PDA

View Full Version : Ends of hair super dry after moisturising

Mlarmour
September 18th, 2019, 03:37 PM
The ends of my hair have recently gone really dry, they’re very straw like at the moment and tangle super easily. I can brush my hair and in minutes the ends of my hair are matted together.
I’m not sure to why this is happening, the ends aren’t damaged as far as I can tell. It’s happened after I left my oil mixture (avocado oil, castor oil and coconut oil) on overnight. I then tried to fix it with leave in conditioner and a deep conditioning mask last night but now it seems worse. I do have pretty dry hair naturally, but not like this. Last time it felt like this I had spent 7 weeks in Thailand and basically abused my hair with direct sunshine and salt water and chlorine water nonstop, but then it was all over not just my ends.

Zesty
September 18th, 2019, 03:42 PM
Have you tried a clarifying shampoo all the way to the ends? Sounds like classic buildup to me.

Mlarmour
September 18th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Have you tried a clarifying shampoo all the way to the ends? Sounds like classic buildup to me.
I haven’t. I’ve never really had an issue with build up before as I don’t really use all that many products, generally just shampoo, conditioner/deep conditioner and leave in conditioner plus oils every so often

Zesty
September 18th, 2019, 03:52 PM
I haven’t. I’ve never really had an issue with build up before as I don’t really use all that many products, generally just shampoo, conditioner/deep conditioner and leave in conditioner plus oils every so often

What kind of shampoo are you using? It might not be strong enough if you're starting to leave oils on overnight and do masks and such.

I would clarify really thoroughly, then moisturize, and see where that gets you.

Mlarmour
September 18th, 2019, 03:58 PM
What kind of shampoo are you using? It might not be strong enough if you're starting to leave oils on overnight and do masks and such.

I would clarify really thoroughly, then moisturize, and see where that gets you.

I use the ginger shampoo from the body shop, it is the same shampoo I’ve used for about 7/8 years. Ever since I started oiling my hair 4 years ago all I’ve ever used to wash it out is that shampoo and it’s never been a problem. I’m really inconsistent about oiling my hair, but whenever I have done it, it has been over night. It’s the only shampoo that doesn’t irritate my scalp.

lapushka
September 18th, 2019, 04:05 PM
I use the ginger shampoo from the body shop, it is the same shampoo I’ve used for about 7/8 years. Ever since I started oiling my hair 4 years ago all I’ve ever used to wash it out is that shampoo and it’s never been a problem. I’m really inconsistent about oiling my hair, but whenever I have done it, it has been over night. It’s the only shampoo that doesn’t irritate my scalp.

My advice would also be to clarify.

Get yourself a cheapie sulfate shampoo, and suds the ends up as well; do not just let the suds travel down, really get in there. If it does not immediately work, but gets a little bit better, follow it up your next wash as well.

To me it does also sound like classic build-up. :flower:

Kalamazoo
September 18th, 2019, 04:06 PM
When I moisturize my ends, I dampen them first with either bottled spring water (that I've repackaged in a little spray bottle) or else herbal tea (that I've also put in a spray bottle). Currently, my hair tea consists of rosemary, horsetail, catnip, & rooibos steeped in spring water, with fenugreek seeds thrown in to soak. That hair tea also tastes good for drinking. In my spray bottle, I also have a tiny bit of kalonji oil.

After spraying my ends, then I add a tiny bit of whichever oil I feel like using that day. So my goal is to use the oil as an overcoat to seal in the water.

But yes, it would be very good to clean off the old built-up oil before starting, to avoid having the build-up seal the water OUT of your hair...

Zesty
September 18th, 2019, 04:09 PM

You don't have to use a different shampoo *all* the time. :flower: I get having a picky scalp. But in this case I would give clarifying with a strong sulfate shampoo a try. Sometimes hair just needs a reset.

Wendyclaire
September 18th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Coconut oil does that to me too. I use argan oil and it works well

lapushka
September 18th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Good point on the coconut oil. It wasn't solely used, but it might contribute to dry, crunchy ends.

I myself can't use coconut oil, not even fractionated (always liquid), as it leaves my lengths/ends dry & crunchy/brittle.

I still would clarify-wash, if not for this reason. You need to get that off there.

Shorty89
September 18th, 2019, 05:37 PM
I agree with clarifying. You may also need protein, as odd as it sounds. sometimes, if my moisture isn't absorbing, I do a short protein treatment before my moisture treatment and it helps.

Wendyclaire
September 18th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Good point on the coconut oil. It wasn't solely used, but it might contribute to dry, crunchy ends.

I myself can't use coconut oil, not even fractionated (always liquid), as it leaves my lengths/ends dry & crunchy/brittle.

I still would clarify-wash, if not for this reason. You need to get that off there.
I guess it works for some people. I had a personal trainer once that told me if I ate a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil a day I’d have a flat tummy. That didn’t work either! Haha!

MusicalSpoons
September 18th, 2019, 09:05 PM
I agree with clarifying. You may also need protein, as odd as it sounds. sometimes, if my moisture isn't absorbing, I do a short protein treatment before my moisture treatment and it helps.

Oh yes, that's a good point. Another member had a thread on here about huge success after doing her first protein treatment because it then held onto moisture, and being unable to moisturise despite troubleshooting is one of the signs Science-y Hair Blog says indicates a need for protein.

The-Young-Maid
September 18th, 2019, 11:59 PM

Now see I'm the opposite. Coconut oil is the only thing I can use because everything else leaves my hair dry/tangly/crunchy. So strange lol

OP I also recommend a clarifying wash or two. Next time try the oils one at a time, you might be able to determine which one is causing the buildup. It might be the kind or maybe the amount.

RubberDucky
September 19th, 2019, 12:24 AM
My hair tends to be really dry and I finally figured out one of the reasons: it absolutely HATES protein, coconut and shea butter. If I use any of these it gets dry, frizzy and my ends turn crispy. So I concentrate heavily on moisture and avoid oils and protein.

Mlarmour
September 19th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I did a quick baking soda wash and an acv rinse and now my hair is feeling back to normal.

lapushka
September 19th, 2019, 06:48 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I did a quick baking soda wash and an acv rinse and now my hair is feeling back to normal.

I would not use BS next time! It is very very alkaline. If we say clarify we mean a basic sulfate shampoo. It is not nearly as damaging as baking soda is. But... it's your hair! :flower:

Lady Stardust
September 19th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I had a look at the Body Shop ginger shampoo and as far as I know, it would work as a clarifying and chelating shampoo. So, if this happens again, maybe just try an extra shampoo.

I wonder if the crispy ends were a combination of oil build up and then protein sensitivity, since you said it got worse after deep conditioning?

spidermom
September 19th, 2019, 02:50 PM
I agree with lapushka - watch out for baking soda! It once made my hair matt together like felt. I couldn't comb my hair unless it was wet and full of conditioner. It took about 2 weeks of daily conditioner soaks to get it back to normal.

S&S
September 19th, 2019, 03:52 PM
I used castor oil on the lengths of my hair as a "mask" 5 years ago and it left my hair exactly as you described ... :mad

Glad your hair is feeling normal again!