoy it abit, and then braid it for bed. I had my usual shed this week, but then on day 8 it just went insane.
I'm still not convinced that it's not that extra day of extra dryness that caused it all. I had this before, that's why I very careful to shower before it's "too late". I believe that if I had been unable again to shower before the acute dryness, in few months from now, the results would be more or less the same. As I said, it happended before.
I appreciate your feedback, thanks for the support.