PDA

View Full Version : Very short shedded hairs.

bluestar
September 22nd, 2019, 06:19 PM
When I comb my hair on the sides of my head short hairs fall out- around 4 to 8 inches. They are whole hairs, so my hair is not breaking off. What could be causing this loss or is it normal?

gin
September 22nd, 2019, 06:31 PM
A lot of my shed hairs are short too. I have a ton of baby/shorter hairs that exist all the time for as long as I remember, especially around my hairline, so I think I just have a lot of hairs that just have shorter terminal length. That's my guess anyway!

Nox_Inber
September 22nd, 2019, 06:48 PM
My response is basically the same as Gin's, many of my shed hairs are very short and it's definitely not breakage. Unless you start noticing lots of split ends or huge amounts of shedding I wouldn't be too worried about it :D

lapushka
September 23rd, 2019, 04:54 AM
When I comb my hair on the sides of my head short hairs fall out- around 4 to 8 inches. They are whole hairs, so my hair is not breaking off. What could be causing this loss or is it normal?

Maybe it is breakage. What's your routine like?

Do you still heat style (straightener, curling iron), or did you do so in the past?

Tell us a bit more on that!

Elizabeth E
September 23rd, 2019, 04:57 AM
I've wondered about this too. But I'm being super careful with my hair (no heat, tight hairstyles or excessive rubbing) so I don't think it's breakage.

EdG
September 23rd, 2019, 06:12 AM
It is normal to have a range of terminal lengths. Hairs around the temples tend to have short terminal lengths.
Ed

spidermom
September 23rd, 2019, 06:13 AM
Normal. I shed out very short hairs, too. Some hairs just have a very short growth cycle.

MusicalSpoons
September 23rd, 2019, 06:28 AM
Most likely normal :) but as lapushka says it could be that those hairs are artificially short if you've been using heat. Possibly even mechanical damage too - but then a certain amount of mechanical damage to wispy hairs is inevitable for all of us, especially if they're too difficult to protect and are at the mercy of the elements.

bluestar
September 26th, 2019, 08:28 PM
I do not use heat and I have not worn my hair down since 2015. (lurker here):D I wash my hair about two to three times a month. Honestly I am afraid that since i leave my hair in a bun and greasy if that is somehow stifling the hair root and causing premature loss. Is that possible?

S&S
September 26th, 2019, 08:50 PM
Look at either end of the hair - is there a bulb on it? = normal shed / life cycle

bluestar
September 26th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Yes, the bulb is present. :)