PDA

View Full Version : Types of Braids vs Amount of Shred

FrayedFire
September 15th, 2019, 07:41 PM
I usually wear either an english or a rope braid, and it seems to me that I get less frizz with rope, but I don't know that it actually shreds less even if it feels more protective than english. Am I just imagining this?

Kat
September 15th, 2019, 09:42 PM
I actually find *more* shred with a rope braid! Maybe mine has more hair "unsecured" in each turn than an English braid so it's easier for little bits to pull out? That's interesting that for you it's *more* secure.

MusicalSpoons
September 16th, 2019, 08:27 AM
I usually wear either an english or a rope braid, and it seems to me that I get less frizz with rope, but I don't know that it actually shreds less even if it feels more protective than english. Am I just imagining this?

I've only worn a rope braid once or twice (it kills my hands) but I thought the same. With buns I find twisting my hair is usually quite good at trapping all errant ends that might otherwise want to poke out, rather than wrapping (but wrapping is more structurally secure overall and doesn't kill my hands, so I tend to stick with that).

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2019, 08:53 AM
The shred on rope and fishtail always seem more dramatic than a basic braid, but that may also be because I don't do those other braids as often and so I'm more likely to pay attention to them.