PDA

View Full Version : What's the funniest non-hair thing you've ever used on your hair?

SallySue
September 25th, 2019, 10:04 AM
I feel like we're all pretty experimental here, or at least have gone through experimental phases to unlock the secrets to nice hair.

The other day I was at my local farm supply store and purchased some Poultry Wash to use as a shampoo. Like, there's a photo of a chicken on the label.

Before you judge, listen to the ingredients: Coconut oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, potassium hydroxide*, aloe leaf juice, citric acid, shea butter, rosemary extract.

*used to make Castile soap from the oils, not present in final product.

There is one ingredient list guaranteed to excite any natural hair care person. I tried it and can affirm it left my feathers (ahem, hair) squeaky clean while hydrated. And, it was $4.

So let's hear it. What's the funniest thing *not designed for hair* that you have turned into a hair thing in your journey?

lapushka
September 25th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Oooh I think that wash might build up on the hair right fast, but... well, maybe an ACV or lemon juice rinse might be nice after? :flower:

I am through my experimental phase. The most "nutritious" things I ever put on my hair was egg, and banana (not in the same "mask"). Hated it both times. Egg was fine, but too nourishing and the banana was so finely done, but I still got chunks in my hair. Ugh.

Nope. Done. Over. Never again. :lol:

guska
September 25th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Coarse rye flour - big mistake! Worked okay but was extremely hard to wash out and left lots of dandruff-looking flakes all over my hair.

cjk
September 25th, 2019, 10:43 AM
My favorite hair stick is a spiral nail I got from Home Depot.

Deborah
September 25th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Wow! That Poultry Wash was a really fun thing to try, and it sounds ideal for someone who needs extra moisture in their hair. Do you plan to keep using it? I'm glad you shared it, as others may benefit from hearing about it. If you like it long term, you might like to do a product review, where other readers may be more likely to see it. Either way, it was fun to read about. Thanks.

Suortuva
September 25th, 2019, 12:55 PM
I'm just amazed of fact that poultry wash exists. I mean, is it really used to wash poultry? Do you need to wash poultry? With shampoo?

jane_marie
September 25th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Kombucha

I use it for rinses the same way some use vinegar.

MusicalSpoons
September 25th, 2019, 01:49 PM
I'm just amazed of fact that poultry wash exists. I mean, is it really used to wash poultry? Do you need to wash poultry? With shampoo?

Maybe for shows and competitions? I know other livestock get a cut and blow-dry for showing, to look their best :grin:

My entry to this thread is FemFresh, an 'intimate' wash - supposedly a lower pH so I tried it to see if it kept my scalp happy. It was okay for a couple of months, the longest my scalp has tolerated a sulphate product.

Suortuva
September 25th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Ok, this never happened but I almost used hemorrhoid cream in my hair, or scalp. Because of course I had to test Monistat (a local variant, and that doesn't count as funny here right (couldn't use because of headaches)). Because the the tubes were very similar, same colours, and both were in the bathroom.

Cg
September 25th, 2019, 02:58 PM
When my hair was much shorter I used golf tees as mini sticks.

MusicalSpoons
September 25th, 2019, 03:13 PM
When my hair was much shorter I used golf tees as mini sticks.

Oh that's both genius and adorable! :inlove:

lithostoic
September 25th, 2019, 03:35 PM
I accidentally used body butter on my hair last winter for like 2 whole weeks ... I thought my hair looked particularly hydrated XD The buildup was slightly worse than the hair cream (I thought I was using), but I hadn't noticed because I'd only washed two or three times in that span.

curly girl fla
September 25th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Chip Clips and Binder Clips have been useful for emergent get-my-hair-out-of-my-face situations...

Elodea
September 25th, 2019, 05:59 PM
This is actually a pretty normal hair product, but the way I used it did not turn out right. I tried putting coconut oil in my hair a number of years ago while I was washing it. I washed my hair with cool water and didn't realize that the water has to be warm enough so the coconut oil will melt and rinse out. So the coconut oil didn't really rinse out and I was perplexed and never used it again.

My favorite hair stick is a spiral nail I got from Home Depot.
I think I have one of the same nails! It's a good length (6 inches or so), sturdy and unconventional. They sell them as "galvanized timber ties" or something like that. I also have a shorter nail that could be used for a tiny bun.

SallySue
September 25th, 2019, 07:32 PM
Oh my, this is turning into quite a fun thread. Especially the feminine wash and hemorrhoid cream! LoL!

Wow! That Poultry Wash was a really fun thing to try, and it sounds ideal for someone who needs extra moisture in their hair. Do you plan to keep using it? I'm glad you shared it, as others may benefit from hearing about it. If you like it long term, you might like to do a product review, where other readers may be more likely to see it. Either way, it was fun to read about. Thanks.

For anyone who is curious, the product is Poultry Wash by the brand Green Goo. (Leaves a lovely visual, huh?)
Mine was on clearance but it retails for $12, normal fancy shampoo cost. However, being a castile soap it is highly concentrated. It lathers a LOT. I didn't detect any oil remaining on my hair, just a clean feeling.

Haziel
September 25th, 2019, 08:39 PM
We where going to a friend's wedding and my hair would NOT lay down, so I put hand lotion over the top and it stayed but was a bit tacky to wash out.
Trimming my ends with fingernail clippers. Tying my hair back with bailing twin. Horse detangler. For a crazy hair thing, pipe cleaners. And ofcourse we've all done the pen/pencil bun

FaerieToast
September 25th, 2019, 09:01 PM
It wasn't my hair, but it's pretty funny to me:

I was trying to put my partner's hair up into a twist bun, but he has just past shoulder length hair and I only had long chopsticks at the time.
I was on a journey to find the shortest thing I could put into his hair...
so I used a q-tip as a very short hairstick! It got pretty submerged in the bun so when he reached his hand back to feel it and couldn't find anything, he just looked at me really suspiciously. Hehe.

ExpectoPatronum
September 25th, 2019, 09:09 PM
Probably about 7 or 8 years ago now, I actually dyed my ends with koolaid.

The best part? It was probably the most permanent red dye I have ever used. It never washed out of my hair or even really lost its vibrancy! It didn't leave my hair sticky or dried out either. Now that I think about it, koolaid was probably the best hair dye I've ever tried!

Kalamazoo
September 25th, 2019, 09:33 PM
I was dressing up as a clown. For a hat, I used a lacy yellow shower cap. My hair was about waist-long. I was trying to make 2 braids that would stick out like Pippy Longstocking's hair. So I bent a coat hanger into an inverted "V" & used various colors of yarn to tie my braids to the arms of the coat hanger. Then I ran a length of yarn from the top of the hanger down my back, so I could pull the string & make my braids flip.

Brethil
September 26th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Maybe for shows and competitions? I know other livestock get a cut and blow-dry for showing, to look their best :grin:

Yep, for shows! They want the birds looking fluffy and clean and shiny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGpyFjOYIfo Amusingly enough, none of the multiple products he used were meant for chickens. Most of them were people shampoos.

FaerieToast
September 26th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Yep, for shows! They want the birds looking fluffy and clean and shiny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGpyFjOYIfo Amusingly enough, none of the multiple products he used were meant for chickens. Most of them were people shampoos.

I watched that video and my main thought was how well-behaved that bird was. So much better than trying to wash a cat! Ick.
I thought it was really interesting how he used a mixture of 4? shampoos inside of the water, as well as a shampoo for actual application on the feathers... I suppose it works that way, too, when people add salts or honey etc to their bathtubs. Huh.

ETA I've thought a lot about trying shampoo bars made for dogs, because they tend to have lovely ingredient lists that are really gentle and include oats! Maybe the next time I buy shampoo for myself I'll try to convince myself to do it a bit more. People using shampoos for chickens, and chickens using shampoos for people... it obviously works! ^^

Mlarmour
September 26th, 2019, 01:01 PM
I’ve tied my hair back with a charging cable, headphones cable, a sock and a glove - all separate incidents before today. Ive tried a clay mask on my hair and scalp before to try and calm my scalp down, it just irritated it more.

AutobotsAttack
September 26th, 2019, 03:20 PM
I’ve started putting lotion on my hair. Specifically from this brand called Murad. The ingredients list has similar ingredients in it like the typical conditioners and leave Ins you’d find at name brand stores, and it’s also moisturizing and lightweight so I figured why not. So now I can moisturize, LITERALLY, from head to toe lol.

Kalamazoo
September 26th, 2019, 09:01 PM

This brings up the age-old question, "If people can get chickenpox, do chickens ever get people pox?" :spam:

/hijack

renaatijs
October 15th, 2019, 06:02 AM
I remember once putting mayonnaise in my hair , my whole head smelled like salad :D I'm not even sure what benefits there were supposed to be

FrayedFire
October 22nd, 2019, 09:00 PM
I've used qtips, toothpicks, string and straws as well as folded paper and charging cables to hold up my hair... all sorts of nonsense works in a pinch!