PDA

View Full Version : Curly Girl Method (CGM) Thread

zuzannaa.aaa
September 22nd, 2019, 06:08 PM
I haven't found an official Curly Girl Method thread, but if there is one, please feel free to let me know or redirect me somehow! I thought it would be useful for us doing the method to have a place to troubleshoot on this website.

My current routine for my fine 2b waves consists of using Alberto VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze conditioner for both a CO-wash and as a final conditioner. For the CO-wash, I massage it in while bent at waist for about five minutes, then let it sit for about 15 minutes while I do other shower things to let the grease dissolve. I do this 1-2x a week. After rinsing throughly, I put in a palmful more into the lengths and fingercomb (gently) to detangle my hair. As soon as I get out of the shower, I scrunch out excess water from my hair using an old cotton t-shirt then flip my hair upside down while bent at waist and scrunch in some Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel and let it dry. I found that plopping makes my hair heavy, but I still struggle with volume at the roots. If anyone has any tips, please let me know!

If you're also following the Curly Girl Method, I have some questions!

1) What's your hair type/curl pattern?
2) What do you use for your CO-wash?
3) What do you use for your final conditioner?
4) When do you put in your styling products and what are they?
5) How often do you wash?
6) How long have you been using this method and what results have you seen?
7) Do you do any other treatments along with the basic CO-wash and styling?

Let me know if you have any pro-tips as well! Thanks in advance.

Dark40
September 22nd, 2019, 08:57 PM
My hair type is 2c/3a, and I CO-wash using any type of cheap conditioner like Alberto VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Conditioner. Or, I will also use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner. My final conditioner is Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. I put my styling products in after I'm out of the shower, and they are just leave-in conditioners and hair creams. I wash 2-3 times a week. I've been following this method for 5 years, and I've been seeing some awesome results! Yes, I do deep conditioning treatments along with the basic CO-wash and styling.

desisparkles
September 23rd, 2019, 12:35 AM
I'm modified curly girl so there's that - I do use sulphates and clarifying shampoos as well as sulphate free shampoos and I brush my hair when wet and use boar bristles soft brush when dry from time to time.

I do not use silicones whatsoever.

I have fine mostly 2c waves.

when i clarify it's with renpure sage, tea tree shampoo or Vo5 mint tea shampoo.
mostly shampoo with giovanni root 66 or giovanni tea tree triple treat.
condition with gvp conditioning balm, nutrafix reconstructive protein treatment, not your mothers naturals purple, or not your mothers dark blue conditioners.
sometimes I mix a couple drops of oil with my condish in the shower (ROO rinse out oil method).
I wash every 5 to 6 days but if I wanna wash sooner I do.
I use a hair mask/ deep condish in the shower once every 2 to 4 weeks - green not your mothers masque is what I have used the last couple times.
Been curly girl since I first found out I was a wavy at the beginning of 2018.

I put this in the wavy wurly thread but I started doing the routine from this vid and my hair is loving it but I also like to just use mousse (blue not your mothers foam) or gel on it's own as a one and done.

https://youtu.be/pMV8JHS6HCA

after I wash and condition I put a pea amount of kinky curly knot today, then 2 pea amounts of blue not your mothers moisturising cream, brush with a wet brush, then smooth devacurl ultra defining gel - adding a quarter amount at a time about 5 quarters worth on wet but not dripping wet hair then scrunch.

I then plop in a muslin baby blanket for a while after gently squishing hair at roots and lengths to remove as much water as possible first - then let down and air dry - sometimes I use a claw clip to clip the front sides to the top as to add a little lift and get it out of my face.

i love flax seed gel as a curl enhancer and will be making some this week. I will use it before I smooth on my gel.

also I sleep with a silk scarf over my head and use satin pillow cases. The silk scarf has done wonders with smoothing and taming.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2019, 03:47 AM
I can't CO-wash, so I still use sulfates. I condition twice after a wash to "keep" my wave pattern and because I have quite dry lengths (oily scalp though, and SD (sebborheic dermatitis), which is why CO-washing is out).

I do stick to the "rules" such as not brushing dry. And use the LOC/LCO method for styling.

I don't strictly follow this method, but pick the things out that I like and that work for my hair.

Simpscone
September 23rd, 2019, 05:01 AM
I'm modified curly-girl too. I think a lot of people who follow CG do so in their own way!

1) What's your hair type/curl pattern? I tend to say I have 2c waves/wurls. Some of my hair forms ringlets, some barely waves without damp-styling though.
2) What do you use for your CO-wash? I have As I Am's Coconut Cowash and have used it for years. I shampoo every other wash with a sulphate-free shampoo (currently Maui Moisture Sea Minerals). Sometimes I'll use a clarifying shampoo if my hair has been acting funky.
3) What do you use for your final conditioner? Currently using Tresemme Botanique Conditioner - used on and off for years and love it.
4) When do you put in your styling products and what are they? It varies a little depending on my schedule, but I try to put in my stylers immediately after getting out of the shower, then plopping in a microfibre towel for about half an hour to soak up all the excess water, before letting it down to air dry (or diffuse if I need to be somewhere). I use Cantu's Curl Cream and Deva Curls Ultra Defining Gel. Sometimes I will use a Denman Brush to twirl individual pieces and help with definition, but I've been super lazy with this recently and just been scrunching my hair then leaving it.
5) How often do you wash? Shampoo & Condition once a week, Cowash once a week. Considering switching to washing once a week instead, but I'm not a fan of how greasy my roots get and how tangled up my wurls get.
6) How long have you been using this method and what results have you seen? On and off for years, but I've properly been following the rules since February/March this year.
7) Do you do any other treatments along with the basic CO-wash and styling? I do a deep conditioning treatment whenever I fancy, normally once a week or fortnight! I also sometimes use argon oil on my ends when they are dry, but overall I've been trying to leave my hair to do it's own thing!

SallySue
September 23rd, 2019, 08:19 AM
My hair is fine/thin 2b/c-3a. I have done mostly CG for a year. Over time my hair has become much healthier, with more curl and shine. The worst things ever for my fine curly hair are direct heat and sulfate shampoos.

Practicing CG showed me what sulfates and silicones do to my hair. Since mine is prone to dryness I cannot use them on a regular basis. Instead, I use Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner once or twice per week. Skipping shampoo to cowash can result in no volume, which is bad since my hair is thin. Shampoo is ok for me as long as it's sulfate free. Every other wash I do a deep conditioning treatment from the ears down. (If I put DC on my scalp I'll never have root volume!)

For styling, I start with wet hair and put leave-in conditioner and/or curl cream well distributed through the bottom half. I do scrunch+pump with plenty of gel all the way up to the root. Ecostyler is the best gel for me as it has lots of hold without drying hard.

For root volume, pay extra attention to the shape your hair is in when it dries. Clipping works wonders. So does sleeping in a pineapple in the days after a wash. When your roots get stretched out from tying hair up, mist with a spray bottle and the texture will come back.

Also, play attention to the weather when selecting products. Know what ingredients do what for you. Monitor the humidity. Selecting products is a delicate science and it takes time to get it right.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2019, 08:38 AM
If you're also following the Curly Girl Method, I have some questions!

I'm "kind of" following. Sort of haphazardly. But I will answer the questions!

1) What's your hair type/curl pattern? 2b/c
2) What do you use for your CO-wash? I don't CO-wash; I have to sulfate wash.
3) What do you use for your final conditioner? Anything I have on hand! My favorites are the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and the L'Oréal Elsève (aka Elvive) extraordinary oil.
4) When do you put in your styling products and what are they? After my hair comes out the towel (usually after 30-45 minutes after washing). I have all sorts of stylers, leave-ins, curl creams, my gel, and a serum.
5) How often do you wash? Once a week, every Sunday usually.
6) How long have you been using this method and what results have you seen? I have been WCC, ROO, LOC/LCO (see signature) for years.
7) Do you do any other treatments along with the basic CO-wash and styling? All that I do is in my signature. I wash and then style. I do detangle dry before I wash (to save the drain), to get sheds out, then I have a sifter in my tub to catch hairs that come out during the wash, and then I last detangle once my hair comes out the towel. So I am big on detangling especially since I leave my hair mostly alone during the week.

Arciela
September 26th, 2019, 09:27 AM
I follow CG, mostly. I cowash with suave clarifying condtioner..its the only condtioner I have found without ingredients that will irritate my scalp.

I use biolage ultra hydrasource condtioner as a leave in then plop for about 20 mins then I'll add gel. I'm looking for a good gel with a strong hold without proteins.

So far I've been doing this for a month and my hair is already way less oily, looks better and feels softer. It's no miracle yet though...I feel like I have a long way to go still.

unheardletters
September 26th, 2019, 10:15 AM
2c a mix of waves and curls - almost 2c/3a

Jessicurl

Innersense color radiance conditioner

I use curl keeper original or ag recoil then I use biosilk rock hard gellee. I either put them on soaking wet hair or damp hair, depending on the results I want. More volume if damp; frizz free if soaking. I rake in product and scrunch. I air dry, takes all day and my hair often is not fully dry until the next day. I’d probably get more spirals if I diffused dry but after 30 seconds I’m too bored to continue, so I cannot imagine doing that until my hair was fully dry.

I aim for once a week but I am not always consistent.

Almost 2 years. My curls have gotten more defined, less frizz. My hair is my hydrated and happier. More curls than before doing cgm.

No. I tried deep conditioning but my hair doesn’t like it.

zuzannaa.aaa
October 4th, 2019, 03:56 PM
My hair type is 2c/3a, and I CO-wash using any type of cheap conditioner like Alberto VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Conditioner. Or, I will also use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner. My final conditioner is Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. I put my styling products in after I'm out of the shower, and they are just leave-in conditioners and hair creams. I wash 2-3 times a week. I've been following this method for 5 years, and I've been seeing some awesome results! Yes, I do deep conditioning treatments along with the basic CO-wash and styling.

Dark40 Your routine seems to follow the basic CG ideas, and I also really like that conditioner and I'm glad you get awesome results from the method! I'm still relatively new to the method, and haven't found a good deep treatment or protein free conditioner since the VO5 one contains Hydrolyzed Collagen and gives me straw ends after a few washes. If you have any recommendations please let me know!

zuzannaa.aaa
October 4th, 2019, 03:59 PM
i love flax seed gel as a curl enhancer and will be making some this week. I will use it before I smooth on my gel.

desisparklesI'm really curious to know how you make your gel! I've been interested in making a flaxseed gel but haven't found a recipe to follow.

zuzannaa.aaa
October 4th, 2019, 04:03 PM
I do a deep conditioning treatment whenever I fancy, normally once a week or fortnight!

Simpscone What deep treatments do you use?? I'm in desperate need of good moisturization because my hair is currently stuck in protein overload from my conditioners and I'm tired of having straw ends:mad:

zuzannaa.aaa
October 4th, 2019, 04:05 PM
My hair is fine/thin 2b/c-3a. I have done mostly CG for a year. Over time my hair has become much healthier, with more curl and shine. The worst things ever for my fine curly hair are direct heat and sulfate shampoos.

Practicing CG showed me what sulfates and silicones do to my hair. Since mine is prone to dryness I cannot use them on a regular basis. Instead, I use Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner once or twice per week. Skipping shampoo to cowash can result in no volume, which is bad since my hair is thin. Shampoo is ok for me as long as it's sulfate free. Every other wash I do a deep conditioning treatment from the ears down. (If I put DC on my scalp I'll never have root volume!)

For styling, I start with wet hair and put leave-in conditioner and/or curl cream well distributed through the bottom half. I do scrunch+pump with plenty of gel all the way up to the root. Ecostyler is the best gel for me as it has lots of hold without drying hard.

For root volume, pay extra attention to the shape your hair is in when it dries. Clipping works wonders. So does sleeping in a pineapple in the days after a wash. When your roots get stretched out from tying hair up, mist with a spray bottle and the texture will come back.

Also, play attention to the weather when selecting products. Know what ingredients do what for you. Monitor the humidity. Selecting products is a delicate science and it takes time to get it right.

SallySue Thank you for the loads of advice! I'll be sure to take your words to heart and start monitoring my hair's needs along with the weather. I hadn't even thought of that :p

zuzannaa.aaa
October 4th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Lapushka I see the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a very popular conditioner in this method. Do you find that it moisturizes your hair well? I used that conditioner years ago and can't remember if I liked it or not :eek:

desisparkles
October 4th, 2019, 04:46 PM
desisparklesI'm really curious to know how you make your gel! I've been interested in making a flaxseed gel but haven't found a recipe to follow.

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html

I used #5 as the base. I usually switch up what I add to it each time.

This time I added a few drops lavender, a tiny squirt of leave in conditioner, a couple drops coconut oil and some store bought hair gel.
That way it's my one and done bc it has everything in it :)
I also freeze most of it in silicone baking cups so it won't spoil as I only wash every 4-6 days and the rest stays in the fridge.

It is also good to refresh waves with but I haven't been refreshing much these days - I just enjoy the waves at every stage, although by wash day I only have curls at my ends.

Lady Stardust
October 5th, 2019, 01:05 AM
https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html

I used #5 as the base. I usually switch up what I add to it each time.

This time I added a few drops lavender, a tiny squirt of leave in conditioner, a couple drops coconut oil and some store bought hair gel.
That way it's my one and done bc it has everything in it :)
I also freeze most of it in silicone baking cups so it won't spoil as I only wash every 4-6 days and the rest stays in the fridge.

It is also good to refresh waves with but I haven't been refreshing much these days - I just enjoy the waves at every stage, although by wash day I only have curls at my ends.

I use that recipe too :) I went out on a very rainy day recently and had no frizz at all, and I swear it’s because of that gel! I added a few drops of avocado oil, a drop of lavender and a glob of aloe vera gel last time. I freeze mine in ice cube trays too.

cjk
October 7th, 2019, 01:39 PM
I'm actually not certain whether this shampoo is actually curly girl compliant, but I noticed when I was in the shower this morning that it perfectly illustrates the curly girl approach to hair care.

https://i.imgur.com/bPtWCtj.jpg

lapushka
October 7th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Lapushka I see the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a very popular conditioner in this method. Do you find that it moisturizes your hair well? I used that conditioner years ago and can't remember if I liked it or not :eek:

It does have silicones, so it is not CG friendly; I have to tell you that.

If you want a good silicone free conditioner/mask, try the Garnier Fructis "treats" aka "hairfood" masks. It depends on where you are located, US and EU respectively how it's named. But it's *great* - I especially love the banana and the papaya one! The scent is divine!

zuzannaa.aaa
October 9th, 2019, 05:14 PM
It does have silicones, so it is not CG friendly; I have to tell you that.

If you want a good silicone free conditioner/mask, try the Garnier Fructis "treats" aka "hairfood" masks. It depends on where you are located, US and EU respectively how it's named. But it's *great* - I especially love the banana and the papaya one! The scent is divine!

I've been working with the 1 minute moisture with coconut extract treatment from Garnier Fructis and I really like it so far, but it gives me a little too much "softness" if you know what I mean. I haven't been able to find the hair food anywhere near me and I'm in the Chicago area:justy:

Simpscone
October 10th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Simpscone What deep treatments do you use?? I'm in desperate need of good moisturization because my hair is currently stuck in protein overload from my conditioners and I'm tired of having straw ends:mad:

I use the Garnier Hair Food Masks! My favourites are the banana and papaya ones :D

Edit: Oops I just saw your message above! Have you tried online?

lapushka
October 12th, 2019, 04:00 PM
I've been working with the 1 minute moisture with coconut extract treatment from Garnier Fructis and I really like it so far, but it gives me a little too much "softness" if you know what I mean. I haven't been able to find the hair food anywhere near me and I'm in the Chicago area:justy:

Hairfood is how it is called in the EU/Belgium, it is the same as "treats" in the US. That was what I was trying to explain, but perhaps did badly?

desisparkles
October 15th, 2019, 03:32 PM
so I pulled a photo of my hair before with silicones and a pic of about 2 years without silicones.

honestly, I don't really see "that" much of a difference and I'm kinda shocked by that.

https://i.imgur.com/z1YpHPd.jpg

lithostoic
October 15th, 2019, 10:54 PM
I do modified curly girl sometimes. Moooostly I just don't even style my hair and let it air dry however it likes. Usually straightish wavyish.

lapushka
October 16th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I don't think it really matters whether or not you use silicones, especially if they are the water-soluble kind. I sometimes use straight-up dimethicone in my conditioners, and... no difference either; oh yes, the tangles are different. :lol: Except with the Garnier Fructis Treats/Hairfood mask, that's no silicones and *performs*!

desisparkles
October 16th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I don't think it really matters whether or not you use silicones, especially if they are the water-soluble kind. I sometimes use straight-up dimethicone in my conditioners, and... no difference either; oh yes, the tangles are different. :lol: Except with the Garnier Fructis Treats/Hairfood mask, that's no silicones and *performs*!

You find less tangling with silicones? My curiosity has def been peaked!

lapushka
October 17th, 2019, 05:17 AM
You find less tangling with silicones? My curiosity has def been peaked!

Oh yes! More slip, less tangling. I especially like the Hello Hydration conditioner by Herbal Essences (great detangler) and the L'Oréal Elvive (Elsève in my country) extraordinary oil. Amazing conditioners! But if you want to go silicone-free, the Garnier Fructis Hairfood/Treats masks are a great product and work just as well. I like them all equally!

Dung Beetle
October 17th, 2019, 06:40 AM
I've been considering CGM lately, at least a modified version. Do any of you put aloe vera gel in your hair, and what effect does it have? Does it have any sort of hold?

BeepBooop
October 18th, 2019, 06:33 PM
I gave up on CGM a long time ago. I mostly wear my hair up so it didn't make sense to try to define my curls when it's going to be twisted up in a bun. I still CO-wash and use cone free (or mostly cone free) shampoos every now and then.

Arciela
October 19th, 2019, 10:30 PM
I've been considering CGM lately, at least a modified version. Do any of you put aloe vera gel in your hair, and what effect does it have? Does it have any sort of hold?

I tried that but it didn't give me much hold at all! You could still try it..some people love it :flower: My hair needs strong hold, so I use LA looks gel!

MadelineMomo
October 22nd, 2019, 10:47 PM
I think I tried it once years ago and it didn't work for me? But I honestly barely remember now. A friend of mine who has beautiful 3B curls suggested to me a few months ago that maybe it would be good for my hair. I figure it's worth trying again, anyways.

I guess I just kind of assumed that—for those of us with long hair that we wear in buns most days—it makes sense to skip "product" (you know, the curl defining, gel, whatever) and not to scrunch your hair (wouldn't the weight of your wet hair just undo that?). But is that actually true? Broadly speaking, what ways can the "main" curly girl method (the one you find on all the blogs if you google it) be altered to better suit long hair you usually wear up?

zanelle
October 23rd, 2019, 02:24 AM
What I do is SMT from time to time (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128), say every 3 weeks.
I keep my hair up in buns, using hair forks mostly. I braid it at night and use a bit of Almond oil or Argan oil on the ends - a few drops really.
I wash it every 4 days or 5, not so often.
I just discovered I can buy curly girl approved products locally which is great.
I posted my pics in the wurly thread and pics thread too, but will post them again so you can see the products I just bought.
Really happy with it. I must admit though that the flaxseed gel is really good. Just hate the smell, so I bought a Shea moisture one.
Something really weird: When I do the proosity test, my hair floats for a long while. This Shea moisture gel is for high porosity hair.
The weird part is it's my hair sucks it all in as if I have nothing on :-)
So it acts like high porosity hair, except it floats when I test it.
My hair is on the fine side, my wurls are more of a 2b type.
Now, pictures (again, sorry if you've seen them already)
I used some condish on the ends, washed the roots using the shampoo from Shea moisture, microfiber towel on for a minute or 2. I applied the Innersense cream, gel. Scrunched, put it up in a bun, went out in the sun for 15 mins or so.

https://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/Snakecharmer7/81e3697f-d9fb-45f9-bcf4-10e18d5d9f14.jpeg

https://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/Snakecharmer7/2019oct.png

https://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/Snakecharmer7/09e45010-2e84-484c-82a5-e698fcbc77cf.jpeg

MadelineMomo
October 26th, 2019, 12:05 PM
In proper Curly Girl fashion, I tried pineappling my hair for the night after co-washing it. I sort of bundled it up on top of my head and wrapped my satin scrunchie around it and went to bed.

It did not dry. Like at all. It was still completely damp in the morning when I took it down. At that point, the weight + dampness stretched it back out into basically it's usual state. When it dried it was the same level of waviness as normal.

I think this is a long-hair unique problem. Large masses of hair (particularly when bundled up and thus made dense) don't dry the same way smaller quantities of hair do. Does anyone here pineapple their hair overnight and have it actually dry? If so, how?

lapushka
October 26th, 2019, 01:12 PM
zanelle, I love your results. I hope you like your products as well. A good styler is half the battle.

reena
October 27th, 2019, 05:14 AM
In proper Curly Girl fashion, I tried pineappling my hair for the night after co-washing it. I sort of bundled it up on top of my head and wrapped my satin scrunchie around it and went to bed.

It did not dry. Like at all. It was still completely damp in the morning when I took it down. At that point, the weight + dampness stretched it back out into basically it's usual state. When it dried it was the same level of waviness as normal.

I think this is a long-hair unique problem. Large masses of hair (particularly when bundled up and thus made dense) don't dry the same way smaller quantities of hair do. Does anyone here pineapple their hair overnight and have it actually dry? If so, how?

I think pineapple is meant only for dry hair? I do pineappling every night but never go to bed with wet/damp hair, I have heard some people wait until their hair forms a cast and then they use a satin cap to keep it in place overnight. But that probably wouldn't work with long hair

zanelle
October 27th, 2019, 09:13 AM
zanelle, I love your results. I hope you like your products as well. A good styler is half the battle.

Thank you! I truely just discovered how much of a difference the right products can make. Amazing!
All I need now is patience .... I am waiting for all those layers to come down :-D

desisparkles
October 27th, 2019, 10:15 AM

I agree with Reena. This may be a silly suggestion but I read on here that someone with hair much longer than mine dries her hair while she sleeps by putting her pillow at the bottom of the bed and having her hair hang off the side with a fan pointed at it. you KNOW I had to try that hack, it really worked beautifully on me. I don't do it often bc I like to wash during the day and either let it air dry while I go about my day OR I sit in front of my BIG fan while it dries - my hair only takes about 45 min max to dry that way so I just watch some netflix with my earbuds on and I'm gucci.

BeepBooop
October 30th, 2019, 05:11 PM
I think I tried it once years ago and it didn't work for me? But I honestly barely remember now. A friend of mine who has beautiful 3B curls suggested to me a few months ago that maybe it would be good for my hair. I figure it's worth trying again, anyways.

I guess I just kind of assumed that—for those of us with long hair that we wear in buns most days—it makes sense to skip "product" (you know, the curl defining, gel, whatever) and not to scrunch your hair (wouldn't the weight of your wet hair just undo that?). But is that actually true? Broadly speaking, what ways can the "main" curly girl method (the one you find on all the blogs if you google it) be altered to better suit long hair you usually wear up?

That is my *exact* experience with CGM. It didn't work for me, but to be honest, it's not devastating for me. I find that I'm quite lazy when it comes to my hair so I just dropped CGM... mostly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...although I am slightly jealous of those who get beautiful results...

Dung Beetle
October 31st, 2019, 06:21 AM
I guess I'm going back to sulfate & silicone free for a while. This was the first day and my hair is noticeably harder to untangle.

Panthera
October 31st, 2019, 02:54 PM

I don't think that's part of the original cgm. You're supposed to air dry or diffuse your hair. There's a lot of wrong information online and different methods are being mixed up, I hear a lot of people are wrapping their hair inside a towel and wearing the towel for several hours or even through the night? I don't know what method it is but it's not cgm. I actually tried it a few times and got terrible results, my hair didn't dry either. I'm sure it works for some people but it's not my thing. It might be better for someone with thinner and wavier hair.

I don't exactly follow the method but I've read the book and I guess my routine could be considered as a modified cgm. I don't use silicones, drying alcohols, sulfates etc (but I don't avoid parabens or waxes), I don't heat style my hair, I do use a leave in conditioner and gel and so on. I do clarify my hair every now and then with sulfates but most of the time I wash my hair with herbs. Before the herbal washes I was using sulfate free shampoo and co-washes but co-washing doesn't clean my scalp well enough so I stopped doing it and the sulfate free shampoos don't work so well either.

2C, thick and coarse, low porosity, botticelli curls

When I co-washed I used mane n tail original conditioner, it's not cg-friendly

If a final conditioner means the leave in, I use Kinky curly Knot today. My favorite rinse out conditioner is Tresemme botanique nourish&replenish conditioner. I never leave any of it in my hair.

Immediately after I've washed my hair, when it's dripping wet, I don't dry my hair at all. Leave in and gel, I switch my gels a lot, currently I'm using Wella Shockwaves ultra strong gel.

Every 4 days.

Umm.. not sure. I stopped using silicones and harsh sulfates etc about 2-3 years ago but I've been switching my products a lot and trying different methods along the way. My hair is less frizzy and dry and my scalp is no longer itching or flaking. My scalp issues are the main reason I'm avoiding many ingredients.

SMT sometimes. ROO, WCC, not part of the cgm either. I do mix all kinds of conditioning goodies in my herb wash mix though but that's another story.

desisparkles
November 14th, 2019, 11:24 AM
anybody try silicones after being curly girl for a good while?

I was silicone free for almost 2 years then on monday decided I wanted to try some amodimethicone products (shampoo, condish, leave in) in the hopes of giving extra protection to my fragile, fine hair and well my scalp itched like hell (amodimethicone in shampoo probably was the culprit on that) but also when I woke up the next day my hair looked TERRIBLE. I mean it looked like a weedwhacker was set loose in there and that has never happened to me before.

so I washed with a sulfate shampoo twice (i'm modified cg - I use sulphates a couple times a month) then went on with my silicone free stuff after a deep condish and hair was looking fab, even woke up with it looking fab.

I don't really ever refresh unless for a special occasion so I get to day 5,6 with my hair looking good to me. I couldn't even get 24 hours out of my silicone wash try.

So I'm thinking it's:

A. the exact products I used weren't right for me (It's a 10 miracle leave in with keratin & garnier whole blends maple set)

or

B. My hair loathes silicones.

I've had terrible hair days back in the day before I knew about cgm but I don't remember it being this awful.

I wonder if my hair has gotten so used to no silicones it's now boycotting any of the sort....

anyway, wondering if anybody else has had a similar situation or experimented with cones after being cg for a good while?

katsumii
November 14th, 2019, 04:47 PM

1.) My hair is wavy! 2a-2c, maybe. Low porosity.
2.) I just use silicone-free conditioner. My favorites are Cantu (really any of their conditioners), SheaMoisture Strengthen & Restore, and SheaMoisture Low-Porosity Protein-Free conditioner. I also wash with SheaMoisture's low-porosity protein-free shampoo.
3.) Same conditioners as #2.
4.) Sometimes, especially on extra tangly days, I use SheaMoisture protein-free detangler in the shower or afterwards while my hair is still wet, and comb it through with a wide-tooth shower comb. I let my hair dry completely (usually overnight) before lightly combing it with a wide-tooth hair pick. The main hair styler I use is SheaMoisture Hold & Shine moisture mist. I use this like a hair spray, even though it's just a mist. It holds my curls in well, actually!
5.) Most days. Usually every couple of days.
6.) About 4 months now!
7.) Yes.... I use cassia and henna :D I love the way cassia affects my hair. It's a proven way for me to go knot-free, I love it! It's wild!

I also use SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration masque sometimes, especially as a conditioner after henna and "henndigo." It really, really helps soften my hair: https://www.target.com/p/sheamoisture-manuka-honey-mafura-oil-intensive-hydration-hair-masque-12oz/-/A-15651079

I avoid sulfates and silicones at all costs!

intothemist1999
June 2nd, 2021, 08:31 PM
A question for between-washes. I've been on the CGM a bit over a year, but I don't really find the payoff worth it. Since I'm a wavy, I thought I would try it, mainly to improve the condition of my hair, but I can't say it looks or feels better. I'm now doing a slight variation of it, just to bring out the waves-with-some-curls.

To revive the curls, is there something that one can do between washes? I've tried spritzing water and although it perks up the curl (er, *wave*) it doesn't make them clump and it just looks stringy. Oil is iffy on my hair, so I'm off it at the moment. Is there something else one can try that is CGM friendly? Thanks!

Mariekeeee14
June 3rd, 2021, 03:55 AM
A question for between-washes. I've been on the CGM a bit over a year, but I don't really find the payoff worth it. Since I'm a wavy, I thought I would try it, mainly to improve the condition of my hair, but I can't say it looks or feels better. I'm now doing a slight variation of it, just to bring out the waves-with-some-curls.

To revive the curls, is there something that one can do between washes? I've tried spritzing water and although it perks up the curl (er, *wave*) it doesn't make them clump and it just looks stringy. Oil is iffy on my hair, so I'm off it at the moment. Is there something else one can try that is CGM friendly? Thanks!

It could be your hair doesn't respond to damp refreshing well and you could benefit from wet refreshing. That's even more of a hassle though. Have you tried using a brush to clump?

Kibrah
June 3rd, 2021, 09:56 AM
I haven't been doing this very long but one method I find that works for me is to put a tiny amount of curl cream or leave in on my palm then spray a few sprays of water on my palm. Then a run my hands together to mix it and smooth it on my hair, then gently scrunch. When applying I kinda bend my fingers sorta like I am going to finger detangle so my fingers go a bit between the clumps to get some moisture in there. I do it very gently. I gently scrunch. I don't use to much so it's just barely damp and dries fast. I have seen a lot of people online using a steam refresh. I haven't tried that but they seem to get good results.

Arciela
June 3rd, 2021, 12:13 PM
Tried cgm for a while and it just made my hair feel coated and icky. Also gave me an itchy scalp. I stopped and went back to my regular routine.

I also have the same issue with trying to refresh my curls/waves. When I spray my hair with water it sorta clumps but mostly just looks odd. I gave up and just braid my hair or put it up in a LWB :flower:

What I found really helps is using a gel, it keeps my hair decent until next wash.

intothemist1999
June 3rd, 2021, 12:54 PM
It could be your hair doesn't respond to damp refreshing well and you could benefit from wet refreshing. That's even more of a hassle though. Have you tried using a brush to clump?

Thanks for the water tip. I haven't tried a brush...it makes me anxious that the wave/curl will disappear altogether :magic:

intothemist1999
June 3rd, 2021, 12:58 PM
...one method I find that works for me is to put a tiny amount of curl cream or leave in on my palm then spray a few sprays of water on my palm. Then a run my hands together to mix it and smooth it on my hair, then gently scrunch. When applying I kinda bend my fingers sorta like I am going to finger detangle so my fingers go a bit between the clumps to get some moisture in there. I do it very gently. I gently scrunch. I don't use to much so it's just barely damp and dries fast...

Thanks you for that info, I will give it a whirl!! :grin:

intothemist1999
June 3rd, 2021, 01:10 PM
Tried cgm for a while and it just made my hair feel coated and icky. Also gave me an itchy scalp. I stopped and went back to my regular routine.....

What I found really helps is using a gel, it keeps my hair decent until next wash.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah the cgm gave me scalp problems, too, so I was off it for a couple months, recently. I'm now doing a modified version by adding any post-washing/conditioning product after I undo the plop, and to the length only. It means touching the hair, with I know some people don't like to do (and I know it's not causing some of the problem in my original question because I had this issue while on cgm-proper). I've also had to switch to using the blow dryer some, because my hair takes forever to dry and I think that was part of the scalp problem
. I'm looking for the perfect gel...I kind of went off that, too, when the scalp problems started but I should re-introduce that.

Thanks again! :flower:

Mariekeeee14
June 3rd, 2021, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the water tip. I haven't tried a brush...it makes me anxious that the wave/curl will disappear altogether :magic:

I'm referring to brush styling, so it's wet brushing in a certain fashion, not dry brushing. I'm sure it's on youtube and on instagram (if you use that)

intothemist1999
June 3rd, 2021, 09:28 PM
I'm referring to brush styling, so it's wet brushing in a certain fashion, not dry brushing. I'm sure it's on youtube and on instagram (if you use that)

Oh, interesting, thanks! I'll look into it!

BexLocks
June 5th, 2021, 07:43 AM
I'm just trying out CGM having thought I had completely straight hair all my life. Turns out it's actually 2B, which I am delighted about! I've done pieces of the method for a few months - putting in a leave-in while wet and scrunching upside down with a t-shirt to dry, then air drying without combing. Last night, I clarified and deep conditioned, and also used aloe Vera as a last step gel. Question for all of you who have been doing this longer: some of my hair is very curly and other parts are mostly straight. Did someone else have this? Did it even out with continued use of the method, or did you do something extra to get it to be more consistent? Or did you just embrace your multi-textured look!? Thanks curly friends!

Kibrah
June 5th, 2021, 11:49 AM
I'm just trying out CGM having thought I had completely straight hair all my life. Turns out it's actually 2B, which I am delighted about! I've done pieces of the method for a few months - putting in a leave-in while wet and scrunching upside down with a t-shirt to dry, then air drying without combing. Last night, I clarified and deep conditioned, and also used aloe Vera as a last step gel. Question for all of you who have been doing this longer: some of my hair is very curly and other parts are mostly straight. Did someone else have this? Did it even out with continued use of the method, or did you do something extra to get it to be more consistent? Or did you just embrace your multi-textured look!? Thanks curly friends!

The hair that comes from the very top of my hair is less wavy than the rest especially the front. It was almost straight, but is is slowly getting wavier. I wonder if it's from sun damage in my case.

Bri-Chan
June 5th, 2021, 03:30 PM

I don't follow it anymore (speaking for the products) but it's totally normal to have different textures. Length can affect it, and sometimes the hair cut too.
I personally just let my straight sections be.

intothemist1999
June 5th, 2021, 04:56 PM
...Question for all of you who have been doing this longer: some of my hair is very curly and other parts are mostly straight. Did someone else have this? Did it even out with continued use of the method, or did you do something extra to get it to be more consistent? Or did you just embrace your multi-textured look!? Thanks curly friends!

Mine is wavy with some straight. I don't think it completely evened out, but I did find that using gel (before or after plopping, I can't remember) and the plopping itself were key to helping the curl. Like you, I always thought I had straight hair, but when I switched to CGM a couple of people asked if I'd had my hair permed! :D I've gone back to a variation on cgm but I'll definitely always to the plop cuz it makes such a difference!

BexLocks
June 5th, 2021, 06:48 PM
Thanks Kibra, Bri-Chan, and intothemist1999! I'm excited to see where this goes. I think the gel and plopping will help.

intothemist1999
January 2nd, 2022, 07:18 PM
I wonder if anyone can tell me if the Royal Cream conditioner that comes with Herbatint hair color is CGM friendly? I get REALLY great results from the packet, and they also sell it by the bottle, and I'm thinking of buying some.
Thanks!

Water, citric acid, cetyl alcohol, behentrimonium chloride, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, moringa pterygosperma (moringa) seed extract, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, PPG-3 benzyl ether myristate, methylgluceth-20, ethoxydiglycol oleate, isopropyl alcohol, sodium dehydroacetate, sodium benzoate, fragrance, imidazolidinyl urea. tocopheryl acetate, glycerin.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2022, 05:22 AM
I wonder if anyone can tell me if the Royal Cream conditioner that comes with Herbatint hair color is CGM friendly? I get REALLY great results from the packet, and they also sell it by the bottle, and I'm thinking of buying some.
Thanks!

Water, citric acid, cetyl alcohol, behentrimonium chloride, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, moringa pterygosperma (moringa) seed extract, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, PPG-3 benzyl ether myristate, methylgluceth-20, ethoxydiglycol oleate, isopropyl alcohol, sodium dehydroacetate, sodium benzoate, fragrance, imidazolidinyl urea. tocopheryl acetate, glycerin.

I think so!

Anyone else, in case I am mistaken?

I don't think I saw a silicone, though. :hmm:

And yep, I used that dye in the past, that conditioner is lovely!!!

intothemist1999
January 3rd, 2022, 04:19 PM
Thanks! From what I could figure out it seemed to be, but I'm not always up on the five-syllable ingredients 😁

(PS sorry, I haven't been here for a while and I forgot how to do a reply to a post rather than the thread)

Mariekeeee14
January 4th, 2022, 12:59 AM
Thanks!

Officially it is not, because it contains isopropyl alchohol, and that is a harsh one. That is it though, and it is relatively low on the ingredients list. I've heard that alcohol can be fleeting, so it doesn't stay on the hair long. And you know, you say it works for you. Whatever works, works. I go by the Pirate adagium that there are no cgm rules, they're more like guidelines. (Of course, if you're trying strict cgm, it's not allowed. You do you.)

lapushka
January 4th, 2022, 04:59 AM
Officially it is not, because it contains isopropyl alchohol, and that is a harsh one. That is it though, and it is relatively low on the ingredients list. I've heard that alcohol can be fleeting, so it doesn't stay on the hair long. And you know, you say it works for you. Whatever works, works. I go by the Pirate adagium that there are no cgm rules, they're more like guidelines. (Of course, if you're trying strict cgm, it's not allowed. You do you.)

Alcohol that low usually acts like a preservative, and is not part of the actual formula in its essence.

But you know I just have to go there. Given that Deva curl, of all "companies", who started the CGM is now in such a mess (with the hairloss lawsuits), I no longer know about the method, you know. It's not that I want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but just sayin'.

If it works, it works, and I would not question it to be "strict" to a method.

Just my 2cts.

Priska
March 16th, 2024, 04:48 PM
Is cgm unsuitable for a person who's hair is very prone to get tangled? My number 1 priority in haircare is to avoid tangles...

Chasemi
March 18th, 2024, 09:04 AM
Probably. I wouldnt suggest the CGM. Silicones are known for helping to provide slip to the hair which avoids tangles. Silicones protect hair in many ways, so if your hair is especially prone to tangles you'd probably benefit from having them in your routine

DarleneH
March 18th, 2024, 11:34 AM
Is cgm unsuitable for a person who's hair is very prone to get tangled? My number 1 priority in haircare is to avoid tangles...

I just posted earlier this morning in the products forum that I'm going back to silicones after several years of trying CGM. My hair is just too fine textured, and it's been a nightmare of tangles on CGM. I hate how much straighter it is with silicones, but it looks too much a rat's nest right now on CGM.

Video I found informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaED6MfWies

Priska
March 19th, 2024, 01:12 PM
Thank you DarleneH and Chasemi!

Priska
March 19th, 2024, 01:15 PM
I'm especially afraid of not being able to brush the hair... doesn't this easily cause tangles?...

lapushka
March 20th, 2024, 07:17 AM
If you are in the 1s... don't do it. You have to have at least some texture, IMO.